edit a drop down list

Hello,  I have 2 questions

1. for an existing drop down list, how can I add a new entry?  That is, a
list named "division" now contains 5 items, and I want to add a sixth.  I've
tried to highlight all 6 items and typing "division" into the name box, but
that just jumps me to the original 5 names.  I also tried highlighting the
original 5 and deleting the "division" from the name box, but again no luck.

2.  Can I enlarge the font on a drop down list, so it appears larger when
the arrow is clicked?  The font is very small at present.
0
PaulP (9)

To change the name reference:

Choose Insert>Name>Define
In the list of names, select Division
In the Refers To box, change the reference, to include the new items
Click OK

If this is a data validation dropdown, you can't make the font larger,
but there are a couple of workarounds here:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Larger

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Import Sender Filtering List?
I have a huge list of email addresses I want to export from my Outook Blocked Senders list and import into Exchange 2003 Sender Filtering. Is there a way to import a list, rather than typing in each one individually? I'm already using connector filtering. On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:07:03 -0800, "CBA/EBPA Tech" <CBA/EBPA Tech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a huge list of email addresses I want to export from my Outook Blocked >Senders list and import into Exchange 2003 Sender Filtering. Is there a way >to import a list, rather than typing in each on...

Smart list downloads, how to use?
I have downloaded some smartlists from Microsoft for the manufacturing tables. They are .xml files. How do I import them into Great Plains? -- Sheri Salomone THANKS! Assuming SLB is installed, go to Tools >> SmartList Builder >> Import. Select the file you want to import. Please read the SmartList Builder Users Guide beginning on Page 40. "Sheri Salomone" <SheriSalomone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE70A3D5-230C-4375-B00C-CAF313C877AB@microsoft.com... >I have downloaded some smartlists from Microsoft for the manufacturing > tables....

Correcting a typo in large value list
I'm new to Project so this may be simple. I have several project files that the value list for a Text column was incorrectly entered. Is there a way I can add a string prefix to all 200+ values in the list? For example, the data I have in the Text13 column is "1.3.1" and I want "ABC.1.3.1". I've tried to do a formula but I keep getting a recursive error since I need the new value to be in Text13 plus I need to keep the ability to be able to select a new value from the list (in case something changes). If it was Excel, this would be simple becaus...

Outlook 2000 Master Category Lists
How can I copy a Master Category List from one user to another user? Thanks. The Master Category List is stored in the registry. See if the information on the following page helps: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olcat.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Trevor" <trevors@rennicks.com.au> wrote in message news:07f401c357ed$106efa40$a301280a@phx.gbl... > How can I copy a Master Category List from one user to > another ...

How do I scramble a list in excel?
I would like to scramble a list of words so that they are not in an particular order. Can I do this somehow? The simplest way is to insert =rand() in the cells next to the word column select both columns and sort by the rand column. If you dont like the order just sort again. "Cate" wrote: > I would like to scramble a list of words so that they are not in an > particular order. Can I do this somehow? Just run this formula in the cells next to the words then sort both columns: =RAND() Regards, Ron Assuming the words are in individual cells, use a help column and in t...

Expanded Drop Down Box Question
I am trying to create a drop down box that will automatical populate other boxes. I have a worksheet with a list of Locations with their latidue and longitude coordinates. I am trying to make a drop down box in another worksheet where I select the location and then excel automatically fills in the next 2 colums with the lat/long data. Is there a way I can make this happen? Hi Rob, I believe using VLOOKUP can do what you want. With the location name in column A and the latitude in column B and the longitude in column C and the drop down cell is F1... In G1 =VLOOKUP(F1...

Easy way to get list of blocked from sale items
Hi, I was looking for a way to generate a list of all items in the store with the block sale check box active. If there is a way to get this inside RMS or through a SQL query that would be great. Thanks, Skyler Hi Skyler - try SELECT * FROM ITEM WHERE BLOCKSALESTYPE = 1; Hope this helps..... "Skyler Lister Aley" wrote: > Hi, I was looking for a way to generate a list of all items in the store with > the block sale check box active. If there is a way to get this inside RMS or > through a SQL query that would be great. > > Thanks, Skyler hi I just add with th...

validating contact list
I once sent an email to someone that had an add on or some service for validating incoming emails. The first time you contact the recipient, the service autoresponded with a message asking you to validate and type the characters seen on the screen. The recipient also had the ability to check the address of the incoming mail and accept or reject the email once the sender jumped over the first barrier requiring the confirmation of the real email. Can anyone tell me how to add this functionality? I would like to use such a system for making email more private. This is a feature of cert...

Remove Limit to list when in filter
Hi all, I have a main data entry form, Frm_Tbl_Master_Jobs, on which there is a combo box, cbo_RepName, that contains names of sales reps. I have set the Limit to List property on cbo_RepName to yes; however, when filtering I need this to remove the Limit to List restriction because even though a rep no longer is available for a new record they have been entered on previous records and therefore I should be able to filter on that name even though it is not available. I want the Limit to list to remain in place for new records. How do I remove the Limit to List restriction on the fil...

Install Fax Component Windows XP 2000 Home Edition
Fire likes plastic. I have no cd anymore. I have tried and searched to find a way to install the fax or download a replacement. Can anyone help? A modem often comes with fax software "candeapplered" <candeapplered@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:465FAD8B-204E-4EC8-BCF9-98577B4BB85C@microsoft.com... > Fire likes plastic. I have no cd anymore. I have tried and searched to > find > a way to install the fax or download a replacement. Can anyone help? ...

Excel drop down multiple linked lists (validation?)
I would like to set up two drop down lists that are related. For example in list 1 I want particular sections of a production process and the selectable contents of list 2 needs to be driven or filtered by the first list. For example In cell A2 a user would select "line section A", from a drop down list or similar, the user would then select cell B2 and there would be several selectable faults that correspond to line section A only, e.g. "pump", "motor", "die" etc. I know I could achieve the above just by having a long list..... Line section A - Pump L...

HELP! Drop Down missing information
I have a customer using an application that has a few drop down combo boxes. The main one is a drop down which is a search and displays 12 pieces of information :File Nbr, Customer, Date, Product, Masterbill, House Bill, Nbr Pieces . . . Suddenly this morning, the user clicks on the drop down, NONE of the customer information appears anymore! NOTHING has been changed with the application. When the user goes to Customer Maintenance, the drop down for it doesn't display either, although there are numerous records in the drop down, none of the info displays. However, just because ...

Distribution Lists
Hi - when I select members (using categories) for a distribution list (and our co's can be large), BOTH the e-mail address and business fax get pulled into the list; we then have to go in and manually select the e-mail recipients. Is there any way to have Outlook pull in only the e-mail address? Thanks You need to clarify what you are trying to do. The standard behavior for the Outlook Address book is to display all electronic addresses (both fax and e-mail). That behavior cannot be changed. The only way to prevent the display of fax numbers is to store them in a different field or to d...

Point mode in Edit data series
When I edit my data series on a scatter chart, cell mode goes to "Point". This means for example that when I want to use the arrow keys to move between the characters in the formula in "Series X values", the cell marker on the spreadsheet moves and cellreferences are added to the formula. I saw that if I press F2 the cell mode goes to "Edit" and now I can move the marker between the characters using the arrowkeys. if I press F2 again cell mode moves back to "Point" However, for every time I edit my data series I need to press F2 to make it behave...

Dropped Initial Word
I have Office 2007 Word running on XP Service Pack 2. I know how to make a drop cap for the starting paragraph in a paper. Is there any way to make the entire first word drop 2 or 3 lines depending on what I need? As an example if I were to type the sentence "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country." I would want to drop the word Now not just the N. Select the whole word and then apply drop cap formatting. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Deej Hernandez" <DeejHernandez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Result list problem
Hi I'm using this formula, =RANK(B10;B$10:B$48)+COUNTIF(B$10:B10;B10)-1 (In B column the points are.), to calculate in which place the competitors are. I have copy this fro another worksheet I have and there it works well, but now it onl display 0 (zero) in the new workbook. Have some one an idee what's wrong!? Run -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

List command buttons in a form
Hi, I have a lot of command buttons within a form and in the future there could even be more. The name of this command button needs to be created dynamically. I could to this with relative easy by manually programming something in VBA for every command button. However it would be a lot more efficient if i could dynamically create a list of the the command buttons of the form. And then for each element get the name. Does anyone know how you can get a list of all command buttons from a form within VBA? You can use the following to loop through all the control of your form Dim ctl as Control...

can i select from list by typing first letter of word?
I HAVE VERY LONG LISTS OF VEHICLES/CUSTOMERS ETC, IS THERE ANY WAY THAT I CAN KEY IN THE FIRST LETTER OF WHAT I WANT AND THE LIST MOVES DOWN TO THAT SECTION? Yes, but you don't need to yell (use of all caps is yelling). You need a Worksheet_Change event macro and a regular macro to accomplish this. You can have a cell into which you type the first letter of the section you want. Hit Enter and the screen will immediately jump to put the first cell of that section at the top left corner of the screen. The macros look like this: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) I...

Recalculate edited Arrays
2003 on XP. I have a large range that is full of arrays, the formula works well but when I need to expand the range to cover the new year, I find/replace the specific cell for the new year, but then how can I recalculate all the cells in one go instead of editing and Ctrl+Shft+Return each cell individually? Many thanks DeanH Please ignore previous question, all sorted, age-onset-moment. Sorry. Have a nice day. "DeanH" wrote: > 2003 on XP. > I have a large range that is full of arrays, the formula works well but when > I need to expand the range to cover the new year, ...

Macro to update charts without editing source data manually
Is there a macro I can create that will update a chart automaticall when I add extra data, without having to reselect the new range of th source data -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Jon Peltier has instructions for creating dynamic charts: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html sray < wrote: > Is there a macro I can create that will update a chart automatically > when I add extra data, without having to reselect the new range of the > source data? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Outlook 2007 - Dist List
I have created a comprehensive Contacts database for a small business. I then created a Distribution List of these contacts. My conundrum is that contacts in the db without e-mail addresses do not appear in the Members list so that I can add them to the DL. They appear in the Contracts db, just as I've entered them, when I search it. I'm a reasonably savvy Outlook user and this one little [non-intuitive] thing is frustrating. I feel like this is a matter of a simple setting. Appreciate any direction as to how I can get these contacts into the DL. Thank you. &qu...

Editing Views
While it is possible to edit the views for some entities, it has come to my attention that editing views suh as 'history' within an entity is not possible (or at least easily accessible), and doesnt simply follow the format as laid out by the user for 'Activities'. Does anyone know a way to edit this view, as I would like to add some fields to this view. Also, is there any way to change the status of some read-only entities so that one can alter the display name of attributes. This would also help in regards to views, as some of our employees wish for attributes to have...

Mailing List Questions
I've got a rather long mailing list in Excel and am not familiar with = all the calculation features in Excel. Hoping someone can help me with = this. One column is zip codes (5-digit). I would like to know how to make a = list showing the number of entries in each zip code. Basically that's = the question. I'm doing it the old fashion way now.=20 I upload a file at alt.binaries.crafts.pictures to show what I'm asking = about. If you can't get access to it, post what binary group you can, = and I'll post it there also. (Actually 3 files - different formats so = an...

how to merge 2 different versions of same file edited on differen.
Hi maybe post your question as body of the message :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ys" <ys@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:8718D1D0-3CFB-4A27-BA08-58BE3DF35882@microsoft.com... > "ys" wrote: > Hello, you didnt happen to ever figure out how to do this did you? I am trying to figure out how to do the same thing. If i find out ill let you know.... ...

Edit dropdown lists?
Hello, How do I remove some of the unwanted categories from the dropdown list in the Bank account Transaction forms in Money 2006 Deluxe? Thanks. Mike By editing the Categories list. Go to Account List and one on or the other of the pull out/drop down/pop-up/-over/-under menus (what a joy the M05/6 UI--and I don't have one handy to be more precise) you will find a Categories & Payees choice that will then have a Categories choice. That list can be edited using buttons at the bottom or r-click menus. "Mike" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote in message news:OkoPxecoGHA.2...