Duplicate entries in excel spreadsheet

I have lists of attendees to an annual event. I've taken the lists and
combined them, and sorted them by first and last name alpha.  I want to keep
the names and corresponding collumns for those that attended my event more
than once and dump the rest.  Is there a way to sort them quickly as i have
over 15,000 names.
Cheers!

I'd insert two new columns before the list, say A and B.  In the first data
row in B, say B2, I'd enter a formula that combines the first and last names
to create a field the uniquely identifies each record: =C2&D2 and copy it
down to all records.  Next in A2 enter this formula: =IF(B2=B1,A1+1,1) and
copy it down.

Change Calc mode to Manual if it's not.  Then sort by column A.  All the
"2"s are the records you want.  Select the range from the first 2 to the
last, copy, and paste it in a new sheet.

--
Jim
"Coldsplice" <Coldsplice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I have lists of attendees to an annual event. I've taken the lists and
| combined them, and sorted them by first and last name alpha.  I want to
keep
| the names and corresponding collumns for those that attended my event more
| than once and dump the rest.  Is there a way to sort them quickly as i
have
| over 15,000 names.
| Cheers!

0
jrrech (1932)

Mass Data Entry for a Junction Table
On my Junction table we track the employee and what education offerings they have attended. We have found that we have multiple employees attending the same offerings on the same day. (makes sense, if a class is offered one day you will about 20-30 people in that class) Is there any way to simplify the data entry process. Right now on the form the person doing data entry selects the employee, the education offering and the date. This has to be done for each attendee. What would be great would be to create a form that allows you to select a course and a date, and then select mult...

Excel 2007: Problem with refresh screen (when minimizied)
Hello On our network (around 40 workstations; Win XP Pro and Office 2007) we have particular the following problem: The user minimized the Excel programm window and do some other works in other applications, return to the minimized Excel window and want to maximize the Excel window. Result: The Excel window is empty. You can paricular see some rows or colums but often not. We try out also other graphic card but get no success. Any ideas? Kind regards, Martin Schweizer ...

Can i use Windows Search to find a number within Excel?
If i use Widnows search of the CONTENTS of files (not file names), i find in Excel, that for cells that contain text, they can be found. But, it does not appear to me that numbers can be found. Of course the number as Excel stores it may differ from how it is displayed. But, does anybody know if this is possible? For instance, i have a cell with the number 3,709,227 in it, as it appears in Excel (as formatted). I tried typing the number both with and without the commas, into WIndows search, but Windows search still does not find the Excel file that contains that number. So, any kn...

excel 97 filename truncation in Windows XP Pro
I have a legacy application that runs in Excel 97. I have Excel 97 and Excel XP loaded on a new machine that runs Windows XP Pro. The legacy application fails because the filename of a workbook is truncated during the saveas command. When I do a manual saveas in Excel 97, the filename truncates to the first letter. If I do the same thing in Excel XP, the saveas works normally. There have been a few posts describing the same problem. I searched google and found this: http://google.com/groups?threadm=020101c30916%2442320250%24a501280a%40phx.gbl The last post in the thread suggested an answe...

Office 2003 Opening a new Excel Doc.
I just updated to Office 2003 and everytime I open up a new workbook a blank workbook name PERSONAL opens as well. How do I change that from happeneing?? Thanx, Jesse Hi Jesse Window>Hide and save the personal.xls When you record a macro you have the option to save the macro in this hidden workbook so you can use the macro in all your workbooks. You can find the file in your Xlstart folder -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jesse" <Jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65505D55-31EB-4BAA-A32D-B052F70E03AD@microsoft.com... >I just...

Two Excel tables in MS Query
How can I link two tables in two Excel-files, in MS Query and result view in PivotTable? ---------------------------------------------------------------------- I can link two tables in one Excel-file. ActiveSheet.PivotTableWizard SourceType:=xlExternal, SourceData:=Array( _ "SELECT `TKG_DATA$`.YEAR, `TKG_DATA$`.MONTH, `TKG_DATA$`.DAY, `TKG_DATA$`.TIME, `TKG_DATA$`.`INC/OUT`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C59/170`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C46/158`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C356/137`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C355/358`, `TKG" _ , _ "_DATA$`.`C354/357`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C32/142`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C30/116`, `TKG_D...

unneeded duplicate namespace reference
Hi community, I would like to identify a part of one xml document via a XPath and then to copy the element (with all its child nodes) into another xml document to a specified location (also given via XPath). All that goes fine. Only one point isn't like I wanna have it: the element, that has been inserted into the target document, has an additional (redundant) namespace attribute. Here my small demo application: using System; using System.Xml; using System.Xml.XPath; namespace NSPConfusion { class Program { static void Main(string[] args) { XPath...

Merging excel office data into a publisher office project(Australi
Having problems when I get to the point in the merge wizard "catalog merge template", with the DOB format to be entered into the membership card that I have made in Publisher. It reverts back to American date format. Could the problem be in the edit record section? All seems to be okay till then. I have checked the regional settings etc., all okay. When I have finished template of merge & highlighted the DOB field gone to language on tool bar and set language it still doesn't work then preview, it has reverted to American. ...

how do I tell excell 2003 to print sheets back to front?
In excel 97 I could tell printer to start printing from the back page to the front so the job would come off of the printer in the right order. I cannot find that command in excell 2003. Am I overlooking it, or have they changed the command convention to an obscure, hard to understand, jargon. FILE | PRINT... | Click on the PROPERTIES button | PAGE ORDER, i.e. back to front. "goochiepepper" wrote: > In excel 97 I could tell printer to start printing from the back page to the > front so the job would come off of the printer in the right order. I cannot > find that co...

How can i get more 3D shapes for Auto shapes in excel?
Please suggest how i can get more shapes (simple as well as 3D ) in Auto Shapes of drawing toolbar in excel & word? ...

Problems running Duplicate Detection in CRM 4.0 in web interface
When I click on Workplace -> Duplicate Detection, I receive the following error: "Error: An error has occurred. Try this action again. If the problem continues, check the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Community for solutions or contact your organizations's Microsoft Dynamics CRM Administrator. Finally, you can contact Microsoft Support." Duplicate detection is enabled and there are several duplication rules that have also been created. Those rules also can be published without error. In researching this error, the only thing I can find that has been suggested is that there i...

Export Excel file to SQL
I'm currently doing a project where it require client to export excel spreadsheets to SQL. the application that is using the excel spreadsheet exported is a web-based application. Is it possible to do that? Any suggestion or recommendation is greatly appreciated. thank you Go to Enterprise Manager. Browse to your database in the left pane (object browser). Right click your database. All Tasks --> Import Data. Next. Set your datasource to Microsoft Excel 97-2000 or whichever Excel version you have. Click the ... button next to the File Name text box and browse to your Excel sheet. M...

Excell Cells: Auto Formatting
I have protected a workesheet and unfortunately when the people submit information on the cells and it is too long than the actual height of the row and it wont extend. What can I do? When protecting the sheet allow users to format cells and rows. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:14:01 -0800, Sophie <Sophie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have protected a workesheet and unfortunately when the people submit >information on the cells and it is too long than the actual height of the row > and it wont extend. What can I do? How do I jus...

How do I create a drop down list in Excel 2003
How do I create a drop down list in Excel 2003. I've tried to use the help menu and I cannot figure it out. See: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Lenny" <Lenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F05DEA1-E264-4760-9DDE-3C97319AA1D4@microsoft.com... > How do I create a drop down list in Excel 2003. I've tried to use the help > menu and I cannot figure it out. ...

Watermark in excel 2000
Hi I'm trying to insert a watermark from a jpg file. The probem is the watermark always stays on top and cover the text, no matter I use the "send to back" button on or the item. TIA /Per Hi maybe the following sites will help you: http://www.xl-logic.com/pages/formulas.html http://www.rondebruin.nl/files/Watermark.zip And for Excel 2002+: http://cpap.com.br/orlando >-----Original Message----- >Hi > >I'm trying to insert a watermark from a jpg file. >The probem is the watermark always stays on top and cover the text, no >matter I use the "send ...

Maximum value to use autofiler feature in excel
Hi, does anybody know the maximum value to use autofilter in ms excel? I heard my friend told me that excel could filter only select data is less than 1000. He told me that he has 4000 row and use autofilter, an expected record is more than a thousand but the record display only 1000 maximum. I want to test like him too but I don't have any file that contain alot many thousand of record. Does anybody have any idea? Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Roath Kanel" <012633023@mobitel.com.kh> schrie...

Excel 2000 #38
Hi - I use Excel 2000 and wish to display negative number, accounting and currency values in parentheses. However in the Format Cell function in Excel there is no option to use parentheses. The only option is to use the -ve symbol or to display the value in red. How do I display the value in parentheses. -- Mike from Australia Hi Mike Try Format>Cells>Number>Custom $#,##0.00;[Red]($#,##0.00) Regards Roger Govier Mike wrote: > Hi - I use Excel 2000 and wish to display negative number, accounting and > currency values in parentheses. However in the Format Cell functio...

Excel 2003 ODBC Add-in
Where can I download Excel 2003 ODBC Add-In from ? Hi MS no longer delivers this addin with Excel 2003. But check out: http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/sqlrequest.html http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/xlodbc.aspx -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Excel2003User" <Excel2003User@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:687E3600-63A2-414E-A7B8-5366BE386667@microsoft.com... > Where can I download Excel 2003 ODBC Add-In from ? ...

Cross tab query with duplicates and sum of total
In excel I have 3 columns. One is job number (there are some duplicates in here), One is Type(there are 4 categories; FNF, FNT,FNS,DNT), the last row is total months (this is a dollar total). I create a pivot off this; Type goes into page, job number goes into row, and SUM of total months goes into the data field. The SUM of total months takes the duplicates of job number and add the total. What I would like to do is create a cross tab query in access and I am wondering if access Sums the total months for job number the same way excel does? ...

DDE link error Excel freezes
Hi, I am using Excel 2003 and in one sheet I have a DDE link from anothe program. When I open the sheet I get a question wether I want to updat the fields or not. When I click YES the sheet normally opens and I ca view the data. But sometimes it seems like Excel freezes and I have t wait 3-5 minutes until it resumes. Anyone that has any idea why? The source program is always started first by the way. Kennet -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Excel 2003, Opening a file
Hello Everyone, I have this problem when trying to open a file in Excel. It takes along time to drill down down in the folder list. Any ideas? Thanks -Mark I suggest putting a shortcut to the file(s) or to the buried folder that your file(s) are in. The shortcut could be on your desktop or in some folder close to the "surface". To create the shortcut or your desktop you can navigate to the desired folder (using My Computer), right click and drag the folder to your desktop. When you release respond that you want to create a shortcut (rather than moving or copying...

Excel cell display
I want a text box to display when I click on a particular cell - how can I make that happen? Would Insert> Comment work for you? "slantt" wrote: > I want a text box to display when I click on a particular cell - how can I > make that happen? Yes, thanks - I found that after I posted of course (newbie to Excel). I was looking to see if there was a macro I could gen to do the same thing... "ufo_pilot" wrote: > Would > Insert> Comment > work for you? > > > "slantt" wrote: > > > I want a text box...

Question On Excel Formulas
Hello, Is there a way (addin utilities or otherwise) to cause the formula in a cell to display the values for the component references making up the formula? -i.e =A1 *(B2+C4)/D2 would display based on the cell reference values as: =5*(4+6)/8 Thanks for your help, David S> Not in that way, AFAIK But look at Tools>Formula Auditing>Evaluate Formula BTW your requirement is one reason why I always recommend to do small steps per cell, so you can easily check all intermediate result. In your case, Cell1: =B2+C4 Cell2: =Cell1/D2 Cell3: =A1*Cell2 -- Kind regards, Niek Otten...

can i not allow duplicate values in the same column?
is there a way to set columns to not accept duplicate information? Take a look at http://cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm In article <4765FB37-8F89-4220-A901-B289FDCDE23F@microsoft.com>, excel newbie <excel newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > is there a way to set columns to not accept duplicate information? If the values are typed in you can use this: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm Regards, Peo Sjoblom "excel newbie" wrote: > is there a way to set columns to not accept duplicate information? ...

Conditional Formatting in Excel 2007 #2
Hi guys, I have been asked to prepare a spreadsheet that uses conditional formatting on another cell. What it needs to do is that is a cell contains a particular value i.e. between 2 and 6 the adjacent cell will turn say blue, but the issue is that there is up to 6 different rules that could be applied to that one cell. All of these rules then need to work for the subsequent entries. If anyone could help me with this issue I would be very grateful. Many Thanks Didi On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 03:10:07 -0700 (PDT), didi <diane.bush@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: >Hi guys, > >I have been a...