Drop Down List Questions

Hi,

I have a couple of problems with drop down lists I was
hoping to get some help on:

1) The drop down lists appear with the list displayed in
the middle of the list instead on the first item, can
that be changed so the list appears at the top of the
list instead of in the middle?

2) Two of the columns are an item name (A) followed by
the item number (B). Is it possible to have the item
number in column B enter automaticly based on the name I
select in column A?

Thanks in advance, Tagg
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi
for the second question you may use VLOOKUP. See:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/vlookup.htm

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Tagg Bowman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:500e01c49105$8a313080$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of problems with drop down lists I was
> hoping to get some help on:
>
> 1) The drop down lists appear with the list displayed in
> the middle of the list instead on the first item, can
> that be changed so the list appears at the top of the
> list instead of in the middle?
>
> 2) Two of the columns are an item name (A) followed by
> the item number (B). Is it possible to have the item
> number in column B enter automaticly based on the name I
> select in column A?
>
> Thanks in advance, Tagg

0
frank.kabel (11126)
9/2/2004 4:02:44 PM
There is probably a blank cell at the bottom of your list source. When
the dropdown list opens, it matches the cell value to an item in the
list, if one exists.

Delete the blanks from the source, and the problem should disappear. If
you're leaving blanks so the list can grow, you can use a dynamic name
for the range instead. There are instructions on my web site:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

There's a sample file here that uses data validation and a VLookup
formula to fill in an order form:

Under 'Data Validation' look for "Order Form"

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

DL owners can't modify lists 04-09-10
So we've just completed a review of all our distribution lists - many had no owners, were not used anymore, etc. We cleaned up a lot of stuff and assigned an owner to each list, then notified the new owners that they are in fact now owners. Several of them are running into problems whereby they cannot modify the group. They get an error message saying You do not have sufficient permissions to update the list. Can someone give me some ideas on where to start troubleshooting this? Not all owners have this problem - just a handful of them. Thanks! Just found the solution -...

DMM Duplicate List Values
well, this is my first real cut at trying to use the 4.0 DMM, and I have to say it sucks. I want to go back to the 3.0 version. (at least I could manipulate the data in the DM tables if I needed to). And I can't get it to install on the SQL Server box either. anywho, all I want to do is assign different input values to a one picklist value - if its ON, on, Ont, Ontario,,,,, I want the picklist value to be 'Ontario' - just a little light data cleansing. I can't do it in the Mapping tool in CRM - I can do it using the 'sample' mapping editor, but then the DMM thr...

Distribution list with CC
Is there a way to have a distribution list that has both To and CC addresses? Where an address or DL is placed is not a property of the address or DL. User does that at the time of composition. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Pencil" <pencil@unlisted.com> wrote in message news:Xns980C819F074DApencilunlistedcom@208.49.80.60... > Is there a way to have a distribution list that has both To and CC > addresses? > ...

Inventory Price List Integration in GP10
I created an integration to update some inventory items. I needed to add a new price level but this part of the integration did not update. I tried it with both one source table and with a separate source table for the main card and pricelist. Did something break in GP10 Integration Manager to keep me from updating pricelists? I'm on service pack 3 for GP and IM. ...

Discrepancy encountered when attempted to convert a MS Excel list to MS Access
When I attempted to convert a excel list to access database using Excel's menu [Data, Convert to MS Access], I received the following message. Has anyone seen this message before? If so, how do you overcome the discrepancy? I found something similar within Microsoft knowledge base, but it reference importing from Access. Thank you very much in advance. Error message: The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object '<name of selected range>'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly. ...

Custom Lists in Excel
I know the default custom lists in Excel are an effort to make life simpler, but I want to delete them because they are causing other list sorting incorrect. For example, I study car sales, and we have 3 digit names for car makes. Saturn is one of those makes. Your custom list interprets 'SAT' as Saturday and places it on the top of the list. This is a nuisance. Please allow us to override those default lists. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "...

Question about concatenate
Hello, I have a table that has three fields across (ID#, Q01, Notes). Under the ID# column I have several customer IDs: 1, 2, 3, etc... And under the Q01 column is the response to a customer question in which they could choose multiple answers: A, B, C, D, etc... The problem arises in that if a customer has multiple answers, they are on a separate line. For example, if ID# 1 answered A, B, and C the first three rows would be: 1 A 1 B 1 C I would like to make one row per customer ID#. That way I have one row per ID#, for example: 1 A,B,C I believe I need to use an I...

db size question
I performed an offline defrag. the total size before defrag was 74G. - after defrag 47G. Although it is substantial the problem is that when I add up my user's email size it come out to around 20G - while the priv.edb is showing 37G. I have the deletion and mailbox setting set to zero so I'm wondering how or why the db is not a lower size. Any help would be appreciated. Mark You need to allow InfoStore maintenance to complete all the expiration/consolidation tasks for offline defrag to reduce file sizes. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/159306/en-us and http://sup...

Go To Record Question
I have a form (Contacts) where I do all of my data entry. I want to create a Switchboard to quickly access reports and perform various functions. I want to have a Go To Record function on the Switchboard. When I select the account from the combo box, it would take me to that particular record on the Contacts form. I know how to do this with a combo box on the Contacts form, but how do I do it from a different form? Thanks! Scott Hi, Here is some simple code you use with a combo box. Private Sub cbomycomboboxname_AfterUpdate() Dim strCbo As Long strCbo = Me!cbomycomboboxname ...

Distribution list #19
Hi as you may have seen from other posts I am having numerous problems with outlook 2003. Now I noticed that in my distribution list there is no + sign on the left of it when in the to field. I read Ms article 831398 and my settings were at 8, so that wasn't the problem. I tried uninstalling outlook, then I did a search in the registry for outlook, I deleted everything I saw with outlook in it. Deleted my ..pst files and everything in that directory. Then I re-booted re-installed outlook from scratch and whamo all my problems are back. No plus sign and address book crashing. What else can...

Web Service Query Question
I have 3 conditions in my webservice that i use to retrieve contact records from crm. The first two conditions ( Firstaname and Lastname) are mandatory and the last one (date of birth) is not. I want to exclude the last condition if it is empty. Here is my code which doesnt work. At the end i have an if statement which I thought it will do what i want. Please help // Return distinct values query.Distinct = true; // Setup the query for the contact entity query.EntityName = "contact"; // Specify th...

OWA Question
Can anyone help me with this problem? We use Public Folders on our exchange server in order to have a central place to post info like programs, pricelists, telephone lists, etc. We have some external users who wish to use Outlook Web Access (OWA) in order to be able to view their mail. Because they're not in the USA, dialup is not an option for them. Because they're satellite connected, they cannot use VPN. The problem with it that we've seen is Public Folders (and forms), which are really 2 problems. First: The folders display fine. The contents of them, the dates, etc. sh...

How can I use a named range for "pick from drop-down list"?
When the (right-click) "Pick From Drop-Down List..." command is used in Excel to facilitate key-entry, it only works for contiguous entries in cells in the column above the input cell. blank cells in between break the link. Is there a way to designate a named range of terms as the basis for the "drop-down" list? Microsoft,this should be a standard option! You can use data validation>make a list >name it >in the data>validation>select list >=mylist -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "InstantZen" <InstantZen@discussions.m...

Not listing sent mail
When I send an attachment by right clicking on the file it never shows up as being sent in the live.com address. But now I find that it shows as sent in the windows mail, they are both the same e mail address, I am using vista home premium and was using windows mail until live.com came out. Can I fix it? Thanks -- KCH That depends on what you mean by "fix it". What do you want to happen when you send a file in that fashion? If you don't want Windows Mail to handle it, but you want your Hotmail/Live webmail to handle it, then apply the following fix. To make Hot...

print a list of reports in access
Does anyone know of a way to print a listing of all your reports in the Reports Object section. just go tools->analyse->documenter You can print out all information about the reports. Play with the "options" button, as these documenter printouts tend to be very large.... -- Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP) Edmonton, Alberta Canada pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com >> Thank you. I tried that but it gives all the detail. I was just >> interested in the names, but I will take your suggestion and play with >> the options button. Thanks again. ah...ok.....

Starting a different numbered list
In Word 2007, the first part of the document has a multilevel list beginning with Heading 1 and continuing through Heading 4. Fine. Now I want to begin a new mulitnumbered list under Appendix 1. But when I insert the Heading 1 style and right-click, the dropdown that appears does not even include a "restart at 1" option. I don't want to number my Appendix 1 headings beginning with "5," but that seems what Word is telling me I have to do. Suggestions appreciated. -- Wallace If you first click to select the actual list number, you should then be able to ...

Background colour in a list box
Hello, I want to mark the last choosen entries in a list box by changing the background colour of the text strings (MFC / VC6). I am not shure if this is possible. Thanks for any clue! Kai Sandner Kai Sandner wrote: > Hello, > > I want to mark the last choosen entries in a list box by changing the > background > colour of the text strings (MFC / VC6). > I am not shure if this is possible. > > Thanks for any clue! > Kai Sandner > A list box with the owner-draw style set lets you draw each individual item any way you like. It means you will have to paint t...

Excel drop down boxes
I have created a few drop down boxes on an excel spreadsheet, that work out great... But now I am trying to figure out if there is a way to hide the actual button for the drop down box so that it doesn't show up when printing the sheet.. I want the information that is contained in the drop down to appear when printed but I don't want that arrow button to show up... Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated... If you right click them, and select the format button at the bottom of the Menu (paint and brush symbol), you should see a Property tag in the middle. There should a checkb...

Notes question
Hello, Which form is GP Notes based on? If you attach a external file, where does it get stored? SQL Server or to a file system with a pointer in the database? Thanks, gsvi OLE notes are stored in a file in the OLE folder under your GP folder. The folder address is defined in the INI file on each workstation and, for them to work correctly, should all be pointing to the same shared folder. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP http://www.AccoladePublications.com Documentation for Software Users "gsvi" wrote: > Hello, > > Which form is GP Notes based on?...

Money 2003
I seem to be stuck in Portfolio nightmare. I have created 4 seperate portfolio accounts as IRA Roth - B, IRA Roth - J, IRA - B and IRA - J. When I donwload the data from my mutual fund provider, one of 6 accounts wants to contnue to drop its data into IRA - B when in fact in should be dropping into IRA - J. Out of 6 accounts (funds) under these 4 portfolio's, only this one fund places its data in the wrong place. There must be a fund that has been deleted, stored somehwere with the wrong account information in it but I can't seem to figure out how to find old accounts/fun...

Chart question #3
Calling all smart people (geniuses) on this board: I need to create a custom chart that does the following: * Horizontal (left-to-right) * Single data point moves along value axis (x-axis) * Here's the cool part: the single data point must be a picture Okay, I got "pretty" close, here's how: - I created a bar chart (horizontal by default) - I right-clicked the bar - I selected "Format Data Series" then clicked the "Patterns" tab - I then clicked the "Fill Effects" button then the "Picture" tab - Then I clicked the "Select Pictu...

How to create a drop down list with different values
I'm a beginner of Excel 2000 and I would like to create a drop down list on the airfares, where different locations can be chosen, and when a location is chosen, the cost will appear in the colums on the right. Expenses Unit Cost 1 Day 2Days 1. Airfares (here is where I need help) 2. Hotel $100 $100 $200 3.Transport $100 $100 $110 Total xxx xxx xxx eg. If HK-GZ is chosen, I can see the cost appears in the same row. The end result will be getting the total sum of all the ...

List of known File Types for Office Applications
Greetings, As per my post here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsto/thread/5bb16f8a-deec-4a39-96cc-3631ae98059f I'm trying to find a way of getting a list of known file extensions (in string format) for various Office applications. For example, if my plugin is running in Word, i'd like to get all the known file types: "docx", "doc", etc. Anyone have any insight? KPD explained on 12/15/2009 : > Greetings, > > As per my post here: > http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsto/thread/5bb16f8a-deec-4a39-96cc-3631a...

Stupid question
I'm currently using Microsoft Money 2005 and they are continuously trying to sell me 2006. So why am I still using office 2003? (and One Note 2003) When is an update that really improves on some of these Outlook probs & expands some of the valued features expected??? Money and Outlook have nothing to do with each other. What are you really asking? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, spondee asked: | I'm...

SQL.REQUEST Question
Hi Does anyone know if it is possible to use this function without having pre-defined an ODBC connection? Regards - Grant ...