Dragging data without changing cell borders

Does anyone know how to drag data only from one cell to
others, without dragging borders, colours, etc. so I don't
have to go back and fix up all the borders and colours
again? Is there a simple setting which allows dragging of
data to be done where only the data is dragged?
Colin Gibson

Hi Colon,
Assuming you have text values and not formulas.

Rather than dragging you could   copy (ctrl+C)   or  Cut (Ctrl+X)
and then   Edit, Paste Special,  Values

If you have numbers or formulas  you would have to paste formula,
and format  separately.
---
HTH,

"Colin.Gibson@wmc.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:337e01c467b8$9bf1e060$7d02280a@phx.gbl...
> Does anyone know how to drag data only from one cell to
> others, without dragging borders, colours, etc. so I don't
> have to go back and fix up all the borders and colours
> again? Is there a simple setting which allows dragging of
> data to be done where only the data is dragged?
> Colin Gibson

0
dmcritchie (2586)
7/12/2004 2:56:30 AM
David,

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.  Paste Special - Values works
with numbers or text, and leaves the destination formatting intact.  For a
formula, similarly, you can use Paste Special - Formulas.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi Colon,
> Assuming you have text values and not formulas.
>
> Rather than dragging you could   copy (ctrl+C)   or  Cut (Ctrl+X)
> and then   Edit, Paste Special,  Values
>
> If you have numbers or formulas  you would have to paste formula,
> and format  separately.
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "Colin.Gibson@wmc.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:337e01c467b8$9bf1e060$7d02280a@phx.gbl...
> > Does anyone know how to drag data only from one cell to
> > others, without dragging borders, colours, etc. so I don't
> > have to go back and fix up all the borders and colours
> > again? Is there a simple setting which allows dragging of
> > data to be done where only the data is dragged?
> > Colin Gibson

0
nowhere1083 (630)
7/12/2004 3:28:15 AM
Sorry,  I realized that pasting values  would not be what was wanted if there
were  formulas also involved.   The two would have to be done separately
  --  paste special constants
  --  paste special formulas.

---
HTH,

"Earl Kiosterud" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:eJoPHB8ZEHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> David,
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.  Paste Special - Values works
> with numbers or text, and leaves the destination formatting intact.  For a
> formula, similarly, you can use Paste Special - Formulas.
>
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>
> "David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Colon,
> > Assuming you have text values and not formulas.
> >
> > Rather than dragging you could   copy (ctrl+C)   or  Cut (Ctrl+X)
> > and then   Edit, Paste Special,  Values
> >
> > If you have numbers or formulas  you would have to paste formula,
> > and format  separately.
> > ---
> > HTH,
> > David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
> > My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
> > Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm
> >
> > "Colin.Gibson@wmc.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:337e01c467b8$9bf1e060$7d02280a@phx.gbl...
> > > Does anyone know how to drag data only from one cell to
> > > others, without dragging borders, colours, etc. so I don't
> > > have to go back and fix up all the borders and colours
> > > again? Is there a simple setting which allows dragging of
> > > data to be done where only the data is dragged?
> > > Colin Gibson

0
dmcritchie (2586)

Preserving Cell Formats in Excel Query
I am doing queries on a large workbook of multiple Excel spreadsheets. When I query the data, the original data formats don't carry through to the query results. Is there a way to carry original formatting through to Excel Query results Any insight would be appreciated Karen S No, you can import the data, but not the formats. If you're importing programmatically, you could apply the formatting as part of the import procedure. Karen S wrote: > I am doing queries on a large workbook of multiple Excel spreadsheets. When I query the data, the original data formats don't car...

i can change the font on the screen to be large but can't print t.
i am trying to make the print on my spreadsheet larger. i can change the font on the screen but it still prints the smaller font?????help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hi Maybe in the Page Setup you have this setting "fit to1 by 1 page" -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "tj" <tj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:244325C6-A407-4CD8-BE76-75AB3C93A78A@microsoft.com... >i am trying to make the print on my spreadsheet larger. i can change the > font on the screen but it still prints the smaller font?????help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

Hidden data when pasting from html page into Excel?
I have a situation where I copy a report, which is generated as an html page, into Excel for analysis. When a new copy/version of the report is available, I copy and paste the new data over top of the old in Excel. I've noticed that the size of my Excel file is growing after each copy/paste situation. To manage this, I can delete the worksheet where I paste the data and reconstruct it. After doing nothing else, saving the workbook results in an immediate reduction of file size. If I simply select everything on the sheet and delete, the file size does NOT go down; I have to delet...

Format cells with dates
Is there a way to format cells so that dates would change when the lead date is changed. for example, when I input monday's date, tue, wed, thur, etc will follow suit. Pat, Assuming the first date is in A1 B1: =A1+1 C1: =B 1+1 etc. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Pat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:115681B0-348E-447E-BB1F-F8347CFDB19B@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to format cells so that dates would change when the lead date is...

Outlook 2002 and Retrieving Data Error Message
OS is Windows XP SP1 Email - Outlook 2002 SP3 Error Message: Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server <server name>. You can cancel the request or minimize this message to the Windows taskbar until Outlook closes the message automatically. Other Related Issues: At times, the message displays the correct server name and sometime it does not. At times, it displays the name of an active directory server. This only happens to workstations located in an remote office connecting to the exchange server via ADSL\VPN connection. We have one exchange 2003 server - public...

map data (x-y axis) with diffent series name
I have a set of x-y coordinate data set and i would like to plot them showing the respective series name. Is there an automatic way of doing this without haing to plot the data points separately. eg Name x y A 1 6 B 2 3 C 3 4 D 4 2 E 5 5 .. . . .. . . .. . . I will like to have a plot of x and y with A, B, C as series name without having to plot the points one after the other. Hi, Here are a couple of free addins that allow you to link data labels to cells. Rob Bovey's Char...

Change QuickFind to search contains
Hello, Is there a way to change the QuickFind to use the contains operator rather than begins with? Custom dev or third party recommendations are fine. Thanks. simply put a wildcard * in front of your search term in the query box and it will match the defined search fields for that entitiy type on a 'like" (contains) basis. ...

can comment indicator color be changed?
Hi when you put a comment in a cell the indicator is red but I have cells that are conditionally formatted to come up red if out of spec and can't see the indicator. Can the color be changed and if so how please. Thanks Karl AFAIK, no, you can't change this. Maybe you can change your CF color. Bright yellow? On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:27:02 -0700, "Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi when you put a comment in a cell the indicator is red but I have cells >that are conditionally formatted to come up red if out of spec and can't see >the indic...

How to goto cell containing specific date
Thought I asked this before, but can't find the thread w/ my question or any replies... I have a worksheet wih a full year's dates in the cells running down a colum, with other data for each date in the the adjacent columns; Instead of scrolling up & down to a cell with a specific date I'm looking for, is there another way to goto a cell containing a specific date? (e.g., today(), or another specific date) In case this is pertinent: the date series begins with the entry of one date (e.g., 01/01/2010 in cell A1), with the dates in subsequent rows arrived at ...

How do I turn the pivot chart into a list with all cells filled?
I have the pivot chart and would like to copy and paste it so that all fields are filled Select the pivot table. Choose Edit>Copy Select the cell where you'd like to paste the copy Choose Edit>Paste Special Select Values, click OK There are instructions here for filling the blanks: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html gianna wrote: > I have the pivot chart and would like to copy and paste it so that all fields > are filled -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

How do you copy a cell's content verses it's formula?
I have 2 cells and combined them into a third cell with the following formula... =a1&" "&b1. I was combining a person's first name (cell 1) with a person's second name (cell 2) so cell 3 included the first and second name. Now I want to copy and paste cell 3, but it copies the formula... I need to paste in the content (first and second name) not the formula. Hi Tammy, You could use a macro see JOIN macro on it's page http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm not what you actually asked because if would change column A with the concatenated const...

How to remove contacts when email changes
Outlook 2003 If I receive an email from a sender not on my list, that sender's email address is not automatically added to my contacts but will appear on the automated list when I enter the first letter of the sender's email address. If that sender changes email address I cannot delete the old email address. Instead I am left with two email addresses for that sender both of which will appear on the automated list. How can I remove the old email address? You seem to be confused. Receiving an email does not add an address anywhere in Outlook. Sending an email might, a...

Conditional Cell Fill?
Hello, Is there a way to use fill colors based on formulas? Thanks, Rusty Look at conditional formatting in help -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Rusty Williamson" <rusty@uno.sd.znet.com> wrote in message news:RUGlb.45764$Z86.33887@twister.socal.rr.com... > Hello, > > Is there a way to use fill colors based on formulas? > > Thanks, > Rusty > > ...

Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange Ser
Hi I keep getting a msg saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange" everytime i try and send a mail... the mail then gets stuck in my outbox. I still receive all email and this only happends over one particular broadband connection??? If i use dial up it works and if i go to some other broadband connection it works... any ideas? _VERITAS_ wrote: > Hi > I keep getting a msg saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from > the Microsoft Exchange" everytime i try and send a mail... the mail > then gets stuck in my outbox. I s...

Formatting hyperlinks in an Excel cell 02-16-10
Two of the columns in a spreadsheet (Excel 2003) that I use record email and web addresses. All of them appear as hyperlinks i.e. blue and underlined but some occasionally seem to lose their hyperlink properties. This means that when one hovers over them, the cursor stays as the usual Excel cross rather than changing to the hand/finger symbol. Also, clicking on the former does not launch the browser. Is there any way to ensure they are formatted, and work, as hyperlinks please? TIA V ...

Saving data #2
Hi all, I need to save data (results) from a base spread sheet program that i use on a weekly basis. i am in the middle of building this program, and have just discovered macros, but this, along with links is about my current knowledge of excel how can i automate to accumulate data from the base spread sheet (program) when i clear all data from the program to produce fresh results the following week, and to keep past data up to date and available for further use. Any help would be appreciated. legepe With a combination of formulas and dynamic named ranges, it is possible to just add the ...

calculation of cells
Periodically I open a work book and the calculation option has been changed to manual and I cannot figure out why. It seems that it would have to be done by a user and most of my spreadsheets are only used by me. Any ideas out there Mark, Calculation, auto or manual, is set by the first workbook that's opened. It is that way for any other workbooks opened in that instance of excel. Look for a workbook you might have opened first that's been set to Manual and saved that way. Go figure. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------...

returning vlookup values for blank cells
I have a spreadsheet that lists "soccer players" by name down the first colunm and "time in game" across the top and the position they play in array. I then use vlookup for another spreedsheet by "position" down the first column, time across the top and puts the players name into the positions. All this works fine. Since there are 5 more kids than positions, the orginal spreedsheet has blanks when the kids are out of the game. How do I use vlookup or other to extract the 5 sub'd out kids at the bottom of the 2nd spreadsheet? It only returns the nam...

Skip blank cells in diagrams
How do I exclude blank cells in diagrams. If I have an area of data and among these data some is blank. How do I get excel to not display these data as '0' but just to skip the cell. You can include the function NA() in that field and the zero value for the data won't be displayed. "hlp" <hlp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FF83D9F-F13E-4815-BDDE-26F44F2E6BE1@microsoft.com... > How do I exclude blank cells in diagrams. If I have an area of data and among > these data some is blank. How do I get excel to not display these data as '0...

Automating transfer of data in cells
I have a time management spreadsheet with data stored against work type and date. I need to transfer this data into a similar but more comprehensive spreadsheet and wonder whether it is possible to automate this task by using the work types and dates in a macro (I have almost 10 months of data to transfer), along the lines of check date, check worktype, where argument is true enter data from cell. I think I need to use visual basic, but I can't find out how in the help screens. Any advice is much appreciated. This is not difficult providing you keep your data in simple tables...

Excel 2007
Hi all, We have a spreadsheet that was set up to link to a database via a system DSN. To simplify deployment of this, I'd like to change this to connect via the connection string below: DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=xxx;UID=xxx;PWD=xxx;DATABASE=xxx; I've done this for another spreadsheet, and it was easy (Data tab- >Connections->Properties), but in this next spreadsheet the Connection Properties for one connection are greyed out/disabled, so I can't change the string. Does anyone have any ideas how to enable these values again so I can change the connection string? thanks! ...

Get Access Data into Excel
Hi All, I am using excel macro to get data from access database. My sql query gives me 5 records or more than that. I am able to pull it different cells. But I want all the 5 results in single cell. Please help im not exactly sure what your trying to do, but maybe something like this will do the trick dim accval as string accval=rs!:XXX rs.movenext accval=accval & " " & rs!:xxx loop it till rs.eof=true hth dmoney "fi.or.jp.de" wrote: > Hi All, > > I am using excel macro to get data from access database. >...

Cut'n'Pasting data
Greetings ! I have a CSV data file wot looks something like this - "1529.17698720957","133.597550559965" "1685.21901149326","132.817184396522" "1900.00000000000","130.300887834893" "2193.34485206410","121.730777157435" "2363.17295960769","114.937652855693" "2523.01169878763","108.544103288496" "3240.77088467590","87.805735336415" "3590.69860622591","81.680775462264" "4229.19543928027","78.487652800160" This data i...

Where to change my own internet adress in "FROM:" field?
I am using Outlook 2003 with Exchange server. My own eMail address is presented to recipients as Aaaaa.Bbbbbb@ccccccc.com Note: mixing of capital and lower letters I want my email address completely changed to lower letters: aaaaa.bbbbbb@ccccccc.com Where in Outlook can I change this? or is this a setting in Exchange Server ? Joe This is a setting in ADUC/Exchange. I would guess that everyone is set up with the same format throughout the company. -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "Joe deAngelo" wr...