Double Clicking to go to precendent cell

In my old version of excel I double clicked on a cell and it went to the cell the value had come from - how do I set this on in Office  2003
0
anonymous (74722)

Tools/Options/Edit - deselect "edit directly in cell"

To have it both ways, use VBA to trap the beforedoubleclick event:
right-click the sheet tab, select view code, then enter:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
    cancel=True
    Selection.DirectPrecedents.Select
End Sub

0
anonymous (74722)

What must I do to get gridlines printed for both filled and empty cells?
Hi, What must I do to get gridlines printed for both filled and empty cells? I'm a teacher, and I'm trying to replicate and print, in Excel, an attendance book format, with a series of tiny squares next to each student's name. The printed form of this would allow me to register if a student were present or absent on a particular day. Hubert -- Hubert Earl, vendor of fine Jamaican art, coffee, etc. on eBay: http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=12295024&ssPageName=L2?refid=store; Fine Jablum Blue Mountain Coffee sales page: http://stores.ebay.com/Jamaican-Coffee-Art-and-More-Store_Jab...

Sort Descending with IF and empty cells
I am trying to sort a column descending. The cells functions are =IF(J38=0,"",I38/J38). I want nothing to appear in the cell if the result is true, but this poses a problem when I run my macro for sorting descending. It puts my blank cells at the top. Is there a way to sort descending but have my blank cells all at the bottom? Any assistance would be appreciated. -- Mike Instead of returning "", you could return a large negative value, like -9999. You can apply conditional formatting such that if the cell contains -9999 the foreground co...

Sales for Outlook will not go offline
Hi have installed Sales for Outlook, and can connect successfully to the CRM Server, but when I try to go offline,a get a series of screens showing 'System cannot find specified file' and eventually a 'Metadata Cache Error, Entity does not exist'. I have not been ableto track down the problem, has anyone else seen this? This is usually results after uninstalling Microsoft CRM Server, and then backing up the databases and moving them to a different SQL Server computer. The Metadata cache error - no entity is seen when the user tries to go offline with Sales for Outlook. ...

Macro to Protect cells
Total Excel virgin here (and proud of it - LOL). I'm putting together a sheet that will have a lot of cells that a client will enter the values in, and then send to HIS client to fill in the rest. What I need to do, is pull up this sheet, allow my client to fill in the fields he needs to, then run a macro to protect (password or another variant) those cells. As I will know each and every time which cells need to be protected, what would the process be to create this? If someone would at least point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. Proud, Cells are protected w...

auto copy cell format
Hello, I have a complex spreadsheet in which I use cell formatting (shading) to illustrate where one cell value is being copied elsewhere in the same sheet. So for example I have a value 2.34 in cell C3 which is shaded pink, and another cell G24 also 2.34 also shaded pink. It is helpful for display purposes. I can set G24 to 2.34 just by setting the cell '=C3'. But can I set it to pink in a similar way? I have Excell 2007. I know how to copy a cell format using the format painter, no problem. But I have several cell connections of this sort and an automated way of doing it w...

New line in a cell
During writing text in a cell, I would like to make new line instead of continuing writing. For example, a new paragraph. Can anyone help? Abe Use <Alt><Enter>. You may have to drag the column wider to get the proper length of the line. -- Best Regards Leo Heuser Followup to newsgroup only please. "Abe" <Abe@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:A670ADE7-A526-415F-AAC1-7806836E9EA7@microsoft.com... > During writing text in a cell, I would like to make new line instead of > continuing writing. For example, a new paragraph. > > Can ...

Is there an easy way to swap the contents of two cells in Excel?
I think the subject says it all... =?Utf-8?B?Ti5CLiBZb25k?= <N.B. Yond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:4C32CCD5-DA6F-43A8-9502-B2348D183371@microsoft.com: > I think the subject says it all... > You could add a button to the sheet with following code behind it: Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() cel1 = InputBox("First cell?") cel2 = InputBox("Second cell?") c1 = Range(cel1).Value c2 = Range(cel2).Value Range(cel1).Value = c2 Range(cel2).Value = c1 End Sub You will be asked for the 2 cell addresses and the contents will be ...

Filling a cell from a Macro
Hello, I want to put a IF formula from a Macro. IE. cell= "=IF(a=b,"yes","no")" However this give an error on the " sign. How to proceed? regards, Just You need to double up on the " marks around the strings yes and no Range("C1").Formula = "=IF(A1=B1,""yes"",""no"")" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:14:59 +0200, "Just Merks" <jvw.merks@hccnet.nl> wrote: >Hello, > >I want to put a IF formula from a Macro. IE. cell= "=IF(a=b,"yes&qu...

How can I format a cell so date field only displays the Month?
I'd like to have cells with date fields only display the Month. Instead of MM-YY or MM-DD-YY...I'm looking for just MMMM. Thank you. On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:35:01 -0800, "tk_2u" <tk_2u@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'd like to have cells with date fields only display the Month. Instead of >MM-YY or MM-DD-YY...I'm looking for just MMMM. >Thank you. Format/Cells/Number Custom: mmmm --ron Right-click on the cell with the date in it > FormatCells > NumberTab > Custom > ..type MMMM in the window Vaya con Dios, Chuck CABGx3 "t...

How do I graph a cell vs one that it changes for a range of valu.
One cell changes another cell as determined by a formula not explicitly contained in either cell. I want to range a cell from 0.5-1 in small increments and line-plot it vs the other. How do I express a range of values and the steps of increments? Hi Kentlm, > One cell changes another cell as determined by a formula not explicitly > contained in either cell. > I want to range a cell from 0.5-1 in small increments and line-plot it vs > the other. > How do I express a range of values and the steps of increments? It sounds like you want a Data Table. Look in Excel's Help ...

How to trap Mouse right button click on PushButton in VC++
I want to display a popup menu if the mouse is right clicked on the PushButton. In other words, how to trap right click action on Pushbutton in VC++??? "neel" <neel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DCE3C043-A4FB-49D8-ADCF-EAB1EA682004@microsoft.com... >I want to display a popup menu if the mouse is right clicked on the > PushButton. In other words, how to trap right click action on Pushbutton > in > VC++??? WM_RIGHTCLICK is sent to the button, so you have to intercept messages to the button. You derive a class from CButton, and you add a co...

grouping cells #2
Is there a way to group cells together? I am sorting data on one sheet and this changes 1 column in another sheet. I need to have all data in a row where the 1st column sorted to move with the value from the 1st column. If I could group them together or somehow link the whole row then if the 1st column changes the rest of the info in that row would go as well. Any thoughts? Thanks, John John, In your rows, you need to have formulas (typically, VLOOKUP formulas) that extract the data based on the value of the first column (if it is unique).... HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "johnrb78...

whole rows, not cells
I want to protect a particular sheet so that the user can only select copy and paste whole rows, not individual cells. Is this possible? Maybe you could give the user a macro that would get the range to be copied, extend it to the whole row, get the row to paste, unprotect the worksheet, do the copy|Paste and then reprotect the worksheet. Something like: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim RngToCopy As Range Dim CellToPaste As Range Dim myPWD As String myPWD = "hi" Set RngToCopy = Nothing On Error Resume Next Set RngToCopy = Application.InputBo...

pasting a block of text into one cell
Hi everybody, I'm trying to paste a few passages from a book, surrounded by a trim() command, into a single cell of a worksheet. Since this has multiple lines, and tabs at the beginning of each line, the paste occurs in multiple rows and the trim() command doesn't work. Does anyone know how to paste something like this into one cell? For clarity, the block is like this: =trim( " blah blahhhhhhh zzzzz ") (with tabs before each line) Is there any way to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jezzica85 Hi, Try the =CLEAN(A1) function. -- Tha...

Formatting text within a cell
I'm pretty new to Excel ... I want to emulate my formatting in Word of a title with several bulleted subpoints indented and under it. Every time I hit "Enter" for a new line, I get skipped to a new cell. Any help will be appreciated. When editing a cell, if you hold down the [Alt] key when you press [Enter], that will put the subsequent text on a new line in the same cell. Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "AV Guy" wrote: > I'm pretty new to Excel ... I want to emulate my formatting in Word of a > title with several bullete...

FILTER inclucing merge cell
Hi, I have below data A B C D E Row 1 PLACE CODE STATE CODE STATE Row 2 USA CLIENT CLIENT COMPANY COMPANY Row 3 2-10 SA 20-3 PO Row 4 RUSSIA CLIENT CLIENT COMPANY COMPANY Row 5 201 SR 90-1 OP Please note that I had merge Cell A2 with A3, A4 with A5. I applied autofilter but when I filtered PLACE with criteria USA, it only shows USA CLIENT CLIENT COMPANY COMPANY Is there a way to show as below USA CLIENT CLIENT CO...

Trendline to ignore empty cells
I am working on an Excel spreadsheet that contains 5 sheets of graphs and 5 or 6 sheets of data. I am trying to not show the trendline when a cell is empty. I have found a couple of threads about this but do not quite understand them and would appreciate your help! Most of them refer to the NA() function but I am not sure where to enter that and have it reflect in my chart. I have an average price sheet that contains my total sales for each week and some of those cells are empty. What would I enter into those empty cells so they will not show on the trendline in my chart? Thanks ...

Find & Replace Cell Colors
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Is there any way to find and replace cell colors in Excel? I know you can do this in Excel for PCs but is it an option for Mac users? > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3347540289_42178790 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit On 1/28/10 2:34 PM, in article 59bb1c81.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "bbagby@officeformac.com" <bbagby@of...

How can I mimick a mouse click at an x,y coordinate?
Hello,I have an issue where I'm using a treeview control. When I right click the control, I would like a popup menu to appear. The problem is, if I'm not directly over the text in the treeview, the control doesn't recognize that anything new is selected.For example; if the item at the top of the treeview is selected and I want to select an item 1/2 way down the list, if I right click anywhere on that line that isn't directly above the text, the selection is not made. the mouse up event still registers, so the popup menu will appear, but the control still thinks the first ite...

How to stop sliders going out of control
Does anyone know how to stop sliders going out of control. Specifically, when we use sliders, many times we find that when you click on the "page" or "increment" area of the slider, the slider will continue to change the value of the link cell even after the click is off. This is very annoying. Does anyone understand this? Does anyone have a work around? Hi, I am not too sure. I thought I'd make a response anyhow. In the vb Editor, view the properties of the slider and adjust the min and max values to the range of your data. Min=0 Max=how many rows you scroll ...

Setting the color of a cell from a cell
I have two worksheets with similar data. In fact they are almos identical. I would like to use a third worksheet to show the cell which are equal as yellow and those which are different as red. I have made an attempt at writing it, and have searched the forums, bu can't find anyone trying to do this. Here the cell formula in 'sheet3'!A1(copied to the whole sheet): =if('sheet1'!a1='sheet2'!a1,setColor('sheet3'!a1,1),setColor('sheet3'!a1,3)) Here is my code for setColor(): Function setColor(R As Range, C As Integer) For Each X In R X.Interior.Col...

E-mails deleted in Outlook going to deleted email box on live.com
I recently transferred my contacts from Yahoo.com to live.com using the Trueswitch feature provided by live.com. Ever since then, anything I delete in Outlook, goes into the live.com deleted email's folder at Live.com (actually on the server). Also, a copy of any emails Outlook downloads from yahoo end up in the deleted items folder on live.com as well. This really puzzles me, and I dont know how to stop it. Can anyone help? By Outlook do you mean Outlook Express or Outlook97/98/2000+ which is part of Office? And which version? (If you don't know, in your mail progr...

Finding cells with leading characters
My spreadsheet looks like this: A 1 000000 2 182068 3 198506 4 200081 5 368010 6 580905 7 680001 8 686850 9 690060 10 700012 11 701068 12 802054 13 920211 14 968902 Using EDIT/FIND, when I enter '68' in the "Find What:" box, Excel finds A2, A5, A7, A8, A11 and A14 because their values contain '68'. What do I enter in the "Find What:" box to find the cells whose values BEGIN with '68'? (In this example, ...

Export cells and creat word document
What I need to do is take the contents of cells in two columns and export or save them to automatically create a word document. The content of cell in first column would become a Heading 2 in word document and content of cell in second column would be normal text below the Heading 2. When the html tag <br><br> is found this would become a new paragraph. This would continue until all cells have been converted. Page Title Page Text 1. Title 1 text This is text for content under title 1 2. Title 2 text This is text for content under title 2<br...

Protecting formulas in cells
I need to know how to protect only the cells that have a formula in them, and still allow editing of other cells. How. You can select special ranges by: ctrl-A to select the whole sheet Edit|goto|Special click on Formulas (or constants or blanks) Now you've just selected all the formulas (or constants or blanks). Format|Cells|Protection Tab Check Locked or uncheck Locked (depending on what you selected) Now protect the worksheet. Tools|Protection|protect sheet. ==== Depending on how many cells I want different, I'll select everything and unlock them. Then come back and lock ju...