Do dropdown lists have an autocomplete function?

We have created a course registration form for our students. To insure proper
spelling and wording of course numbers and names, we have a drop down list
that has grown to about 160 course titles. The registrar has to scroll
through a large number of courses in the drop down list to get to, for
example, "PSY 101 An Introduction to Psychology". Is there some way to
include an autocomplete function so that when the registrar enters the cell
with the drop down list and begins typing PSY 10... the drop down list will
automatically go to PSY 101 An Intro...? I thank in advance whoever can help.
We use Excel 2003
0
THG (5)

If your dropdown list is created from the control toolbox
(View/Toolbars/Control Toolbox) instead of the forms toolbar, then this has
a property of MatchEntry, in which you can specify that the list scroll to
the first letter typed, or MatchEntryComplete.

Bob Umlas

"thg" <thg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have created a course registration form for our students. To insure
> proper
> spelling and wording of course numbers and names, we have a drop down list
> that has grown to about 160 course titles. The registrar has to scroll
> through a large number of courses in the drop down list to get to, for
> example, "PSY 101 An Introduction to Psychology". Is there some way to
> include an autocomplete function so that when the registrar enters the
> cell
> with the drop down list and begins typing PSY 10... the drop down list
> will
> automatically go to PSY 101 An Intro...? I thank in advance whoever can
> help.
> We use Excel 2003

Thank you for your reply. However, due to its brevity I was unable to
understand how to implement your answer. In fact I spent almost two hours
with Excel help and several Excel texts trying to find MatchEntry and how to
invoke it. The term MatchEntry was nonexistent as far as all the resources I
have. Could you possibly explain more completely how to invoke matchentry
within my drop down list? Also, I am not sure I understand how to create a
dropdown list from the control toolbox.

Actually, we simply created the list of courses on one worksheet, named it
and voila, it was available for drop down list creation in numerous cells on
another sheet of the workbook. The forms toolbar was not used.

Thank you,
thg

"Bob Umlas" wrote:

> If your dropdown list is created from the control toolbox
> (View/Toolbars/Control Toolbox) instead of the forms toolbar, then this has
> a property of MatchEntry, in which you can specify that the list scroll to
> the first letter typed, or MatchEntryComplete.
>
> Bob Umlas
>
> "thg" <thg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have created a course registration form for our students. To insure
> > proper
> > spelling and wording of course numbers and names, we have a drop down list
> > that has grown to about 160 course titles. The registrar has to scroll
> > through a large number of courses in the drop down list to get to, for
> > example, "PSY 101 An Introduction to Psychology". Is there some way to
> > include an autocomplete function so that when the registrar enters the
> > cell
> > with the drop down list and begins typing PSY 10... the drop down list
> > will
> > automatically go to PSY 101 An Intro...? I thank in advance whoever can
> > help.
> > We use Excel 2003

0
THG (5)

Outlook 2003 Imap Auto Purge wish list
I hope someone at Microsoft can code in a auto purge Imap deleted email function into there next Service Pack. I can see a problem rolling this out to our employees. There going to delete messages and those messages are going to stay on the Email server until they do a Purge. I'm afraid they just won't do this. We use Imap. No auto purge means emails staying on the server which over time just takes up hard drive space and makes tape backups take longer. wayne Hi Wayne, You should send suggestions to mswish@microsoft.com as the newsgroups are not monitored for feature request...

need custom cut and paste functions
Hello, I once wrote here about a problem I had cutting and pasting where columns would turn to "REF!" after a cut and paste. I would work around it by copying, pasting and then manually deleting instead. I thought turning everything in the sheet to absolute references would solve the problem but it didn't so now I am thinking of a different solution. Could someone tell me what I need to do to write my own cut and paste functions which would basically copy the selection and then on a paste it would paste and then delete the original selection from where it was copied from...

Function doesn't run
In my spreadsheet, I have the following function =VLookup(K16, zips, 2) However, instead of returning a result, the function remains in the cell. How do I fix this problem? Format the cell as General and re-enter the formula (F2, ENTER) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Justin" <jmeyer@incrementaladvantage.com> wrote in message news:1165596899.059148.31580@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com... | In my spreadsheet, I have the following function | =VLookup(K16, zips, 2) | However, instead of returning a result, the function remains in the | cell. How do I fix th...

Adding a button with a function on protected sheets.
How do i add a button to 'reset/clear' the data on a worksheet that is protected and uses VLookup data (from another worksheet). Everyday this table will have data chosen from combo boxes or manually entered in allowable editable fields and at the end of the day after the files is saved, I need to clear that data for use on the next day. How is this Reset button applied with allowable edit ranges, VLookup data and a protected worksheet? Thanks There's several ways to do this. 1. Instead of straight vlookups, use =IF(ISBLANK(VLOOKUP(....)),"",VLOOKUP(....)) wher...

Today Function
how is this function called in the code? I want to use in in an update query that is coded to a button. thanks Hey Dave, I hope I'm understanding what your asking for but I think this is what you are looking for: Today() HTH, Shane Dave wrote: >how is this function called in the code? >I want to use in in an update query that is coded to a button. > >thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200706/1 Well I think it is either Today() or Date() not sure which and not sure how to use it in the code. I ...

how can I asign printscreen to a function key or key combination?
My key board has no printscreen key. What can I do? That seems unlikely, but it is hardly a Word issue. The PrtScn button is usually a dual function button somewhere on the top row of your keyboard. If it is not then you need to ask the keyboard manufacturer. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< ...

Sending multiple Emails so each person does not get the list
We want to send out multiple emails to several email accounts. We dont want the accounts to see the list of accounts that the email went to. How does one do this in Outlook? In any contacts folder, Tools | Mail Merge is the best choice. --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 "tom" <Spamblocker@ameritech.net> wrote in message = ...

User list
I'm wondering how to check the users on Exchange Server 2003, I tried it on E2k3 by [PS] W:\>Get-Mailbox -server Exchange2k3, and I got nothing in the list, but when I tried to remove Exchange Server 2003, I got an error, The component "Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services" cannot be assigned the action "Remove" because: - One or more users currently use a mailbox store on this server. These users must be moved to a mailbox store on a different server or be mail disabled before uninstalling this server. Any idea? Thanks. I followed the instruc...

How to remove locations from the drop-down list?
My drop down list for appointment locations contains a few duplicate entries, usually because one of the duplicates contains a spelling error. How can I get rid of these false entries so that I don't always have to be super-cautious to pick the correct one? M. "Michael Moser" <michael.nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in message news:DF17B5F2-DA57-48A7-B7DD-3B5A52F2A4E6@microsoft.com... > My drop down list for appointment locations contains a few duplicate > entries, usually because one of the duplicates contains a spelling error. > How ...

Distribution list #7
How do I load a distribution list into the address book under a single heading ...

edit a drop down list
Hello, I have 2 questions 1. for an existing drop down list, how can I add a new entry? That is, a list named "division" now contains 5 items, and I want to add a sixth. I've tried to highlight all 6 items and typing "division" into the name box, but that just jumps me to the original 5 names. I also tried highlighting the original 5 and deleting the "division" from the name box, but again no luck. 2. Can I enlarge the font on a drop down list, so it appears larger when the arrow is clicked? The font is very small at present. To change the name r...

Customer Mailing List
Whats the best way to output the customer mailing list so that it doesn't require the entire content to be reformatted before printing out mailing labels? If exporting to a word .doc it lumps everything up in one column. Is there a better way w/out having to virtually reformat/retype all of the customers? Thanx in advance! Rich Export as a CSV, then use Mail Merge to load the fields. -- Jason Hunt Advanced Computer Systems You can use word mail merge to directly link to the database. No need to run a csv file. mt "Jason Hunt" <jhunt@advcs.ca> wrote in mess...

Capturing the ItemID from the Add function.
Can anyone tell me how to capture the ItemID (referenced by the Add function): Dim objAdded As Object set objAdded = Session.Transaction.Entries.Add(ItemID, ItemLookUpCode, Qty, 0, False, 0). I tried the following and am getting an error: Dim itemid as Long itemid = Session.Transaction.Entries.Element(entrynumber).Item.ID The itemID referenced in the add function seems to be the itemID from the database and not the entry ID on the pos screen. Thanks, Robert -- rshuptrine armsys You can do a query on the Database using the ItemLookupCode. Use the code I posted a couple of days ago then ...

multiple pick from drop-down list
Does anyone know how to setup a drop-down type (or other type) list where I could pick multiple selections from the list and have it populate each selection in a different cell? Thanks, John Drop-downs do not lend themselves to multiple selections (what should be shown in the text area when the drop-down is not dropped down? You would probably be best off using a ListBox (it supports multiple selections). Can you give a more detailed description of what you want to do? Rick "johnrb7865" <johnrb7865@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD85C389-6AFC-4BC1-9...

Holiday listing
How do I get Publisher 2003 to automatically add major holidays to each month? ...

Recently used file list
Does anyone know if the size of the list can be increased from the default of 9? Thanks Tools/Options/General allows you to change the recently viewed size, but is pretty clear that the maximum is 9. >-----Original Message----- >Does anyone know if the size of the list can be increased >from the default of 9? > >Thanks >. > In xl2k and xl2002 (not sure about xl97), when you do a file|open, you'll see a History button in the left hand frame. Maybe you could use that to see more. Maria wrote: > > Does anyone know if the size of the list can be increased...

MS Exchange and Server 2003
Hey, At my company we run MS server 2003 and exchange 5.5. I want to send an email with an attachment to about 7500 users. we have IBM blade server with t1 connections. we have distribution list ready to go. What i want to know is that am i taking any chances in crashing the system. will this have any effect on the server. Thanks DJ ...

trouble with functions
Hi, I am fairly new to excel and I am trying to get to grip with the workings of functions. Is there a way to make a function execute everytime I input a value into a box ? For example I want to be able to subtract 50 from a value ( in B4) everytime I enter a value ( in A4). At the moment I can get the function to work once but not repeatedly. I hope that makes sense Thank you in advance Craig ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi, With a func...

What function would I use? #2
Thanks for the suggestion it did work really well, but I think I'm dealing with a little too much data for it. This is an example of what I'm trying to do. Product 1 -------------------------------------------------------- Customer name | accesorie a |accesorie b| accessorie c | -------------------------------------------------------- Bob | yes | | | -------------------------------------------------------- Mary | | yes | | ------------------------------------------...

Sorting lists with references
How do a sort a list that contains references/formulas? (I want the reference to follow the row as it is "sorted around"..) Excel does't seem to want to sort a list containg formulas, it will only sort lists with numerical values.. Thanks! -- jonfu ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jonfu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28193 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=477281 janfu, If you want to sort based on the column of formulas, first copy the column with th...

Link Drop Down list with PIVOT Table in Excel 2003
Hi I'm using MS Excel 2003 and need a solution regarding link my drop down list with my pivot table. Query : I have created a drop down list in which month can be selected and wanted to link with pivot table in which month wise team count is displayed for a selected month. Presently I'm drag n drop the month in pivot table and its shows the count. But this exercise I have to do every time when I need the report. Is it possible that I have select the month from my drop down list (created in same sheet) and pivot table shows the data related to that month. Please h...

HELP!!!!! (apo on worksheet functions)
I am working on a spreadsheet and when you "look" at the cell it looks like this: 'S000000200BX00000001000 . I need to figure out how to do an auto sum on these. I was messing around and did a few find and replace and got rid of the 'S thing and now I have a formula that looks like this... 2E+13... what is going on with this crazy thing?? This is a spreadsheet that is not made with in my company and I am not sure of how it was created! ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!! Excel fails at over 15 digits. What part (s) are you trying to sum??? -- Don ...

Right Click Function
The right click function does not work in Excel. However, it works just fine in all other applications. What am I missing? Hi Mollie, What does the right-click not work on, you probably had a macro or addin fail. Think of what you were last working with before you had your problem. If you had been working with macros, I'd give the following a shot. Sub Fix_Things() Application.Commandbars("Ply").Enabled = True 'Rclick on WS Tab Application.DisplayAlerts = True Application.EnableEvents = True 'WS Events End Sub --- HTH, David McRitchie, Micro...

distribution List Limit
HI all, i know this is not the right place where to post but i try. Do you know if there is a limit for number of contact in outlook's distribution lists ? How many address can i put in each one ? Outlook 2003 sp3 on windows 2003 sp3 exchange 2003 sp2 thanks ...