Displaying locked cells

I know that you can tab to unlocked cells, but when you
have been designing a spreadsheet, is there a way of
displaying which cells are locked (protected) and which
are not?
0
anonymous (74722)

drop down box select "Formula is" and then enter the
following.

>=CELL("Protect",A1)=1
>
>Select a suitable cell background colour (or font colour,
or whatever) for the condition then OK. Copy your format
to the rest of your spreadsheet and Bob's yer uncle. Also,
I added the cell lock/unlock command button to my standard
toolbar so I can toggle between locked and unlocked status
for my current selection. Works a treat.

>"MikeC" wrote:
>
>> is there a way of
>> displaying which cells are locked (protected) and which
>> are not?
>>
>.
Thanks Vaughan,  I was hoping there would be a built-in
function for doing it rather than having to format it
manually like that. It's a bit cumbersome if you have
conditional formatting on the sheet already - it means
another condition for each cell. I guess it works OK as
long as you start the project by putting the condition on
every cell you'll be using.

Hmmm... not a bad idea.  Thanks again.

Mike.
0
anonymous (74722)
7/12/2004 3:46:33 PM
style and apply that instead of directly changing the
protection status. Its kind of back-to-front though. I
wouldn't really prefer it.

Thanks again,

It has certainly given me something to chew on.

Best regards,

Mike.
0
anonymous (74722)
7/12/2004 4:37:34 PM
Mike

If you can use a macro..........

Sub Locked_Cells()
Dim cell As Range, tempR As Range, rangeToCheck As Range
        For Each cell In Intersect(Selection, ActiveSheet.UsedRange)
        If cell.Locked Then
            If tempR Is Nothing Then
            Set tempR = cell
            Else
               Set tempR = Union(tempR, cell)
            End If
        End If
    Next cell
    If tempR Is Nothing Then
        MsgBox "There are no Locked cells " & _
                "in the selected range."
        End
    End If
    tempR.Select   'Interior.ColorIndex = 3
End Sub

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 06:44:16 -0700, "MikeC"

>I know that you can tab to unlocked cells, but when you
>have been designing a spreadsheet, is there a way of
>displaying which cells are locked (protected) and which
>are not?

0
Gord

Macro on cell content
Dear all, this must be a common problem, and I thought I found the solution, but it doesn't work ... I'm probably missing something very simple. I want to execute a simple VB function in one cell, taking another cell as Parameter. Both, parameter cell and function result are strings. For example: A1: "this is content of cell A1" A2: =Convert(A1) and Convert is a VB function Function Convert(content As string) as String ' do something depending on content Convert = "result-string" End Function However, I always get a #NAME? Error in cell A2. The ide...

Make merged cells in clipboard paste as unmerged?
Hi all, If a user copy merged cells from another sheet, I dont' want to allow it to paste as that, but just paste as a textstring in the selected cell. Anybody having a sub macro to share? /Regards Hi use 'Edit - Paste Special - Values' for inserting your content -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Imbecill wrote: > Hi all, > > If a user copy merged cells from another sheet, I dont' want to allow > it to paste as that, but just paste as a textstring in the selected > cell. > > Anybody having a sub macro to share? > > /Regards I'm ...

Selecting Multiple Cells.
I know how to select a range of cells by specifying reference in nam box. Examples: A10:A20 (The range of cells in column A and rows 10 through 20) 5:5 (All cells in row 5) However, I am attempting to select every third cell going down colum A, beginning with A3. I can enter A3, A6, A9 (This will select just those cells.) Is there a shortcut I can use to continue this pattern of every thir cell indefinitely? (I actually need to select every third cell down t A4950.) Thank you for any assistance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Here's one way: 1. Put this in ...

cell watch function in excel 2001 for mac?
is there a cell watch window in excel 2001 for mac? if not is there way to download an add-in for it -- mike1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mike10's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1441 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26193 In article <mike10.1cxcny@excelforum-nospam.com>, mike10 <mike10.1cxcny@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote: > is there a cell watch window in excel 2001 for mac? if not is there a > way to download an add-in for it? MacXL's VBE do...

Number cells won't reformat / sort
I'm dealing w/ a spreadsheet composed of cut-and-pasted rows from 2 sources (A and B) both originally exported from Filemaker at different times. When trying to sort the data by a "Record Number" field, the 2 datasets remain split and will not integrate. In other words, instead of the sort result being something like: # Code 1 WEX 3 WAF 4 WAF 6 WEX 7 WAF 9 WEX They look like this: # Code 1 WEX 6 WEX 9 WEX 3 WAF 4 WAF 7 WAF The 2 groups remain separate and sort individually. It gets stranger, though. If I reformat the column to, say, a percent or a currency r...

Putting a different character in a cell
Okay here is the problem: We are setting up an Excel worksheet to figure out productivity of employees. I am able to set up a cell to average another range of cells. Example would be that Cell J3 will average Cells C3 - I3 (=AVERAGE(C3:I3)). Now I have two questions... Is there a way to make Excel put a character in Cell J3 where the formula is instead of a blank cell OR even better I would like to create another worksheet that will take MULTIPLE cells linked to the first worksheet with the average formula in it to then do -another- average of the cells if there is information in the cells. A...

copying content of cell into other cells casually
I preparing about 3000 tickets for an Italian tombola. A row of 15 randomly chosen different numbers from 1 to 90 (e.g. 8, 20, 22, 34, 40, 43, 51, 55, 62, 72, 74, 84, 85, 90) needs to go nicely into a table quite casually. The table (three rows high and ten columns long) which are the tickets that will be sold at the tombola will look like the following: | | | 20 | | 40 | | 62 | | 84 | | | | 22 |34 | 43 | 51 | 63 | 72 | 85 | | 8 | | | | | 55 | | 74 | 90 | Numbers needs to be in these columns as players can see easily if they have go...

checkbox linked to a cell
Hello, I am programatically trying to add a checkbox. but it looks like you have to give pixal locations ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Add(ClassType:="Forms.CheckBox.1", Link:=False, _ DisplayAsIcon:=False, Left:=111.75, Top:=197.25, Width:=85.5, Height _ :=21.75).Select is there a way to add a checkbox and give the cell row / column? One way: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myCell As Range Dim OLEObj As OLEObject Set myCell = ActiveSheet.Range("b3") With myCell Set OLEObj = .Parent.OLEObjects.Add(ClassType:="F...

Getting contents of a cell when cell reference is in the sheet
If I have a cell reference in a cell, how could I get the contents of the cell instead of the cell reference again. For example, A B C D 1 2 5 3 'A2' 4 How could I see the contents of cell A2 using the information in cell C3. I'm matching one number with another in different worksheets and want to get a value from the same row as the match. I can get it to return the address of the data I want to get, but can't get the data. Incorporate INDIRECT()... i.e. =INDIRECT(A2) will return the contents of A2. -- Regards, Dave "A Nelso...

editing cells automatically???
Why is it that some spreadsheets will not allow you to edit cells automatically when tabbing between windows? i.e. some spreadsheets will require you to double click in the cell to continue editing once you navigate away from that spreadsheet. Not too clear on your problem but............ Is it possible you have separate instances of Excel running with different editing options? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 13 May 2010 14:25:01 -0700, yogiiyogee <yogiiyogee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Why is it that some spreadsheets will not allow you to edit cell...

cell font color changes
When i change a cell font to grey in Excel why doesn't it print grey when sent to a black printer. it only prints grey if sent to a color printer hi, Because the B/W printer can only print in black. the color printer can print in colors and to the printer gray is just another color. regards Frank >-----Original Message----- >When i change a cell font to grey in Excel why doesn't it print grey when >sent to a black printer. it only prints grey if sent to a color printer >. > Also, some b/w printers offer a "grayscale" option under Print Qualit or the lik...

Formulas within Cell References
Hello All, I need to use a number that was calculated from a formula in a cel reference. Here is the situation: I have a large spreadsheet tha changes periodically. I need to count the number of items in tha spreadsheet(i will use COUNTA - already works) and then take tha number and use it as a row number in a cell reference like this: In cell H1: =COUNTA(A2:A9999) Then take that number in cell H1 and insert that into say $J$XXXX wher XXXX represents the number in cell H1. I'm looking to increase the calculation speed of the workbook by onl calculating cells that I need to. Thanks f...

how do I keep comments with cell?
I want the comments that I post to stay in the same format and with the same relationship to the cell that I post it in. Now,when I edit an existing file with comments, the existing comments float all over the file. I would also like to be able to reset the existing comments back to their original format. Code from Debra Dalgleish....... Reset Comments to Original Position If comments have moved out of position, you can reset them using the following code: Sub ResetComments() Dim cmt As Comment For Each cmt In ActiveSheet.Comments cmt.Shape.Top = cmt.Parent.Top + 5 cmt.Shape.L...

Summing visable cells only
I have a worksheet with 8000+ rows. Some of the rows are hidden. I want to have a formula at the bottom of the rows that sums only the visable cells (non-hidden) rows. Any suggestions? (The rows are hidden and not filtered). -- Thanks Buuuuddddy! =SUBTOTAL(109,A1:A8000) will give you what you need. -- Regards, Dave "Paully Shore" wrote: > I have a worksheet with 8000+ rows. Some of the rows are hidden. I want to > have a formula at the bottom of the rows that sums only the visable cells > (non-hidden) rows. Any suggestions? (The rows are hidden and not fi...

Adding specific Cells Only.
I am doing a tally on what my department has spent the past year. The sheet looks along the lines of this: Department Item Use (If Applicable) Cost Benefits Area Administration Two Pt. Buliten Boards $1,700.00 N1, N2, N3, N4 Medication Refrigerator $600.00 N2 Pictures $500.00 N2 Chairs, Furniture/Equiptment Supplies $7,200.00 North Hall TOTAL $10,000.00 Courtyard $40,000.00 N1 Courtyard $40,000.00 N1 TOAL $80,000.00 Rehab OT supplies for centralized groups including supplies foor physical diabetes Groups/Activities Splints, excercises, ...

charting a single changing DDE cell
I have a spreadsheet that captures real time stock data via a DDE link. The cell captures the last price of a stock as it changes over time. Can you chart that changing cell as the day progresses. Maybe capture the data and then chart it or a macro which plots that cell every minute? Bob You would need to capture the value of that changing cell periodically in a growing table, possibly in a different sheet. For example, every time you update it via the DDE, you could run a code that copies the value of the cell to the last row of the table. Use a dynamic chart to plot the values in t...

display last value in a column
I would like to display the last value unequal to zero recorded in a column in a specific cell. For example, A1 is to display the last value unequal to zero recorded in column B. The number of entries and values in column B changes frequently; therefore the last value in column B is in a different row. Thanks. -- Mike Try this... Assuming there are no logical TRUE entries in the range. =LOOKUP(1E100,1/B2:B100,B2:B100) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DFFCBDB0-3632-46AC-A3AB-073E6F0D475...

Named Cells In Worksheet
This is probably really dumb: After assigning a name to a cell or range of cells; how do you un-name or delete the name? TIA Fred Hi From menu select Insert.Name.Define Select the name from list - Delete Arvi Laanemets "Fred Yager" <fredyager@koolsturgis.com> wrote in message news:06b201c39314$68e716f0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > This is probably really dumb: > > After assigning a name to a cell or range of cells; how > do you un-name or delete the name? > > TIA > > Fred Use Insert, Name, Define. Then, highlight the name and press the Delete button...

Use the same cell from many worksheets to create a chart?
I have a new worksheet for each day, labeled with the date. I want to pull data from the same cell (like "P-3") in each worksheet and put it into a chart. Example: On ten worksheets, pull the data from cell P-3 (arbitrarily called "income"). Then, put that P-3 data into a chart that tracks daily income: the date itself (taken from the worksheet name) plus the data. Any idea how to do this? You need to create a summary region on a worksheet, and use this as the data source for your chart. See this page for more details: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Char...

Problem with copying a to from date to another cell
I am trying to enter the first 7 days of the year in one cell. ie: A1 -> 1/2/05 to 1/8/05 And then I want to drag that down to 53 cells and have it copy in the following format. ie: A2 -> 1/9/05 to 1/15/05 A3 -> 1/16/05 to 1/22/05 etc... Is this possible? I would do it by using two separate columns, typing in the two top row dates, the highlight the area you wish to fill, then Edit > Fill > Series > Trend..........then when you have the two columns of dates, use a third helper column with this formula copied down...... =TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yy")&...

Link chart format to a cell
I want to create a chart that changes format depending on value in a special cell. For exemple a bar chart that for one value have blue bars (the whole chart) and for another value red bars? Please anyone? On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, vito <vito@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want to create a chart that changes format depending on value in a special >For exemple a bar chart that for one value have blue bars (the whole chart) >and for another value red bars? You can't, it's not possible in Excel. But you can have two series, one which...

Display ranges from one worksheet to another
I am running excel 2003. I have been given the task of creating a workbook where on one main sheet I want to display named ranges from up to 4 other worksheets based on the user selection. The ranges are work weeks and we want to be able to display 8 weeks at a time for resource planning. Can someone point me in a direction where I can find a way to do this? Thank you. Check Ron's site under the Copy/Paste section. http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Opal" <tmwelton@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eb392038-e6ab-46b0-a3d6-eb0df5c7a0fd@h2g2000vbd...

Excel displays formulae, not results
I have inherited a spread sheet that has a number of formulae in it. However when I type in a new formula, it displays it as the formula, not as the result. This is not applicable to all cells, just some of them. I am now reduced to copying a formula that displays the result, then editing it to give the formula that I actually want. Obviously there is some setting in the individual cells that governs how it displays as well as the general setting. Hi Roger, This happens when a cell is formatted as text the moment -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel you enter the formula. C...

Display page breaks in normal view in Excel 2007
Hi In Excel 2003, I could click on Tools/Options and then tick the "view page breaks" box, so that I could see dotted lines representing my page sizes in workbook (normal) view, but I can't find a similar command in Excel 2007, apart from Page Break Preview" view, which doesn't really suit what I want. Can somebody help please? Why not use View|PageBreak View since in XL2007 you can still edit the worksheet in this view? If it looks too small use the zoom slider on the status bar. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email ...

calculate 2 cells,never negative
hello I want to calculate two cells, and when the outcom is positive then just show the calculation. On the other hand when the calculation is negative it must give 0 as a result. So it's never a <0 figure What do I use. Thx in advance =MAX(0,SUM(A1,B1)) just change the calculation part to whatever you are doing. -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) <fder.nospam@home.nl> wrote in message news:f5g0dh$auf$1@news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl... > hello > > I want to calculate two cells, and when the outcom is positive t...