Display web chart in excel

I am trying to create a financial spread sheet and link a chart from ADVFN so
it shows up live in my spreadsheet. Havent got a clue how to make this work,
any ideas would be appreciated.

Rgds
Mike

Hi, Mike,

I may not be understanding what you're after...
(and I don't know what ADVFN is) but,

have you tried inserting a hyperlink from the menu?
Select which cell you want the link to show, then
Insert->Hyperlink...  and complete the information
(link address, name, screen tip, etc)

Or are you looking for something more??

jeff

0
anonymous (74722)
7/12/2004 12:31:47 PM
JEFF apologise for intercepting.
the chart in webpage is a java appelet.  I want to download the chart as an
excel chart so that I can manipulate.
If I use hyperlink in an Excel  cell it only takes me to the java chart.

If I use "get exernal data" natuarlly i get some messed up data as follows
++++++++++++++++++++++
Online Stock Chart

Symbol :  Search
Index Charts Equities Charts F&O Charts RDM Charts

Close Window
++++++++++++++++++++++++
even though the url conatins the symbol also
the actual url is(both lines)
http://nseindia.com/marketinfo/charting/OnlineStockChart.jsp?symbol=ALFALAVA
L&charttype=ONLINE_STOCK&series=EQ&mkttype=N

 In the query window  I have checked <entire page> and formtting as rich
text format

Probably  only data can be downloaded into excel by this type of query
and not java based charts.

Mine excel 2000

any suggestions.

I found more or less a similar query by <Lee> on the subject "controlling
java appalet" in Microsofst. excel programming newsgroup which is quoted
below for easy reference to you

quote
I have written a macro below that opens up an instance of internet
explorer, logins in to a site with a username and password, navigates
to the appropriate part of the site and saves a) some text from the
site and b) some of the html from the site using the innerHTML and
innerTEXT properties

I am now stuck with the last part.  I can navigate to the correct area
of the site.  This brings me to a java applet which shows a bar chart
which changes as you drag a slider (at different ages) up and down.  I
need to take screen shots of the graph at various different ages but I
don't know how (or if its possible) to move the slider from the applet
using VBA.  Can anyone help please?
unquote

thanks.

jeff <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Mike,
>
> I may not be understanding what you're after...
> (and I don't know what ADVFN is) but,
>
> have you tried inserting a hyperlink from the menu?
> Select which cell you want the link to show, then
> Insert->Hyperlink...  and complete the information
> (link address, name, screen tip, etc)
>
> Or are you looking for something more??
>
> jeff

Why does [group] appear after the filename in Excel 2003?
I upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003 this morning. An Excel document I created yesterday in a shared network location that has never been touched by anyone but me is now opening with [Group] status. I need to activate Autofilter, but it is unavailable (greyed) on the Tools --> Filter menu. I also can't locate a definition for this setting or how to turn it off, nor do I have any idea why it is in this "group" mode. It is definitely not a shared workbook. Please help! You may have more than one sheets selected simoultaneously. Righclick a sheet tab and select ...

hyperlink to existing excel file
When I create a hyperlink to an existing excel file and then click on it, explorer opens to the folder that the file is in instead of the excel file opening. Just to test I pointed it to a word document and the doc file opened fine. How do I get a hyperlink to open the excel file? Thanks. Are you sure it isn't to the folder instead. Only way I can reproduce that is if I select the folder instead of the file when I create the hyperlink. As expected if I use a hyperlink to a particular file it will open.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "purplehaz" <software@for.me> wrote i...

Show Excel in two separate instances/two monitors?
I've recently been upgraded to two monitors (one of the few things IT has done right around here!). But try as I might, I can't get two Excel (2003) workbooks to show in two separate instances so I can put one on each monitor! Any solutions? Ed Hi Ed, open 2 workbooks -- click the Maximize button (so you are in resize mode) --- drag a workbook by the titlebar to the second monitor... Warm Regards, Crystal * (: have an awesome day :) * MVP Access Remote Programming and Training strive4peace2006 at yahoo.com * Ed wrote: > I've recently been upgraded to t...

How can I asign a number value to a text line in Excel?
tI have a Backgammon Club with Internal Club Rankings that are in Text. I want my members to report their wins - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place - in tournaments to my web site . I would like them to imput: their nickname, date of tournament, tournament Room #, tournament points played for, and host of the tournament. I would further like the calculation to display any change in Ranking as a text cell. Additionally, I want to show for the member, how many more points are needed to get to the next levle and what that (Text)level is. If there is a "what if" for this please advise. Ri...

Plot area of embedded charts unexplainably shrinks in Excel 2003 S
I am working on a large spreadsheet full of numerical data. It contains several dozen bar and line graphs embedded across several worksheets. I have a decent understanding of Excel and Excel graphs but do not use VBA. The problem I have with Excel is that it sometimes – and unpredictably – (vertically) shrinks the plot areas of the embedded graphs. This can happen between opening the document and printing it. Other times, the plot area would shrink if I click on the plot area with my mouse, and then click off on to a cell in the same worksheet. The chart area remains the same siz...

Save for Web (.htm) file
I have two similarly structured XLS file. One file "A" is much longer...perhaps 2000 rows long...when saved as a htm file it is around 500KB. I take another XLS spreadsheet that looks like the same structure...rows and colums...only about 560 rows...when I save this as webpage .htm it ends up being 11.2MB. What the heck happened? How do I get it down in size. There is no apparent reason why a smaller file ends up being 11 time larger that the smaller file when saved! Thanks, --confused ...

Will my sent e-mails be kept in the web server e-mail?
Hello, I am interested in using Windows Mail but first I would like to make sure that all the e-mails I send using Windows Live will be saved both in Windows Live and the website version of each of the e-mail accounts I will add. I would like to know if the same applies for the e-mails I receive. Thanking you in advance. Sincerely yours, Orabidreamer Note that they type of account POP, IMAP, or HTTP will make a difference. Check the box on each account setup that says, "Leave a copy on the server" (Advanced tab). If you have accounts that do not show that t...

Is there a way to setup excel to prompt for a backup copy upon ex.
I want to automatically create a backup onto a disk each time I exit program. "sonny" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the Subject field. Please take advantage of the Message area, even for short inquiries. Thanks |:>) "sonny" wrote: > I am currently using 2000. Thanks "CyberTaz" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. > > It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the > Subject field. Ple...

Adding Named Formulas to a Chart
Guys I've been trying to figure out how to add a named formula to series' field. Do i just add teh name of the formula in quotes, singl quotes, or what? thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Maurice, like this: =workbook.xls!rangename -- DDM "DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tricks" Visit us at www.ddmcomputing.com "maurices5000 >" <<maurices5000.178a3w@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:maurices5000.178a3w@excelforum-nospam.com... > Guys I've been trying to figure out how to add a named formula to a > ...

Sounds with Excel
Hello Friends Is it possible and how can I do this task with ExcelXp: If the value of cell A1 on "my worksheet" in "my workbook" is "1"-play any sound, If cell A1 is empty-don't play sound. For the next cell on the same sheet B1: if B1=1- play sound different than the sound for the cell A1, if B1 is empty-don't play sound. If both cells A1=1 AND B1=1 play sound different than the sounds for cell A1 and cell B1. I'm running WindowsXP. Thank you. Hi Tim have a look at http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip87.htm Frank Tim wrote: > Hello Friends...

Adding a new data series to an existing chart
I have a stacked bar chart that shows monthly sales by customer type. I want to add an additional data series to show the monthly forecast, to be displayed as a point or line against the existing stacked-bar data. Any ideas? Select the data you want to plot. Drag onto the chart. XL will pop up with a dialog box asking for some information. Provide it and you will be all set. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta MS MVP Excel 2000-2004 www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA tutorials and add-ins Custom Productivity Solutions leveraging MS Office In article <1418C2D7-4DF6-4945-A08A...

getting sql report 2005 web service to work
The error I am getting in sql reporting service 2005 is 'The selected report is not ready for viewing. The report is still being rendered or a report snapshot is not available. (rsReportNotReady)'. There are lots of answers on the web and I have tried alot of them including obtaining extract space. The error I am getting is: " The report is still being rendered or a report snapshot is not available. (rsReportNotReady)". I am using using windows-authentication to the datasource, and I am wondering if I am not setting up the pass-through properly on t...

Display previous and next
Is there a way to have a query that meets certain criteria also display the previous and next record that don't meet the criteria? Let me give a hypothetical example to explain this. Let's say I have a table of client names, address, etc. that is in no specific order. I use a query to sort the data by State, City, Address. I then set a criteria to only show the records that don't have a zip code. Now if I could see the record previous to and just after the record that doesn't have a zip code (let's assume these other records do have a zip code), I might be able t...

display countdown timer in Excel
I'd like to display (in Excel 2003) a countdown timer in a worksheet (either in a cell or a textbox or other control). I want the user to be able to see the clock tick down from say 20 seconds to 0 in one second increments (or decrements, I guess). Is there a function that will do this? If this is somethingVBA can handle better, I can post this question in the programming newsgroup. Thanks, Bert It has to be done through VBA. You could write code or have someone do it for you. That someone would be Bob Phillips who has a free downlaodable workbook with a Timer setup. http://...

Move gridlines in a chart so that they are above the numbers
I have done a chart in excel and the gridlines are set so that the y axis numbers are inbetween the gridlines. When I choose minor gridlines I get double the gridlines. I just want a gridline above each number in my y axis Double click the axis that intersects the gridlines, and on the Scale tab, uncheck Axis Crosses Between Categories. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Tara Medway" <Tara Medway@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47400C54-74B4-4E67-93AD-AE8B3F09BE47@microsoft.com...

Excel 2000
Hi! *First off:* I have created a spreadsheet that has a dynamic range an data validation. *Next:* i know i can add options to the 'dynamic range' and my dro down menu will add the option to its list. *Problem:* How can I make it so the user can add data into th validated data list/drop down menu rather than having the user addin it into the dynamic range? *Example:*this drop down menu indicates how often a system is updated weekly, monthly, etc. etc... i don't want to restrict it, so i want t make it so they can indicate their own time on how often those update occur. TIA -...

Prevent auto recoloring of chart when using Pivot Table data
I have crated a Pivot tabel with data I want to show in a Chart. My problem is when I refresh data the colours of the "data series" changes. For exaple I want one of my series "OK" always be shown in green colour, but after a refresh of pivot all colours changes. This problem is not only colouring. If I have made changes to my chart so that one series ar plotted on a secondary axis, and I change it to another chart type (e.g. the secondary should be shown as a line instead of column) this also changes when refreshing the data. Most irritating! Anyone that knows how to p...

Suppress Chart Legend Series
Is there a way to suppress a series in the chart legend if the series at a particular time equals zero? Thanks - Not that I can think of. Bernard "Alex" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:22f201c427aa$af9c0da0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to suppress a series in the chart legend if > the series at a particular time equals zero? > > Thanks - > Alex - You can hide a legend entry. Select the legend, then select the text of the legend entry, then press Delete. This cannot be done conditionally based on the values in the ser...

why is the chart displayed only when the chart area is clicked on?
We used the chart wizard to create a chart. The chart area is greyed out and the chart is displayed only when the chart area is clicked on. We tried to create the same chart using a new workbook and we don't have this problem. Hi, Use the menu Tools > Options. On the View tab in the Objects section make sure Show All is selected rather than place holders. Cheers Andy Vivien wrote: > We used the chart wizard to create a chart. The chart area is greyed out and > the chart is displayed only when the chart area is clicked on. We tried to > create the same chart using a...

display only one formula
i'm taking a computer test and i need to know how to display my formula when it prints so the formula doesn't calculate, but i only need one of the formulas to be shown the rest need to stay in calculated form. How would i do this? Hi Format the cell as Text, select the cell, press F2, and then Enter keys. -- When sending mail, use address arvil<at>tarkon.ee Arvi Laanemets "norcalchick2207" <norcalchick2207@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F223ADF-4546-44C9-8BC8-6D2825872C10@microsoft.com... > i'm taking a computer test and i need ...

determining (and displaying) slopes that exceed x
I have created elevation profiles of state park trails that I have GPSed. The X is distance in miles, the Y is elevation in feet, plotted on a scatter chart (the locations of the GPS points is not uniform). I would like to show the areas of the trail that exceed a particular slope in a different color. I suspect I would have to create a new data series that includes just those areas and then add it to the chart. How do I determine which areas meet the criteria I set forth? JZip, Assuming the miles and feet data below, say you want to color any part of the series that exceeds a sl...

Preventing Excel files from being moved or deleted
What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an Excel file on a network? This is more of an network operating system setting question. I would think putting the file on a share that the users only had readonly access would be enough. But this would mean that the users could still copy (not move) the file. And they wouldn't be able to update the workbook. bg500 wrote: > > What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an > Excel file on a network? -- Dave Peterson All explained in Start>Help and Support "p...

Excel or Access?
I have server data that is about 200-300 rows/records and includes abou 25 columns/fields. Coworkers have suggested that this data shoul reside in a database, such as Access, and then import/link to it fro Excel for reporting purposes. Does anyone have a recommendation/comment/suggestion on this? I a comfortable using Excel as my "database" for this data that will no grow much larger than it already is, and is easier for me to perfor the reporting in Excel simply on another sheet. Thanks! Ric -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Why fix what's not broken? ...

No ActiveX for viewing Web Portal
How do people without ActiveX access the web portal? The web portal seems to use ActiveX which is NOT an industry standard and as such locks out our users using alternative browsers. Also, due to the recent JPG Steganography exploit, the javascript exploit, CERT/Dept of Homeland Security telling people to not use IE and Microsoft itself saying to set security levels to the highest setting thus disabling ActiveX, we cannot use ActiveX or view it without becoming vulnerable. This is vitally important especially considering the latest JPG steganography exploit (as well as the continuous ...

Charting blocks of time as a bar graph
Is there a way to convert/display a given chunk of time (for example a person's shift) into a bar graph/chart? For example: If someone works 6am-2pm, I would like to have that shift show up as a bar in a graph covering those hours. I would ultimately like to enter a person's shift and have it display somewhere else on the page or another sheet in a graph form to see graphically if we are short in coverage somewhere. An example of what I mean can be found here: https://public.me.com/gadgetman Any suggestions/help???? hi, you can download a model (Gantt Chart) here: http://o...