display data as a percentage of a subtotal in excel pivot table

how can data be displayed as a percentage of a subtotal in a pivot table?
for example, I can display salesperson A's 1st quarter sales as a percentage
of yearly sales.  What I want to do is display salesperson A's 1st quarter
sales as a percentage of quarter 1 total sales.
0
User (142)

You can add columns to your data table, and calculate the quarter, and
the percent of quarter total for each row. For example, with your data
in cells A1:C200 --

Salesperson    Date     Sales
Sam          1-Jan-05   200

In cell D1, type:  Qtr
In cell D2, type:  =CHOOSE(MONTH(B2),1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,4)

In cell E1, type:  PctQtr
In cell E2, type:  =I2/SUMIF($C$2:$C$200,C2,$I$2:$I$200)

Copy the formulas down to row 200

Change the Pivot table source to include the new column
Refresh the pivot table
Add the PctQtr to the Data area
Format the field as Percentage

Note: Grand Total will show an incorrect amount in this column.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
3/26/2005 2:43:32 AM
I like this way to indicate quarters:

=YEAR(A2)&"-Qtr"&INT((MONTH(A2)+2)/3)

It evaluates to something like:  2005-Qtr1
(sometimes the year is useful.)

Debra Dalgleish wrote:

> You can add columns to your data table, and calculate the quarter, and
> the percent of quarter total for each row. For example, with your data
> in cells A1:C200 --
>
> Salesperson    Date     Sales
> Sam          1-Jan-05   200
>
> In cell D1, type:  Qtr
> In cell D2, type:  =CHOOSE(MONTH(B2),1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,4)
>
> In cell E1, type:  PctQtr
> In cell E2, type:  =I2/SUMIF($C$2:$C$200,C2,$I$2:$I$200)
>
> Copy the formulas down to row 200
>
> Change the Pivot table source to include the new column
> Refresh the pivot table
> Add the PctQtr to the Data area
> Format the field as Percentage
>
> Note: Grand Total will show an incorrect amount in this column.
>
> Fl pivot user wrote:
> > how can data be displayed as a percentage of a subtotal in a pivot table?
> > for example, I can display salesperson A's 1st quarter sales as a percentage
> > of yearly sales.  What I want to do is display salesperson A's 1st quarter
> > sales as a percentage of quarter 1 total sales.
>
> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Dave Peterson
0
ec357201 (5290)

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Pivot Table Question #5

data sort

Pulling data from separate tabs

learning Excel #3

Formula for cross tab data filling

Help with importing data

wprintf() could not display unicode chars which is > 255 to console?
Hi�� I encountered a problem about wprintf() to display unicode chars which is > 255 in my console app. I am sure I have defined _UNICODE in my VC6 Project Setting. I had a search with google and found that my question was some like the case: http://blog.kalmbachnet.de/?postid=23 . Is it true that there is some bugs in wprintf()? Thanks for your help. David I assume you are writting a c++ program. Can you give preference for ostream cout, wcout on printf/wprintf? use wcout like this:- wcout << L"How are you?" -- Vipin Aravind MVP "David" <David_Wa...

Excel VBA

predict future data

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

Table of Contents for each section
I have tried several times to create a TOC for each section of my document. They way it is now I can simply go to the Insert a TOC and it will insert e perfect TOC. All my text has been changed to the appropriate Level and I have no problem there. But I need to seperate the chapters to the start of their respective sections (I have next page breaks inserted at the start of every chapter). I have tried the bookmark method, no luck. I have tried other methods but I think my problem is that I have selected the appropriate fields and changed their levels appropriately. I have not mes...