Display comments as data #2

thanks a lot , this worked exactly as required, the comment go
converted to data

Now just one more thing . is the vice versa possible i.e if i have dat
in column A can it be shown as comment in column B.

the reason i need this is bcos i am shifting some data with thei
comments to MS access(Hence the need to convert omments to data)
processing them and again converting them to excel (the need to conver
data back to comments

--
sonik
sonika's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1497

> Now just one more thing . is the vice versa possible i.e if i have data
> in column A can it be shown as comment in column B.

Think there's a Sub AddComments() [reproduced below]
in the same Dave M's page given earlier:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ccomment.htm

which will do the above.  It's titled under the header: Macro to populate
comments in a range with text values of another range (#addcomments)

----------------- begin vba ---------
Sub AddComments()
'Posted by Dave Ramage, 2001-04-11, misc,
Dim rngComments, rngCells As Range
Dim lCnt As Long

'get user to select range
Set rngComments = Application.InputBox(prompt:="Select" _
   & " range containing comments text:", _
   Title:="Add comments: Step 1 of 2", Type:=8)
'was Cancel pressed?
If rngComments Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

Set rngCells = Application.InputBox(prompt:="Select cells to update:", _
                    Title:="Add comments: Step 2 of 2", _
                    Type:=8)
If rngCells Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

'are ranges the same size?
If rngCells.Areas(1).Cells.Count <> rngComments.Areas(1).Cells.Count Then
    MsgBox ("Ranges must be the same size!")
    Exit Sub
End If

'add comments
For lCnt = 1 To rngCells.Areas(1).Cells.Count
    'does the cell already have a comment?
    If rngCells.Areas(1).Cells(lCnt).Comment Is Nothing Then
        'no comment, so add one
        rngCells.Areas(1).Cells(lCnt).AddComment _
           rngComments.Areas(1).Cells(lCnt).Text
    Else
        'already comment, so delete then add
        rngCells.Areas(1).Cells(lCnt).Comment.Delete
        rngCells.Areas(1).Cells(lCnt).AddComment _
           rngComments.Areas(1).Cells(lCnt).Text
    End If
Next lCnt
End Sub
----------------- end vba ---------

--
Rgds
Max

http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14972
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=265987

0
demechanik (4694)
10/4/2004 10:03:06 AM
Just some implementation steps for the Sub AddComments() ..

Press Alt+F11 to go to VBE
Click Insert > Module
Copy > paste everything within the dotted lines
("begin vba" till "end vba")
into the whitespace on the right

Press Alt+Q to get back to Excel

Now to play around with the sub
In a test worksheet filled with text values
(source comments) in say, A1:A8

Press Alt+F8 to bring up the Macro dialog

Select "AddComments" > Run

Answer the 1st prompt by selecting
the source range, i.e. A1:A8 > OK

Answer the 2nd prompt by selecting
the target range, say B1:B8 > OK

That's it !
--
Rgds
Max
Please respond in thread
xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
----

0
demechanik (4694)

CRM Queue #2
Hi, Anybody can helpl to know... Is it possible to alert if any email comes to the CRM queue Thanks, SAB Create workflow triggered on create event of email where direction = incoming and email address = the queue email address :-) Roger "SyedAbdulbasith" wrote: > Hi, > Anybody can helpl to know... > Is it possible to alert if any email comes to the CRM queue > > Thanks, > SAB ...

comments in a cell #2
HYCH, Just a question? is there any way of using some vba that will add coments to a cell and have the comment box appear as it does if i add my own comments manually, would like the comment hidden until the cell is selected and then have it show up! obviously i know this happens when you manually process comments, but i would like the comment box to appear and display values that are in another worksheet within the same workbook. hope that makes sense. Steve Steve wrote: > > HYCH, > > Just a question? > > is there any way of using some vba that will add coments t...

Comments/Footnotes Printing
I've used Excel 2003 to create a matrix of Medicare & Medicare Supplement Plans containing comments in selected cells. I've lettered and numbered the columns and lines to aid finding cells quickly when speaking to others. When I place the document in Print Preview, I see that although my comment will print at the end of my matrix, they bear matrix coordinates different from those I assigned; they bear the coordinates of the basic matrix regardless of how I chose to rename them. A bigger problem is that it appers there is no way to reference the proper comment from any given ...

How do I join 2 fields to limit criteria?
I am trying to set a criteria with an OR clause in between 2 fields. Let's call the 2 fields Field1 and Field2. I'm trying to do this example: Only show the records that have this criteria: Field1 = A, and Field2 = B,C,D,E,F,G These 2 fields contain the same type of data, and we need to limit the criteria together between the 2 fields?? Any ideas on how to do this when using excel to build a query in Microsoft query? Christen You could use an advanced filter. Assuming field1 and field2 refer to columns A and B, type this into an open cell (say M22) outside the data table: ...

trying to return data with only the latest date
when i run this i get data for the last day. i'm trying to get it to return only for the latest date. for example the instance name column contains all the drive letters. i would like it to return one row for each machinename and drive letter. tried adding distinct but didn't work with free_hd_space_cte as ( select a.counterid, substring(a.machinename,3,20) as machinename, a.objectname, a.countername, a.instancename, b.countervalue, convert(datetime, substring(b.counterdatetime,1, 16)) as TimeRead from counterdetails a inner join counterdata b on a.counterid = b.counter...

VS2005... #2
Stupid question maybe - does VS2005 have full mfc capabilities? If I'm comfortable with VC++ 6.0 will there be any changes I have to make in the way I write code (unmanaged that is)? Also, is it possible to use C++ .dll's for web applications? Or anything written in VC++ for that matter? ...

Can not right click items in Outlook 2003 #2
Hello, Has anyone come across a problem in Outlook 2003 11.6359.6360 SP1 where you can not right click items and get the quick menu items? So for example, if I right click a mail message nothing comes up, versus the reply, mark as read, etc items. Thanks Much Lots of people are reporting it, but we don't have a fix yet. Are you using a script blocker? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://ww...

How do I change a data label on an xy scatter to a unique name as.
The only way I have figured out is to create a separate series for each data point, which is tedious for 100+ points...any ideas? Hi, Try one of these free addin to link cells to data labels. This way you can have a single data series rather than multiples. Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com Cheers Andy SOSCIENT wrote: > The only way I have figured out is to create a separate series for each data > point, which is tedious for 100+ points...any ideas? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andyp...

how to create button commande to refresh data in query in excel 2.
I have a excel spreedsheet that contain external data. I would like to put a button in the excel sheet to update the sheet without doing right click and refresh. My user here are very dummies. Jean Francois If this is external data then bringing it in should launch the external data toolbar. They will only need to click the exclamation (!) mark. Seems like re-inventing the wheel. If you must then put a button on the worksheet and assign it to this macro Sub refreshdata() Dim wks As Worksheet Dim qryTab As QueryTable Set wks = ActiveSheet For Each qryTab In wks.QueryTables qryTab.Refr...

MSP_EpmAssignmentByDay
We have quite a lot of projects in Project Server. Should there be data in MSP_EpmAssignmentByDay table on ProjectServer_Reporting db? Now the table is totally empty. How can we get data to that table? ...

Change Display Units property with VBA
Hello, I would like to dynamically change the units on my graph within my powerpoint presentation using VBA. The Powerpoint group has site has been down for a couple of days so I have not been able to send my question in. I would think the code might be similar to that in excel so I'm hoping someone can help me here. Can someone help some code that allows me to change the "Display Units" property found under the "Format Axis --> Scale" menu in the graphs? thank You, Jenise In article <1168541545.394773.220220@o58g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, jwilliam@alte...

LED light box display--Only 11 mm LED slim light box in China! 05-24-07
Edlite is dedicate to develop comprehensive technology on advertising light-box including LED; CCFL; EEFL and FLUORESCENT series.we already sell numerous light boxes around the world for tradeshow booth or display purpose. More detail.please enter into www.edlite.hk,or send mail to jenny@edlite.hk,or add MSN:madamenihao@hotmail,then we would reply to you at the first time. ...

2 charts on 1 worksheet
I have 2 data sources that I want to make a chart for. This is for a company survey I need a chart for Performance and 1 for Importance. There are 12 questions that I need to make charts for. I really want to keep a Performance chart and an Importance chart for each question on the same worksheet. Any suggestions? I must be missing something... Select the performance data and use the Chart Wizard to create a chart. Then, select the importance data and use the Chart Wizard to create a chart. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA ad...

List a group of repeated data from sheet1 to sheet2 but not repeat
-- thadi I have one excel sheet1 look like the following. UserName Location Division Software Name Version Maria.Sigmund Parkade Probation Adobe Reader 7.0 Maria.Sigmund Parkade Probation Lotus Notes 6.5.5 Eric.Bell Parkade IT WebFldrs 1.0 Eric.Bell Parkade IT Adobe Reader 7.0 Eric.Bell Parkade IT Symantec AntiVirus 8.1 I want to modify this sheet1 to sheet 2 ...

Installation Problem for Outlook Sales for CRM 1.2
I installed the Outlook Sales for CRM 1.2, however I cannot see the details of accounts, orders and etc. When I debug, I found the problem is that there is only one file(dmUpdate.xml) in folder of "\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\Client\res\Web\_xslfiles". All the files such as 1_Update.xsl and so on were not copied. When I copied them from CRM Server, everything works fine. Is it a bug in the Outlook sales installation package ? Thanks Drew ...

Postmaster address #2
Hi Everybody! Situation: Exch2k3SP1 on Win2k3Sp1 configured to allow delivery status notifications. Now, when an external recipient sends an email to an internal recipient requesting a Delivery receipt, the DSN is being sent by “postmaster@internaldomain.com” and it is not a good idea. I want to change it to “postmaster@externaldomain.com” Now I have already tried some things but I am still unsuccessful: I have set a masquerade domain (externaldomain.com) under SMTP virtual server, I have removed postmaster@internaldomain.com from the user account it was bounded to and I have added “po...

COUNTIF Question #2
I need help with the COUNTIF function. What I'm trying to do is count range of cells if they are equal to the value of a specific cell Example: COUNTIF (A1:A20,�=>B1�), but it does not look at what�s in B it only counts it if the cell value is B1. Does anyone know how t accomplish this, I would greatly appreciate any help -- patrick s ----------------------------------------------------------------------- patrick s.'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1469 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26318 Hi siehe Ex...

Purchase Requisition #2
Good day! Please assist. For the purchase requsition module in MGP, I am unable to approve the request items. This has left the open request item always outstanding for the requester even though the item has been approved and processed at our end. Please refer to attached, as a final approver do we still need to also set up purchase Creator or generate Do to complete the task? what are the next steps to complete a purchase request? Yes, you need to have a Purchasing Manager role setup, and all the requisitions will go to them... They need to transfer the requisition into Great Plai...

imported customer data not showing up
After import was done I went into Rms but could not find the customers. What am i doing wrong. This is becoming a nightmare. Did you have errors when importing? Did you include a unique Account Number for each Customer? Did any customers show up? Rob "country" <country@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74E7CD37-AD87-4C36-A5AE-6966D4147838@microsoft.com... > After import was done I went into Rms but could not find the customers. > What > am i doing wrong. This is becoming a nightmare. ...

Frogs in the pond
Hi, I have this little charting problem. I'm sure someone will have the solution. It's difficcult to explain so I 've posted a picture here www.fransysco.net/frogs/frogs.gif You may have to zoom on your browser to see it perfectly. I have some data in a table and it's figures about frogs in a a pond and about how many arrive in each batch per quarter and how long they survive. The length of survival is measured in Quarters, too. So each quarter there's a batch of new frogs that arrive - usually 2000 in a a batch. And I measure the survival rate of each batch. Now, if I al...

Images not displaying on page
Hi, Apologies if this is a frequently asked question... PC has Publisher 2003 + SP1 (11.6255.6408) on WinXPPro + SP2, 4Gb RAM Problem I'm having is when I try to open a Publisher document which was not created on the above PC i.e. sent to me from someone else, or created by me on my previous PC. Specifically, any images do not display on the page, or in Print Preview. However, they do appear in the Graphics Manager if I click the Show Thumbnail checkbox, and they do print correctly. If I click View, Pictures on the menubar, the dialog is set to Detailed Display. If I change this, ...

Templates #2
In my attempt to fix my generic blank template for a new EXCEL file, I have made it so that, whenever I click on an EXCEL file icon, in addition to opening up the file I want, it also first opens up EXCEL with the "Book 1" blank template. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to stop it? Thanks Dean Look in your XLStart folder and see if you have any other workbooks there. I keep book.xlt (my workbook template) and sheet.xlt (my worksheet template) there. Dean wrote: > > In my attempt to fix my generic blank template for a new EXCEL file, I have > made...

auto refreshing data in pivot table
hello friends, i am using ms access 2003, vb6. i want a pivot table get refreshed automatically when i open the form. but it is showing me the previous results. so i explicitly needed to refresh manually. how can we refresh data in a pivot table programatically in vb. thanq ...

Find data in two ranges
Hello, I have a worksheet with in the same row two different ranges: one with nummeric data one with time values. These two ranges works as follow the first nummeric data cooresponds with the first time value, the second nummeric data corresponds with the second time value. For the nummerric data I calculated the best of 3. Now I need the corresponding time value for those best of 3. Thanks for your help with this one. Someone replied to your other post and asked for more detail. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Santafe" <Santafe@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

In MDI, how to display a restored view on a maxmized view?
In MDI, if a view is maxmized, all other views are hide. But I want to display a restored view on the top of the maxmized view, how can I do that? I am not sure if thats possible. You can try calling activateframe on the mdichild window that contains the view. I suspect that the new frame will come in as maximized as well. You can try by resizing the view to cover entire area of mainframe and then activating second frame. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "flyingxu" <flyingxu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20D25211-AC04-4E9A-A034-34F41A60B0F6...