Difficult Question Inside! Anyone up for it? (formatted better, I hope)

I have only been using Excel for a month now, but did some programmin
many years ago. Maybe I�m being too aggressive, but I�m trying t
divide bills by the number of people responsible for them.

D3=$10.00
E4= PB, RC, GF

D             E             F        G         H         I
1                                  PB       RC       GF      BEV
2 Amount Description $30.00 $30.00 $30.00 $30.00
3 $10.00  Lunch          $3.23   $3.23   $3.24
4             PB, RC, GF $26.77  $26.77 $26.76 $30.00
5 $5.50    Bowling
6             PR, RS       $26.77  $26.77 $26.76 $30.00
7 $25.00  Birthday Gift
KG             $26.77 $26.77 $26.76 $30.00

F3=ROUNDDOWN(($D$3)/(LEN(E4)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(E4,",",""))+1),2) = $3.23
G3=ROUNDDOWN(($D$3)/(LEN(E4)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(E4,",",""))+1),2) = $3.23
H3=ROUNDUP(($D$3)/(LEN(E4)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(E4,",",""))+1),2) = $3.24

While the formulas look tedious, they do work. The more difficul
question is:
What if there were 4 initials in cell E4?
Is there anyway to automatically divide the amount spent by the numbe
of people responsible and place their portion of the bill in thei
respective column and row?
If it can be done, can it be assigned to a button, where after enterin
the amount and initials, the button can assign the bill portions to th
appropriate cells?
I apologize for a newbie asking such an apparently intensive question
Don�t be afraid to tell me where to go! ;-) I�m loving learning th
power of excel!

Thanks in advance for help and/or insults! ;-)

Healingbea

To all who attempt to help me, I apologize for how my sheet portio
looks.  It lost the formatting when I posted the thread.  I'm trying t
figure out how to post an actual sheet portion.

Healingbea

Email me a copy of the spreadsheet and I will help you out.

squidexcel@yahoo.com

some programming
>many years ago. Maybe I'm being too aggressive, but I'm
trying to
>divide bills by the number of people responsible for them.
>
>D3=$10.00
>E4= PB, RC, GF
>
>D             E             F        G         H
>1                                  PB       RC
GF      BEV
>2 Amount Description $30.00 $30.00 $30.00 $30.00
>3 $10.00  Lunch          $3.23   $3.23   $3.24
>4             PB, RC, GF $26.77  $26.77 $26.76 $30.00
>5 $5.50    Bowling
>6             PR, RS       $26.77  $26.77 $26.76 $30.00
>7 $25.00  Birthday Gift
>KG             $26.77 $26.77 $26.76 $30.00
>
>F3=ROUNDDOWN(($D$3)/(LEN(E4)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(E4,",",""))
+1),2) = $3.23
>G3=ROUNDDOWN(($D$3)/(LEN(E4)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(E4,",",""))
+1),2) = $3.23
>H3=ROUNDUP(($D$3)/(LEN(E4)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(E4,",",""))
+1),2) = $3.24

>While the formulas look tedious, they do work. The more
difficult
>question is:
>What if there were 4 initials in cell E4?
>Is there anyway to automatically divide the amount spent
by the number
>of people responsible and place their portion of the bill
in their
>respective column and row?
>If it can be done, can it be assigned to a button, where
after entering
>the amount and initials, the button can assign the bill
portions to the
>appropriate cells?
>I apologize for a newbie asking such an apparently
intensive question.
>Don't be afraid to tell me where to go! ;-) I'm loving
learning the
>power of excel!
>

>Thanks in advance for help and/or insults! ;-)
>
>Healingbear
>

>---
>
>.

0
anonymous (74722)

Word 2004 formatting
For some reason Word now opens my documents in a defined space in the center of my monitor. I can enlarge the image (ie, 150%) but the defined space doesn't change size so I lose text. Changing from Normal, to Page Layout, etc doesn't fix the problem. What's wrong and how do I fix it? Many thanks! Jim When you hit the green button in the top left, what happens? When you drag the bottom right corner, what happens? On 18/2/07 1:28 PM, in article 1171765694.927622.224610@t69g2000cwt.googlegroups.com, "jb_powell@qwest.net" <jb_powell@qwest.net> wrote: > For som...

Tooltip question...
Hi all. I need to create a tooltip control and show it explicitly at certain position. A good example is Windows XP warning tooltip shown on login dialog when Caps Lock is on. This should be possible on any window(even if the target window belongs to another process) and even if the main window of my application is hidden(only tray icon is shown). I managed to get the window handle and position of target window by using system-wide hooks but had no success with tooltip. Is it possible at all or do i have to create my own top-level popup dialog that looks like tooltip? thanx. Asko. ...

Serialized items sales question
Is there any way to prevent the sale of serialized items when a customer is not associated with the invoice? ...

CRM email template question
I need to create a email template in HTML format. I put the html commands in the email the message shows up with the html commands in the body. The only editing the template will let you do is font color and size. Where are the email templates stored on the CRM server so that I may edit them there? I need to send out an email with images and links and stuff like that. Thanks for your help. You need to cut and paste the html. "billy dodson" <billy@pmicromart.com> wrote in message news:1d8de01c423c6$15f1c740$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I need to create a email template...

Captions and Citations won't format differently on same line.
Sir/Ma'am, Here's my issue: I have several figures in my document, which I have captioned using the "caption" command. Additionally, I have given the source for the caption as well. For instance: "Figure 1: Elm Tree (Jones, 2007)." I have created a Table of Figures, and the table of figures views the citation as part of the caption. When I try to select the citation and change it to normal text style (so the table of figures won't recognize it as captioned text) it will not let me change it if it is on the same line. My style book requ...

Question for all you clever people....
Let me see if I can explain..... I have worksheet No 1 (called codes) with a list of numbers 1,2,3 etc though to 10. On worksheet I have a list of part number that is around 10,000 lines long. Each part number have a price ranging from �0 to �2000. From worksheet 1 I need a formula in worksheet 2 showing that if a price is between �0 and �29 I need the code number "1" inserted in column A. If a part has a price between �30 and �199 I need a code of "2" inserting..........and so on down the 10,000 line spreadsheet. Please help ;-) Hope this is clear. TiA Mag()() ...

Sorting while protected
This is a repost. I got the Subject line wrong. Sorry for any confusion. We are working in Excel OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional System Manufacturer Dell Inc. System Model Precision WorkStation T5400 Microsoft Excel version 11.8320.8221 (Excel 2003 of Office Professional Edition 2003) We are trying to sort and filter protected cells. In the Protect dialog, we have currently highlighted Select locked cells, Select unlocked cells, Sort, and Use AutoFilter before protecting the sheet. Of course, we have tried many things to make it work. The problem is, Auto...

button question: two different commands?
Is it at all possible to use the same button for two different commands. I want to make a subform visible and invisible with the same button. Private Sub cmdButton_Click() frmSubform.Visible = Not frmSubform.Visible End Sub "scubadiver" <scubadiver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C32613D-07DE-4DB2-AB9E-6ECF4CE21F00@microsoft.com... > > Is it at all possible to use the same button for two different commands. I > want to make a subform visible and invisible with the same button. > > Inserted it where? "scubadiver" <scu...

Can Anyone Help me?
Hi, I'm new to Pub 2003. I am creating an advert. I have used the rectangular 'auto-shape' and filled it with a transparent fade to black. Ofcourse it is very important that it is transparent, but when I come to print it, it appears as a solid rectangle. Does anyone know how to change this and basically print how you see it on the screen?? Many thanks, Ben Publisher has always had problems with transparency. Create your auto-shape with your preferred transparency. Right-click, save as picture. Choose .png. Re-insert into your publication. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mv...

Easy formula question -sum of 1 cell to end
Thanks for looking . How do you format a formula to display the sum of, let's say A1 to "however far down the spreadsheet goes" without having to name an ending cell? This sheet has no end and I need to display the total in a column that keeps growing. I hope I phrased this correctly. Hi Edward You could do it this way =SUM(A:A), that will cover the full column. HTH John "Edward" <222@333.com> wrote in message news:erIdCRRkJHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Thanks for looking . > How do you format a formula to display the sum of, let's say ...

Better support for dynamic content within headers and footers
One of the major limitations that I find there is with Excel is the ability to display dynamic content within headers and footers. Specifically, without adding VBA code, there is no way to place anything in the headers/footers except for static text, the page number, the number of pages, date (in a standard format), time (in a standard format), file name, sheet name, and graphics. For starters, I would like to see the following new functionality: - The ability to specify different ways of formatting dates and times. A good way to do this would be similar to how different formats are ...

leading zeros in text format
I receive bulk orders via an Excel spreadsheet, containing many individual orders with reference numbers. The reference numbers may be 7-9 digits long, however the field needs to have 10 digits. The format is set to customize: 0000000000. In this manner, we always see the 10 digits regardless of the actual number. The problem we have is that we bulk-load this spreadsheet through a specific custome built bulk-loader. This reference number field must have 10 actual digits, not format digits. Therefore a number such as 00865243 becomes 865243 and then will not run through the bulk loa...

SUMIF question #3
Hi, I have a workbook with column A formatted as dates, and column B containing numbers. I would like to know how to get excel to tell me how much the sum of the numbers would be for a given time frame. So, for instance, if I wanted to know the sum of the numbers in column B that have year 2006 in column A, etc. There must be a way to do this, but I'm stumped. Also, can the criteria in the date be narrowed to give me a sum of just, say, a given month within a given year? Thanks in advance, Jim Try this: With Dates in A1:A30 Amounts in B1:B30 Here are 2 variations of the same formu...

International date formats
When performing an Edit, replace on the cell value 10.09.03 (a system genereated date vale of 10th Sep 03) replaceing the . with /, Excel (and in VBA when recorded as a macro) sometimes changes the cell value to 09/10/03 (9th October 03). This is driving me potty and have spent a vast amount of time on it trying to work out what Excel is doing!!!! My Regional settings are set fro the UK. Any ideas anyone? "Mike" <michael.may@npower.com> wrote in message news:2d44701c39483$97f77730$a601280a@phx.gbl... > When performing an Edit, replace on the cell value > 10.09.0...

repeat question....still looking for an answer
how are people handling the situation of no salesperson ID being transferred over from CRM to Great Plains on the customer card? Also how are people handling the situation of no tax schedule ID available in CRM? I'm told that my customer class ID in GP will have to be set up with a default tax id - THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. Without a salesperson ID or a tax schedule ID it creates a lot more work for my accounting dept. they will have to go into every card in GP and add in the correct tax id and then they have to go to crm to find out who owns the account, go back to GP and ...

Newbie question
Hello, Is there a data that uniquely identifies a CPU among all PCs? Can someone please tell me what is it and how to get it using MFC or Win32 APIs. A sample code or any other reference will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, "Johnny" <safsaf3@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:06e401c36976$350a7100$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is there a data that uniquely identifies a CPU among all > PCs? Can someone please tell me what is it and how to get > it using MFC or Win32 APIs. > > A sample code or any other reference will be greatly > appreciated. I...

question driving me nuts
Okay...I never thought I would ever have to use excel again. Lo and behold, I am now the owner of a business and have forgotten how to do some things. I know how to create formaulas for adding and stuff. I forgot how to make my calculatons so that my deposit would be broken down. For example say I have 5 of each dollar denomination (1,2,5,10,20,50,100) and coin (1,5,10,25,50,$1). My deposit has to be 790 (5 of each denomination-150). What I want my sheet to do is tell me how much of each denomination I should pull out in terms of numbers instead of dollar amount. For exaple instead of ...

Conditional Formatting #28
Hi everybody I use Excel 2002 sp2 Is there a means to have more than 3 conditions for confitional formatting ? the dialog box only features 3. many thanks and best regards Jean Luc J.E. McGimpsey shows a way to get up to 6 different formats using conditional formatting and a custom number format. You can't add more conditions, but you may be able to use a worksheet event that formats the cell the way you want. Jean Luc wrote: > > Hi everybody > > I use Excel 2002 sp2 > Is there a means to have more than 3 conditions for > confitional formatting ? the dialog box ...

Cell Formatting to disp. ### numbers
I am trying to format the cells so that it only allows three numbers t be displayed. To be more descriptive: We work with zip codes quite often, but, we only use the first thre digits. Someone sent us a xls file with 12000 zip codes, in one column, and need to know how to make the column show only the first three digits o all the zip codes.. there is another problem, when I convert them to a numeric value, i removes the zero in front...ex. 08245, becomes 8245, but i need to kee that zero in front. Thanks -Eri -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Assuming your zip codes a...

Reprint AP check format on plain paper
Provide the ability to print a "copy" of a previously printed check w/ stub (with "void" in the signature section) ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/defaul...

Pivot Chart Refresh cancels all chart formatting
Hello folks, I am using pivot chart with calculated fields, on which I did some quite sophisticated formatting (combination chart stacked bar / dot plot with secondary axis ; bar & plot area & grid colors ; labels ; axis & chart titles). When I click the "refresh" (!) button to update the data, the chart formatting is lost and the chart reverts to the default formatting (stacked bar chart with all series) Is there any way to "memorize" the chart formatting on a pivot chart ? TIA -- NZ Loss of formatting is a known problem with pivot charts. There's inf...

Excel default number format problem
I have a user with an incorrect default cell format in Excel. His default number of decimal places for a cell with numbers is set to 4 instead of 2. I have no idea how he caused this and I have no idea how to correct it. In case I'm being ambiguous, here is the procedure: Open a new Excel workbook, choose any cell and go to Format. In the Format Cell dialog box go to the Number tab and choose the Number category. The Decimal Places box will be set to 2 by default but in this user's Excel it is set to 4. How do I get it back to the default of 2? http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick...

formating multiple worksheet via print preview
I have a multiple worksheet workbook that I need to change several features about all the worksheets (page orientation, fit to 1 page, etc.). How can I do this formating and have it apply to all the worksheets selected in the group rather than having to do it to each worksheet separately? Thanks in advance. Roger Roger Group the worksheets you want to change. Change the relevant settings on one of them and it will be reflected in the others. Don't forget to ungroup the sheets afterwards. Andy. "Roger" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0...

SUMIFS question
I am trying to use sumifs to gather information if one of two tests are true. I would like to be able to make a purchase apear as executed if Employee 1 (Column N) or Employee 2 (Column O) has selected Executed from a multiple option list on a form I am exporting to Excel. I have tried using the OR function, but it won't sum a logical function, just give me true or false. I know how to do this if I create an extra hidden line in the table, but I would prefer to not have to do that. If I were to ask excel to make this calculation I would say to it "Add the price/cost of all...

Ftp fails inside a Shellexecute command
Hi everyone, I use ftp.exe inside a ShellExecute command and it works fine when running my mfc program in Windows XP. When running in Win 2000 it fails and pops up a message box named "Ftp Folder Error". Inside the message box it says "An error occurred reading the contents of the folder..." Some other facts: 1. If I run the ftp command inside a dos box it always works fine. 2. The ftp command receive parameters from a text file. 3. When the problem occurred I saw that the process of the ftp.exe was diminished very rapidly. Can someone advise please? Thanks in advance M...