Determine cells that drive conditional formatting?

Example:

Cells A1:A4 have conditional formatting set up that states if they are equal
to cell A10 they will be highlighted yellow.

Is there a way to quickly see what cells drive conditional formatting?  In
other words, we can use Edit -> Go To Special to see which cells have
conditional formatting applied; however, this doesn't show us that A10 is
involved.  Since there isn't a formula directly involved, we can't trace
precedents/dependents.  Can we only know that A10 is involved in the
formatting of A1:A4 by selecting those cells and going into the conditional
formatting dialog box?  Is there another, faster way?
0
NicolleK (6)

Probably nowhere near the answer you are seeking, but if you use CFPlus
(http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CFPlus.Download.html), that has an
option to highlight the ranges formatted with the tool. You can then click
on the highlighted area to see the formula behind it.

--

HTH

RP

"Nicolle K." <NicolleK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Example:
>
> Cells A1:A4 have conditional formatting set up that states if they are
equal
> to cell A10 they will be highlighted yellow.
>
> Is there a way to quickly see what cells drive conditional formatting?  In
> other words, we can use Edit -> Go To Special to see which cells have
> conditional formatting applied; however, this doesn't show us that A10 is
> involved.  Since there isn't a formula directly involved, we can't trace
> precedents/dependents.  Can we only know that A10 is involved in the
> formatting of A1:A4 by selecting those cells and going into the
conditional
> formatting dialog box?  Is there another, faster way?

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
1/6/2005 6:58:42 PM
Not quite what you ask, but it's pretty quick...

You can customize your toolbar to have an icon that shows the format|conditional
formatting dialog.

Tools|customize|commands tab|Format category (about half way down in xl2002).

Drag that "conditional formatting..." icon/text to your favorite toolbar.

Select a cell, click that button and escape to dismiss it.

(Not really too bad.)

Nicolle K. wrote:

> Example:
>
> Cells A1:A4 have conditional formatting set up that states if they are equal
> to cell A10 they will be highlighted yellow.
>
> Is there a way to quickly see what cells drive conditional formatting?  In
> other words, we can use Edit -> Go To Special to see which cells have
> conditional formatting applied; however, this doesn't show us that A10 is
> involved.  Since there isn't a formula directly involved, we can't trace
> precedents/dependents.  Can we only know that A10 is involved in the
> formatting of A1:A4 by selecting those cells and going into the conditional
> formatting dialog box?  Is there another, faster way?

--

Dave Peterson
0

automatic selecting the highest cell
If got B2 which I would like to multiply the highest of the followin cells B4-B5-B6, but only if B4:B6 are higher than 1,1 (not alltogete but the one with the highest value). Are someone able to help me with this formula? :rolleyes -- kimar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kimare's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1650 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27884 Assuming , is you decimal separator (if not, I don't know what you mean), and you require only that one of the n...

Re-post: Conditional sum: different worksheets
Hi ng. Using xl xp pro. Apologies for the re-post. Have not seen reply to my question. Can anyone help me out? tia, goss Orig Post============================================== Tried running conditional sum wizard on tab: Accnt_Dat Through the wizard I established 3 criteria for the sum Wizard prompts for resultant placement. I chose tab: Comm Nothing appeared in the cell I selected. I repeated all steps carefully in case I made an error. Still nothing was placed in: Comm!$C$2. I started trying to type by hand and came up with: =(SUM(OR(IF(Accnt_Dat!$B$2:$B$1700="SALES-1", _ IF...

Conditional Formatting Formula
Need to highlight A1 if B1 contains "1", "2", "3", or is empty. What formula can help me do this? Maybe just use a formula like: =OR(B1=1,B1=2,B1=3,B1="") (I used numbers--not text for 1, 2, and 3.) Cachod1 wrote: > > Need to highlight A1 if B1 contains "1", "2", "3", or is empty. > > What formula can help me do this? -- Dave Peterson ...

Sum data under special condition
Hi, I have a main and detail subform. In the subform I had a Check field (Yes/No field) from the under laying table. I am having a problem of putting a sum(amount) on the main form for only item that has a check in the Yes/No filed. Could someone advice? I have Access 2003 on XP box. SF A Yes/No field has a numeric value of zero when it is "No", and -1 when it is "Yes". So, to achieve what you want, simply multiply the amount by the Yes/No field, and by -1 e.g. Sum(amount * yesnofield * -1) "SF" <xyz@online.com.kh> wrote in message news:u9...

Draging VLOOKUP to last cell.
I have a Sheet1 where Column E has numeriv values. I would like to match these values with a list in Sheet 2 where Column A contains the numeric list and Column B contains corresponding values. I want to then return the corresponding value in Sheet 1 Column G. I would like to then drag this formula to the last row so that it picks up all the values without returning an error. I hope that you can help me. -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-new/200605/1 =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(E2,Sheet1!$A$2:AB$20,2,False)),"",VLOOKUP(E2,Sheet1!$A$2:AB $20,2,Fa...

report print paper format
hey all, is there an option to set the paper size... when we print reports from crm its always set to letter but we want a4 Crystal appears to get paper sizes from your printer. So if you want a different paper size you need to select file printer setup in crystal (i think) then change the printer or change the paper size for the printer. Crystal will then change the page size. This is an unusual way of doing it as most apps treat page setup as different from the printer etc "savage" <savage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DDBF80B-9D53-4EC3-B7E9-9E825411...

Changed mail format from HTML to text only

Pick cell from chart
I am developing an estimating spreadsheet that calculates labor hours. I have built a separate 10 column and 6 row chart with info I want to pull into the estimating spreadsheet. The colums are labeled as "Difficulty Factors" and the rows are labeled as "Pipe Sizes". Each intersecting cell is a portion of a labor hour. The estimating sheet has 3 drop down lists. I want to build a IF AND statement that will select a intersecting cell in the chart if certain criteria from the drop down lists are true. There are 60 different cells in the chart. Is it necessary to write ...

Copy Paste Chart format in Excel 2003 using VB.NET
I have a template file in Excel which contains some sample charts. I need to generate some charts which has the same format as that of sample charts. I'm using VB.NET 2005. What we encourage people to do when using VBA is to run the Excel chart recorder while performing the action they want to do in VBA, then fix up the inefficient VBA recorded code and incorporate it into their project. You can do the same thing, although there may be an additional step where you translate or at least reference the VBA code so it works as VB.Net code. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP...

Conditional Sorting in Excel
I have what im hoping is a simple question. Basically, I am organizing an event for 60 people and need to come up with table assignments for 4 separate events. I am trying to put these 60 people into groups of 10, but I don't want people from the same cities sitting together and I also don't want people to sit with the same person multiple times (or at least as well as possible). I basically have a 2 column spreadsheet - A is attendee names and B is cities. Is there anyway that I can generate 4 distinct (or close to) lists - each list containing 6 groups of 10? ...

merging cells #3
Hi, I got an Excel file from a friend where I combined two columns, area code and phone number. Everything works in Excel, except that the rows and column lines are grey and not black. Outlook does not see the new column. What could be the problem? Thanks AJS Solved it. "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message news:%232OPgj%23dJHA.4900@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... | Hi, | I got an Excel file from a friend where I combined two columns, area code | and phone number. | Everything works in Excel, except that the rows and column lines are | grey and not black. | Outlook does n...

Add Button to Cell
I have two questions: A/ Can I add a button to a cell in my worksheet that will sort the column data? Like the Assending/Descending buttons on the toolbar above the sheet. Basically, can I add those buttons to a cell? B/ Can I have Excel mail me when a date within the worksheet is getting close, or overdue, etc..? Thank you for your assistance. I've researched both of these in other places, and found the answer to be no to both questions, but I figured I'd ask the experts to get the final answer. Mike .. Turn on the macro recorder and sort a range. turn off the macro rec...

Tabbing from cell to cell
I need to be able to tab from a certain cell to the next and so on in order. I understand that I should hold control, and click on the cells in the order I need to move through them. Then, I press ctrl+F3 and give a name to the tab order. What next? How do I call back that tab order to use when I open up a specific document? Thanks! Once you've set up the name, then you press CTRL+G and type in the name of the range. This will select the cells. (Or type the name of the range in the "Name" box at the left end of the formula bar.) On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 20:17:02 -0700, "Amb...

How to access e-mails in old Outlook from a hard drive
I written this question before but can't figure out how to see if anyone has answered me. *had an old Windows ME system that died. Couldn't restart. *got new XP system. *put old hard drive in another Windows 98 (dos based system)on the network. *Recreated Microsoft Outlook on new XP system. *Old e-mails with valuable info in old system drive *trying to figure out how to move them over. *Know it has something to do with Application Data files. *Old drive Application files look different than XP Application files. *How do I move the old files over to the new machine and will be abl...

Auto-formatting frustration!
G'day. I'm using Excel 2003, and it's doing the most annoying thing! For example: I have columns called 'number', 'name', 'date' and 'finished'. I have many rows with data entered into them. Old rows that have become 'finished' I colour grey. New rows that I add at the bottom I want to remain white, until they become 'finished'. Excel has it in it's head that when I add a number (1, 2, 3, etc) into the 'number' column, I must want it to automatically go grey. And when I add a letter (a, b, c, etc) into the &#...

Last row printed formatting
I have code that sets a border around the print area which works fine if it is only a single page, but if it is multiple pages, the bottom border is only on the last page printed. What I need is to be able to set the border on each printed page. Is there a way to do this? Your help is greatly appreciated. ...

Conditional Formatting of Charts
Is there anyway that I can conditionally format a chart? What I need to be able to do is set parameters for the colour of a data series. For example I have a chart showing total daily sales plotted on a day by day basis. I want to be able to set the colour for each days sales depending on the amount i.e. if it is over 500, then it will be green, between 350 and 499 amber, and anything below 350 will be red. I know this can be done on individual cells, but can it be done in a chart? All help greatly appreciated. John John - I have a couple approaches on my Chart Formatting page: ...

Filling in a range of cells.
I want to fill celles A1 through A65536 with the hexadecimal values AE0000 through AEFFFF, incremental, such as: A1 AE0000 A2 AE0001 A2 AE0002 etc. How do I do this? On 23 Jun, 16:05, "Austin Powers" <AustinPow...@pobox.com> wrote: > I want to fill celles A1 through A65536 with the hexadecimal values AE0000 > through AEFFFF, incremental, such as: > > A1 AE0000 > A2 AE0001 > A2 AE0002 > > etc. > > How do I do this? This formula should do it: =DEC2HEX(11403263+ROW(A1),6) Put this in A1, copy down to A65536. You might want to consider gett...

how do you search a range of cells...
I am working on a sports schedule worksheet. I want to use a variable so I can change the schedule from year to year without having to reprogram it. What I want to do is create a formula where it checks the full team name in D5 and compares it to the master list of team names listed in A1:A32, then take the corresponding cell B1:B32 (the adjacent list of shortened names) to enter the results in E5. If I can get an example with and without a macro, I'd appreciate it. Enter in E5. =VLOOKUP(D5,$A$1:$B$32,2,FALSE) don't bother with the macro. "Xanadude" wrote: > I ...

Category and Subcategory in diffrenet cells
When i create a new transaction i want to see Category and Subcategory in diffrenet cells . i did not find this option in MONEY 2005 . someone can help ? Tnx That's because it has been removed from the 2005 version, sorry. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback especially if it's a UK specific wish. I...

Paste values and Number format
In a file, I had a column set to have 1 decimal place. When I paste values from another area, the formatting does not stay, but instead the number of decimal places from the original spot is used. Even if I change the number format afterward, it will not take. If I type in a number in that cell, it will round to the correct decimal place. If I create a new file, the number format works. This file has conditional formatting, but if I remove it, the decimal place problem remains. What else can I try to troubleshoot this? Hi maybe use 'Edit - Paste Special - Values' -- Regard...

equation for percentile of another cell
If I have a dollar amount in one cell. I would like to have another cell that always show 20% of that cell. How about the simple formula =A1*20% ? -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "KMC" <KMC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AB409A0-AE56-41A2-A102-E37A19CB4732@microsoft.com... > If I have a dollar amount in one cell. I would like to have another cell > that > always show 20% of that cell. If your dollar amount is in cell A1, put this formula where you want the 20% amount to show.......... =A1*.2 Vaya ...

Images are stored in RAW format, not in JPEG
Greetings, I am storing JPEG images in my database. The problem is that the JPEG compression is seemingly not preserved when the images are stored, because the size of the database balloons in size to several hundred megabytes. Is there any way to get access to store images in original format? These are about 600k sized JPEGs. Thanks The usual solution is to NOT store the picture in a field. This can quickly bloat your database. The best solution is to store the picture on the hard drive and simply store the path and file name to the file in the database. Then you can programmaticall...

Create a Message based on the condition
I want to create a graph based on the condition. For example i have the salaries of 10 employees, wanna to display names of the employees along with the salary and year of joining with the condition salary >$2000 Help me out on this. "Madhumurthi" wrote: > I want to create a graph based on the condition. For example i have the > salaries of 10 employees, wanna to display names of the employees along with > the salary and year of joining with the condition salary >$2000 > > Help me out on this. Apply an autofilter on the worksheet with you...

Excel shouldn't bitch about a "date format" when formatted as txt
So, when I want a date to display as, say, 7/15 and the over aggressive autoformat kicks in, I change the cell format to Text, which is supposed to 'displays exactly as typed.' Bingo, perfect. But then when I type in "7/15" I still get a formula error message. That's stupid. Make it stop. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion...