Deleting Rows Automatically using a Text File List

I have a text file list of .jpg files that I want to delete (rows) from
Excel.  The list has 800+ items in it.  Deleting these rows one at a
time in Excel (after doing a "find") is terribly time consuming.  Does
anyone know how to make Excel read my text file and delete the rows
with that filename in it (automatically).  The filename (listed in the
text file) is in a column (in my excel sheet) called "filename".

Any help would be most appreciated!!!  Seriously!  I may have to spend
hours on this otherwise!

Thank you,
Arielle

--
mirdonamy
mirdonamy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30348

There may be a more elegant way of doing this, but a simple, non-VBA approach
might be to insert a column next to the column labled "Filename" go to the
top line containing a file name and in the new column enter =Right(cellref,3)
(where cellref refers to the cell containing the first filename).  Copy that
formula down to the bottom of your list. Then you could sort on the new
column and simply delete the block of rows where the new column has a value
of "jpg".

"mirdonamy" wrote:

> I have a text file list of .jpg files that I want to delete (rows) from
> Excel.  The list has 800+ items in it.  Deleting these rows one at a
> time in Excel (after doing a "find") is terribly time consuming.  Does
> anyone know how to make Excel read my text file and delete the rows
> with that filename in it (automatically).  The filename (listed in the
> text file) is in a column (in my excel sheet) called "filename".
>
> Any help would be most appreciated!!!  Seriously!  I may have to spend
> hours on this otherwise!
>
> Thank you,
> Arielle
>

> --
> mirdonamy
> mirdonamy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30348
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500059

Sorry, I misread your problem... but now that I've read a bit more closely, I
realize I don't quite understand. Do you import the text file to Excel and
then delete any row with one specified file name? or are you creating a new
text file with any file name deleted that is contained in a range contained
in a column with a label filename.

"mirdonamy" wrote:

> I have a text file list of .jpg files that I want to delete (rows) from
> Excel.  The list has 800+ items in it.  Deleting these rows one at a
> time in Excel (after doing a "find") is terribly time consuming.  Does
> anyone know how to make Excel read my text file and delete the rows
> with that filename in it (automatically).  The filename (listed in the
> text file) is in a column (in my excel sheet) called "filename".
>
> Any help would be most appreciated!!!  Seriously!  I may have to spend
> hours on this otherwise!
>
> Thank you,
> Arielle
>

> --
> mirdonamy
> mirdonamy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30348
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500059

Assign a range name "Myfiles" (without the quote)
to your 800 files (800 rows by 1 column) then

In a standard module paste in the beow code:

Sub ElimFileRow()
DelItem = Range("C1").Value
Set MyRange = Range("Myfiles")
For Each cell In MyRange
If cell.Value = DelItem Then
cell.EntireRow.Delete
End If
Next cell
End Sub

In cell C1 --  type in the exact file name you wish to delete,
as it appears in the range Myfiles.

Run the Macro  ElimFileRow

HTH

"mirdonamy" <mirdonamy.21gpcz_1136969101.3744@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:mirdonamy.21gpcz_1136969101.3744@excelforum-nospam.com...

> I have a text file list of .jpg files that I want to delete (rows) from
> Excel.  The list has 800+ items in it.  Deleting these rows one at a
> time in Excel (after doing a "find") is terribly time consuming.  Does
> anyone know how to make Excel read my text file and delete the rows
> with that filename in it (automatically).  The filename (listed in the
> text file) is in a column (in my excel sheet) called "filename".
>
> Any help would be most appreciated!!!  Seriously!  I may have to spend
> hours on this otherwise!
>
> Thank you,
> Arielle
>

> --
> mirdonamy
> mirdonamy's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30348
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500059

0
jmay (696)
1/11/2006 12:10:37 PM
Select that column that contains "FileName"
data|filter|autofilter
filter to just show those lines to be deleted
select those visible cells
edit|delete

The Data|Filter|autofilter to remove the filter.

mirdonamy wrote:

> I have a text file list of .jpg files that I want to delete (rows) from
> Excel.  The list has 800+ items in it.  Deleting these rows one at a
> time in Excel (after doing a "find") is terribly time consuming.  Does
> anyone know how to make Excel read my text file and delete the rows
> with that filename in it (automatically).  The filename (listed in the
> text file) is in a column (in my excel sheet) called "filename".
>
> Any help would be most appreciated!!!  Seriously!  I may have to spend
> hours on this otherwise!
>
> Thank you,
> Arielle
>
> --
> mirdonamy
> mirdonamy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30348
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500059

--

Dave Peterson
0

~Arielle

PS. Thank you for your kind response!

JMay Wrote:
> Assign a range name "Myfiles" (without the quote)
> to your 800 files (800 rows by 1 column) then
>
> In a standard module paste in the beow code:
>
> Sub ElimFileRow()
> DelItem = Range("C1").Value
> Set MyRange = Range("Myfiles")
> For Each cell In MyRange
> If cell.Value = DelItem Then
> cell.EntireRow.Delete
> End If
> Next cell
> End Sub
>
> In cell C1 --  type in the exact file name you wish to delete,
> as it appears in the range Myfiles.
>
> Run the Macro  ElimFileRow
>
> HTH
>
> "mirdonamy" <mirdonamy.21gpcz_1136969101.3744@excelforum-nospam.com>
> wrote in
> message news:mirdonamy.21gpcz_1136969101.3744@excelforum-nospam.com...
> >
> > I have a text file list of .jpg files that I want to delete (rows)
> from
> > Excel.  The list has 800+ items in it.  Deleting these rows one at a
> > time in Excel (after doing a "find") is terribly time consuming.
> Does
> > anyone know how to make Excel read my text file and delete the rows
> > with that filename in it (automatically).  The filename (listed in
> the
> > text file) is in a column (in my excel sheet) called "filename".
> >
> > Any help would be most appreciated!!!  Seriously!  I may have to
> spend
> > hours on this otherwise!
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Arielle
> >

> > --
> > mirdonamy

> > mirdonamy's Profile:
> > http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30348
> > View this thread:

mirdonamy
mirdonamy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30348
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500059

I have a text file with a list of filenames (all .jpg) that I want to
delete from my Excel sheet (the entire row, not just the filename).

Without looking up each one of the files (listed in the text file) and
deleting the row manually, I would like to eliminate the rows
containing this filename.

I am sure there's a way to automate this!  I just don't know how, and I
do not know Excel as well as some people here.  I don't know macros or
anything.  I just know Excel better than anyone at my office (which
doesn't say much I guess).

~ Arielle

SludgeQuake Wrote:
> Sorry, I misread your problem... but now that I've read a bit more
> closely, I
> realize I don't quite understand. Do you import the text file to Excel
> and
> then delete any row with one specified file name? or are you creating a
> new
> text file with any file name deleted that is contained in a range
> contained
> in a column with a label filename.
>
> "mirdonamy" wrote:
>

> > I have a text file list of .jpg files that I want to delete (rows)
> from
> > Excel.  The list has 800+ items in it.  Deleting these rows one at a
> > time in Excel (after doing a "find") is terribly time consuming.
> Does
> > anyone know how to make Excel read my text file and delete the rows
> > with that filename in it (automatically).  The filename (listed in
> the
> > text file) is in a column (in my excel sheet) called "filename".
> >
> > Any help would be most appreciated!!!  Seriously!  I may have to
> spend
> > hours on this otherwise!
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Arielle
> >

> > --
> > mirdonamy

> > mirdonamy's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30348
> > View this thread:

mirdonamy
mirdonamy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30348
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500059

I came up with 1/2 a solution.  I added the list of filenames (to the
filename row in Excel) and then sorted by filename.  Now, everytime
there's a partially blank line, I know to delete both (the line above
it and the partially blank line).  Still, that's 800+ manual
deletions.

Is there anyway to filter "duplicate" entries of a particular column?
I tried filter / custom; but, all I came up with was the ability to
filter by something from a drop down list.  How do I filter by
"duplicate" entry in a certain column?

--
mirdonamy
mirdonamy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30348
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500059

I can't get "Filter for Unique Records" to work properly.  I want to
delete rows with duplicate filenames.  The rows are all unique (as some
have ONLY filenames and some have info in the other colums as well).
How do I filter or delete rows with duplicate filenames.  Unique
records does not work, again, as all records are unique.

--
mirdonamy
mirdonamy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30348
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500059

How do I assign a range name

Let's say you have information in Range A2:A800.
Click on cell A2 and drag (select or highlight) to Cell A800 - then you can (at
the menu) click on Insert, Name, Define.. in the top blank box type in
Myfiles.

That's how you create a range name.

click on the down-arrow in the box ABOVE Column A,
when you do you will see Myfiles in the list; left click on
Myfiles -- suddenly A2:A800 will be selected.

what is a standard module?

Hold down the Alt key and simultaneously press the F11
key.  This will take you into the Visual Basic Editor (a separate program where
macros reside).

On the menu there, click on Insert, and select Module;
This will open a Blank Window.. it is in this window that
you should paste the

Sub ElimFileRow()
.....  (7 line omitted here)
End Sub

Close the VBE program, this will take you back to The spreadsheet of Excel;

In cell C1  -   type in a file you wish to delete (it's entire row).

Save the Workbook.    Press    Alt+F8
This will bring up the Macro Window..
Select  ElimFileRow  from the list (left-click it)
and then left click on the button    RUN

Wa-La,,,,,

H(ope) T(his) H(elps)

"mirdonamy" <mirdonamy.21hb4b_1136997301.794@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:mirdonamy.21hb4b_1136997301.794@excelforum-nospam.com...

> How do I assign a range name and what is a standard module (or how do I
> create one).  If this is simple enough to direct me through, I would
> appreciate it.  Otherwise, I am afraid I do not understand what to do
> here.  Sounds very useful though!  I would really love to try this!
>
> ~Arielle
>
> PS. Thank you for your kind response!
>
> JMay Wrote:
>> Assign a range name "Myfiles" (without the quote)
>> to your 800 files (800 rows by 1 column) then
>>
>> In a standard module paste in the beow code:
>>
>> Sub ElimFileRow()
>> DelItem = Range("C1").Value
>> Set MyRange = Range("Myfiles")
>> For Each cell In MyRange
>> If cell.Value = DelItem Then
>> cell.EntireRow.Delete
>> End If
>> Next cell
>> End Sub
>>
>> In cell C1 --  type in the exact file name you wish to delete,
>> as it appears in the range Myfiles.
>>
>> Run the Macro  ElimFileRow
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> "mirdonamy" <mirdonamy.21gpcz_1136969101.3744@excelforum-nospam.com>
>> wrote in
>> message news:mirdonamy.21gpcz_1136969101.3744@excelforum-nospam.com...
>> >
>> > I have a text file list of .jpg files that I want to delete (rows)
>> from
>> > Excel.  The list has 800+ items in it.  Deleting these rows one at a
>> > time in Excel (after doing a "find") is terribly time consuming.
>> Does
>> > anyone know how to make Excel read my text file and delete the rows
>> > with that filename in it (automatically).  The filename (listed in
>> the
>> > text file) is in a column (in my excel sheet) called "filename".
>> >
>> > Any help would be most appreciated!!!  Seriously!  I may have to
>> spend
>> > hours on this otherwise!
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > Arielle
>> >

>> > --
>> > mirdonamy

>> > mirdonamy's Profile:
>> > http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30348
>> > View this thread:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500059
>> >

> --
> mirdonamy
> mirdonamy's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30348
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500059

0
jmay (696)

Convert Excel Tables to Pivot Table Lists
Excel Tables to Pivot Lists Hello, I'm trying to convert excel tables into pivot table lists and I am looking for a method to do this besides cutting and pasting. The table has 6 columns (see below) with count of product for each year e.g. xxx1 prod1 100 in Yr1, 200 in Yr2, 300 in Yr3 etc. I want to end up with a 4 column list like, (see "Get into pivot table list in this form) Thanks Home....Prod....Yr1....Yr2....Yr3....Yr4 xxx1.....prod1....100....200....300....400 xxx2.....prod2....110....210....310....410 xxx1.....prod3....120....220....320....420 xxx2.....prod4....130....2...

Using expression builder object
Hi, I'm developing a wizzard in Access which builds import templates for various data sources to a fixed set of tables. In step 3 the users must be able to build an expression ; for instance Left([Fieldx],20) . Now I would like to have a command button on my form which calls the Access expression builder to allow the users to use this to build the expression. This expression will then be stored in a text box linked to the templates table. Anybody know how to call and use this object from VBA code? -- Kind regards Noëlla DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdInvokeBuilder I th...

MS Money 95 data files

Copy entire row where CellValue=0

data input in text box

Using part of a cell in a chart title

Filter recordset using query results
Hi all I have a form based on a query called [qry Quarterly Planning], it lists all Itineraries on the system. On this form you can filter records by specifying a Start and End Date for the [ReviewDate] and/or [Specialist]. It is a subform on a main unbound form, lets call this Subform1. Along side this I have another subform (Subform2) which displays ReviewDates that exist against an Itinerary. In other words Subform1 has a start date of an activity and if the activity lasts longer than 1 day, then the additional dates are stored in Subform2 (ItineraryDates). Currently when I...

How do I use traffic lights in excel

cant start outlook pst file to large

Where is the workspace file stored?

Using Visio HTML output within frames
Hi, I want to include visio HTML output in a frame of another html file. Unfortunately it is not working. I understood the problem is in vml_*.htm files. It is due to, the target arrtibute(pointing to _parent) in v:shapetype tag and href attribute (pointing to #) in v:shape tag. These attributes should point to "_top" and "<target-html-file>#" respectively inorder to work. I want to change these options while saving .vsd as web page? I would appreciate if you can help me in this regard. <v:shapetype id="VISSHAPE" target="_parent" coor...

Automatic incremental of records
I have a table with several records and arranged serially, i.e 1,2,3 .....25. When I delete arecod like record number 3 I would like record number 4 to become record number 3. But in my case Record number 4 still remains serial number 4 although it is actually the third record. Is there a way it can be done automatically? njogus wrote: > I have a table with several records and arranged serially, i.e 1,2,3 > .....25. When I delete arecod like record number 3 I would like > record number 4 to become record number 3. But in my case Record > number 4 still remains serial number ...

Trying to read XML file into dataset

Newbie Question: Using Web Services
Hello All. I've been trying to implement Infopath with CRM with no success. I've tried the example, http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm1_2/html/mbs_crminfopathcrmintegration.asp, to no avail. I have followed the example to the letter, but find the information about publishing the Web Service to the server to be somewhat lacking. Admittedly, I am not a programmer, and I am continually running into an error in line 54: xmlDoc.LoadXml(objQuery.ExecuteQuery(objBizUser.WhoAmI(), strAllAccountsFetchXML)); Has anyone else ...

opening .bak file

Calculating age in a label or text box on a form
Hello All, I have a text box for birthdate for a user to enter the birthdate and I want to the age for the user to be automatically calcuated and displayed in another label called "Age." What formula can I use? Missy ...

How do I save a Publisher Document as a JPEG file?
I have multliple scanned photos that posted to a Publisher document and I need to email it. I want to save the document as Jpeg, but it doesn't give me that option even when I choose "Save As". Please help!!! I desperately need to sent this email and it's not working!! Desperately seeking jpeg wrote: > I have multliple scanned photos that posted to a > Publisher document and I need to email it. I want to > save the document as Jpeg, but it doesn't give me that > option even when I choose "Save As". Please help!!! I > desperately need to...

Accessing the same PST file from multiple WinXP Pro IDs
I am running a Windows NT 4.0 network with workstations with Windows XP Pro. One user has Outlook 2000 on his notebook. He has a profile to log on to the machine itself (i.e. not on the Windows NT domain) for when he's "on the road" and one for logging on to the NT network domain to use the printers and network facilities. On my personal notebook I have Office XP and I was able to configure Outlook's data files (Tools -> Options -> Mail Setup -> Data Files) so that I would access the same PST file under both profiles. I cannot figure out how/if this is poss...