deleting entire rows with the same cell value in the first column

Hi!
I have an huge table in which there are lots of rows that have the same
value as the one in the row before:

How can I delete them leaving this way only one row per value without
searching for them and deleting them manualy?

Any help welcome!

Pedro, assuming your data starts in a1, in b1 type =if(a1=a2,"Y","") and copy
down for the length of your data.  Then filter on Y and delete all those
rows.  HTH
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"Pedro F." wrote:

> Hi!
> I have an huge table in which there are lots of rows that have the same
> value as the one in the row before:
>
> 1
> 1
> 1
> 2
> 2
> 2
>
> How can I delete them leaving this way only one row per value without
> searching for them and deleting them manualy?
>
> Any help welcome!
0
Michael5492 (655)
1/11/2006 3:46:02 PM
Thanx!
But the thing is that I have a lot of diferent values that are
repeated....so I would have to do it for each one of those values...

"Michael" wrote:

> Pedro, assuming your data starts in a1, in b1 type =if(a1=a2,"Y","") and copy
> down for the length of your data.  Then filter on Y and delete all those
> rows.  HTH
> --
> Sincerely, Michael Colvin
>

> "Pedro F." wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > I have an huge table in which there are lots of rows that have the same
> > value as the one in the row before:
> >
> > 1
> > 1
> > 1
> > 2
> > 2
> > 2
> >
> > How can I delete them leaving this way only one row per value without
> > searching for them and deleting them manualy?
> >
> > Any help welcome!
0
PedroF (1)
1/11/2006 4:07:05 PM
Pedro

Did you try the steps Michael gave?

Each duplicate in column A will have a "Y" in column B after you drag/copy the
formula down.

After you filter on "Y" and delete those rows only unique items will remain.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 08:07:05 -0800, "Pedro F."
<PedroF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanx!
>But the thing is that I have a lot of diferent values that are
>repeated....so I would have to do it for each one of those values...
>
>"Michael" wrote:
>
>> Pedro, assuming your data starts in a1, in b1 type =if(a1=a2,"Y","") and copy
>> down for the length of your data.  Then filter on Y and delete all those
>> rows.  HTH
>> --
>> Sincerely, Michael Colvin
>>

>> "Pedro F." wrote:
>>
>> > Hi!
>> > I have an huge table in which there are lots of rows that have the same
>> > value as the one in the row before:
>> >
>> > 1
>> > 1
>> > 1
>> > 2
>> > 2
>> > 2
>> >
>> > How can I delete them leaving this way only one row per value without
>> > searching for them and deleting them manualy?
>> >
>> > Any help welcome!

0
Gord

Inserting a Row from a UserForm
Hi guys- I'm kind of a self-taught VBA programmer and I can usually blunder around and get a macro to work, but I'm having trouble with a rather difficult one right now. I've created a UserForm that has 6 fields the user has to fill in for a database. Once the user hits the "OK" button, I want the macro to look for the last entry in the database that is identical to what the user filled in Field 1 of the UserForm and insert a row beneath it and fill in the cells with the data from the UserForm. So, i.e: Apple Apple Orange Orange Orange Banana Grape Grape If I type &...

Can I delete my switchboard and make a new one?
I do not like my switchboard and would like to delete this one and start all over. But when I did delete it I couldn't make another one, because I couldn't delete the default. What should I do?Thanks,Dustin Just delete the form and the table that were created by the wizard, then start over.-- Rick B"Dustin" <Dustin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42F94A44-9352-4D02-9104-65593869B271@microsoft.com...>I do not like my switchboard and would like to delete this one and start >all> over. But when I did delete it I couldn't make another one, beca...

New mail appearing as old deleted item
When new mail arrives in inbox an old long deleted item appears in place of the new mail showing in bold as new mail. The real new mail is not visible at all and is therefore lost. This problem also used to happen in Windows Mail so I bought Outlook 2007 but it still happens intermittantly. -- Kate What do you see in your Unread Mail folder? "Kate B" <KateB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9A95DD7-CFC4-423F-9B2B-F8B72177E2CE@microsoft.com... > When new mail arrives in inbox an old long deleted item appears in place of > the new mail...

Wrapping text in a cell
In a single cell, suppose I want text to appear on two lines. Viz: Case One Case Two How do I do that so that I specify the wrap point? Thanks! If you are typing the data into the cell use Alt-Enter between each string to indicate where you want a line break to occur. Case One<Alt-Enter>Case Two Alt + Enter -- Lilliabeth ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Lilliabeth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27741 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=476428 If you...

Convert Column to row with variable data
Hi I'm using Excel 2k and I have a spreadsheet that looks like this Name Address Fred 21 Blah St London Sue Tower 50 London EC2 and need it to look like this Name Address 1 Address2 Address3 Fred 21 Blah St London Sue Tower 50 London EC2 I have a macro that can convert from column to row but only for a set number of columns. Is there any way to account for the variable amount of data for each address ? Any help much appreciated Thanks David David: I suggest the following formulae - copied down as necessary: C2: =IF(...

Locking Formulas to Cells
I don't know if I am using the correct terminology but this is what want to do: I have placed formulas in multiple columns that calculat my sales numbers for a bid. The problem I am running into is that change the bids for every person and when I clear a cell is clears th formula from it as well. Is there a way for me to clear cells withou deleting the formula I have placed inside it? I know that I can jus grab the first cell in the column and drag it down to re-load th formula in that column but I don't want to have to do that. I want th formulas permenant and the data I enter...

sum of a column according to two or more variables
I have a master log with a column called hours lost, a column calle vendor, one called problem type and the rows are labeled and sorted b date. I would like to sum the hours lost column for each month according t the month and vendor, and have the sum end up in one cell I would also like to sum the hours lost column for each month accordin to the month and problem type and have the sum end up in one cell basically I only want the hours lost data for a specific vendor an month at one time or a specific problem type and month at one time, bu I don't know how to set up the formula correctl...

How do I add a hyperlink to an individual word in an Excel cell?
I am using Excel 2000 (not by choice) and I need to add a hyperlink to an individual word within the cell, not the whole cell itself. For example in the sentence "Click here or here to go to the appropriate web page." I want the words "here" to each have a separate hyperlink. Any ideas? I can manage some VBA too if necessary. Thanks, Rosalie Hi Rosalie, You can't do that in Excel. You would have to use HTML or Word or some other means. You could fake it, the entire cell would be a link, but you could after assigning the hyperlink select another...

how can I drag formulas with other cell references
example cell A1 contains formula "=stdev(a2:a7) cell a2 contains formula "=stdev(a8:a13) Is it possible to drag the formula down so that cell a3 contains "=stdev(a14:19) and cell a4 contains "=stdev(a20:a25) and so on for cells a5, a6, a7 etc. etc. Hi Bram, See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm#snkAddr B1: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) B2: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) It was easier to test and verify using SUM instead of stdev, but the formula is same NOTE the formulas are in a different colu...

Cell Selection?
I have a colum of numbers 198 0 0 198 2 What I need, is to be able to select 3. the 198's are not going to be used in the next part of my equation. That seems simple enough, however all the numbers could be usable (not 198) and I need to use just the first three. Any ideas? One interp / way, using non-array formulas Assuming source numbers in A1 down Put In B1: =IF(COUNT($C$1:C1)>3,"",C1) In C1: =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1))),"", INDEX(A:A,MATCH(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1)),D:D,0))) In D1: =IF(A1="","",IF(A1=198,"",ROW())) Select B1:D...

Formulas don't work in certain cells #2
nope, the cells are formatted as numbers. I simply cannot figure thi out. -Jorda -- kalik24 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kalik247's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1594 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27423 Being formatted as numbers doesn't automatically mean they are numbers. Copy an empty cell formatted to General. Select your range of numbers and Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:59:46 -0600, kalik247 <kalik2...

want to add all $ in column c where column A is the same
I'm very new at Excel, and a real math dummy. I've figured out how to enter a formula when all the $ I want to add are together, but I can't figure out how to do that when I want to select only the $ values for certain items listed throughout the spreadsheet. For example: I keep a running list of Architects, their projects and $ values of each project as they are assigned. I want to automatically calculate the total current $ value for each Architect without having to sort them in order, or create a separate table for each architect. Can I do that? Here's what th...

reflecting values in a column into a row
I am creating a chart to map a round-robin chess game. If there are 4 players, then all 4 has to play one another. if I have the names John Mike Sally Bill Then I'd like to type them into a columns and write a formula in a row to pick up the names the spreadsheet should then look like this: John Mike Sally Bill John Mike Sally Bill I think it may be achieved with the Indirect() function, but my Excel 2007 help seems broken and I can't figure it out without an example. Thanks. MikeB With names in A2:A5 Enter in B1 =INDIRECT("A"&COLUMN(B1)) Or...

Remove last letter from column
Hi, I have a list of titles and some titles have a letter A or B at the end.. is there a function/formula I can use to remove them if it ends in A or B? For example (my list): Accounting Sr Mgr B Accounts Payable Sr Mgr B Ambulatory Plng Sr Prog Dir A Need it to look like this: Accounting Sr Mgr Accounts Payable Sr Mgr Ambulatory Plng Sr Prog Dir Thanks! This will get rid of the A or B at the end along with the space before it. Assuming the value is in A5: =IF(OR(RIGHT(A5,2)=" B",RIGHT(A5,2)=" A"),LEFT(A5,LEN(A5)-2),A5) kvc wrote: > Hi, I have a list of titles a...

Workflow rule on (Order)Products and columns of related entities in advanced find view
Hi, Does anyone know whether it's possible to create workflow rules on (Order)Products, since the entity Products isn't part of the standard workflow entity? In my example I have added a new (expiry) date attribute on the OrderProduct form. Now I would like to add a workflow rule on that datefield to create a task when the expiry date is nearly reached; but the problem I have is that i can't "reach" the fields on the OrderProduct form to put a workflow rule on? Another problem I have is that I've created an advanced find query in which I query customers who have or...

Deleting record from bindingsource
Hi I have a winform app with form control bound to a binding source TblClientsBindingSource. The binding source has a data table as its data source as per below code; dAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter("SELECT * FROM tblClients WHERE ...", Conn) dAdapter.Fill(dTable) TblClientsBindingSource.DataSource = dTable My question is; how do I delete the record currently pointed to by the binding source from the backend database table tblClients? Thanks Regards John wrote: > Hi > > I have a winform app with form control bound to a binding source &g...

Page Number in Repeat Rows area
Is there a way that I can put a Page Number in the Repeat Rows area of a sheet - and get it to update when I print? I have found one piece of VBA that puts a page number within a cell but it is only updated if the cell is outside the Repeat Row area. When it is within the Repeat Rows area I just get a page number of 1 corresponding to the original row location.. I do some VBA programming but am not an expert. TIA cheers Chris Nothing comes to mind that doesn't require VBA code. You can paste the following in the sheet header (File | Page Setup) and page x of y will print on ea...

Cannot stop using online services with First Tech Credit Union
My bank, First Tech Credit Union, recently upgraded their online banking services. This upgrade also included a change to the user name and password used for online banking in Money 2006. Their upgrade instructions (http://www.firsttechcu.com/help/help_guide_money.html) say to disable online services for your Money file as the third step to upgrading to the new services. The problem is that when I click on Stop Using Online Services in Money nothing happens. I click on OK and Money hangs for a bit then comes back with no change, clicking on OK again has the same effect, clicking on ...

Access, average several fields in one row
I have several rows of data in a field, I need to average all the entries in one row I have 12 fields for 12 months of data, I need the average of the sum of all non blank entries. For example 3 months completed, the solution in Excel is (field1+field2+field3)/3 I am looking for method to average the sum in Access One way if you can't change your data is to use a VBA function. I've posted one below. You would call it in a calculated field in a query. Assuming your field names are the abbreviated month names the expression might look like the following. Field: fRow...

can't change/delete bills and deposits
suddenly one day i realized that when i tried to change a bill, i could click "ok" but nothing would happen. I thought it was because i upgraded to 2004, so i deleted the bills and rescheduled. about 5 of the bills will not delete either. the error message is: "Money could not write to your Money file. The operation could not be performed or another application finished this task before you. Please try again." Now some of the newly scheduled bills will not allow me to change the properties, i click ok but nothing happens when i edit the series. I have repaired ...

Deleting Folders
Hi, I have all my accounts synchronised. I have inadvertently deleted a folder with many sub-folders under my local folders. Does anyone know if I can retrieve and how? Appreciate any help. This info. is very important. In case of Exchange; Tools-> Recover Deleted Items... In case of a pst; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/restoredeleteditemsfromanoutlookpst.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Jac" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Change Row/Column Height & Width
I know I should be able to automatically set a row height to the max necessary by hovering the cursor between the 2 rows I want to adjust and double-clicking, but sometimes this doesn't always work. Why is that that - do I need to adjust a setting? And is there any way to set it so that if text is added or deleted the row height would change automatically so thatthe text fit appropriately? Set the row format to Autofit and cells to Wrap Text Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 19 May 2009 12:14:04 -0700, DaveL <DaveL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I know I should be ...

if cell in other worksheet meets criteria, then leave blank.
I have data in worksheet A for each month, for each entity. Then I have a summary page which shows just the averages for each entity for each month. Then I need to create a master summary page which shows just the annual average for each entity, just one line per entity. My Summary page shows Jan-Dec in column A. I have a formula averaging the numbers from worksheet A. Jan-Mar is done. But the rest of the year hasn't happened yet, so April's formula results "#DIV/0!". I have already put in all the formulas for the year to be done with it. But I don'...

need to make a formula that would add a field value to current dat
I have made a form in which I input different values. On of the values is (How Many Days). Now I need to a assign a default value, or expression (not sure which way to go about this) that will take the date value for (Date) and add the value (How Many Days) I figured that the formula should read =sum([Date]+[How Many Days]) But that is not giving me any results, thanx for your help in advance =DateDiff("d", Date(), [How Many Days]) -- Wayne Manchester, England. "J Man" wrote: > I have made a form in which I input different values. On of the values is ...

change column name from letters to numbers?
I'm importing a 3rd party CSV file into Excel and then comparing some of the contents to a printed spec. Each numbered field in the spec corresponds to a column in the work sheet. I'd like to change the column headers from letters to numbers. Is that possible? Tools-->Options, General tab. Check the R1C1 Reference Style. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Jerry" <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:OoyPef$eFHA.3048@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I'm importing a 3rd party CSV file into Excel and then comparing ...