Delete duplicate rows of data when two columns are the same

I have a worksheet and need to delete duplicate rows when two of my columns 
are the same.  

So as below:
For every "EMPLOYEE", look at the "JOB ADP" columns - if its the rows are 
the same, look at the "MASTER COST CENTER" column and see if thats the 
cooresponding rows are the same.  If yes, delete that record (row).  If no, 
leave it.
                T                U                             W             
              X
1         Job ADP	EMPLOYEE	          Master Cost Center     Strd Hours
2           123500	111111111		98140                     40
3           123500	111111111 	98140                      37.5
4           409997	333333333 	17280                      40
5           409997	444444444		16582                      40
6           409997	666666666	                17275                      37.5
7           409997	666666666 	17280                      40
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
example:  should look like this

Job ADP	EMPLOYEE	          Master Cost Center     Strd Hours
123500	111111111		98140                     40
409997	333333333 	17280                      40
409997	444444444		16582                      40
409997	666666666	                17275                      37.5
409997	666666666 	17280                      40


Hope you can help, I am nearing the end of a very long project and would 
appreciate this so much!
-- 
Excel isnt just a program its a metaphor for life.  Sometimes it''''s easy 
and boring.. sometimes it''''s a little challenging and great.. then there 
are days it will drive you absolutely INSANE.
0
Utf
4/15/2010 1:24:01 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

6 Replies
743 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 35

Hi,

Questions.

Is it always the first row of any duplicates you want to keep?
Will there ever be more than 2 duplicate rows?
-- 
Mike

When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that 
introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the 
question.


"Katerinia" wrote:

> I have a worksheet and need to delete duplicate rows when two of my columns 
> are the same.  
> 
> So as below:
> For every "EMPLOYEE", look at the "JOB ADP" columns - if its the rows are 
> the same, look at the "MASTER COST CENTER" column and see if thats the 
> cooresponding rows are the same.  If yes, delete that record (row).  If no, 
> leave it.
>                 T                U                             W             
>               X
> 1         Job ADP	EMPLOYEE	          Master Cost Center     Strd Hours
> 2           123500	111111111		98140                     40
> 3           123500	111111111 	98140                      37.5
> 4           409997	333333333 	17280                      40
> 5           409997	444444444		16582                      40
> 6           409997	666666666	                17275                      37.5
> 7           409997	666666666 	17280                      40
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> example:  should look like this
> 
> Job ADP	EMPLOYEE	          Master Cost Center     Strd Hours
> 123500	111111111		98140                     40
> 409997	333333333 	17280                      40
> 409997	444444444		16582                      40
> 409997	666666666	                17275                      37.5
> 409997	666666666 	17280                      40
> 
> 
> Hope you can help, I am nearing the end of a very long project and would 
> appreciate this so much!
> -- 
> Excel isnt just a program its a metaphor for life.  Sometimes it''''s easy 
> and boring.. sometimes it''''s a little challenging and great.. then there 
> are days it will drive you absolutely INSANE.
0
Utf
4/15/2010 1:49:01 PM
Hi

befoere you start make sure you really know which record you want to delete 
- in the example you got rid of the one with fewer standard hours - is that 
always the case?

Excel 2007 includes a duplicate row removal feature and prior to that you 
should consider downloading the 'Asap Utilities' a free excel add-on with 
lots of stuff like this.

In the meantime try the following:

create a  column at the end of your data set as follows:


Column AA: =Jobadp&employee&master cost centre (use the correct columns/rows 
for your sheet - from the example it would be =T2 & U2 & W2)
fill this down to the bottom of your data

Column AB: = countif($AA:$AA,AA2) - the AA2 should reflect the first row of 
your data (2 in the example)

- when you recalculate column AB will show a number greater than 1 for every 
row you want to delete. Either manually scan down and delete those greater 
than 1 or :-

Select all the values in column AB and 'copy', then 'paste special, values' 
into column AC - make sure the rows match up exactly. Now select the ENTIRE 
table including all your data upto AC and sort on AC - find the first row in 
AC that is greater then 1 and delete the rest.

simple huh?

regards
Reg

"Katerinia" wrote:

> I have a worksheet and need to delete duplicate rows when two of my columns 
> are the same.  
> 
> So as below:
> For every "EMPLOYEE", look at the "JOB ADP" columns - if its the rows are 
> the same, look at the "MASTER COST CENTER" column and see if thats the 
> cooresponding rows are the same.  If yes, delete that record (row).  If no, 
> leave it.
>                 T                U                             W             
>               X
> 1         Job ADP	EMPLOYEE	          Master Cost Center     Strd Hours
> 2           123500	111111111		98140                     40
> 3           123500	111111111 	98140                      37.5
> 4           409997	333333333 	17280                      40
> 5           409997	444444444		16582                      40
> 6           409997	666666666	                17275                      37.5
> 7           409997	666666666 	17280                      40
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> example:  should look like this
> 
> Job ADP	EMPLOYEE	          Master Cost Center     Strd Hours
> 123500	111111111		98140                     40
> 409997	333333333 	17280                      40
> 409997	444444444		16582                      40
> 409997	666666666	                17275                      37.5
> 409997	666666666 	17280                      40
> 
> 
> Hope you can help, I am nearing the end of a very long project and would 
> appreciate this so much!
> -- 
> Excel isnt just a program its a metaphor for life.  Sometimes it''''s easy 
> and boring.. sometimes it''''s a little challenging and great.. then there 
> are days it will drive you absolutely INSANE.
0
Utf
4/15/2010 1:57:01 PM
yes, the stnd hours is data that was just shoved in there and not accurate, 
they have to reenter that data.  So the first record is fine.

there could be more than two duplicates yes.
-- 
Excel isnt just a program its a metaphor for life.  Sometimes it is easy and 
boring.. sometimes it is a little challenging and great.. then there are days 
it will drive you absolutely INSANE.


"Mike H" wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> Questions.
> 
> Is it always the first row of any duplicates you want to keep?
> Will there ever be more than 2 duplicate rows?
> -- 
> Mike
> 
> When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that 
> introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the 
> question.
> 
> 
> "Katerinia" wrote:
> 
> > I have a worksheet and need to delete duplicate rows when two of my columns 
> > are the same.  
> > 
> > So as below:
> > For every "EMPLOYEE", look at the "JOB ADP" columns - if its the rows are 
> > the same, look at the "MASTER COST CENTER" column and see if thats the 
> > cooresponding rows are the same.  If yes, delete that record (row).  If no, 
> > leave it.
> >                 T                U                             W             
> >               X
> > 1         Job ADP	EMPLOYEE	          Master Cost Center     Strd Hours
> > 2           123500	111111111		98140                     40
> > 3           123500	111111111 	98140                      37.5
> > 4           409997	333333333 	17280                      40
> > 5           409997	444444444		16582                      40
> > 6           409997	666666666	                17275                      37.5
> > 7           409997	666666666 	17280                      40
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > example:  should look like this
> > 
> > Job ADP	EMPLOYEE	          Master Cost Center     Strd Hours
> > 123500	111111111		98140                     40
> > 409997	333333333 	17280                      40
> > 409997	444444444		16582                      40
> > 409997	666666666	                17275                      37.5
> > 409997	666666666 	17280                      40
> > 
> > 
> > Hope you can help, I am nearing the end of a very long project and would 
> > appreciate this so much!
> > -- 
> > Excel isnt just a program its a metaphor for life.  Sometimes it''''s easy 
> > and boring.. sometimes it''''s a little challenging and great.. then there 
> > are days it will drive you absolutely INSANE.
0
Utf
4/15/2010 2:42:01 PM
Katerinia,

Try this macro. your original post wasn't very clear because of line-wrap 
but I think the 2 columns were interested in are T & W.

If that's incorrect then alter column T in these lines to the correct one
LastRow = sht.Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "T").End(xlUp).Row
Set MyRange = sht.Range("T3:T" & LastRow)

I get the second column as an offset from column T in this line
If c = c.Offset(-1) And c.Offset(, 3) = c.Offset(-1, 3) Then

Column W is offset 3 from column T so if that's wrong change the 3 but NOT 
the -1


Sub stance()
Dim MyRange As Range
Dim CopyRange As Range
Dim LastRow As Long
Dim c As Range
Set sht = Sheets("Sheet1") ' Change to suit
LastRow = sht.Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "T").End(xlUp).Row
Set MyRange = sht.Range("T3:T" & LastRow)
For Each c In MyRange
If c = c.Offset(-1) And c.Offset(, 3) = c.Offset(-1, 3) Then
    If CopyRange Is Nothing Then
        Set CopyRange = c.EntireRow
    Else
        Set CopyRange = Union(CopyRange, c.EntireRow)
    End If
 End If
Next
If Not CopyRange Is Nothing Then
CopyRange.Delete
End If
End Sub

-- 
Mike

When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that 
introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the 
question.


"Katerinia" wrote:

> yes, the stnd hours is data that was just shoved in there and not accurate, 
> they have to reenter that data.  So the first record is fine.
> 
> there could be more than two duplicates yes.
> -- 
> Excel isnt just a program its a metaphor for life.  Sometimes it is easy and 
> boring.. sometimes it is a little challenging and great.. then there are days 
> it will drive you absolutely INSANE.
> 
> 
> "Mike H" wrote:
> 
> > Hi,
> > 
> > Questions.
> > 
> > Is it always the first row of any duplicates you want to keep?
> > Will there ever be more than 2 duplicate rows?
> > -- 
> > Mike
> > 
> > When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that 
> > introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the 
> > question.
> > 
> > 
> > "Katerinia" wrote:
> > 
> > > I have a worksheet and need to delete duplicate rows when two of my columns 
> > > are the same.  
> > > 
> > > So as below:
> > > For every "EMPLOYEE", look at the "JOB ADP" columns - if its the rows are 
> > > the same, look at the "MASTER COST CENTER" column and see if thats the 
> > > cooresponding rows are the same.  If yes, delete that record (row).  If no, 
> > > leave it.
> > >                 T                U                             W             
> > >               X
> > > 1         Job ADP	EMPLOYEE	          Master Cost Center     Strd Hours
> > > 2           123500	111111111		98140                     40
> > > 3           123500	111111111 	98140                      37.5
> > > 4           409997	333333333 	17280                      40
> > > 5           409997	444444444		16582                      40
> > > 6           409997	666666666	                17275                      37.5
> > > 7           409997	666666666 	17280                      40
> > > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > example:  should look like this
> > > 
> > > Job ADP	EMPLOYEE	          Master Cost Center     Strd Hours
> > > 123500	111111111		98140                     40
> > > 409997	333333333 	17280                      40
> > > 409997	444444444		16582                      40
> > > 409997	666666666	                17275                      37.5
> > > 409997	666666666 	17280                      40
> > > 
> > > 
> > > Hope you can help, I am nearing the end of a very long project and would 
> > > appreciate this so much!
> > > -- 
> > > Excel isnt just a program its a metaphor for life.  Sometimes it''''s easy 
> > > and boring.. sometimes it''''s a little challenging and great.. then there 
> > > are days it will drive you absolutely INSANE.
0
Utf
4/15/2010 3:04:16 PM
Actually Colomns T, U and W are the important ones.

For each SS#(EMPLOYEE) in Column U, i need to check T and W to see if any 
rows match.  If all three do, then delete.

Thanks for your help on this.. Hope this explains it more.
-- 
Excel isnt just a program its a metaphor for life.  Sometimes it is easy and 
boring.. sometimes it is a little challenging and great.. then there are days 
it will drive you absolutely INSANE.


"Mike H" wrote:

> Katerinia,
> 
> Try this macro. your original post wasn't very clear because of line-wrap 
> but I think the 2 columns were interested in are T & W.
> 
> If that's incorrect then alter column T in these lines to the correct one
> LastRow = sht.Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "T").End(xlUp).Row
> Set MyRange = sht.Range("T3:T" & LastRow)
> 
> I get the second column as an offset from column T in this line
> If c = c.Offset(-1) And c.Offset(, 3) = c.Offset(-1, 3) Then
> 
> Column W is offset 3 from column T so if that's wrong change the 3 but NOT 
> the -1
> 
> 
> Sub stance()
> Dim MyRange As Range
> Dim CopyRange As Range
> Dim LastRow As Long
> Dim c As Range
> Set sht = Sheets("Sheet1") ' Change to suit
> LastRow = sht.Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "T").End(xlUp).Row
> Set MyRange = sht.Range("T3:T" & LastRow)
> For Each c In MyRange
> If c = c.Offset(-1) And c.Offset(, 3) = c.Offset(-1, 3) Then
>     If CopyRange Is Nothing Then
>         Set CopyRange = c.EntireRow
>     Else
>         Set CopyRange = Union(CopyRange, c.EntireRow)
>     End If
>  End If
> Next
> If Not CopyRange Is Nothing Then
> CopyRange.Delete
> End If
> End Sub
> 
> -- 
> Mike
> 
> When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that 
> introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the 
> question.
> 
> 
> "Katerinia" wrote:
> 
> > yes, the stnd hours is data that was just shoved in there and not accurate, 
> > they have to reenter that data.  So the first record is fine.
> > 
> > there could be more than two duplicates yes.
> > -- 
> > Excel isnt just a program its a metaphor for life.  Sometimes it is easy and 
> > boring.. sometimes it is a little challenging and great.. then there are days 
> > it will drive you absolutely INSANE.
> > 
> > 
> > "Mike H" wrote:
> > 
> > > Hi,
> > > 
> > > Questions.
> > > 
> > > Is it always the first row of any duplicates you want to keep?
> > > Will there ever be more than 2 duplicate rows?
> > > -- 
> > > Mike
> > > 
> > > When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that 
> > > introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the 
> > > question.
> > > 
> > > 
> > > "Katerinia" wrote:
> > > 
> > > > I have a worksheet and need to delete duplicate rows when two of my columns 
> > > > are the same.  
> > > > 
> > > > So as below:
> > > > For every "EMPLOYEE", look at the "JOB ADP" columns - if its the rows are 
> > > > the same, look at the "MASTER COST CENTER" column and see if thats the 
> > > > cooresponding rows are the same.  If yes, delete that record (row).  If no, 
> > > > leave it.
> > > >                 T                U                             W                         X
> > > > 1         Job ADP	EMPLOYEE	          Master Cost Center     Strd Hours
> > > > 2           123500	111111111		98140                     40
> > > > 3           123500	111111111 	98140                  37.5
> > > > 4           409997	333333333 	17280                      40
> > > > 5           409997	444444444		16582                      40
> > > > 6           409997	666666666	                17275                   37.5
> > > > 7           409997	666666666 	17280                      40
> > > > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > > example:  should look like this
> > > > 
> > > > Job ADP	EMPLOYEE	          Master Cost Center     Strd Hours
> > > > 123500	111111111		98140                     40
> > > > 409997	333333333 	17280                      40
> > > > 409997	444444444		16582                      40
> > > > 409997	666666666	                17275                  37.5
> > > > 409997	666666666 	17280                      40
> > > > 
> > > > 
> > > > Hope you can help, I am nearing the end of a very long project and would 
> > > > appreciate this so much!
> > > > -- 
> > > > Excel isnt just a program its a metaphor for life.  Sometimes it''''s easy 
> > > > and boring.. sometimes it''''s a little challenging and great.. then there 
> > > > are days it will drive you absolutely INSANE.
0
Utf
4/15/2010 3:57:02 PM
Katerinia,

This now check columns T, U and W and if they are the same then as the 
previous rows(s) then only the top record is retained, the rest are deleted. 
One thing I never considered is that in your test data column T is sorted and 
I have assumed this will always be the case.

Dim MyRange As Range
Dim CopyRange As Range
Dim LastRow As Long
Dim c As Range
Set sht = Sheets("Sheet1") ' Change to suit
LastRow = sht.Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "T").End(xlUp).Row
Set MyRange = sht.Range("T3:T" & LastRow)
For Each c In MyRange
If c = c.Offset(-1) And c.Offset(, 3) = c.Offset(-1, 3) And _
c.Offset(, 1) = c.Offset(-1, 1) Then
    If CopyRange Is Nothing Then
        Set CopyRange = c.EntireRow
    Else
        Set CopyRange = Union(CopyRange, c.EntireRow)
    End If
 End If
Next
If Not CopyRange Is Nothing Then
CopyRange.delete
End If
End Sub
-- 
Mike

When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that 
introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the 
question.


"Katerinia" wrote:

> Actually Colomns T, U and W are the important ones.
> 
> For each SS#(EMPLOYEE) in Column U, i need to check T and W to see if any 
> rows match.  If all three do, then delete.
> 
> Thanks for your help on this.. Hope this explains it more.
> -- 
> Excel isnt just a program its a metaphor for life.  Sometimes it is easy and 
> boring.. sometimes it is a little challenging and great.. then there are days 
> it will drive you absolutely INSANE.
> 
> 
> "Mike H" wrote:
> 
> > Katerinia,
> > 
> > Try this macro. your original post wasn't very clear because of line-wrap 
> > but I think the 2 columns were interested in are T & W.
> > 
> > If that's incorrect then alter column T in these lines to the correct one
> > LastRow = sht.Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "T").End(xlUp).Row
> > Set MyRange = sht.Range("T3:T" & LastRow)
> > 
> > I get the second column as an offset from column T in this line
> > If c = c.Offset(-1) And c.Offset(, 3) = c.Offset(-1, 3) Then
> > 
> > Column W is offset 3 from column T so if that's wrong change the 3 but NOT 
> > the -1
> > 
> > 
> > Sub stance()
> > Dim MyRange As Range
> > Dim CopyRange As Range
> > Dim LastRow As Long
> > Dim c As Range
> > Set sht = Sheets("Sheet1") ' Change to suit
> > LastRow = sht.Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "T").End(xlUp).Row
> > Set MyRange = sht.Range("T3:T" & LastRow)
> > For Each c In MyRange
> > If c = c.Offset(-1) And c.Offset(, 3) = c.Offset(-1, 3) Then
> >     If CopyRange Is Nothing Then
> >         Set CopyRange = c.EntireRow
> >     Else
> >         Set CopyRange = Union(CopyRange, c.EntireRow)
> >     End If
> >  End If
> > Next
> > If Not CopyRange Is Nothing Then
> > CopyRange.Delete
> > End If
> > End Sub
> > 
> > -- 
> > Mike
> > 
> > When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that 
> > introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the 
> > question.
> > 
> > 
> > "Katerinia" wrote:
> > 
> > > yes, the stnd hours is data that was just shoved in there and not accurate, 
> > > they have to reenter that data.  So the first record is fine.
> > > 
> > > there could be more than two duplicates yes.
> > > -- 
> > > Excel isnt just a program its a metaphor for life.  Sometimes it is easy and 
> > > boring.. sometimes it is a little challenging and great.. then there are days 
> > > it will drive you absolutely INSANE.
> > > 
> > > 
> > > "Mike H" wrote:
> > > 
> > > > Hi,
> > > > 
> > > > Questions.
> > > > 
> > > > Is it always the first row of any duplicates you want to keep?
> > > > Will there ever be more than 2 duplicate rows?
> > > > -- 
> > > > Mike
> > > > 
> > > > When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that 
> > > > introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the 
> > > > question.
> > > > 
> > > > 
> > > > "Katerinia" wrote:
> > > > 
> > > > > I have a worksheet and need to delete duplicate rows when two of my columns 
> > > > > are the same.  
> > > > > 
> > > > > So as below:
> > > > > For every "EMPLOYEE", look at the "JOB ADP" columns - if its the rows are 
> > > > > the same, look at the "MASTER COST CENTER" column and see if thats the 
> > > > > cooresponding rows are the same.  If yes, delete that record (row).  If no, 
> > > > > leave it.
> > > > >                 T                U                             W                         X
> > > > > 1         Job ADP	EMPLOYEE	          Master Cost Center     Strd Hours
> > > > > 2           123500	111111111		98140                     40
> > > > > 3           123500	111111111 	98140                  37.5
> > > > > 4           409997	333333333 	17280                      40
> > > > > 5           409997	444444444		16582                      40
> > > > > 6           409997	666666666	                17275                   37.5
> > > > > 7           409997	666666666 	17280                      40
> > > > > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > > > example:  should look like this
> > > > > 
> > > > > Job ADP	EMPLOYEE	          Master Cost Center     Strd Hours
> > > > > 123500	111111111		98140                     40
> > > > > 409997	333333333 	17280                      40
> > > > > 409997	444444444		16582                      40
> > > > > 409997	666666666	                17275                  37.5
> > > > > 409997	666666666 	17280                      40
> > > > > 
> > > > > 
> > > > > Hope you can help, I am nearing the end of a very long project and would 
> > > > > appreciate this so much!
> > > > > -- 
> > > > > Excel isnt just a program its a metaphor for life.  Sometimes it''''s easy 
> > > > > and boring.. sometimes it''''s a little challenging and great.. then there 
> > > > > are days it will drive you absolutely INSANE.
0
Utf
4/15/2010 4:06:01 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

double clicking and draging a column in a chart to chg data
in Excel 2003, double clicking on a column in a chart and then dragging the column up or down would change the data in a table upon which the chart depended. How does one do this in excel 2007? Tom Hi, That feature has been removed in 2007, there is no way to do it. If this helps, click the Yes button. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Tom of inns" wrote: > in Excel 2003, double clicking on a column in a chart and then dragging the > column up or down would change the data in a table upon which the chart > depended. > > How does one do this in excel 2007? &g...

Problems migrating BCM data into CRM SB edition
Hi There I am having a problem migrating data from Business Contacts Manager (BCM) into CRM 3.0 Small Business edition. I have downloaded the BCM data migration pack and have followed the data migration documentation to the letter. I even cleaned up the BCM database prior to copying the files, checking them for errors using the Manage Database option in the Business Tools menu. It gets so far through the migration process and then bombs out. Here is the final few entries from the log file: 28/10/2006 12:18:53------>Transitioning to next screen. From: ConfigurationSummary screen. To: ...

transfer data from multiple columns to singlr column
I have data in form a d g b e h c f i (but larger scale) and I need it in a single column going a to z. Hi, highlight you data, copy, go to the column where you want to see the data, paste special, transpose "lc85" wrote: > I have data in form a d g > b e h > c f i (but larger scale) > and I need it in a single column going a to z. You up for using a macro? Sub ToOneColumn() 'dantuck Mar 7, 2007 &...

update column
How would I update a column with numeric values so that there are 3 leading zeros for each row? hi it is not possible to add leading zeros to a numeric value. Mathematically, this is redundent and unnecessary. "brian" wrote: > How would I update a column with numeric values so that there are 3 leading > zeros for each row? opps. hit the post button too quick. option 1. custom format if your numeric value is 12345 then see the custom format to 00000000. note. format do not change data - it just changes the way it looks in the cell. option2. format to text then use the c...

CFile (delete file)
How can I delete all files that end with ".temp" in some folder? CFile::Remove remove unlink -- cheers, Alok Gupta Blogs: http://wdevs.com/thatsalok "Petar Popara" <my.fake@mail.net> wrote in message news:Op6#URKfFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > > How can I delete all files that end with ".temp" in some folder? > > SHFileOperation() will and it supports wildcards! DeleteFile() will operate on one file at a time. "Petar Popara" <my.fake@mail.net> wrote in message news:Op6%23URKfFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > >...

Wrong message with cascading deletes
A2003: Table Person linked 1 X M to table Activity. The relationship has its Referential Integrity checkbox and the Cascade Delete checkbox both checked. When I delete a person all related Activity records are deleted which is to be expected. According to http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=26115&seqNum=5 I should get the following message in this case: "Relationships that specify cascading deletes are about to cause 1 record(s) in this table and in related tables to be deleted. Are you sure you want to delete these records?" In stead I get: &quo...

Can't open 2005 data file after reinstalling Money 2005
I am experiencing a recurring problem. I have had to reinstall Windows XP and MS Money 2005. I am now unable to open my previously converted 2005 file or restore any backup version. I consistently get the following error message: "Money cannot locate filename or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file, you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write- protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and then Restore your most recent backup file." Any help or thoughts would be greatly ap...

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed
I have form that has bound memo field, sometime, no sure how it happen, the memo filed is filled with #Delete. My application is a stand alone program. Kindly advise what can cause this and how to avoid it from happening. -- TS Lim When was the last time you performed a compact and repair? Is you db split? Does each user have their own copy of the front-end? Please checkout http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruption/symptoms.htm http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/access/HA011865661033.aspx - No very helpful but directly from MS ...

Merging Duplicate Contacts
Is there an option in V3.0 to merge selected accounts/contacts/leads that have been selected as duplicates? yes, from the Contact List or from an Advanced Find for contacts, you can select multiple contacts and click the Merge icon at the top of the list (the merge icon looks like two small pieces of paper becoming one larger piece of paper). When you click it, a merge dialog will appear and help you with the process. Sorry for the weak description of the icon by the way :) Dave "Mandy" <Mandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:32468F52-66E7-4738-9148-5...

Need Help with Deleting Empty Paragraphs in Word 2003
I have written the code below to delete all empty paragraphs at the end of a document and then place the cursor at the end of the last paragraph. It works fine as a stand alone sub in a new doc, but fails inside the real document that contains other code that manipulates several documents. The failure is that it will delete the last empty para, but then gets stuck looping inside the While...Wend because subsequent .Delete are not happening. So, the question is why would this work in one document, but then fail in another? n = 0 ...

Oldest date for Duplicate Cust. #
I'm trying to get the oldest date associated with a customer number, and in the Cust# column, i'll have many duplications of the same customer number. Let's say A is "Date", and B is "Cust#". (I won't be able to allow my users to sort the data, so i'll need a formula that returns either the oldest date, or the cell which contains the oldest date.) Any help is much appreciated! Nevermind. I found it using Google/Groups. {=MIN(IF($B$1:$B$10=B1,$A$1:$A$10))} >-----Original Message----- >I'm trying to get the oldest date associated with a...

Global Column Row Preview Font Size
I know I can change the column, row and preview font size for the current email folder's view, but how do I do it for all of the email folders? I have loads of email addresses each with lots of folders. I don't want to have to do each one at a time. Surely there must be a default font setting (even if it's only in the registry)? Thanks in advance, Tim. I too would love an answer to this. Ian "Timie Milie" <tim_milstead@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:45782ee8$0$27107$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk... >I know I can change the column, row and preview font ...

Summing Alternate Rows
We have spreadsheets with many rows and need to sum alternate rows. Is there a way to do this without entering a formula using the number of each row? -- KarenQ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ KarenQ's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19608 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395115 Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18),2)=1),$A$1:$A$18) That formula sums odd-row values in the range A1:A18. To sum even-row values the formula is: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18...

open two different Access reports
Hi, I was wondering if i can get some help here. I have two different reports that i want to open when a user clicks a button to view the reports for printing. Is there any way of popping them up at the same time in VBA? Thank you in advance Associates wrote: >Hi, > >I was wondering if i can get some help here. I have two different reports >that i want to open when a user clicks a button to view the reports for >printing. Is there any way of popping them up at the same time in VBA? > >Thank you in advance Yes. Call the DoCmd.OpenReport command twic...

Corrupt "Deleted Items" folder
I am unable to empty the "Deleted Items" folder. The error that comes up tells me that the "Outlook.pst" file has errors in it and to use the "Repair Inbox Tool". I've tried using the repair function under the "help" menu...to no avail. I have also tried opening the "Outlook.pst" file in MS Word, but the file is 129 megabytes! It crashes MS Word when I try to open it. Any ideas? Look for scanpst.exe on your local drive and run it against your outlook.pst file >-----Original Message----- >I am unable to empty the "Del...

Copying Data in a cell in one sheet to a cell in another sheet
I've run into a problem trying to copy data from a cell in one sheet to another. I have a spreadsheet called "rating" which contains a number of formula that calculates a final number. I also have a spreadsheet called "Final" that copies over the information from "Rating". In "Final", I'm trying to copy a number from "Rating" into a particular cell. I put in =Rating! G89, but it won't work. When I press enter, a window pops up "Update value:Rating". I press enter again and in the cell where I want the number ...

Duplicate Messages
I have just upgraded from Office 2000 to Office XP. Ever since, i have been receiving duplicate email messages. Every time i do a send/receive, about 80% of my emails arrive twice (exactly the same ID, time, date etc.) I have got some rules running but these are necessary. Any ideas anyone. Thanks ...

Customer check data
When customers pay by check RMS asks for specific information such as drivers license number, routing number, account number, address and phone number. Does anyone have a report and or a way to extract this info from the database for cases when the check is returned for NSF? Please advise, Scott We can write you this report. Contact me for detail on price . Afshin Alikhani - [ afshin@retailrealm.co.uk ] CEO - Retail Realm = = = = = = = = = = "Scott Santorio" <scott@tt-newyork.com> wrote in message news:e8ZKkR6$HHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > When customers pa...

Macro to seperate data
Hi I seem to be struggling to find a macro that will work in previous threads. In sheet 1 is a list of data in columns A:N and the number of rows will vary. It is a list of sales with each sale record ocuppying one row. The salesperson's name is in column C and each salesperson will have multiple entries. What I am trying to do is create a seperate summary sheet in the workbook for each salesperson. Therefore sheets 2 to 20 are templates that already exist with a different salesperson's name entered into cell C3 on each of them. I am trying to find a macro that ...

Need HELP! for Linking data
Could someone please direct me to where I can learn how to link date in a work book. i.e., I have individual pages for each subject but I need the data that is entered in these individual pages to transfer to the Master page without having to manually in put it.........TNX Bubey, There are not too many bits about linking worksheets or workbooks that I can find. But have a look at the links below, in case they give you the information you need. I think it is frustratingly one of those things which is very easy when you know how, or if you can get someone to actually show you, but if you hav...

How do I insert space between 2 consecutive columns of an XL Shee.
I want to have space between two consecutive columns of a worksheet (of course, without having inserted another column between the two) in order to have separated the Border Lines of the adjacent cells/columns. Please guide me if it can be done in XL. Can you achieve the effect that you're looking for by using a double vertical border down the right side of the left column and having no border down the left side of the right column? Rgds, ScottO "Shamshad Butt" <Shamshad Butt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1222EE13-11A9-4354-9F12-D1F1155D3902@microsof...

Creating a Macro to Delete Commas #2
I have an excel file that the size will varry. I need a macro that will check all the fields for a comma. If there is one I would like to get rid of it. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? I have no idea and I have been assigned this task. Help --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ No macro required. ctrl-H for find/replace. find , replace nothing (leave the replace field blank). You can of course record that within a macro if you wish. Drabbacs >-----Original Message----- >I have an excel file that the size will varry. I need a macro that will >check ...

Macro
I need a macro that help me to transfer name and address information from an specific table in excel to a template in words on specific areas and then print the word document. The reason for this is that i need to create diferents letters to be sent to the customers from the excel table. Example of the table is: soc seg, customer name, child name, customer code, add 1 , add2, city, estate, zip code. all this information will be paste on word letter template on specific areas or fields. Any suggestion!!! -- nicoro Hi IMHO the best approach would be to set up a mail merge documen...

macros entering data
How do I create a macro that goes to one cell then waits until I enter new data, then goes to another cell and waits until I enter new data etc? thanks How about something like sub Enter_Data() dim NewValue NewValue = inputbox("Enter the value for cell A1: ") range("a1").value = NewValue NewValue = inputbox("Enter the value for cell G2: ") range("g2").value = NewValue NewValue = inputbox("Enter the value for cell I8: ") range("i8").value = NewValue end sub ...

Cell with large amount of data not showing all data
I'm running Excel 97. I have a cell with 358 words (1928 characters with spaces). Word wrap is on for the cell. Only part of the text is displayed even though the cell is big enough to show everything. If I make the cell wider (wider than a page) more of the text shows but not everything. I tried a new worksheet with the same text and had the same problem. Is this a known issue with excel? Is there a solution? Thanks, Brad Left to its own devices, excel will only show about 1000 characters in a cell. But you can add some alt-enters (to force a new line within the cell) and see more s...