Defining same name for cells in different sheets

Does anyone know the answer to this one?
I want to give the same range name to the same cell
reference in a series of worksheets.
I find I can do this by pre-defining all my range names on
a "master" worksheet and making several copies of the
sheet (try it, it works!)
But let's say I have done this, and entered all my data on
the sheets I have created, and suddenly realize I need
another range name. I haven't found any way to define a
new range name and apply it to the same range on several
sheets.
This is not the same as a 3-D reference, which I tried. (3-
d referencing groups together in one range name cells over
several worksheets.)
What's the trick? I haven't found the answer to this
anywhere?
Thanks in advance!
Parisicaine

Goto Insert>Name Define
In the Names in Workbook, enter
'Sheet1'!myRange
or whichever sheet is appropriate,
in the RefersTo box, ebte
='Sheet1'!$A$1
or the appropriate range.

replicate on each applicable sheet.

--
    HTH

    -------

    Bob Phillips

"Parisicaine" <Parisicaine@nospamever.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know the answer to this one?
> I want to give the same range name to the same cell
> reference in a series of worksheets.
> I find I can do this by pre-defining all my range names on
> a "master" worksheet and making several copies of the
> sheet (try it, it works!)
> But let's say I have done this, and entered all my data on
> the sheets I have created, and suddenly realize I need
> another range name. I haven't found any way to define a
> new range name and apply it to the same range on several
> sheets.
> This is not the same as a 3-D reference, which I tried. (3-
> d referencing groups together in one range name cells over
> several worksheets.)
> What's the trick? I haven't found the answer to this
> anywhere?
> Thanks in advance!
> Parisicaine

0
bob.phillips (411)
8/22/2003 3:18:43 PM
Thanks for your quick answers.
I'll try them out.
Best regards,
Parisicaine

refer to
>cell A1 on whichever sheet is active.  This is not 3D.
>
>Gord Dibben  Excel MVP XL2002
>

>On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 07:14:42 -0700, "Parisicaine"
<Parisicaine@nospamever.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know the answer to this one?
>>I want to give the same range name to the same cell
>>reference in a series of worksheets.
>>I find I can do this by pre-defining all my range names
on
>>a "master" worksheet and making several copies of the
>>sheet (try it, it works!)
>>But let's say I have done this, and entered all my data
on
>>the sheets I have created, and suddenly realize I need
>>another range name. I haven't found any way to define a
>>new range name and apply it to the same range on several
>>sheets.
>>This is not the same as a 3-D reference, which I tried.
(3-
>>d referencing groups together in one range name cells
over
>>several worksheets.)
>>What's the trick? I haven't found the answer to this
>>anywhere?
>>Thanks in advance!
>>Parisicaine
>
>.

Strange difference between IE & Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc
Using FP2003 when I add a new page to an existing site (which uses shared borders by default), any text that is entered on the new page shows properly on IE8, but does not appear at all on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc. If I change the formatting and deactivate the shared border for that page, the text appears just fine on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc. The existing pages on the site (using shared borders) display just fine on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc. What could be responsible for this strange behaviour and how can it be fixed? Cannot answer the question without seein...

Migration, mailbox now mapped to a different user account
I recently migrated from an old Exchange 2000 server to a new Exchange 2003 server. All Pub folders, etc. have replicated successfully and all mailboxes were moved successfully. However, I have a single user that is now have the following problem...whenhe sends an email, it is showing up as "a_different_user" on behalf of this user. When you reply to an email from him, he does not receive the reply as it goes to the other user. Disabling "the_different_user" stops him from sending/receiving mail altogether. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Check his Out...

Money 2002
Can missing Form 140 Schedule C line names be added? If so, how? ...

Cell comments
I have added cell comments to my worksheet, but they have always bee static, meaning if you put your cursor on that cell it always display the same text. Is there a way to create some sort of comment tha would change depending on the information in the cell? When the curso passes over the cell, the code would go pull in data from a MS Acces table using the value in that cell as criteria -- LA ----------------------------------------------------------------------- LAF's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=965 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.co...

deleting names
Is there a way to delete a person name/e-mail address from the to: bar? When i start to put a persons name in the to: box there are different names that i don't want anymore. where or how can i get rid of them. i am using Outlook 2003 You're talking about the auto-fill? Simply scroll to the entry you don't wish to have anymore and delete it. You can either right-click on the entry and choose delete or scroll to the entry and press the delete key on your keyboard. "cleaners" <cleaners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0718EB4B-B027-40...

And we'll tell the difference how?
"Although no specific plans have been made, executives within Microsoft are examining whether it makes sense to release ad-supported versions of products such as Works, Money, or even the Windows operating system itself, according to internal documents seen by CNET News.com." http://news.com.com/Microsoft+eyes+making+desktop+apps+free/2100-1014_3-5951569.html?part=rss&tag=5951569&subj=news ...

eliminating blank cells
I have two sheets in a workbook. Say sheet January and Summary. Sheet January looks like this DATE SN Amount TAX OVD CBS 12.01.2007 483 3464 1559 701 1184 13.01.2007 484 3907 1758 791 -627 14.01.2007 485 241 108 49 -75 17.01.2007 9/A12 1623 730 329 104 19.01.2007 11/A2 329 839 292 88 Now I want to gather these information in sheet "Summary" eliminating the blank rows, so Summary looks like this: DATE SN Amount TAX OVD CBS 12.01.2007 483 3464 1559 701 1184 13.01.2007 484 3907 1758 791 -627 14.01.2007 485 241 108 49 -75 17.01.2007 9/A12 1623 730 329 10...

Display different outgoing mail domain
We have purchased a domain name that we would like to use for our email. ie we use Stargate as a mail provider, but we want our outgoing mail to show person@companydomain.com instead of person@stargate.net. You could do this in previous versions of Outlook (tell it how to display outgoing email address), but I can't figure out how to do this in 2002 Outlook. Does anyone know if this can be done? ...

I want a formula to ignore text values in cell references
If text is input into some cells referenced by a formula I want the formula to ignore whatever text it finds and just calculate the result of the numbers in cells. How do i do this? Presently the formula displays #VALUE! where there is text in one or more of the cells referenced. Use ISNUMBER(): In place of A1 use =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),A1,"") -- Gary''s Student "Russellrupert" wrote: > If text is input into some cells referenced by a formula I want the formula > to ignore whatever text it finds and just calculate the result of the numbers > in cells...

embed x.s sheet to HTmL page
Hi, I have a file called Bonds.xls located on my C drive in a flode called Support. I want to insert this file to a HTML pae. I trie embed, object and everything I could find but i cant get it to insert I am using office and OS wkin200. Can anybody give me some help? I dont know if I am using tags wrong o just wrong tags. thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have you tried saving the worksheet in html format? You can incorporate this html code into the web page. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ ...

Bubble Charts
Does anyone know if the bubble chart default shape of circle can be modified to other shapes (i.e. triangle, square)? The flexibility to present different shapes could be useful when presenting two series on the same chart. For example, one series could be the default circle, another a triangle. I have seen this capability in other applications with advanced charting capabilities. I am using Excel 2003. Regards, Joel Hi, Yes you can change the shape. To do so you need to use a custom marker. Create a shape using the autoshapes menu. Format the shape in terms of colour and border. Copy...

Official name of the File Selection Part of CFileDialog
I want to know the official name of the file selection portion of the CFileDialog. I also want to know how this is implemented, is there a special kind of ListBox that can do multiple columns? "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote in message news:Kw%3h.10768$IC.9812@newsfe21.lga... >I want to know the official name of the file selection portion of the >CFileDialog. I also want to know how this is implemented, is there a >special kind of ListBox that can do multiple columns? List-View http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/list...

in Excel: How do I change "selected cells" highlight color?
When I select cells in Excel the shading is so light (blue) that I can barely tell which cells are selected from those that are not. Can I change the background color of cells that are selected? Thanks. Assuming Excel 2007 this is a known problem and as yet no patch for it. I don't have Excel 2007 but I have read that playing with your Contrast can help some. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:51:00 -0700, flameretired <flameretired@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I select cells in Excel the shading is so light (blue) that I can barely >tell whic...

How to make A1 the active cell in all visible worksheets ?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0028_01CA8164.76257740 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable ......so that when i activate the sheet A1 is the cell in the upper left = corner of my screen. Thanx ------=_NextPart_000_0028_01CA8164.76257740 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META content=3D"text/html; ...

Conditional Formatting dependent on whether cell is populated.
I want to conditionally format cell G2 dependent upon whether there is a value in cell C2 AND G2 Therefore, if cell C2 has a value in it and cell G2 doesn't then cell G2 color = Amber if cell C2 has a value in it and cell G2 has a value then cell G2 color = Green Any helpful hints or useful suggestions? Thanks Tel Conditional Format of G2, condition 1: =AND(COUNTA(C2)=1,ISBLANK(G2)) format Amber condition 2: =COUNTA(C2,G2)=2 format Green -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Tel" wrote: &...

connecting cells with connector lines
Hello! Is it possible in Excel (2007) to draw a connector line (with or without an arrow ...) between two cells in a worksheet, so that the line-tips will follow their cells even when the latter are moved ? Thanks Michael On Feb 25, 7:00=A0am, Michaelprem123 <michaelprem...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello! > > Is it possible in Excel (2007) to draw a connector line (with or > without an arrow ...) between two cells in a worksheet, so that the > line-tips will follow their cells even when the latter are moved ? > > Thanks > > Michael The line will automatically a...

Summing items in a cell
How do you SUM items in a cell. I have a parts list with reference designators like U3-U6. I want the sum of the range of items, in this case it's 4, but can't figure out how to do this. Any help will be appreciated -- dpmoore ------------------------------------------------------------------------ dpmoore's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24920 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384566 More info and then a formula using find can be used or a udf (macro for custom formula) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Soft...

2 different fonts in the same cell?
Hello! If I want (Times New Roman) "This is a red Wingdings 3 triangle ([change font] Wingdings 3: 123 [back to Times New Roman]").", I can do that in a cell. But if I refer to that cell (=A1) in B1, the Wingdings font doesn't come over and it winds up all TImes New Roman and looks like "This a red Wingdings 3 triangle ({)." How can I "=A1" for a cell that has two fonts in it and have the two fonts show up?? Thanks! VR/ Lost You can't have that in a FORMULA. You would have to change it to text first. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel Sales...

How to tell Excel to insert cells and shift down from Access
Hi all, I have Access 2003. I am trying to tell Excel to insert cells and shift cells down from Access, with this line of code: oWksh.Cells.Insert Shift:=xlDown But Access does not like that line. It gave me run-time error 1004. I know if has to do with the part Shift:=xlDown Can you suggestion what I can do? Thank you in advance, Ben "Ben" <Ben@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:eSZuzcDpKHA.1892@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I have Access 2003. I am trying to tell Excel to insert cells and shift > cells down from Access,...

EXCEL Cell Formatting: Custom or Conditional
At work I have Excel 2002 and I have some cells that I import data in from the mainframe. I have a table where there is a column for GENDER (MALE or FEMALE) that I would like to see shown as "Male" or "Female" (mixed case). Is there a way to change all upper case to mixed case using either CUSTOM formatting or CONDITIONAL formatting? I would prefer not using a macro if there is something simpler. I know that =PROPER() produces the correct result, but I don't see how I can use this unless I'm referencing another cell. I would like to be able to just change what fa...

CFtpFileFind::FindNextFile() can't get the correct file name.
Once I want to get file from HP-UX by FTP. I use MFC CFtpFileFind to find the files under a specified directory in HP-UX, but the return value of CFtpFileFind::GetFileName () is not the correct file name, it includes time (sometimes and date) ahead, such as: 19:30 Mydemofile001.txt 19:35 Mydemofile002.txt but the real file name existed are only Mydemofile001.txt and Mydemofile002.txt. Is there any problem in the low level encapsulated by MFC for FTP list files? Could anyone give me some advice? Thank you. ...

Different timezones in Calendars?
Hello, I wonder whether it is possible to define Calendars using different timezones in Exchange public folders? /Regards Anders On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 14:54:23 +0200, "Anders Biro" <anders.biro@remove.ascade.se> wrote: >Hello, I wonder whether it is possible to define Calendars using different >timezones in Exchange public folders? > > /Regards Anders > If you right cli...

how can I change the a,b,c, column headers in excel to names
I've tried and can't figure out how to change the column header from a,b,c, etc. to names for each column. Any tips are appreciated You can only show A,B,C...,IV or numbers: 1,2,3,...,256 But you could put your names in Row 1 and then select A1, then select A2 and click on Window|Freeze panes. espray wrote: > > I've tried and can't figure out how to change the column header from a,b,c, > etc. to names for each column. Any tips are appreciated -- Dave Peterson ...

Can't copy comments between spread sheet
I can't copy the cell comments from one sheet to another. All other formating gets copied. Try copy then paste special and select comment! Cheers John "Plan Schedule" <planschedule@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4b4f01c4801d$c40befa0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I can't copy the cell comments from one sheet to > another. All other formating gets copied. ...

Show linked cell alone somwhere on the desktop
I have DDE linked data in excell. After the all calculations I have result which is one cell. I need to see this "live" cell somwhere on the screen all the time (Excell can be open in background) and I want to see this number only or as less frame as possible - what is my options? Simply when I'm working with other software there is no way to squeeze in all Excell even if I have multiple monitors (: Thks. It's still me - Simplifying my question. Is there any way to bring Excel spreadsheet out of main Excel frame - in Office 2007? "GPS" wrote: > I have D...