Default Style

G'day All

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the
following problem.

I would like to have a customised default style for
the 'comma', 'percentage', and 'currency' for every
workbook (new and existing).

I have created the styles I'm after under the 'Format-
Styles' menu. Also, I have looked up the "Save Styles to
use in new workbooks" in the HELP function and did
everything it said. However, when I open up a new
workbook, my styles are not there. What is there are the
original style settings with each style duplicated.
Eg 'Comma, Comma[0]'.

I realise that in the HELP menu for "Save Styles to use
in new workbooks" it only refers to styles 'will be
available in all new workbooks that you subsequently
create', but I would like it so that my customised styles
are automatically set when I go into my old workbooks.

MS Excel ver 2002
Win XP Pro

Thanks for any help

{Side issue - do you think it would be possible to take
Microsoft to court and sue them under the Trade Practices
Act for providing a product(s) that are not
of "merchantable quality"? - in non-legal terms,
Merchantable Quality is defined as something that is fit
for the purpose being used}
0
anonymous (74722)

Rory

About the best you can do with old workbooks is copy the styles from the new
workbook.

From Help on merging styles..................

Copy styles from another workbook
Open the workbook that contains the styles you want to copy.
Open the workbook you want to copy the styles to, and then click Style on the
Format menu.
Click Merge.
In the Merge styles box, double-click the workbook that contains the styles
you want to copy.
Note   If the two workbooks contain styles with the same names, you must
confirm that you want to merge these styles. To replace the styles in the
active workbook with the copied styles, click Yes. To keep the styles in the
active workbook, click No. This warning occurs only once, regardless of the
number of conflicting style names.

On the second matter, why not?  We are a litigious society and if you have the
bucks, fill your boots.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 20:44:59 -0800, "Rory"

>G'day All
>
>I was wondering if anyone could help me with the
>following problem.
>
>I would like to have a customised default style for
>the 'comma', 'percentage', and 'currency' for every
>workbook (new and existing).
>
>I have created the styles I'm after under the 'Format-
>Styles' menu. Also, I have looked up the "Save Styles to
>use in new workbooks" in the HELP function and did
>everything it said. However, when I open up a new
>workbook, my styles are not there. What is there are the
>original style settings with each style duplicated.
>Eg 'Comma, Comma[0]'.
>
>I realise that in the HELP menu for "Save Styles to use
>in new workbooks" it only refers to styles 'will be
>available in all new workbooks that you subsequently
>create', but I would like it so that my customised styles
>are automatically set when I go into my old workbooks.
>
>MS Excel ver 2002
>Win XP Pro
>
>Thanks for any help
>
>{Side issue - do you think it would be possible to take
>Microsoft to court and sue them under the Trade Practices
>Act for providing a product(s) that are not
>of "merchantable quality"? - in non-legal terms,
>Merchantable Quality is defined as something that is fit
>for the purpose being used}

0
Gord
2/10/2004 5:36:33 AM
Thanks Gord

That is what I did do (you just repeated what was in the
HELP menu) and it didn't work. Any other suggestions?

0
anonymous (74722)
2/10/2004 6:59:40 AM
Rory

All I can do is state "it works for me" and repeat what is in the Help file
for Excel 2002.

After merging, some styles are not automatically applied.

Only the "Normal" style is automatically rendered on the old workbook sheets.

To format the old workbook with the merged comma, percentage and currency you
must select the cells and Format>Style then select the merged style.

What do you mean by "it didn't work"?

Gord

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 22:59:40 -0800, "Rory"

>Thanks Gord
>
>That is what I did do (you just repeated what was in the
>HELP menu) and it didn't work. Any other suggestions?

0
Gord
2/10/2004 6:09:01 PM
I read the help for xl2002 and it said to save the book.xlt to your templates
folder.

I've always saved this special template workbook (and sheet.xlt) into my XLStart
folder.

Clicking on the New icon should have a new workbook based on that book.xlt file.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

What I mean when I say "it didn't work for me" is that
after I've done all changing, removing of old styles,
saving etc, I exit Excel then re-enter the program. (if
every thing has been done correctly I would assume that
the changes I've made are reflected in the default
workbook that opens up with the program). I then try the
format buttons of "Comma", "Currency" and "Percentage"
and find that the old format is still being used. I look
into the 'Format - Style' menu and find the old styles
still there and none of my created styles.

In relation to the use of my styles in old workbooks - I
suspected that I would have to manually merge them, but I
was hoping there might have been a quick / automatic way
this could have occurred.

Thanks

0
anonymous (74722)

BP error when trying to hide a default webpart
When we try to hide the customer list web part on the sales page we get the following error: Can not change Web Part Title due to a save error on the folder. /DataViewer/Customer List-Customer List We have not customized the list at all but we have added a new webpart to limit the customer list by the sales id of the salesperson logged in following Microsoft's recommendation as the way to limit it on the Portal was to create new data permissions and queries and then to add them as web parts and remove or hide the default ones. We do not want to delete the default ones until we are ...

Who could tell me the style of CListView?
Hello all: I create a single document and the class view is derived from CListView using AppWizard,and then I read some codes written by others,I find they in the function CXXXListView::PreCreateWindow(CREATESTRUCT& cs) { cs.style&=~LVS_TYPEMASK; cs.style|=LVS_REPORT|LVS_OWNERDATA; } I don't know what the CListView's style,who could tell me in detail. Thank you very much. read the documentation:- http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/html/_core_changing_list_control_styles.asp -- Vipin Aravind "Lee Tow" <fbjlt@pub3.fz....

Styles is going rogue

Add Default Text to Forwarded Messages?
Hi All, I'm wondering if I can configure an Outlook profile such that it will automatically add text as the first line in the body when forwarding messages. I review messages that are delivered to the Exchange Admin account by our spam filtering software and occasionally have to forward false positives. From time to time, recipients of the forwarded messages Reply, unaware that they are replying to the Exchange Admin as opposed to the original sender. Adding the text might help to eliminate this issue. I'm using Outlook 2K and Exchange Server 2003. Thanks & Ciao, Tony ...

Currency Style button
When I click the Currency Style button on the Formatting toolbar my data is formatted as Accounting. Wouldn't it logically be formatted as Currency? I'm assuming that the Currency Style button actually refers to the type of currency (English dollar, British pound, etc.) rather than the type of formatting applied. However, doesn't the use of "Currency Style" on the button name imply that it will apply the Currency style formatting? Any thoughts on this? -- Anita It is what Redmond decides it is!?!?<g> However, you can change it to suit your own preferences. ...

print list of all styles in document
I want to view/print a single list showing ALL of the styles being used in a Publisher document, so I can see the font names, sizes and other characteristics in order to help keep a consistent look and feel in the document. I can look at only one at a time and would have to either print the screen image or write it down to get the full list; one way wastes a lot of paper/toner, the other seems terribly inefficient. Is there an easy way? ...

Preserving new custom styles
Hello everyone, I have a serious problem with microsoft excel. I recently created a new custom style in excel. For this, i went to format > Style > (add new style name & properties & press Add button). This was for a new currency style and this "new Style" had appeared whenever i selected a cell and selected the "format cell" menu. Now, the problem is that I had closed this application and when I opened a new microsoft excel application, this style was missing. I had to go through the whole process of creation. From this, I understood that Excel doesnot ...

How set default vCard viewer?
This could be a WindowsXP-pro question or Outlook2002 question, unsure. A small window popped up entitled "Address Book" and the message was "Address Book is currently not your default vCard viewer. Would you like to make it your default vCard viewer? [Yes] [No] How do you (manually) get to the place in WindowsXP-pro or somewhere else like in Outlook where you specify the default vCard viewer, I can't find anywhere. Also, is vCard viewer related to a .vcf file? Thanks Do you have a Palm Pilot? If you have installed some Palm Software, at times it will make itself the...

Default viewer for picture attachments
Hey there, before i installed Macromedia Fireworks, i was able to view picture attachments in Microsoft Picture Viewer, but now they all open in Fireworks - which is quite annoying. How can i change this back to the way it was? I cant find a single answer anywhere. Cheers. Windows Explorer->Tools->Folder Options->File types. Set your preferred program from there. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading...

Default Date set to Chinese Character
Hi All, I need help here. I am running Windows 2000 Pro with Office 2000 SR-1. Whenever I key in date, Excel will automatically convert it to Chinese date format. I have set the default language to English International and the result still the same. So I checked the location (region) and it was set to Taiwan. So I changed it to US English and restarted the computer. The result is still the same, doesn't solve the problem. Is there any settings that I missed? Please help. Thank you. Regards, ngancs ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www....

CListView and xp style in vs 2003
**** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com **** I have added XP styles to my MFC application by adding a manifest file to my project. Everything seems ok, apart from the fact that when i click on an icon in CListView (which has report style) the icon disapears! The icon is displayed ok when not in XP style. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks Andy -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! *** http://www.usenet.com Unlimited Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 9...

How to make the default view the Web Layout in Outlook 2002 Message Reply window?
Hello How to make the default view the Web Layout in Outlook 2002 Message Reply window? The Word is used as the e-mail editor. ...

Default Public Folder Calendar View
Is there a way on the server side to set the default view and/or font size for a calendar stored in the Public Folders, such that a particular view (i.e. weekly) and/or font is what displays be default for each user that accesses the calendar? TIA. Yes - create a custom view in Outlook (copy one you like, name it what you wish, specify that it's to be used for this folder, not all folders) - then in the PF properties you can specify "initial view on folder" to be the one you created. Sara Windsor wrote: > Is there a way on the server side to set the default view and/or font...

CToolBarCtrl incorrectly resizes after assigning extended style TBSTYLE_EX_DRAWDDARROWS
Hi NG, corresponding to the help in the MSDN "Using Drop-Down Buttons in a Toolbar Control" I've modified my CToolBarCtrl object. The modification results in that, that the toolbar next to it overlaps. Any workarounds out there? Example: .... m_wndToolBar.GetToolBarCtrl ().SetExtendedStyle (TBSTYLE_EX_DRAWDDARROWS); TBBUTTONINFO tbbi; tbbi.dwMask = TBIF_STYLE; tbbi.cbSize = sizeof (TBBUTTONINFO); m_wndToolBar.GetToolBarCtrl ().GetButtonInfo (ID_FILE_NEW, &tbbi); tbbi.isStyle |= TBSTYLE_DROPDOWN; m_wndToolBar.GetToolBarCtrl ().SetButtonInfo (ID_FILE_NEW, &tbbi); ...

default parameter not updating on server
I have a report with a bool parameter that formerly was set to false. The client wanted it changed to true. I made the change, previewed it, built & deployed. On the server the default is still set to false. The other changes I made are visible on the server but not the default change. What is causing this and possible solutions. many thanks in advance, Kevin Vogler On 4 Dec, 15:22, "Kevin Vogler" <kvog...@turnkeytec.com> wrote: > I have a report with a bool parameter that formerly was set to false. The > client wanted it changed to true. I made ...

styles #2
Please, Any links to tutorials about styles. ...

2.0
One annoying problem in 1.3 was having to print a workorder to reset the default printer after viewing a transaction from POS lane with different printer. I thought 2.0 was supposed to fix this problem? ...

How to permanently eliminate shadow as default for chart lines?
I find the shadow that appears in my line charts distracting, confusing, and graphically messy. It also is not welcome in publications. I have to individually eliminate it from every line, which is annoying. Is there a way to make a default chart option so that I will no longer get this shadow? Yes, you can save your chart as a user-defined chart. To do so, create the chart without shadows and fomatted as per your specifications. Once the chart looks like you want it to, click on the outside border of the chart once (make the chart active). Go to the Standard Toolbar and choose Char...

Change Default color of a workbook
Its gray in color,how do I change it -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I am fairly sure that grey is the default color. you can change the color. Select the entire sheet. on the menu bar format>edit Cells click the border tab. in the lower left corner click the down arrow on the color combo box. select the color you wish. the in the border box select all lines. click ok. this is a custom change on your part. you would have to do this for each file you have. >-----Original Message----- >Its gray in color,how do I change it? > > >--- >Message posted fro...

How do I get a list to default to the first item?
I have a list that has 10 items and 40 blanks for future use. I give the list a name then I use the Data Validation to call the list from within another cell. The problem is when I click the dropdown for the list it set the list to the first blank instead of setting it to the first item. The scroll bar ends up in the middle and I need it to be located at the top. Hi AFAIK you can't change this behaviour -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "QTP Professional" <QTP Professional@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:E66772CF-B16D-4F38-A792-1DFD5...

Date column defaults
Outlook's default date column is 'Best Fit'. I'm not sure quite what this means, but I prefer the more compact dd/mm/yyyy (UK). Is there any way to change this globally or do I have to laboriously change each instance? Can I change the default for new columns? -- Jonathan Finney Jonathan Finney <plegron@hotmail.com> wrote: > Outlook's default date column is 'Best Fit'. I'm not sure quite what > this means, but I prefer the more compact dd/mm/yyyy (UK). It means that Outlook decides the width of the field. The date format display in the f...

Share Default Gateway
Hi All, Would it be possible to have two networks running both with SBS 2008 boxes (192.168.55.X & 192.168.54.X), both in the same office sharing the same default gateway, but connected via a VPN? I just need to know if this is possible :) Many Thanks This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0027_01CAC1C5.EA5111A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable The subnet mask you'd have to use would wind up allowing each = environment to see each other's DHCP server and thi...

text styles
how to remove latin and asian styles? SIU <SIU@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > how to remove latin and asian styles? Latin fonts are a core component of Windows, as they are required for displaying English text. East Asian styles can be uninstalled through the Regional Settings area of the Control Panel in Windows. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

insert picture default file path
Hi! I would like to change the default file path for the isert picture button to go to our picture library on share point. Is this possible? Is it a registry setting or do I need to do it with vba and in that case do someone have an example of that? Thanks Lina See if this helps: http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00167.htm -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html "Lina" wrote: > Hi! > I would like to change the default file path for the isert picture button...

how to synchronize Contact folder outside default mailbox
Hi all, I have several entries (Calendar, contactcs, etc.) outside my default mailbox, under a new folder thta I have called "Other Contacts". The problem I'm having is that I cannot find a way of synchronizinf that information to the Contact forlder in my Pocket PC. By default, the synchronization process reads the infor. to symc. from my Contact folder, but this time I want it to read it from the Contact folder in "Other Contacts". Any ideas how I can accomplich this? Probably better to post in microsoft.public.pocketpc as this isn't an Outlook question per se....