decimal value leading zero's

Hi Group 

How do I get excel to stop adding a leading zero to a 
value like .567? I hate looking at 0.567!!! It just ruins 
the visual effect!!!

These are calculated values formatted to 3 decimal places. 
I have a stupid work around in which I use a helper cell 
with the formula =TEXT(A1,".000"). I also tried things 
like =LEFT(A1,4) but this doesn't work if the calculated 
value is say 0.600 and the the added zero's are from 
formatting. This will return .6 .

Isn't there a custom number format that could be used thus 
eliminating any work around? I've searched the archives 
but have not found a solution.

Thanks for any help or advice
Bob P.
0
sports (1)
12/8/2003 7:23:37 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

5 Replies
322 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 35

You can try goto cell format and type (under Type) in something like:
#.#####

problem is that puts a "." after whole numbers, like 1 would be 1.

"Bob" <sports@kdka.com> wrote in message
news:f57401c3bdc0$c7ad26d0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi Group
>
> How do I get excel to stop adding a leading zero to a
> value like .567? I hate looking at 0.567!!! It just ruins
> the visual effect!!!
>
> These are calculated values formatted to 3 decimal places.
> I have a stupid work around in which I use a helper cell
> with the formula =TEXT(A1,".000"). I also tried things
> like =LEFT(A1,4) but this doesn't work if the calculated
> value is say 0.600 and the the added zero's are from
> formatting. This will return .6 .
>
> Isn't there a custom number format that could be used thus
> eliminating any work around? I've searched the archives
> but have not found a solution.
>
> Thanks for any help or advice
> Bob P.


0
daverx (100)
12/8/2003 7:34:31 PM
Try custom format and

..000

depending on how many decimals you want to show change the number of zeros
after the period
if you have .0  then 0.123 will show as .1 Note also that with integers you
will get trailing zeros

-- 

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom


"Bob" <sports@kdka.com> wrote in message
news:f57401c3bdc0$c7ad26d0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi Group
>
> How do I get excel to stop adding a leading zero to a
> value like .567? I hate looking at 0.567!!! It just ruins
> the visual effect!!!
>
> These are calculated values formatted to 3 decimal places.
> I have a stupid work around in which I use a helper cell
> with the formula =TEXT(A1,".000"). I also tried things
> like =LEFT(A1,4) but this doesn't work if the calculated
> value is say 0.600 and the the added zero's are from
> formatting. This will return .6 .
>
> Isn't there a custom number format that could be used thus
> eliminating any work around? I've searched the archives
> but have not found a solution.
>
> Thanks for any help or advice
> Bob P.


0
terre08 (1112)
12/8/2003 7:41:28 PM
Dave, thanks for jogging my brain. I came up with a custom 
format of ".000". This works just fine!

Bob P.
>-----Original Message-----
>You can try goto cell format and type (under Type) in 
something like:
>#.#####
>
>problem is that puts a "." after whole numbers, like 1 
would be 1.
>
>"Bob" <sports@kdka.com> wrote in message
>news:f57401c3bdc0$c7ad26d0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>> Hi Group
>>
>> How do I get excel to stop adding a leading zero to a
>> value like .567? I hate looking at 0.567!!! It just 
ruins
>> the visual effect!!!
>>
>> These are calculated values formatted to 3 decimal 
places.
>> I have a stupid work around in which I use a helper cell
>> with the formula =TEXT(A1,".000"). I also tried things
>> like =LEFT(A1,4) but this doesn't work if the calculated
>> value is say 0.600 and the the added zero's are from
>> formatting. This will return .6 .
>>
>> Isn't there a custom number format that could be used 
thus
>> eliminating any work around? I've searched the archives
>> but have not found a solution.
>>
>> Thanks for any help or advice
>> Bob P.
>
>
>.
>
0
anonymous (74722)
12/8/2003 8:00:06 PM
Thanks Peo. Daves suggestion "kicked" my brain into gear 
and I did arrive at the format you suggest. Works just 
fine!

Bob P.
>-----Original Message-----
>Try custom format and
>
>..000
>
>depending on how many decimals you want to show change 
the number of zeros
>after the period
>if you have .0  then 0.123 will show as .1 Note also that 
with integers you
>will get trailing zeros
>
>-- 
>
>Regards,
>
>Peo Sjoblom
>
>
>"Bob" <sports@kdka.com> wrote in message
>news:f57401c3bdc0$c7ad26d0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>> Hi Group
>>
>> How do I get excel to stop adding a leading zero to a
>> value like .567? I hate looking at 0.567!!! It just 
ruins
>> the visual effect!!!
>>
>> These are calculated values formatted to 3 decimal 
places.
>> I have a stupid work around in which I use a helper cell
>> with the formula =TEXT(A1,".000"). I also tried things
>> like =LEFT(A1,4) but this doesn't work if the calculated
>> value is say 0.600 and the the added zero's are from
>> formatting. This will return .6 .
>>
>> Isn't there a custom number format that could be used 
thus
>> eliminating any work around? I've searched the archives
>> but have not found a solution.
>>
>> Thanks for any help or advice
>> Bob P.
>
>
>.
>
0
anonymous (74722)
12/8/2003 8:02:20 PM
Glad to be of assistance! I've never used a custom format before, thought
I'd give it a shot!


"Bob P." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:023001c3bdc5$e02676d0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Dave, thanks for jogging my brain. I came up with a custom
> format of ".000". This works just fine!
>
> Bob P.
> >-----Original Message-----
> >You can try goto cell format and type (under Type) in
> something like:
> >#.#####
> >
> >problem is that puts a "." after whole numbers, like 1
> would be 1.
> >
> >"Bob" <sports@kdka.com> wrote in message
> >news:f57401c3bdc0$c7ad26d0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> >> Hi Group
> >>
> >> How do I get excel to stop adding a leading zero to a
> >> value like .567? I hate looking at 0.567!!! It just
> ruins
> >> the visual effect!!!
> >>
> >> These are calculated values formatted to 3 decimal
> places.
> >> I have a stupid work around in which I use a helper cell
> >> with the formula =TEXT(A1,".000"). I also tried things
> >> like =LEFT(A1,4) but this doesn't work if the calculated
> >> value is say 0.600 and the the added zero's are from
> >> formatting. This will return .6 .
> >>
> >> Isn't there a custom number format that could be used
> thus
> >> eliminating any work around? I've searched the archives
> >> but have not found a solution.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help or advice
> >> Bob P.
> >
> >
> >.
> >


0
daverx (100)
12/8/2003 8:11:26 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

javascript + onchange + delete value from lookup
Hello, I would like to know if it is possible to delete a value in a lookup through javascript. Following scenario: On the contact form I have a picklist with several values and a lookupfield for the accounts. Now I want, when a certain value is selected in that picklist, that the value in the lookup of the account is deleted. Is this possilbe to do with javascript in an onchange event? thank you in advance. In the onchange event, when your picklistvalue is selected, simply put the following line of code : crmForm.all.parentcustomerid.DataValue = null; This will delete the value f...

Changing Save As... Filename Prompt Default to CELL value
I have a spreadsheet that contains a value which I would like to turn into the Filename Prompt in the Save As... Dialog box. How do you do this? Like in a macro??? Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show _ arg1:=ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("sheet1").Range("a1").Value & ".xls" Andy wrote: > > I have a spreadsheet that contains a value which I would like to turn into the Filename Prompt in the Save As... Dialog box. > > How do you do this? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com Thanks for the reply. I tried creating a Macro like... Sub File...

VAT
Can someone help me out with handling VAT? This is the situation, we have a vendor in Europe but the billing address is to a US address. In this case the goods never leaves Europe. We are charge VAT how do we handle that in Great Plains. This is our first time for a situation like this. Thanks in advance, We have a European entity that calculates VAT. They have the VAT module (I don't know if it is an add-on or if it comes standard). In order to get the VAT to work right, we had to make sure the shipping methods and payment terms were entered correctly. VAT should not use the...

Fixed Asset: Book value in cents
How can I stop depreciation of a Fixed Asset whose net book value is one dollar or less than one dollar. Help will be appreciated. Well... you have to change the depreciation method manually to No Depreciation. Then don't reset year or life.. just recalculate. "Tomal" wrote: > How can I stop depreciation of a Fixed Asset whose net book value is one > dollar or less than one dollar. > > Help will be appreciated. ...

Changing row colors when value in cell changes
Is there a way to change the color of rows when the value in a cell in that row changes? For example: A B C 1 tom jones 435 <- this row would be yellow 2 sam doe 435 <- yellow 3 dan smith 657 <- green 4 ed ham 544 <- blue 5 dom less 544 <- blue 6 joe more 888 <- red etc. There must be some conditional formatting thing I can do... Please help. Thanks! -- silky_green ------------------------------------------------------------------------ silky_green's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/...

Subscription Issue
I"m fairly new to reporting services. I created a fairly simple report recently, which runs fine. Today I tried to create a subscription to it. Using the web interface, I see an error message like the following when I click "New Subscrtiption": DEV: Acme Business Intelligence Error Value cannot be null. Parameter name: key And when I try to create the subscription through Management Studio, I see this once I click on the "Parameters" option in the "New Report Subscription" dialog box: TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio -------...

Group Footer
This is probably really easy but I'm having brain freeze. I have the following information: Title, 4", 8", Class STD1 1 1 STD STD2 2 2 STD JWW1 3 3 JWW JWW2 2 2 JWW I need a report that shows Title 4" 8" STD1 1 1 STD2 2 2 STD Total 3 3 JWW1 3 3 JWW2 2 2 JWW Total 5 5 Total 8 8 I can't for the life of me figure out how to print STD Total or JWW Total. I've set up a group footer on class but it prints between each class. ...

Sum of different value in different worksheet & cell number
I have multiple worksheet with different location of values(cell number in different row) to sum up, but with one reference. Example; I need to sum up the number of apples in one workbook: 1. worksheet (1) where it says 25 apples in row 100, column AJ 2. worksheet (2) where it says 100 apples in row 200, column AJ 3. worksheet (3) where it says 200 apples in row 300, column AJ In one worksheet, there is a table of many fruits Banana, Pineapple, strawberry, etc. that has also values at different rows. The table is generated by our computer where it comes randomly as entered by ...

count one column based on value in adjacent column
Does anyone know how to count the number of cells in one column based on a value in a second column? Example: Column 1 Column 2 Car Green Car Car Green Boat Green Train Green The empty cell was intentional. I would like to count the number of "Green" in Column 2 only if it coincides with "Car" in Column 1, so the result would = 2. I tried using Dcount but I couldn't get it to work. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide. One way In say, C1: =sumproduct((a1:a100="Car")*(b...

Re: What is an efficient way to determine if a value is in an array?
Right now I have a list of 300 items, and I want to see if they belon to one of three sets of values. I keep the 300 items in column A o page 1, and on pages 2, 3, and 4 I have the other three lists of value in columns A respectively. Right now I am using a VLOOKUP on each of the three sheets, and if i exists I return the value in the adjacent column, which is always "1". I run this vlookup for each page, and put the return value in th three adjacent columns next to my original value. This works, but the problem is that it returns the dreaded #N/A if i doesnt exist in the page. ...

Zero in front of number
Hello My problem is, I've been given a spreadsheet where one of the columns is Mobile numbers and the person who filled it in I guess didn't know that you can format the column to 'text ' to keep the Zero in front of the number, so he put a # in front of each number in order to keep the first 0. I now want to remove all the #. But it's a very long list. So I've put in FIND #0 and REPLACE 0 but when I click REPLACE ALL, it takes away the # but also all the first Zeros!!. I've tried formatting the column as Text, General, Custom but it doesn't work. BTW why ...

Create file fails for virtual com port zero
Hi all, I am trying to configure com port zero for virtual com port and create file fails when trying to open port zero . Please see the code snippet below for your reference HANDLE h = RegisterDevice (L"COM", 0, L"btd.dll", (DWORD)&pp); if(h == NULL) { printf(" Register bluetooth comm port failed handle returns NULL with error %d\n",GetLastError()); Sleep(10000); return FALSE; } wsprintf (szComPort, L"COM%d:", index); HANDLE hCommPort = CreateFile (L"COM0:", GENERIC_READ | GENERIC_WRITE, 0, NULL, OPEN_EXIST...

Where are auto-complete values stored in browser forms
My browsers (IE and Firefox) keep values of auto-complete for form fields (eg what I've entered for Google searches in the past). Where is this kept? How do I find all the lists for the different kinds of fields that kept in my PC? Not an Office's Outlook question. Ask in a Windows forum. "Hall" wrote: > My browsers (IE and Firefox) keep values of auto-complete for form fields > (eg what I've entered for Google searches in the past). > > Where is this kept? How do I find all the lists for the different kinds of > fields that kept in my PC? &g...

retrieving values between 2 defined limits in experimetal data series
I've got several columns of data; each columns refers to one element. Far each elements the arrays are experimental values I call them "steps"(about 100 arrays for each element) For every element ,i want to automatically check when values in array exceed 1 Example: for two elements step E1 E2 1 0,23 0,8 2 0,56 0,87 3 1,02 0,90 4 1,89 0,91 5 3 0,98 ... 70 30 1,2 ... 100 54,1 56,5 I want to know, for each element (=column) the FIRST step at which value>1 , or better, the step "i" between steps "i-1&q...

Can't send mail...parameter values not valid
When I try to send mail via Office/Outlook I receive the pop-up, "Could not complete...one or more parameter values are not valid." I don't understand. What must I do to send mail? ...

How do I make a graph ignore zero's in Excel 98
Hi, I set up a chart that graphs changes in quantity over time. It's source data comes from multiple different places in my spreadsheet, so, to make it easy to graph, I use formulas to set it out nicely.. namely, two rows, the top with date and the bottom with quantity. Problem is, that everyday I have to copy the quantity grabbing formula over to the next column. If I leave the formula pre-copied right across, it skews my trend line and makes my graph look terrible because it dives down to zero. If I don't copy the formula, I miss the latest set of data. Essentially, I just wan...

Data Value in a Chart
By default when you enable the data label in a 3-D Bar Chart, the data label starts in the middle of the bar chart. Is there any way to change the label to be out of the bar chart? This problem happens only with 3-D Bar Charts. Thanks Joe Joe - If you double click on the labels, and click on the Alignment tab, there is no Label Position option as there is for non-3D charts. You can select and move each label individually with the mouse, or use a VBA solution, like the Move Labels feature of Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler addin (free at http://appspro.com). But you can't specify an...

Lead Conversion
Hi, I notice that when a Lead is converted, a number of values are automatically copied to the Account, Contact and Opportunity objects optionally created, such as description, company name and so on. I have created custom attributes for my Leads, to hold details of the potential account's current systems etc. Identically named custom fields have also be created for Accounts. Because the custom fields are not automatically carried over when the lead is converted, I've created a workflow attached to the Account creation event. In it, I check that the Originating Lead is not blan...

3-d referneces in chart series values
I have a chart that has three series plotted on it, the first is column format and the second and third are lines. The first (column) represents average golf scores for one hole for individuals, the second (line) represents par, while the third (line) represents overall average for all golfers. I can plot the column graph for the 23 competitors - no problem. The problem is with the two line graphs. I want the lines to extend the width of the 23 columns. To do this I need 23 points that are the same for each line. I would like to use something like =player1:player23!$c$323, but I keep ...

How do I get an Excel chart to ingore zero values created by funct
I'm using SUM functions to calculate monthly sales totals. Currently most of the results are zeros. How do I include the entire data range in my chart (so I don't have to redo it every month) but make sure that the chart doesn't include any zero values? I've tried hiding all zeros in my worksheet, but the chart doesn't recognise these as blank cells. I'm using Excel 2003 Drew: I repeat my answer to another question here again. There is an elegant solution, called "dynamic named range", that works with the OFFSET command. Search the web with this jargon, ...

Vert bar chart; want bars only for non-zero Y-values
Hello -- We have categories and category %'s totalling 100%; selected category % values might be 0 in some data sets. Example data set: Category Category % ========= ========== Magazines 5 Newspapers 20 Radio 0 TV 30 Cable 45 Satellite 0 --------- Total 100 In this case, we want vertical bars representing the Category %s for Magazines, Newspapers, TV, and Cable, with these category names as X-axis labels. ...

Replace leading zeros with leading spaces ?
I am using Excel 2007. Format (12,”000”) gives me 012 I want (12,”??0”) to be 12 with a leading space Question mark doesn’t seem to work in Excel 2007 Use this... Format(12, "@@@") -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27CFD9C0-FA9C-4A49-8557-3B86FBA0CD93@microsoft.com... >I am using Excel 2007. > Format (12,”000”) gives me 012 > I want (12,”??0”) to be 12 with a leading space > > Question mark doesn’t seem to work in Excel 2007 > I don't think you need to use Form...

Value or Formula
How can I enter a value in a cell that contains a formula but without deleting the formua? Can't be done. You can have either a value, or a formula, in a cell, but not both. Regards, Fred "Zapatera" <Zapatera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0049880-4259-4799-A673-DCDDA39098CB@microsoft.com... > How can I enter a value in a cell that contains a formula but without > deleting the formua? Hi, is this what you mean? =22/7 & " Is the value of Pi" -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt t...

Get character from BYTE value
Simple question this: If I receive a list of byte values, eg. [104][101][108][108][111], this would be "hello" as a string. Is there a simple command (part of the .NET library) to convert from [104] into "h"? Using VB.NET 2003. Thanks, Alain The CHR() function will do the conversion from a numeric value into a character, but you need to remove the [] before trying to convert the string to a numeric. Look at the Trim function for how to remove multiple characters from a string http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.string.trim.aspx http:/...

How to store hex values in 2-D
Hi I couldn't figure out how to store 2 strings in char array. I know the following works: char szAbcNDef[] = { "ABC", "DEF" }; char szAbc[] = { 0x41, 0x42, 0x43, 0x00 }; char szDef[] = { 0x44, 0x45, 0x46, 0x00 }; However, when I tried to assign them using 2D style, I got compile error char *szAbcNDef[] = {{ 0x41, 0x42, 0x43, 0x00 }, { 0x44, 0x45, 0x46, 0x00 } }; Can anyone help me? char szAbcNDef[2] [4]= {{ 0x41, 0x42, 0x43, 0x00 }, { 0x44, 0x45, 0x46, 0x00 } }; AliR "stupid" <anonymous@dis...