Date when I last change cell in a row?

Please, Help.
In my database, every row represents a separate client. I wonder if it is
possible to input the date when I last changed any value in a particular row.
This way I will know when exactly I last updated the information for client
in row 4, 5 etc.
I don't need the date when the document was last saved.
Please, let me know if it can be done in Excel.

Thank you,

0
Evgeny (1)

    On Error GoTo ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    With Target
        If .Row = 5 Then
            Me.Range("H1").Value = Date
            Me.Range("H1").NumberFormat = "dd-mmm-yyyy"
        End If
    End With

ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

HTH

RP

"Evgeny" <Evgeny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please, Help.
> In my database, every row represents a separate client. I wonder if it is
> possible to input the date when I last changed any value in a particular
row.
> This way I will know when exactly I last updated the information for
client
> in row 4, 5 etc.
> I don't need the date when the document was last saved.
> Please, let me know if it can be done in Excel.
>
> Thank you,

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
7/22/2005 8:59:15 PM
I have a similar need and this looked like it should work for me but I
couldn't get it to work perhaps you can tell me what I'm did incorrectly.

I inserted the code as indicated into the sheet's code area.  Is there
anything else I have to do to get it to execute?

assumed Me.Range ("H1") was the indicated which column to put the date in
and chaged H1 to Z1 since column Z is where i need the date to go

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

>     On Error GoTo ws_exit:
>     Application.EnableEvents = False
>     With Target
>         If .Row = 5 Then
>             Me.Range("H1").Value = Date
>             Me.Range("H1").NumberFormat = "dd-mmm-yyyy"
>         End If
>     End With
>
> ws_exit:
>     Application.EnableEvents = True
> End Sub
>
> 'This is worksheet event code, which means that it needs to be
> 'placed in the appropriate worksheet code module, not a standard
> 'code module. To do this, right-click on the sheet tab, select
> 'the View Code option from the menu, and paste the code in.
>

> --
>
> HTH
>
> RP
>

> "Evgeny" <Evgeny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please, Help.
> > In my database, every row represents a separate client. I wonder if it is
> > possible to input the date when I last changed any value in a particular
> row.
> > This way I will know when exactly I last updated the information for
> client
> > in row 4, 5 etc.
> > I don't need the date when the document was last saved.
> > Please, let me know if it can be done in Excel.
> >
> > Thank you,

0
DanMorton (8)
9/30/2005 11:36:05 AM
Did you enable macros when you opened the workbook
Check tools|macro|security|security level
If it's set to not ask and not run macros, then you could have problems.

(Change it to medium to always prompt you (what version of excel are you
using?))

Bob's code looks for changes in row 5.  Is that what you wanted?

You may want to look at how JE McGimpsey does it (just for comparison):

But it's difficult to guess.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Did you enable macros when you opened the workbook
> Check tools|macro|security|security level
> If it's set to not ask and not run macros, then you could have problems.
>
> (Change it to medium to always prompt you (what version of excel are you
> using?))
>
> Bob's code looks for changes in row 5.  Is that what you wanted?
>
> You may want to look at how JE McGimpsey does it (just for comparison):
> http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html
>
> But it's difficult to guess.
>
> Dan Morton wrote:
> >
> > I have a similar need and this looked like it should work for me but I
> > couldn't get it to work perhaps you can tell me what I'm did incorrectly.
> >
> > I inserted the code as indicated into the sheet's code area.  Is there
> > anything else I have to do to get it to execute?
> >
> > assumed Me.Range ("H1") was the indicated which column to put the date in
> > and chaged H1 to Z1 since column Z is where i need the date to go
> >
> > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> >
> > > Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
> > >
> > >     On Error GoTo ws_exit:
> > >     Application.EnableEvents = False
> > >     With Target
> > >         If .Row = 5 Then
> > >             Me.Range("H1").Value = Date
> > >             Me.Range("H1").NumberFormat = "dd-mmm-yyyy"
> > >         End If
> > >     End With
> > >
> > > ws_exit:
> > >     Application.EnableEvents = True
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > 'This is worksheet event code, which means that it needs to be
> > > 'placed in the appropriate worksheet code module, not a standard
> > > 'code module. To do this, right-click on the sheet tab, select
> > > 'the View Code option from the menu, and paste the code in.
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > RP
> > > (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
> > >

> > > "Evgeny" <Evgeny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > row.
> > > client

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
DanMorton (8)
9/30/2005 4:36:02 PM
Dan

'for any column or row with Z as receiver of date
On Error GoTo enditall
Application.EnableEvents = False
   If Not IsEmpty(Cells(Target.Row, "Z")) Then Exit Sub
   If Not IsEmpty(Target.Value) Then Cells(Target.Row, "Z") = Now
enditall:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:36:02 -0700, "Dan Morton"
<DanMorton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Macros are enabled.  I wasn't aware that as coded only row 5 was checked.
>What I want to do is insert the current date in column Z of any row that
>changes have been made in.  Any Idea how to mod code to accomplish that; it
>should be fairly obvious I don't.  Thanks.
>
>"Dave Peterson" wrote:
>
>> Did you enable macros when you opened the workbook
>> Check tools|macro|security|security level
>> If it's set to not ask and not run macros, then you could have problems.
>>
>> (Change it to medium to always prompt you (what version of excel are you
>> using?))
>>
>> Bob's code looks for changes in row 5.  Is that what you wanted?
>>
>> You may want to look at how JE McGimpsey does it (just for comparison):
>> http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html
>>
>> But it's difficult to guess.
>>
>> Dan Morton wrote:
>> >
>> > I have a similar need and this looked like it should work for me but I
>> > couldn't get it to work perhaps you can tell me what I'm did incorrectly.
>> >
>> > I inserted the code as indicated into the sheet's code area.  Is there
>> > anything else I have to do to get it to execute?
>> >
>> > assumed Me.Range ("H1") was the indicated which column to put the date in
>> > and chaged H1 to Z1 since column Z is where i need the date to go

>> --
>>
>> Dave Peterson

0
Gord
9/30/2005 7:38:20 PM
Just to add to Gord's response.

His code says to not update column Z if it already has something in it.  So if
you change A1 today (then Z1 will be populated with that moment's date/time.)

But if you change B1 tomorrow (and haven't touched Z1), then Z1 will remain with
the initial date.

This is the line that says first change wins:
If Not IsEmpty(Cells(Target.Row, "Z")) Then Exit Sub

If you want every change to overwrite the date/time in column Z, just delete
that line.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Just to add to Gord's response.
>
> His code says to not update column Z if it already has something in it.  So if
> you change A1 today (then Z1 will be populated with that moment's date/time.)
>
> But if you change B1 tomorrow (and haven't touched Z1), then Z1 will remain with
> the initial date.
>
> This is the line that says first change wins:
> If Not IsEmpty(Cells(Target.Row, "Z")) Then Exit Sub
>
> If you want every change to overwrite the date/time in column Z, just delete
> that line.
>
> Gord Dibben wrote:
> >
> > Dan

> > 'for any column or row with Z as receiver of date
> > On Error GoTo enditall
> > Application.EnableEvents = False
> >    If Not IsEmpty(Cells(Target.Row, "Z")) Then Exit Sub
> >    If Not IsEmpty(Target.Value) Then Cells(Target.Row, "Z") = Now
> > enditall:
> > Application.EnableEvents = True
> > End Sub
> >
> > Gord Dibben Excel MVP
> >
> > On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:36:02 -0700, "Dan Morton"
> > <DanMorton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Macros are enabled.  I wasn't aware that as coded only row 5 was checked.
> > >What I want to do is insert the current date in column Z of any row that
> > >changes have been made in.  Any Idea how to mod code to accomplish that; it
> > >should be fairly obvious I don't.  Thanks.

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
DanMorton (8)
9/30/2005 10:13:02 PM
Thanks for your help with change suggested by Dave the code you suggested
does exactly what I needed.
Dan

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Dan

> 'for any column or row with Z as receiver of date
> On Error GoTo enditall
> Application.EnableEvents = False
>    If Not IsEmpty(Cells(Target.Row, "Z")) Then Exit Sub
>    If Not IsEmpty(Target.Value) Then Cells(Target.Row, "Z") = Now
> enditall:
> Application.EnableEvents = True
> End Sub
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:36:02 -0700, "Dan Morton"
> <DanMorton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Macros are enabled.  I wasn't aware that as coded only row 5 was checked.
> >What I want to do is insert the current date in column Z of any row that
> >changes have been made in.  Any Idea how to mod code to accomplish that; it
> >should be fairly obvious I don't.  Thanks.
> >
> >"Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you enable macros when you opened the workbook
> >> Check tools|macro|security|security level
> >> If it's set to not ask and not run macros, then you could have problems.
> >>
> >> (Change it to medium to always prompt you (what version of excel are you
> >> using?))
> >>
> >> Bob's code looks for changes in row 5.  Is that what you wanted?
> >>
> >> You may want to look at how JE McGimpsey does it (just for comparison):
> >> http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html
> >>
> >> But it's difficult to guess.

> >> --
> >>
> >> Dave Peterson

0
DanMorton (8)

How to Filter cells and save the file with certain criteria?
Hello. I have a Excel file that contains a large list of Tracking Numbers. The tracking numbers are from two sets of order types- Internet orders and Mail Orders. Orders that are from the Internet are matched up with a order number such as "5678". Orders from the mail-order side are designated by initials "MO". So in Excel it'll look something like this: trackingnumber orderid 123365656666 5467 152155896345 5468 123365634567 MO 152134567789 5469 152151234563 MO Is there a way to eliminate the Mail-Order rows and save the Excel file to ...

Excel Adding years or months to a date
I want to be able to add months or years to a date. For example 25/4/05 + 9 months 25/4/05 + 15 years. I am using Excel 2000. The standard way is: =DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+9,DAY(A1)) to add 9 months. For 15 years try: =DATE(YEAR(A1)+15,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) HTH Jason Atlanta, GA "Joan" wrote: > I want to be able to add months or years to a date. > > For example 25/4/05 + 9 months > 25/4/05 + 15 years. > > I am using Excel 2000. On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 06:54:03 -0700, "Joan" <Joan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to be able to a...

same date and set up on complete workbook
Is it possible to set the date only once for the complete workbook? I have 12 pages. Thank you. Ed, Not exactly sure what you mean. If you mean, insert it onto 12 different tabs/worksheets within a workbook and they're all in the same cell (e.g. A1), you can select cell A1 in Sheet 1, and then shift click on the final tab/worksheet. This will select cell A1 in all tabs. Press Ctrl ; to insert the date and press Ctrl Enter to enter it onto all 12 cells spread across the sheets. Clive -- Clivey_UK ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Clivey_UK's...

pasting into merged cells #2
Every time I try to copy and paste data into a merged cell I get error messages about the cells not being the same size. Even if I try to just paste values only. Is there any workaround or fix for this??? Dennis Try pasting into the formula bar. It's a pain, but it works. HTH Carole >-----Original Message----- >Every time I try to copy and paste data into a merged cell I get error >messages about the cells not being the same size. Even if I try to just >paste values only. Is there any workaround or fix for this??? > >Dennis > > >. > See my res...

Changes to the global template
Recently I had to start a new username because of some corrupted files. I was able to save my documents. However, everytime that I quit microsoft office a dialogue box appears and says: "Word cannot save changes to the global template because it was opened with read only access. Do you want to save the changes in a template with a different name?" Initially I tried to save it, because I was afraid that the changes to my document would not be saved. Now I click save, and the next dialogue box appears: "Microsoft Visual Basic" "Run-Time errror "5995" Word c...

how to arrange list by first or last name
I am trying to make a list with first, middle, last name , street address, and phone numbers. I like to know how you can review the list by any combination of first name, last name, city, state, and or phone number? hi can you give examples of how your list is layed out. i am thinking a helper column with an extraction formula might work. regards FSt1 "Andy" wrote: > I am trying to make a list with first, middle, last name , street address, > and phone numbers. I like to know how you can review the list by any > combination of first name, last name, c...

cell protection to allow GROUP/UNGROUP function
2 asthetic questions for all you advanced Excel Users.... Q1. is it possible to protect a worksheet, but still be able to us the +GROUP & -UN GROUP buttons ? to expand / contract the viewe ranges? Q2. anyone know how to change the colour of the AUTO FILTER button - i changes from black to dark blue when activated - i would like to hav this with more contrast and so it jumps out at you ( and the othe plebs in the office who keep forgetting) Regards David ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages dire...

Sort date by day and not year
Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year. Ex: Would like to sort like list below: 3/02/1997 3/15/2002 3/21/1996 Not like this: 3/21/1996 3/02/1997 3/15/2002 Please help and thank you for your help. Kathy Hi one way: - add an additional helper column (lets ay B) - insert the following formula in B1 (if column A stores your list): =MONTH(A1) - copy this formula for all rows - sort with this helper column -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Kathy wrote: > Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year. > > Ex: > Would like to sort like list below: >...

Highlight Cells with different values
Hi, I have a column that I want to locate the differences. I can use the F5---Special---Column Differences. But I wanted to know if I can do it with Conditional Formatting. Like if Value in A1 is different than the values in Column A:A, then it is highlighted... Any help appreciated Fuad Sounds like an Excel question..try one of the Excel newsgroups, this one is for Publisher. "Fuad" <Fuad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0536FB95-362E-412F-BD1C-99BF9B10E8CD@microsoft.com... | Hi, | | I have a column that I want to locate the differences. I can use th...

Language change in outlook express
Hi, I cannot change th language to english in outlook express by defult it has French. please help me how to change in options. i check all my regional settings shows english(us) execpt in word and express. -- Nisha P nishkrish <nishkrish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I cannot change th language to english in outlook express by defult > it has French. Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] nishkrish Ask in the Outlook Express newsgroups Outlook Express with IE7 http://www.microsoft.com/co...

Last name, first name
I have a list with lastname, firstname in a cell. I would like to change it to firsname lastname. Any clues? officexp. Thank you. Mich - Insert a column after your name column, highlight the name column, go to Data, Text to Columns, Delimited, select comma, finish. This will give you two columns, lastname, firstname. Insert a column before your lastname column. Move the firstname column to the new column. Your third column should now be blank. Enter in the formula =CONCATENATE(,A1," ",B1)in the third column. This will put your firstname space lastname in the third ...

Credit Card Expiration date error
We are getting an error message for credit cards with expiration dates greater than 2010. Has anyone else seen that? We are currently on RMS 1.2 using PC-Charge. It takes expiration dates through 2009. hi Rick, There is update for 1.2 to 1.3 and also in 1.3 there are patches available kindly download from customer sources this will resolve the issue "Rick@ASP" wrote: > We are getting an error message for credit cards with expiration dates > greater than 2010. Has anyone else seen that? We are currently on RMS 1.2 > using PC-Charge. It takes expiration dates thr...

How to total cells in a range with data input
Greetings to all members I am running Excel 97. An office colleague presented me with an issue that might be of interest to any Excel whiz and seasoned programmers. I would certainly appreciate any pointers in solving it. So here goes. The set of values includes 33 cells ranging from B4:D14. The data type is numeric. Data is only input in a few cells. QUESTION What would be the function to enter in, say, cell A15 to indicate the total number of cells in range B4:D14 that have received data input? Or does it involve some behind the scene VBA programming? EXAMPLE B6 = 9 C9 = 4 D11 ...

How do I protect one single cell?
I have a spreadsheet where people are going to type in numbers, and the final cell is a total, which of course I don't want people to accidentally type over, as it will lose the formula behind it. So...... I put some "data validation" behind that cell, to say only allow entries of text length = 50 - a kind of "mock" condition. Nobody'e ever gonna type in 50 chars. are they?! And sure enough, typing in (eg) 854221 brings up the error box to stop them, just like (eg) HHJSYT brings up the error box to stop them. I even unchecked the ignore blank" box, so that ent...

change direction of cursor after enter
In excel 2003, how do I change cause the cursor to go the next cell to the right, rather than to go to the cell below? Thank you! Tools > Options > Edit > Move selection after Enter > select Right. -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk "duke" <jbrown2lt@msn.com> wrote in message news:9793815c-97dc-4894-9adc-f3c43d71c91d@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > In excel 2003, how do I change cause the cursor to go the next cell to > the right,...

CF to Row after CF is applied to Column
Can someone please help me? I've read through the postings and the help files but still can't seem to figure out how to do this. I've applied conditional formatting to the J column of my spreadsheet so that if there's any text listed the cell turns yellow. What I'd like is if not only the cell but the row, from A:O turned yellow also. How do you do that? I'm using 07. Any help in English walking me through the steps or a hint toward the appropriate post would be greatly appreciated. Cuz I aint figrin it out on myown! Thanks in advance! --Dax...

How-To: Last change date on row
When I set up a database I always include a last change date that auto updates every time any field in the record changes. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to achieve a similar function in a spreadsheet. i.e. put the current date/time in a field in the row whenever anything in the row changes? -- GGG ------------------------------------------------------------------------ GGG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29220 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489447 GGG, For example, to put the last change date in...

Calculate A Date Excluding Weekends And Holidays
I have a date and a series of tasks that need to be completed by a certain number of days from the intial date. The time to complete the tasks can not include weekends or holidays. Example: Initial date is 2/15/2006 I have 10 business days to complete a task All Help will be appreciated. Thank you. -- travelersway ------------------------------------------------------------------------ travelersway's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=17623 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=510032 =WORKDAY(A1,10) Format as dat...

Stop running sum(Over All) when customer change
Dear All I hv report based on tblTransaction which contains many customers with their transactions by date wise. I grouped report on CustomerID sub Group by Fromat(trnDate,”MMM-YY”) to get monthly transactions for each customer. I made calculated field to obtained closing balance with running sum over Group. I want to make the Running sum – over all but when customers is changing it must stop and start again, by default it will give running sum of all the customer, exactly this I don’t want. Any idea to stopped or make running sum based on customer when month is changing it ...

The recalcitrant active cell.
I am way over in column EO, reconnoitring data, when I need assistance of a "what if", I activate the auto filter, and the active cell jumps back to A1. any workarounds for this annoying habit? Thanks in advance. Works for me, if I filter on something in one column and the active cell is there as well it won't change to A1 2 guesses, your active cell was A1 from the start even though you filtered on EO you have a recorded macro that was setup to go back to A1 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Rodney" <rodney@touch88gum.com.au> wrote in message news:u3PI%...

How to change labels on a chart from numbers to words?
Can Someone Please help me? I can't figure out how to change the labels on my chart in excel from numbers to words! I'm not sure which labels you want to change to words, but maybe Jon Peltier's charting tutorial will help you: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html Arin wrote: > Can Someone Please help me? I can't figure out how to change the labels on my > chart in excel from numbers to words! -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html I suspect it's this page: http://peltiertech.com/...

Batch Number Changed
I recently upgraded GP from Ver. 8 to 10. few days back i notices that around 800 SOP orders transfered to One batch. This Batch was not existing before. system created the batch. How this could happen? i checked in the activity tracking table, no clues from there. ...

Change Password Next Login, Enforce Password Policy and Expiration
I'm curious why are the Change Password Next Login, Enforce Password Policy and Enforce Password Expiration is diabled in Greatplains 8.0 when i create a user. my client want to know how to enable it. hope for your prompt action. -- Jeremy Ayaay Technical Specialist STRC Only works for SQL 2005. If you client wants to use a beta database server... "Jher" wrote: > I'm curious why are the Change Password Next Login, Enforce Password Policy > and Enforce Password Expiration is diabled in Greatplains 8.0 when i create a > user. my client want to know how to enab...

How do I set If Statement to set Priorities, off of dates due?
I am trying to set up If Statements to read dates for several projects and from those dates set priority levels of A, B, C, etc... Can anyone offer assistance? Try something like: =IF(B1=DATE(2005,1,1),"A",IF(B1=DATE(2005,1,2),"B","C")) ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "K Svoboda" wrote: > I am trying to set up If Statements to read dates for several projects and > from those dates set priority levels of A, B, C, etc... Can anyone offer > assistance? One way: assuming the due date in A1: =IF((A1-TODAY())<=0,&q...

Turn a whole Record Row a different color
I have several users who like the entire row for a record to have a different background color from adjacent records. I have done it with conditional formatting by setting a field value to 1 when any field in that record has the focus. This works pretty good in a single user environment. However, when multiple users are accessing the same recordset, records other than the one that user has open will also meet the conditional format and be yellow. Can anyone think of a way to turn all fields in a single record to a different background color without affecting records on other computer...