date problem in excel

I have a problem that when I open a file, like text or csv file, the cell
with number dash number, ex. 10-5, will be automatically changed to date
format. But this really affect my data analysis. I know we could add ' before
typing or change cell format before typing, but how to cancel this autoformat
when opening another file??

Thanks

0
Wozniak (2)

is not number (dash) number is not a number only a text.
in that case type '(single apostrophe)10-5

Wozniak <Wozniak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a problem that when I open a file, like text or csv file, the cell
> with number dash number, ex. 10-5, will be automatically changed to date
> format. But this really affect my data analysis. I know we could add '
before
> typing or change cell format before typing, but how to cancel this
autoformat
> when opening another file??
>
> Thanks

Perhaps one work-around ..

Try to force the file opening to go through the Text Import Wizard
(rename the file to have a .txt extension in explorer)

Click Next > Next to proceed to step 3 of the wizard
In the Text Import Wizard's step 3:
Select the column(s) affected (in turn, one at a time) in the Data preview
pane, then check: "Text" under "Column data format", then click Finish

Columns checked "Text" will be preserved intact
--
Rgds
Max
"Wozniak" <Wozniak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a problem that when I open a file, like text or csv file, the cell
> with number dash number, ex. 10-5, will be automatically changed to date
> format. But this really affect my data analysis. I know we could add '
before
> typing or change cell format before typing, but how to cancel this
autoformat
> when opening another file??
>
> Thanks

0
demechanik (4694)
8/5/2005 8:46:26 AM
> Try to force the file opening to go through the Text Import Wizard
> (rename the file to have a .txt extension in explorer)

Then open the file from within Excel (via File > Open, then select "Text
Files" in the "Files of type:" droplist)
--
Rgds
Max

0
demechanik (4694)
8/5/2005 11:11:29 AM
Thanks, it works. But still no way to change the excel setting?

"Max" wrote:

> > Try to force the file opening to go through the Text Import Wizard
> > (rename the file to have a .txt extension in explorer)
>
> Then open the file from within Excel (via File > Open, then select "Text
> Files" in the "Files of type:" droplist)
> --
> Rgds
> Max
> xl 97
> ---
> GMT+8,  1° 22' N  103° 45' E
> xdemechanik
> ----

0
Wozniak (2)
8/6/2005 5:26:06 AM
"Wozniak" wrote:
> Thanks, it works.

You're welcome !

> But still no way to change the excel setting?

From a browse through Google, don't think so ..
You may wish to read some of the posts at:
http://tinyurl.com/ey6vu

--
Rgds
Max

0
demechanik (4694)

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

Question -Problem

AD Sync problem

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

WCF Client serialization problem

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

message delivery problems

Problem with Range

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

Having problem with spoofing email

outlook 97 and express email problems

learning Excel #3

Problem sending encrypted email in OLXP

sys menu problem in MDI
I have an MDI with 3 childwnd. Whenever group of views from chiuldwnd type X is shown the childwnd Y views and childwnd Z views are hidden via ShowWindow(SW_HIDE) when changing the activate frame. it works. But when I press the minimize box on the ChildWnd sys menu, i C all the views no matter what type are them. I want that when I press the system menu the other views types will still be hidden and the views of the vurrent type will be shown as minimize, how di I do it ? 10x. J. ...

Date/Day
Hi, How do I make Excell tell me the day that the Date corresponds to. Example: If I have 8/7/03 in a column, I want to be able to enter a formula in the next column such that Excell would tell me it is Thursday Thx Omer Omer, Look at the WEEKDAY function. From Help Syntax WEEKDAY(serial_number,return_type) Serial_number is a sequential number that represents the date of the day you are trying to find. Dates may be entered as text strings within quotation marks (for example, "1/30/1998" or "1998/01/30"), as serial numbers (for example, 35825, which represents...

Excel VBA