date in a text cell

I need to show my date as 06-Dec-2005 in a text cell.  Is it possible to have
a regular date format in a text cell.

Thanks

0
Dajana (14)

If you format the cell as Text, then you'll have to type in what you
want--exactly the way you want to see it.

If you don't format it as text, you could type the date in anyway that's a date,
then use a custom format of:

dd-mmm-yyyy

(format|cells|number tab|custom category)

--

Dave Peterson
0

="My birthday is on " &TEXT(C1,"dd-mmm-yyyy")

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 14:12:01 -0800, Dajana <Dajana@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I need to show my date as 06-Dec-2005 in a text cell.  Is it possible to have
>a regular date format in a text cell.
>
>Thanks
0
Gord

How can we refer to "Date last saved" field's values(windows7)
There is "Date last saved" field in windows7 explorer. How can we refer to the value? Is it equal to LastAccessTime? or LastWriteTime? or ChangeTime? Why not try it yourself? Write a program or find a utility that can set all three to different values and see which one pops up as "Dave last saved". The second sounds most likely. "Benjamin" <crazytazo@gmail.com> wrote in message news:2c1790a9-298c-499d-9727-356923338574@m27g2000prl.googlegroups.com... > There is "Date last saved" field in windows7 explorer. > > Ho...

Form becomes disabled/text invisible
Hi, I have a class that inherits from Form. It's pretty simple; it displays text. I have multiple of these, which get constructed dynamically. Unfortunately, if I click on one of these Forms, it becomes disabled, and the text inside of it is no longer visible (the scroll bar is no longer visible, etc.). In fact, it causes the rest of the windows to become disabled as well. It's as if the application has become too busy to maintain the Form's visibility. The application is multi-threaded. What's going on? Thanks. Julie Julie skrev: > Hi, > I have a cl...

Selecting cells containing spcific character(s)
Hello, I need to know how to get Excel to select all cells within a specific column that contain a specific character. In this instance, I need to select all the cells which contain a comma... And even better would be if I could get Excel to not just select all the cells in a specific column containing a comma, but each of the rows in which those cells reside. I hope this makes sense and someone can help me. Thanks. -- ianwitt ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ianwitt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3...

Go to certain sheets based on cell value
Hello, I have created a drop down list with the numbers 1,2,3. If the user chooses 1 and presses enter, he/she is taken to 'AOA Only Analysis' sheet, and so on for the other two. Any and all help on this is greatly appreciated. Tushar Tushar, Instead of a drop-down, why not put your three entries in three cells? They can have anything in them, such as "AOA Only Analysis." Now set up hyperlinks (right-click the cell, and select "hyperlink") and set up the hyperlink with "Place in this document." -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizo...

Invalid date format ...
I'm trying to convert MS-Access database into MS-SQL 2000 SP 4. While doing so, I got error at row 232: Invalid date format Row 232 has this date: Nov 23 2005 for this date also i am getting error:2005/09/03 (YYYY/MM/DD) I've tried using all date formats. No respite!. I'm using DTS to migrate. Also, tried through programming. No respite!!. Please let me know the workaround. Thanx much. Raj. ...

Is there any way to put a pic in a cell and type over it?
I want to put faided out text in the back of a cell, which i can then type over with solid font once the hard copy of the form has been signed? ...

Add 5 working days to date
hi I am trying to work with two dates on phone call entity in crm - actual start and scheduledend what i want to achieve is - set the actual start date to current date if it is null and then add 5 working days to actual start date below is the code i am using var CRM_FORM_TYPE_CREATE = 1; var CRM_FORM_TYPE_UPDATE = 2; switch (crmForm.FormType) { case CRM_FORM_TYPE_CREATE: crmForm.all.actualstart.DataValue == null crmForm.all.actualstart.DataValue = new Date(); crmForm.all.scheduledend.DataValue=dateadd("w",5,actualstart) break; case CRM_FORM_TYPE...

Writing to text file
Hi all! Using VB 2008. I need to write to a text file. Create and write if it does not exist or append if it does. I have this code: If System.IO.File.Exists("G:\work\temp\TestTxtFiles\Box\testfile.txt") Then 'Open file for append. Using oFile As System.IO.StreamWriter = System.IO.File.AppendText("G:\work\temp\TestTxtFiles\Box\testfile.txt") oFile.WriteLine("Test file line 4") oFile.WriteLine("Test file line 5") oFile.WriteLine("Test file line 6") oFile.Close() End Usin...

Text
I downloaded a report into excel. One of the columns are numbers but can't calculate them. How do I change it to a number? I don't want to use (example.. A1*1) -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Copy an empty cell, select the import and do edit>paste special and select add If that doesn't work then you have invisible characters in the import -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "MileHigh >" <<MileHigh.1053v9@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:MileHigh.1053v9@excelforum-nospam.com... > I downloaded a report into excel. One of the ...

right justify text ot columns?
I have a column with lots of figures ranging between one and fou digits. I want to place digits into separate columns using text t columns but right justified. I thought right justifying the figure first then using text to columns would work but everything stil appears left justified. Any suggestions -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi The justification of a cell is just cosmetic. You can use Text to Columns whatever the formatting is. An alternative is to use formulas: =MID(A1,1,1) =MID(A1,2,1) =MID(A1,3,1) etc Once done, if you want it right-justified, just format it as...

Formatting Dates in excel
I have about 2000 rows (x4 in columns) of dates in 2 formats and they are "0/00/00 and 00/00/0000". How can I quick fix this problem into just one format for all like this way "00/00/00"? I tried using the formula and it did not help at all and the other way was for me to use "format cells, category-date, type-00/00/00”. Then, after I have to manually go into each cell and double click it and that the only way it will format it. Please help there must be an easier way to fix this problem. Try Data>Text To Columns and tab through to the third sectio...

Data bar conditional formatting based on another cell
I'm using Excel 2007 and have my setup as below: =20 Column A contains list of names Column K contains percentage gains for the names in column A. The percentages vary between -100% and +100% =20 I want to apply conditional formatting as below: Have a 'data bar' in column A with GREEN color if=20 the corresponding value in K is positive. Have a 'data bar' in column A with RED color if=20 the corresponding value in K is negative. =20 There is another sheet where column K contains numbers=20 instead of percentages. I would like to format column A=20 in the same way here as we...

Formatted text in multiple lines in CListCtrl #3
I would like to know how can I display formatted text (Different fonts and colors) in multiple lines in a single cell in CListCtrl large icon view. I have seen samples on codeproject/codeguru that deals with changing text color/font. But I would like to display formatted text (e.g: Some bold text and some different color in multiple lines in a single item) along with an icon in each cell. How can I achieve this using CListCtrl? If not, can you please suggest any alternative solutions? The following article on codeproject suggests on how to change the row height in an owner drawn list control...

if a cell has a value greater than 0, then atomaticaly goto a seperate page for addit
Dear Help forum, I'm trying to set up a formula that will automatically move me t another sheet if a value greater than 0 is entered in certin cells. Thank you Fran -- Franks ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Frankso's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3011 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49797 A formula returns a value to the cell that holds it. It can't move you. But maybe you could use a =hyperlink() formula that would allow you to click the link and go to the ...

Text Box in Publisher
I am trying to create a text box in publisher with the measurement of 5.75 (h) x 5 (w). But publisher is making the height 5.751. How do I correct this? Is this even possible. Don't think it is possible... The .001 is so tiny it shouldn't make much difference. I can get a true 5.75 in Publisher 2000 but as soon as I copy/paste it goes back to 5.751 in 2002, 2003 and 07. Lines do the same. I can create a rectangle in a draw program, paste special into Publisher, ungroup, this rectangle will maintain the correct size. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Nikki" &l...

Date To Text
Hello All, It sounds like a simple thing, but I am having a nightmare trying to find an easy way to take a formated date field and put it into a Text field in the same format. For example the date format shows 01/05/2003 if I paste that into a Text field then I just get the date serial number. If I use a macro like : day(a1)&"/"&month(a1)&"/"&year(a1) then I get 1/5/2003 Any ideas on how to get 01/05/2003 in the text field? Many thanks in advance. Best Regards, Derek =TEXT(A1,"dd/mm/yyyy") -- HTH Bob Phillips "Derek Timothy" ...

copying non adjacent cells
I saw some of the threads on this subject through googles groups search. By repeated experiments I found 1) if the non adjacent cells are in the same row or column these can be selected and copied 2)But if the non adjacent cells are in more than one row or one column and if I try to select and copy, the error message comes up: "the command cannot be used in multiple selections" response from MVPs is appreciated.. If you want to copy multiple ranges, the selections must match in rows and columns In each column, the same rows must be selected, or nothing is selected In each row...

OWA date format
I want to change the date format in OWA. But i can't find the dd/MM/yy (eg. 06/12/03) format in the drop down list. Anyways to do it??? The list it in dd-mmm-yy format. dd/mm/yy can be misleading, it can be taken as the wrong date, your example is perfect. When I first read it, I saw 06/12/03 as June 12th, 2003 instead of December 6th, 2003 If the recipient doesn't know you are using the dd/mm/yy format they will get the date wrong as well on several occations. Todd "William C." <cmchong20@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Oo3aelhlEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.g...

conditional formating with text
I have two columns of data (A:B), and want to highlight values in Col B in coloured text, where the adjacent cell in Col A contains data entered in brackets. The data in column A is a mixture of numbers and text and formatted as 'General' so that a number in brackets does not appear as a negative value. I've used CF before but can't seem to enter a formula that works. Any ideas? If there cannot be any other parenthesizes then you can use In the CF use formula is and =ISNUMBER(FIND("(",A1)) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "s...

CRM Email no text in body
HI, I have a problem with my CRM and email, for some reason when I send an email thru the CRM, whether it be thru SALES for Outlook Client or directly thru the CRM the bosy of the text gets replaced with a single < there is nothing else. It happens when using templates or simply typing "this is really pissing me off" but the subject line does come thru. Any suggestions??? This sounds like some form of HTML parsing issue. As a troubleshooting step, you should crack open the DB and see what is actually being stored for that e-mail body in the DB. This would be in the Ema...

Getting the longest lengh in range of cells
I am trying to get the length of the longest cell in a range and use the array {=len(a1:a1)}. What happens is that it picks up the length of cell A1. Is there a way in a formula to determine the longest cell length in a range, or through VBA. Thanks in advance Hi Try this formula array (please amend with last row number): {=MAX(LEN(A1:A7))} HTH Cordially Pascal "Geoff" <gh@bob.com> a �crit dans le message de news:uMKoCQiSFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I am trying to get the length of the longest cell in a range and use the > array {=len(a1:a1)}. What happen...

ploting one cell from 10 worksheets into one chart
i am trying to figure out a way to plot one cell, lets say c-1 from 10 -30 worksheets, in one workbook; on one chart. Each worksheet is a date and each c-1 value is just a number. any help would help thanks alex n. alex.nazarchuK@unitedwater.com ------------------------------------------------ Message posted from the Excel Tip Forum at http://www.ExcelTip.com/forum/ -- View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelTip.com -- Hundreds of free MS Excel tips, tricks and solutions ------------------------------------------------ You can plot each data point as a separate ser...

excel
I am trying to write a macro to save a excel spreadsheet and use a cell that contains text like a customer name. Record your macro to include the File > SaveAs, then edit that line of code. Instead of ... Filename:="\\FinancialReporting\FY2006" ..., you might use .... Filename:="\\FinancialReporting\FY" & range("B2").value ... "bossman tv" wrote: > I am trying to write a macro to save a excel spreadsheet and use a cell that > contains text like a customer name. ...

Password Cell Protection
Morning all. I'm seeking to protect specific cells within a given worksheet. I've been reading some of the newer posts on the topic, and see that I'm to first go in, unlock cells that I want accessible, and then once all cells are configured- locked or unlocked state- I go to the Review Tab, select Protect Sheet, choose the options I want users to have access to, and select/enter the desired password- twice. Once I do this, all appears to be as desired, until I try to insert or delete a row-- something I'd specifically allowed for on my unlocked cells/rows. ...

Hi Blinking/Flashing Text in cell based upon date value
Hi, I need a project completion sheet where .. the contents (TEXT) of the particular cell is to flash/blink upon some condition TRUE will any one respond pls Thank q, Syed Hi, Just a personal view but if I opened a workbook and it blinked at me I would close and delete it but if you must then have a look here. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.aspx -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "EXCEL.SYED" wrote: > H...