Date format problems #2

I've load a Excel W'book which contains dates in the
dd/mmm/yy format. Excel refuses to change the format when
I select dd-mmm-yyyy. At the Format/Cells/Date d'box the
Date and Customise are out of context. Any suggestions?

TIA johnb
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi Johnb!

Check to see if your dates are dates and not text.

Use: =ISTEXT(A1)

If text, then they won't react to your change of format.

If they are text, then:

Select an empty cell > Copy
Select the "dates"
Edit > Paste Special > Add > OK

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
"johnb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've load a Excel W'book which contains dates in the
> dd/mmm/yy format. Excel refuses to change the format when
> I select dd-mmm-yyyy. At the Format/Cells/Date d'box the
> Date and Customise are out of context. Any suggestions?
>
> TIA johnb

0
njharker (1646)
2/19/2004 11:47:00 AM
Hi Norman
No luck. The ISTEXT function returns FALSE.
If I format the date cell to a general number and reformat
it to dd-mmm-yyyy it works. It will not reformat from
dd/mmm/yyy to dd-mmm-yyyy which it should do.

Regards
John Bell

and Arguments)
>available free to good homes.
>"johnb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> I've load a Excel W'book which contains dates in the
>> dd/mmm/yy format. Excel refuses to change the format
when
>> I select dd-mmm-yyyy. At the Format/Cells/Date d'box the
>> Date and Customise are out of context. Any suggestions?
>>
>> TIA johnb
>

>.

0
anonymous (74722)
2/19/2004 2:38:19 PM
Hi John!

I'm baffled!

You can send it to me and I'll take a look but no promises!

--
> Hi Norman
> No luck. The ISTEXT function returns FALSE.
> If I format the date cell to a general number and reformat
> it to dd-mmm-yyyy it works. It will not reformat from
> dd/mmm/yyy to dd-mmm-yyyy which it should do.
>
> Regards
> John Bell

0
njharker (1646)

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Microsoft POS #2

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

multiple Domain name delivery problem

Exchange update problem

docmd.transfertext problem

SQL deadlock problem

formula based on format

Excel Problem

SOAP Exception

dates #5
Is there a formula to ad a numeric value to the name of a month. I am running a query in excel (pulling from an external source) and would like to sort as teh table refreshes by month and year. I have code to to do the refresh and the sort, but it sorts in alphabetical order. I was thinking a formula could place a numeric value to the month (1 = Jan, 2 = Feb, etc) and I can sort based on that. Is there an easy formula to do this. Thanks in advance Your easy formula could be: =MATCH(A1,{"Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun"...

Please ignore #2

Border problems

matching contents #2

Font dosen't revert back to original after typing in date
Example I n my text I type I have December 28th The th automatically reduces to a much smaller font and once you hit the sapce bar to continue it reverts back to the larger font. It only does this some of times, why is this being so inconsistent?. I refortmated my comp. last week and when I reinstalled office I was hoping this inconsistent problem would have been resloved, but no 2nd question please. When I post a question in "discussion group" and check the box "Notify me of Replies" I never receice a reply to my question I then have to go back to ...

Convert date
How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? For example: 09-13-2003 to 2003256 Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/jdates.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany gary wrote: > How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a > Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? > > For example: 09-13-2003 to 2003256 On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:24:57 -0700, "gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a >Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? > >For exa...

formating date from general2 custom
I have an input xls file with the date but like this: Wed May 14 00:00:00 GMT-05:00 2008 I need to have just following format dd/mm/yyyy I tried to format it using Format->Cells->Date or Format->Cells- >Custom but this is failing. Nothing changed. Any ideas? Thanks for the help. Vlad <vladimir.vaynshtok@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1013b138-352b-4799-81ba-9508b74a1850@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... >I have an input xls file with the date but like this: > > Wed May 14 00:00:00 GMT-05:00 2008 > > I need to have just following format > > d...

Workbook_Open Help #2
Hello Frank, Here's the code Private Sub Workbook_Open() ' Call Unhide_Sheets ' Sheets("CONTROLPANEL").Select Range("A1").Select Call Splash End Su -- Fabl ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Fable's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=218 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26252 Hi and there's no application.screenupdating=false statement in your unhide procedure? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Fable" <Fable.1d07w...