date and time calculations in Excel 2003

Example:
H6=01/14/2010 16:45
A6=12/31/2009 12:15

I want to get the difference between January 14th 2010 at 16:45 and December
31, 2009 at 12:15.  Ideally, it would be days, hours and minutes.

Like this==> ddd:hh:mm

The formula is:
=h6-a6

Use a custom format of: dd:hh:mm

Regards,
Fred

"CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Example:
> H6=01/14/2010 16:45
> A6=12/31/2009 12:15
>
> I want to get the difference between January 14th 2010 at 16:45 and
> December
> 31, 2009 at 12:15.  Ideally, it would be days, hours and minutes.
>
> Like this==> ddd:hh:mm

0
Fred
3/23/2010 2:05:12 AM
try this

=DAY(H6-A6) &" " &  TEXT(MINUTE(H6-A6),"00") & ":" & TEXT(SECOND(H6-A6),"00")

the formula will return
14 30:00

hope this works

regards
elMedex

"CJ" wrote:

> Example:
> H6=01/14/2010 16:45
> A6=12/31/2009 12:15
>
> I want to get the difference between January 14th 2010 at 16:45 and December
> 31, 2009 at 12:15.  Ideally, it would be days, hours and minutes.
>
> Like this==> ddd:hh:mm
hi
if the difference is under 30 days(1 month) you can just subtract the newest
time from the oldest time.
in this case it would be =H6-A6.
format as dd:hh:mm which would equal 14:04:30
if the difference is greater than 30 days(1 month) use this formula....
=INT(H6-A6)&":"&TEXT((H6-A6)-INT(H6-A6),"hh:mm")
reason is that in excel, when adding, hours and minutes can be made to
accumilate ie greater than 24 hour or greater than 60 minutes. but not days.
days will roll over with the month and reset to 1. in the background the days
will be there but they just wont display in the cell properly.
the second formula will produce the same time as the first.

note: the second formula will be recogonize by excel as text, the first as a
number.

Regards
FSt1

"CJ" wrote:

> Example:
> H6=01/14/2010 16:45
> A6=12/31/2009 12:15
>
> I want to get the difference between January 14th 2010 at 16:45 and December
> 31, 2009 at 12:15.  Ideally, it would be days, hours and minutes.
>
> Like this==> ddd:hh:mm

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

OWA 2003 prompting to install office?
Hello, We have a single server environment: Windows 2003, Exchange 2003, OWA 2003. Some users are having problems using OWA. When trying to compose a new message, or forward a received message, they are prompted to install some missing feature of Outlook 2000 (DATA1.MSI).. Any idea what is causing this?! Thanks, Troy Hi Troy, Take a look at.. http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/12/i_hope_youve_ ha.html "Have you wondered why, when you first use OWA 2000 and 2003, and click the New Message icon to create a new message, the Office Installer is fired-up and you're p...

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9