Data Validation in XL2007 suddenly stops functioning

I created a workbook in XL2003 that included some named ranges on Sheet2 that
fed some data validation lists on Sheet1. Everything worked as expected. My
colleague opened up the workbook in XL2007 and used it several times, and
everything worked as expected.

Then she called me, saying that it was broken. Of the 6 named ranges and
related data validation columns on the other sheet, none of them were working
anymore. I went over to her PC, and checked everything I could think of- I
could set up working data validation test cells on Sheet2, but could not get
the ones on Sheet1 to work. Data validation was still set up properly on
those cells, and the named ranges still existed and pointed to the
appropriate sources. The sheet was not protected, and I could find nothing
else unusual.

I finally created a new sheet (Sheet3) and copied the entire sheet (Sheet1)
and pasted it over. The data validation all worked as expected on Sheet3 with
no further intervention, but still does not work on Sheet1.

While we effectively have a fix (we just deleted Sheet1 and renamed Sheet3),
I'd like to understand what might cause a single sheet to suddenly not work
with data validation. The cells were selectable and we could type in whatever
we wanted, it just never showed the drop-down arrow and the related list(s).

Any ideas what would cause this type of issue?

Thank you,
Keith

vlookup w/ multiple data in a single cell
Is it possible to have a cell contain two pieces of informaton (e.g., A1 ="Me, You"), a vlookup statement to look for each pece of informaton in that cell (e.g., first "Me", then "You") in another sheet, and display the match in B1? Sheet 1 A1 = "Me, You" B1 = (after vlookup) "Art, Joe" Sheet 2 A1 = "Me" and B1 = "Art" A2 = "You" and B2 = "Joe" I tried all different kinds of =VLOOKUP with different functions, and I can't figure t out, of course I assume its possble to even use VLOOKUP ...

Mark Cells for input data
I want to know if there is a way to mark the cells that the user need t input data, color it but I don't want to print that cells with color -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi 1) Fill the cells you want to mark with the colour you want if you have not already done so. 2) Select "File>Page Setup" and then select the "Sheet" tab. 3) Place a check mark in the box "Black and White". This setting will print the entire sheet in black and white. -- XL2002 Regards William willwest22@yahoo.com "elliot315 >" <<elliot315.1...

AddIn
I've written an Addin, added it to the list of available addins and installed it. I can use the functions within the AddIn within Excel worksheets. What I would also like to be able to do is call the function from VBA. How can I do this? Thanks, Graham Graham, Set a reference to your Add-in through the VBE, Tools, References.... HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "GrahamB" <GrahamB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:148EDE4E-708B-4138-8944-A19591047B0D@microsoft.com... > I've written an Addin, added it to the list of available addins and installed &...

merging and formating data
I have data in 2 columns that i need to merge. IE: A B 234 245 needs to be: 234245 Now i know i can concantenate the data but then i'm stuck. The data can be of any number of rows, so i need to select only the cells with data in them. I then have to take the data and transpose it. IE: A 234 456 689 needs to be: A B C 234 456 689. This way i can save it as comma delimited and import it into another source. Basically i need my ending data to be 123,345,677,8984. Any ideas on how to get this all done? I would like to make it a macro so i dont have to manually do i...

Sort data by formatting
Is there any way to sort rows of data depending on their background color? Like I have around 1000 mixed up rows of 5 colors (e.g. yellow, red, green, violet, blue), and they are arranged in no specific order i.e first 2 yellow rows, then 1 red, 4 blue, then again 3 yellow, and 3 blue ...so on. I just want to arrange them in block of Colors like All Blue Rows, All Yellow Rows etc. Could it arrange using VBA or Excel? Hi check out http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm for some ideas Cheers JulieD "Murtaza" <NoEmail@NoEmail> wrote in message news:OVD5bWWKFHA.147...

Why do these symbols #### appear after correcting data in a cell?
After correcting or updating informartion entered into a cell, then going to next cell, all of these appear in the previous cell instead of the information entered & saved? Jim That usually happens when the column is not wide enough to hold the information in that cell. You will get this when the cell content is a number. Post back if you need more. HTH Otto "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:26D6FB89-3BEA-4117-86EB-4F23A0077532@microsoft.com... > After correcting or updating informartion entered into a cell, then going > to &g...

populating sheets based on data from parent sheets
Hello, I have learned much from the contributors here...many thanks. Challenge: To have one spreadsheet (master) trigger the populating of another spreadsheet (sheet2) when data is entered into a cell on the master sheet. Once certain data is entered into a cell on Sheet2, it would populate data onto sheet3. For example: When a date is entered into the "scheduled delivery date" field, on the master sheet. I would like for this to "trigger" chosen data to be entered into to the "delivery data sheet". Once a delivery has been confirmed (by entering a date int...

Exchange 2003 Backup Restore of Public folder completes, but data isn't restored
Hi, I have an SBS2003 Server running SP1. I had a problem this morning where one of my users deleted a public folder. I had done a full normal backup onto an external hard drive the night before, so I didn't think this would be much of a big deal. This is how I did the restore: 1.. Dismounted the public folder store 2.. Selected the option, "this db can be overwritten by a restore" within the properties of the public folder store 3.. Fired up NTbackup, and selected to restore the Public Folder Store and Log files from Servername\Microsoft Information Store\F...

Chart and Data points
I am using Excel 2007. I keep stats for my son's football team. We would like to chart the distance that each play in the series goes. The football field starts on the "Zero" yard line and then goes to the 30 yard line(MID-FIELD), and then start back down towards the "Zero" yard line on the other end. We record the data in a spread sheet with columns for the yard line and then another for the distance. Example below, Yard Line Distance 25 yard line +5 yards 30 yard line -3 yards 27 yard line +4 yards 29 yard line ...

UPC data conversion
We receive Excel documents which contain information regarding the barcode number (item lookup codes) from our suppliers. Currently we import this information by copy and pasting the item lookup code into the relevant fields. Does anyone know of either a add-in or otherwise available to purchase that would allow for the data to be converted automatically. FYI: all the data involves Matrix creation with two (size and colour) you couldnt do better than talk to Davidson Richard, the data management utility does just what you want, and much more! saves us hours and hours of data inputt...

Combine varied data from separate workbooks into one chart
I want to combine varied data from separate workbooks into one chart. Data is collected at varied date intervals and level ranges (11/03-2/07) & (0-100). Data begins with 24k rows and is filtered to 1K. Individual charts display daily data labeled as varied mm/dd/yy on the ‘Category Axis’ and 0-40, 0-60 & 0-100 on the ‘Value Axis’. Adding additional ‘Series’ just gives one horizontal line. TIA Here are some guidelines: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://Pel...

referencing javascript function on button event
Hello. I have an asp:Button that in the click event I would like to have it run a javascript function (function ProteusListPrint()). I currently have the following in the click event; btnProteusListPrint.Attributes.Add("onclick", "ProteusListPrint()"); This is not working. Am I missing something or is this not the correct way to reference it in the click event of the button (C#)? Thanks... John JohnE wrote: > Hello. I have an asp:Button that in the click event I would like to have it > run a javascript function (function ProteusListPrint()). ...

Import Data from Access
I am running Power Point 2007 SP 2 MSO on a Windows XP Professional service pack 3. I am attemping to link data in a Access 2007 database (query) into a chart in Power Point. I can cut and paste the data into the chart but it only sees a few lines in the graphic display of the chart. When I insert a chart in the Excell spread sheet the grahics are displayed properly. The second feature is that I want this data to be dynamic (updated automatically). I have tried all the help issues but cannot seem to overcome this one issue. Can anyone offer me some assistance in this matter? -- ...

change worksheet data without changing chart
I am attempting to create a scatter plot chart in Excel that will not get modified each time I sort my Excel worksheet. Does anybody know how to "lock" the chart or export it so that it is no longer linked to the worksheet? Thanks!!! Here's how to unlink a chart from its data: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/DelinkChartData.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ shelly wrote: > I am attempting to create a scatter plot chart in Excel > that will not ge...

will formulas be lost when moving data in a worksheet?
I have a P & L that contains 3 years of info. I have to delete the oldest year (2007) and put in our actual numbers for year ending 2010. Will I lose all of the formulas when I delete all of the 2007 numbers? Is there an easier way to do this? Edit/ Goto/ Special/ Constants Delete those. -- David Biddulph "Renae" <Renae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:456322CE-EB1E-4616-8716-881CF545DC33@microsoft.com... >I have a P & L that contains 3 years of info. I have to delete the oldest > year (2007) and put in our actual numbers for y...

COUNTA function in VB
I can use the COUNTA function successfully within my worksheet to get the desired answer but I am having trouble using it in VB even though the help file says it can be used in macros. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA Phillip This is from an armature but I was having trouble using VLookup in macros and learned here that the syntax is: Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(...... Suspect that is the solution to your problem. Ed "Phillip Topping" <ptopping@tpg.com.au> wrote in message news:u6Nf1WfYDHA.1004@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I can use the COUNTA fun...

Message box with Combo box function
Is it possible to create a combo box within a message box i.e. whenthe user clicks on preview report a message box appears and says"which report do you want to open?" and a combo box displays thedifferent reports available with the user clicks, upon clicking therelevant report opensThanks * Asif wrote:> Is it possible to create a combo box within a message box i.e. when> the user clicks on preview report a message box appears and says> "which report do you want to open?" and a combo box displays the> different reports available with the user clicks, upon clickin...

Can we have a TVF call inside a Scalar function ?
I am using the following query select 'level' = case when dbo.function1 = 1 then ( case when ( dbo.function2(dbo.function3, 1) > 0) then 3 end ) end it is showing error "Cannot find either column "dbo" or the user-defined function or aggregate dbo.function3 " dbo.function3 is TVF. so i tried with this select 'level' = case when dbo.function1 = 1 then ( case when ( dbo.function2((select * from dbo.function3), 1) > 0) then 3 end ) end then i have "Only one expression can be specified in the select list w...

Need Help with Sumif Function including dates
Hi, I need some assistance with tracking my commissions that are due to be paid each month. The "Comm Due Date" is in column "C", rows 3 - 30 which list by date all of the Commissions Due to be paid and the "Comm Balance" is in column "H", rows 3 - 30 which has the Commission Balance due for each sale. I tried utilizing a formula from a post that I found from April '05 but for some reason I keep receiving a #NAME? error. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I want to find the total due by month so that as I add additional sale...

starting a data series in the middle of a chart
Hi. I have a chart that shows values from January thru December. The values from January to May are actual, but the values from June to December are projected. what I need to do is show the actual vakue from Jan to May which is easy. the hard part is starting the projected value at June. When i entered the data, the value for projected shows in the chart at January even though the table value shows it starting in June. I cannot figure this out. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks On Jun 15, 3:25=A0pm, pat67 <pbus...@comcast.net> wrote: > Hi. I have a chart that shows values from J...

how to use XPath function "ms:string-compare" in .NET
Hi, Can anyone point me why the following code is not working for me? Its giving me an error while executing "SelectNodes" ... I have strugled for almost one full day.. I am comaratively new to XSL and XSLT concepts. I appriciate any kind help. Thanks, Bhavin. CODE: ********************************************************************** Private Sub Save() Dim xmldocRoot As New XmlDocument() Dim xmlnodeChildNode As XmlNode Dim xmlnodeAttributeNode As XmlNode xmldocRoot.Load("C:\ACBD.XML") 'Dim xsltcon As Xml.Xsl.XsltContext Dim ns As New XmlNamespaceManager(xml...

how to format the data in a dataset
I am re-writing a vb script that queries an SQL server and then uses the recordset to generate an xml file. The xml file has a row-set schema with row as the element and the columns as attributes: <z:row ID="1" CapConDerivedName="AV_TOUCH_SCREEN_SOUND_LEVEL_ENABLED" DataStructureType="bool" EnumType="None" Unit="none" SetValue="0" DSTID="2" /> I am using C# and dataSet.WriteXml(fileName, XmlWriteMode.WriteSchema); The problem I am having is that WriteXml structures the column data as elements instead of attrib...

Trailing Stop
Hi, Anyone know how to simulate an automated "trailing stop"? I have a dat feed and monitor about 50 stocks. All other information is in plac within the spreadsheet. Thank -- kierc ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kierco's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2324 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37564 ...

Importing data #2
Importing data into customer, item, suppliers, and GL master files. This is a brand new company and I need to import the master files from another system. I am able to easily dump each file to excel, but how do I import into GP? -- Gino S. GPK Computers Gino, Usually you would use an import tool like Integration Manager or eConnect. If this is a one time import, you're probably better off with Integration Manager. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP "Gino@GPK" <gino@gpk.net.au> wrote in message news:5B6CAB1C-FA16-408A-8242-8B1B9E80B011@microsoft.com... > Impo...

Macro Record Stop Button
At one point, when recording a Macro, on my screen was a Macro Stop Record button. Some how I have turned this off. Does anyone know how to turn it back on? Hi Patrick, See Debra Dalgleish at: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#Stop --- Regards, Norman "Patrick Simonds" <ordnance1@comcast.net> wrote in message news:eSPi7FflFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > At one point, when recording a Macro, on my screen was a Macro Stop Record > button. Some how I have turned this off. Does anyone know how to turn it > back on? > Thanks for the speedy r...