Data Validation / Cell Entry

Hi

Is there a way I can force a user to make an entry in a cell without using
macros/code?

EG:
If the result of cell A1 = "XYZ" can I force them to make an entry in cell
B1. ( If cell A1 = "" then no entry is required in B1).

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
Steve

This won't force the user, but it will make it obvious.

Format C1 in nice bold red letters and put a formula in that cell like:

=if(and(a1="",b1<>""),"Please clear B1",if(a1="xyz",b1=""),
      "please put something in B1","")
(all one cell)

If xyz just meant anything (not blank), then:
=IF(AND(A1="",B1<>""),"Please clear B1",IF(AND(A1<>"",B1=""),
"please put something in B1",""))

--

Dave Peterson
0

i can't think of anyway to achieve this without using code .. any reason why
you don't want to go down that path?

Cheers
JulieD

"Steve Jones" <steve.jones@kingcomesofas.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Is there a way I can force a user to make an entry in a cell without using
> macros/code?
>
> EG:
> If the result of cell A1 = "XYZ" can I force them to make an entry in cell
> B1. ( If cell A1 = "" then no entry is required in B1).
>
> Hope that makes sense.
>
> Thanks
> Steve

0
JulieD1 (2295)
3/23/2005 2:33:28 PM
AFAIK, no. But you can black out the rest of the sheet
through conditional formatting and really annoy the user:

1. Select the range on your worksheet that the individual
needs to see / work with etc.
2. Go to Format > Conditional Formatting
3. Select "Formula Is" and put:
     =AND($A$1="XYZ",$B$1="")
4. Click on the Format radio button and format the
pattern as black.
5. Put this formula in C1:
     =IF(AND(A1="XYZ",B1=""),"Please Fill In B1","")
6. Format the font white in C1.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

0
jasonjmorin (551)
3/23/2005 2:40:47 PM
Thanks all for your answers.

I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something now.

Many thanks

Steve

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> This won't force the user, but it will make it obvious.
>
> Format C1 in nice bold red letters and put a formula in that cell like:
>
> =if(and(a1="",b1<>""),"Please clear B1",if(a1="xyz",b1=""),
>       "please put something in B1","")
> (all one cell)
>
> If xyz just meant anything (not blank), then:
> =IF(AND(A1="",B1<>""),"Please clear B1",IF(AND(A1<>"",B1=""),
> "please put something in B1",""))
>

> Steve Jones wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Is there a way I can force a user to make an entry in a cell without
using
> > macros/code?
> >
> > EG:
> > If the result of cell A1 = "XYZ" can I force them to make an entry in
cell
> > B1. ( If cell A1 = "" then no entry is required in B1).
> >
> > Hope that makes sense.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Steve
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Get drive letter for old slave hard drive while keeping data
Hello, My master hard disk has failed and I have successfully replaced it with a new one and reinstalled windows XP etc. Before the crash I had a second slave drive with some data I would like to keep on it. When I connect this drive, it shows up in disk management, but does not get assigned a drive letter. How can I get windows to assign a drive letter to the drive without formatting it and losing all of my data? Both drives are IDE drives, the master is jumpered to cable select and is on the master cable, the slave seems to have lost its jumper, or never had one, but sh...

Hyperlink via indirect cell reference

Twist Data?...
Hi all... I've got the following in a dataset: 19 30 1200 FI FI 20030906 36 19 30 1324 FI FI 20030906 36 and I want the following result: 19 30 1200, 1324 FI FI 20030906 26 Any guess on how to do this? thanks much!... Hmmm... Not quite clear: The data is arranged in columns, I assume It looks as if both items in the same column are the same, you want just one item, otherwise the one in the top row first, then the one from the bottom row. But what about the last 36s that should yield 26? Typo? Does the dataset have more columns or more rows or both? And how big is it?...

Rename Cell
How can I rename column A to read "bills" instead of the letter A? You can't. The closest you will get is to hide column headings, via Excel Option, and then create your own. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "shoe" <shoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBA970DF-D928-41EE-9565-4639E7D49BCE@microsoft.com... > How can I rename column A to read "bills" instead of the letter A? you cant change the headers or row labels but you can define you data as a list (or table) and the headings can then be used to refer...

merging 2 cells without losing data?

Create static text from cell reference

Transformation of data into columns

Cell Format #4

Getting contents of adjacent cells

Data Validation List not showing

How to sort calendar entries on "size"
I would like to remove large size calendar entries by being able to sort on "size". I am able to sort Inbox items on size but not calendar. My company's exchange server has email account size quota and a 3rd of that quota is being held up by calendar entries on the server side, so I would like to get rid of the unwanted past celndar entries that occupy portion of my account quota. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Umesh On 11/18/03 9:21 PM, in article 049b01c3ae43$d9cf01d0$a301280a@phx.gbl, "Umesh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I would...

Manual Entry of Puchase Order
We just upgraded to 2.0 and had been running 1.2 for a few years and only upgraded to fix a database problem. Now I have a new one. We put our purchase orders in manualy because it gives us more control of price changes, etc. The new purchase order screens have thrown my entry into a tailspin. Our main vendor has an invoice that is anywhere from 300 - 700 lines and in this new version, manual entry is almost impossible. Any suggestions?????? You can try TOP Import: http://www.retailhero.com/dynamics_rms_order_import.aspx You can either use a data collector to scan items or just simply f...

cell selection gone crazy on Excel 2003

Adding extra data options
Is there a way to customize CRM to allow for adding another heading? I would like to add a second field similar to topic and would like to call it type. Can you add extra data fileds and types in CRM 3.0? You can add extra data fields to an entity. Go to entities customization at setting area. -- Marco Amoedo Plain Concepts http://geeks.ms/blogs/marco/ "xxdcmast" escribió: > Is there a way to customize CRM to allow for adding another heading? I would > like to add a second field similar to topic and would like to call it type. > > Can you add extra data ...

Average of logic cells
I used a logic test to determine some levels from raw scores. For EG >120 =5, 119-110 = 4, etc. I now want to dtermine an average score of several of the the results from the logic tests but it doesnt seem to work. (AVG does not recognise cells with logic tests) Can anyone help, please? -- ckdkvk ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ckdkvk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29245 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489704 hi, ckdkvk ! > I used a logic test to determine so...

Cell References..
I have a 12 month rolling report with a seperate worksheet within th workbook which refers to the column containing current month's Numbers When I "Cut" Column C (which contains the oldest Month) and "insert column C between N & O it shifts my cells left and all I need to do i input all of the current Month Data into Column N. The formulas al remain intact and everything is peachy. Until I goto the Workshee that refers to the Current Month on the 12 month rolling report. My problem is that when I shift the columns on the "Report" workshee it chages the cell...

Use a VBA Macro inside an Excel Cell