Data List #2

In relation to an earlier question, I am looking for a way of creatin
box which displays the contents of a list, which when clicked on can b
copied to a current cell, but other items added to this list.

For example, in one spreadsheet a list of;
John
Paul
Peter

In another spreadsheet, a view of this, so that the values can easil
be copied over, but also the abaility to add another name.

Something like..

[Players]
| John   |
|  Paul  |
| Peter  |
[ADD NEW]

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Mic

Mich

Lookup data validation.

It is very straightforward and easy to creat.

HTH.

John

"mjs59 >" <<mjs59.1b8gf3@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> In relation to an earlier question, I am looking for a way of creating
> box which displays the contents of a list, which when clicked on can be
> copied to a current cell, but other items added to this list.
>
> For example, in one spreadsheet a list of;
> John
> Paul
> Peter
>
> In another spreadsheet, a view of this, so that the values can easily
> be copied over, but also the abaility to add another name.
>
> Something like..
>
> [Players]
> | John   |
> |  Paul  |
> | Peter  |
> ..
> [ADD NEW]
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Many thanks,
> Mich
>

> ---

jp1 (93)
8/19/2004 12:21:03 PM
You can use Data Validation to create a dropdown list. There are
instructions in Excel's help, and here:

You can use a list on a different sheet in the workbook, if you name the
range of cells that contains the list. To have the range expand
automatically as new items are added, you can use a dynamic range. There
are instructions here:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
8/19/2004 12:57:30 PM
Thanks very much for the help. I have got the dynamic validatio
working.

I may have missed it, but is there a method of, when in a cell wher
data validation is being used, if a new value is entered, this is the
automatically place onto the other sheet, and hence the list?

Many thanks,
Mic

There's a sample file here:

Under the heading 'Data Validation', look for 'Update Validation List'

mjs59 < wrote:
> Thanks very much for the help. I have got the dynamic validation
> working.
>
> I may have missed it, but is there a method of, when in a cell where
> data validation is being used, if a new value is entered, this is then
> automatically place onto the other sheet, and hence the list?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html