cut and paste format problem

I can format a cell to say be text, but then when I cut and paste my
information (from a word document), it will not remember that I wanted text,
or at least will still cut off the zero.

Example, data is 040415, when I cut and paste it into excel it puts 40415.

0
jenhow (4)

jen

Try cutting from Word then in Excel, Paste Special>Text

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:34:24 -0800, jenhow <jenhow@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I can format a cell to say be text, but then when I cut and paste my
>information (from a word document), it will not remember that I wanted text,
>or at least will still cut off the zero.
>
>Example, data is 040415, when I cut and paste it into excel it puts 40415.

0
Gord
11/18/2004 6:15:49 PM
Format that cell, or the whole column, as follows: Format-Cells, Number tab,
select Custom, and type 000000 in the box to the right. Then any cell
beginning with 0, 00, etc. will have six digits.

"jenhow" <jenhow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can format a cell to say be text, but then when I cut and paste my
> information (from a word document), it will not remember that I wanted
> text,
> or at least will still cut off the zero.
>
> Example, data is 040415, when I cut and paste it into excel it puts 40415.

0
roneville (91)
11/18/2004 6:16:06 PM
Excel is interpreting your data as numeric and automatically ignores the
leading 0s. Try typing the number with a leading 0 into the cell and the same
thing will happen.

To prevent this from happening, you need to format your cells as text. From
the Format menu select Cells, click the Number tab, from the Category list
select Text, OK.

Hope this helps,

Francis Hayes (The Excel Addict)
www.TheExcelAddict.com

"jenhow" wrote:

> I can format a cell to say be text, but then when I cut and paste my
> information (from a word document), it will not remember that I wanted text,
> or at least will still cut off the zero.
>
> Example, data is 040415, when I cut and paste it into excel it puts 40415.

After you have your cells formatted as Text, paste your data, using Paste
Special, Text.

"Francis Hayes (The Excel Addict)" wrote:

> Excel is interpreting your data as numeric and automatically ignores the
> leading 0s. Try typing the number with a leading 0 into the cell and the same
> thing will happen.
>
> To prevent this from happening, you need to format your cells as text. From
> the Format menu select Cells, click the Number tab, from the Category list
> select Text, OK.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Francis Hayes (The Excel Addict)
> www.TheExcelAddict.com
>

> "jenhow" wrote:
>
> > I can format a cell to say be text, but then when I cut and paste my
> > information (from a word document), it will not remember that I wanted text,
> > or at least will still cut off the zero.
> >
> > Example, data is 040415, when I cut and paste it into excel it puts 40415.

format changes when copying from one cell to another
I'm sure this is simple, but it is not clear to me... I am copying the contents of a group of cells that exist on one worksheet to another. In Sheet2, I tell cell A1 that it should equal Sheet1's A1 value. That works fine. But if the cell is blank on Sheet1, it comes up as "0" on Sheet2. I figured it was probably assuming numeric formatting, but when I right-click > format cell on both Sheet1 and Sheet2, both show up as "general", so why would Sheet2 take a blank value and populate it with "0" ?? I gather than you are putting a formula in one...

Paste Special Changes Content
Greetings - I am attempting to copy and link, via Past Special, a group of rows within the same workbook. When I do, all the empty cells are populated with zeros. I am using Windows 200 and Office XP. Thanks in advance, Bill When you paste special|Links, you end up with a formula like: =x99 If x99 is empty, then excel will show a 0. But you can change your formula to look like this: =if(x99="","",x99) (if x99 is empty, then make the cell look empty, else just show what's in x99.) Bill wrote: > > Greetings - I am attempting to copy and link, via Pas...

Format Issue of Windows Mail and M.S. Group
Hi: When clicking to open any mails including this site, MS Newsgroup, top right pane of 'X' part is not visible. In the past, I used 'Shove-It' program that was found on the web-site, priced $15 that corrected this issue. However, this program is no longer effective, thus it went back to the original format, .... not fully opening content of mail of right side of pane, although I can read any mails by using 'maximizing bvutton' to open in full. Any imputs on this, above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, "Winter10" <Winter10No...

Date format in a report
The date is formatted in my table in yyyy/mmm/dd. In one report I need to run for another organization the format needs to be in dd/mmm/yyyy format. How can I change the way it displays in the report? I do not want to change it in the table as I generally want the format to be yyyy/mmm/dd. -- Charlie You can simply use either the format property for the control or you can use the Format() if you need to set the format to something that doesn't already exist. Format([YourDataFieldName],"dd/mmm/yyyy") -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault http://www.carda...

Reformat data to vertical format
Here is what I am trying to do. http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/totalcontrolproducts_OLD/download/images/Untitled-1.gif I have about a thousand records that I need in a vertical format with normal shared field name. Any suggestions -- Psydwaz ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Psydwaze's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2437 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37965 see Creating a Spreadsheet from Database data (#dbdata) http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm...

mail sending problem
Hi , I am very new in the exchange server just now I have deployed Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 at my organization now i have some problem in that . I am able to send mail outside the domain except yahoo .whenever I am sending mail from my exchange mail id to any yahoo mail id it is showing me mail has been sent but on yahoo id it is not delivering even I am not getting the DFR, second I wants to know that can we take the backup of single mail box (boxs) and please tell me step by step how can we take backup (at least the location ) Thanks in Advance Madi The most probable reason is t...

Outlook Web Access attachment problem
We have a program that will generate a .snp file and then email it to whatever recipient it needs to go to. If they receive the email in Outlook it will allow them to open the file properly with the Snapshot viewer. However, if they go to the same email in OWA and try to save the attachment, it attempts to save it as an .mdb file. Why would OWA ignore the original extension and try to give it a different one? "Joe Giddings" <j_nospam_giddings@thehammocksource.com> wrote in news:jI9gd.11726$ta5.6952@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net: > We have a program that will genera...

Outlook OM : Method Restrict() has problems with parentheses
I'm trying to filter for a specific name using; olItems.Restrict("[From] = John Doe()"); Notice the parentheses in the string. If the string contains parentheses in it, I get the following exception. An unhandled exception of type 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException' occurred in ioemail.dll Additional information: Condition is not valid. How do I get Restrict to work with parentheses? Answer: olItems.Restrict("[From] = 'John Doe()'"); >-----Original Message----- >I'm trying to filter for a specific name using; >olItems.Res...

format negative dollars
We have 2 computers in this office, both with Office XP On one we get ($ 4.00) on the other we get -$ 4.00 This format seems to vary from file to files. Is there a way to set the default on Excel to ($ 4.00) ? Thanks Doug Doug, It might help to check the Regional Settings in the Control Panel (I assume your using windows). It has settings for currency and number displays which will affect excel. Check if yours and your co-workers settings are the same. Dan E "doug loewen" <doug@aacropolishomes.com> wrote in message news:004f01c38c25$5c483320$a401280a@phx.gbl... > W...

outlook 2003 inbox format
How can I eliminate the "Today", "Yesterday", "Last Week", etc? I much prefer the look of Outlook 2000. Thank you View > Arrange By > Show in groups "Trng Administrator" <Trng Administrator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49639DAB-7738-4951-B6AC-6A35AD2862FD@microsoft.com... > How can I eliminate the "Today", "Yesterday", "Last Week", etc? I much > prefer the look of Outlook 2000. > > Thank you neo [mvp outlook] wrote: > View > Arrange By > Show in groups That...

Pasting Graphs as Pictures in Excel
In an attempt to save file size, I would like to use paste special to past Excel graphs as pictures within Excel. I know you can paste special as pictures within PPT, but is it possible to do it within Excel???? Not sure if that can be done, what I do is cop the graph, open mspaint paste, select it again copy and paste back into excel, it does it as an image -- -John Please rate when your question is answered to help us and others know what is helpful. "andy.hogan@gmail.com" wrote: > In an attempt to save file size, I would like to use paste special to > past Excel gra...

Duplicate entries & Conditional Formatting
Is there a formula indicate duplicate data on 2 different worksheets? I want the font to change to bold. Thanks. Yes, provided it is a named range within the same workbook. Select the cells and Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula Is> =COUNTIF(MyRange,A2)>0 Format for the change if TRUE. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "hmm" <hmm@hmm.com> wrote in message news:3FCCCF2F.42E759CF@hmm.com... > Is there a formula indicate duplicate data on 2 different worksheets? I > want the font to change to bold. > > Thanks. > ...

Incoming mail server problem
I use supanet for the internet and recently had to clear off a load of viruses and worms from my computer. Computer is clean now. I've run up to date spybot. adaware and cleaned all viruses with Mcaffee internet security as well as running stinger. Sasser, and W32 pate.b were included. Have also completed all windows updates. Everything is working fine now except my email. When I restart the computer my incoming mail server keeps changing from pop.supanet.com to a strange number. 9eg 17.02.01.10 or something similar) It also changes the user name from 3612 to 3612@supanet.com (It adds su...

Windows Welcome Screen Login Looping Problem
Up until now no startup problems whatsoever with my system. Today, I press the start button and it boots fine to the Windows' Welcome Screen. When I click on my account icon (no password ever entered) it tries to login (I see my desktop for about 4-5 seconds) but it comes back to the same Windows' Welcome Screen after about 5-10 seconds. My significant other also has an account icon and when she tries to login from the welcome screen she can't get pass the screen either and gets the same 5-10 seconds looping problem that happens to me. System specs: Dell Deminsio...

Problems performing a restore to a SAN drive
We recently move our message stores to SAN. I've tried to perform a restore to a recovery storage group on the SAN and am not able to do it. We use Ultrabac as our backup application, but I've tried NTBackup also and am getting the following errors in the App logs: Information Store (3576) Callback function call ErrESECBRestoreGetDestination ended with error 0xC7FE1F42 Database not found. and Failed to find a database to restore to from the Microsoft Active Directory. Storage Group specified on the backup media is e0d4e0af-f91a-490d-9b40-47e27b9fb714. Database speci...

Powerpoint with Excel formatted information
My team has an excel file with Text and Icons in a status report format. We use it to copy and insert paste into Powerpoint. After copying into Powerpoint, I try to select it and edit but powerpoint gives an error that says: "There isn't enough memory available to read the Excel file" Other team members use this same excel template and powerpoint and they can edit the information after it is copied to powerpoint. And I can use their files and they work fine. Only one team member has this issue so somehow this person's excel file is using a massi...

Pasting Diagonally
How do I paste text from a column into a diagonal line of cells (i.e. A1, B2, C3, etc.)? Additionally (and this may be related), how do I get the cursor to move to a diagonal cell after an entry? (as opposed to down or to the side) There's nothing built into excel that allows you to paste on the diagonal. You could have a macro that prompts you for the first range and the top left cell of the second range and does the work for you, though. le_s wrote: > > How do I paste text from a column into a diagonal line of cells (i.e. A1, B2, > C3, etc.)? Additionally (and this may...

XMLA .NET connection problem
Hi, After install msxml 4.0 and XMLASDK 1.1, i proceed to configure the datasource.xml file, as follow: <DataSource> <DataSourceName>FoodMart 2000</DataSourceName> <DataSourceDescription>Microsoft Analysis Server 2000 on local machine</DataSourceDescription> <URL>http://localhost/xmla/msxisapi.dll</URL> <DataSourceInfo>Provider=MSOLAP.2;Data Source=md001144</DataSourceInfo> <ProviderName>Microsoft XML for Analysis</ProviderName> <ProviderType> <TDP/> <MDP/> <DMP/> </ProviderType>...

Help with cells auto formatting
Hi, I have posted a similar question before however I never really got this sorted so sorry for repeating myself. Basically I use two spreadsheets daily at work all with various information on and various formats in each Column. My problem is when I close the spreadsheet and reopen it the cells that are formatted as 'general' or 'number' turn into Euro currencies. Does anyone know why this happens or how I can stop it? The spreadsheets aren't stored locally they are stored on a serve that only myself and my boss can get onto and we both have the same p...

Problems with DATE data type
Hi!!! I've got a little problem with the next macro in Excel. The problem is that I must look for some information in a data bas using as filter a specific day an hour in the year. I get the date and the hour using a form and then the macro calle "Busqueda" receives the value. I've programmed the macro using MSQuery just to see the necessary cod and the problem has appeared when I've tried to include the para called "Dia" in the SQL code. I've tried using " & Dia & " but it doesn't work and I don't know ho to include my param...

protect formatting #3
I have a shared workbook with many worksheets in it that many people need to fill in. How can I protect the formatting of it so that they cannot change it. Also when they copy and paste things into the worksheets I would like the format to revert to how I have set it?? Thanks! ...

Publisher 2003
I'm attempting to print a calendar and I keep getting the message, "Cannot load the printer driver." I have no idea what that means other than I'm unable to print my calendar. Anyone have any ideas? I get the same message whenever I try to print a card I've created. HELP! -- The computer has been chucked out the picture window and the birds are nesting in it. *sigh* Merrie wrote: > I'm attempting to print a calendar and I keep getting the message, > "Cannot load the printer driver." I have no idea what that means > other than I'm una...

Number Format
Is this available/possible? The difference between engineering and Scientific is that engineering is always in the form of "11.11En where "n" is a multiple of 3. Thanks, Bill Hi AFAIK this is not possible in Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Bill Allen" <ballense@cox.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1eq6d.26462$7k.7198@okepread05... > Is this available/possible? > The difference between engineering and Scientific is that engineering is > always in the form of "11.11En where "n" is a multiple of 3. > > Thanks, &g...

Prevent conditional formatting from being override
E.g When I copy a cell (sheetname = "Main" with normal data + comment) to another worksheet cell (sheetname = "test") with conditional formatting , the conditional formatting is gone. How to prevent it? Paste value only? Yep - If you can't protect the cell then you need to use edit / paste special / values or formulas etc -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�------------------------------�---------------- It's easier to beg forgivenes...

conditional formatting not working in every cell
I have a worksheet that has conditional formatting set for an grade that is below 95 to turn red. The total worksheet has 160 entries and the formatting works on most of the cells except 4 vells show a grade of 95 and its in red. There are several other cells that are at 95 and are not red. I did a paste special across the worksheet, I have also tried to change the cell itself and I still get the same problem. Any way to fix this? Is it possible that your CF refers to the cell above or below the actua cell? i.e conditional formatting in B2 looks in B1 or B3 Something to look into. Re...