cut and paste filenames from explorer window

How can I cut and paste a filename from an explorer window
into an excel spreadsheet.

david

Select the file in Explorer, then click on it again - as if you're about to
rename it. That allows you to right-click and Copy and left-click and Paste
in Excel.

Andy.

"david" <david.champon@comcast.net> wrote in message
> How can I cut and paste a filename from an explorer window
> into an excel spreadsheet.

0
andy2763 (218)
9/16/2003 3:50:07 PM
Hi david
You could try this in a cell on your worksheet

=cell("filename")
(this is atually "filename") ie type "filename"

Mathew
"david" <david.champon@comcast.net> wrote in message
> How can I cut and paste a filename from an explorer window
> into an excel spreadsheet.

---

mpb1 (60)
9/16/2003 4:31:47 PM
There are a lot of shareware/freeware options that allow you to grab the file
list from windows explorer.

I search www.shareware.com and found this one (untried, though):

http://download.com.com/3000-2248-7706254.html

Another way is to get to a DOS prompt and traverse to your folder.

Then type:

dir > dir.txt

Then inside excel, file|open that dir.txt.  You'll see the data import wizard
and you can parse the file into nice columns.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Paste links, changed filename
I have created 3 exel 97 Files. Each File has approx 30 sheets. One of them is a source file. The other 2 use file1 data using paste link(paste special). At some stage I have changed the names of the files and now when I open them it asks the usual question " do you want to update linked information", Iclick "yes" ~ then the computer wants me to select the source file. Before, it just started straight into the file I wanted ~ how can i resolve this( with as little effort as possible)? Try hitting no, then do Edit / Links / Change Source, save the workbook and hopef...

XL 2K Paste special problems
I have a client with Excel 2000 (Win NT). Her PC just got rebuilt and now when she does a paste special in Excel instead of seeing a choice of all, formulas, etc... she sees options like you'd see in Word (i.e. object, etc...). Does anyone know of an option that might fix that? In the meantime I've asked for a reinstall, but if I could save them the work, they'd appreciate it. Thanks, CB Sounds like she didn't COPY cells, but perhaps copied a bitmap image or a web part,and Excel couldn't paste non-excel source. Try this to see if Excel is working "OK": sel...

Sorting and Grouping Window has stopped popping up
Access sort and group option has stopped working for some reason. Re-installed Access, no help. Any ideas? I have to build a new report, using the report wizard, to access the grouping and sorting options. It's quite a handicap. sdcasch, When you say has stopped popping up, there is a button on the Menu Bar that will hide/unhide that dialog... Has that stopped working? -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "sdcasch" <sdcasch@disc...

internet explorer 7 start up
I just updated my IE to 7 and it comes up with a web page to choose my settings. I do this and save my settings but the same page keeps coming up everytime I open IE. This is not my home page either. thx Welcome to the Great Plains newsgroup. You might find more help on the IE newsgroup. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "d-dubayou" wrote: > I just updated my IE to 7 and it comes up with a web page to choose my > s...

NG for Windows Mail?
Is there a newsgroup for "Windows Mail" ? Michael microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail "Michael Moser" <michael.nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in message news:6CFD2FBE-3D7A-4835-9617-399A2587CE9B@microsoft.com... > Is there a newsgroup for "Windows Mail" ? > > Michael > > ...

Managing Popup Reminder Windows in OL2000
Hello everybody. I get a lot of popup reminder windows because I set a lot of follow-up flags on my email messages. Sometimes I have a whole stack of them cascaded on my screen. If I don't want to deal with them right away I minimize them. My question is: Is there any way (option, rule, VBA, whatever) to have these reminder windows appear automatically minimized? Thanks in advance for any help. DDM ...

RMSHQ on Windows Server 2008
Anybody have experience running the RMS Headquarders Server & Client on a Windows Server 2008 operating system? We are looking to upgrade our application server to Windows Server 2008. On this server i would need to be able to run the RMS HQ Server and the HQ Client application. Just curious if anybody has good or bad news about running these applications on Windwos Server 2008. Thanks in advance for your feedback. -- Regards, Andy Miller DirectPOS - Boise, Idaho andym@directpos.com (208) 376-8121 x244 www.directpos.com I'm not sure yet but we run HQ v1.2 and just p...

Copy / Paste of Floorplan shapes in Visio Automation problems
Hi All I am working on a .Net (FW1.1) application that has a hosted Visio drawing control. Copy and paste from most existing Visio drawings to this hosted control works fine. The exception to this rule is Visio floorplans, where copying and pasting of most shapes is OK, but walls go totally screwed up (all over the screen, nothing like their original shape, etc). Our client needs to be able to copy and paste the floorplans into this container control without the walls breaking; they have a large investment already made i.t.o. existing floorplans. Page scaling and size is the same as the exi...

Ability to merge windows into tabs and move a tab into a new windo
I often find myself wishing that I could do two things with IE: 1) Take two IE windows, each with one or more tabs, and merge them together into a single window with the tabs from both. This would help reduce clutter in my taskbar. 2) Take a tab and convert it into an IE window of its own as often times I want to be able to see two web sites at the same time (side by side), which I can't seem to do if they are tabs in the same window. Either that or some sort of 2 page view where you can see two tabs side by side and can navigate each separately. Would like to se...

Override Paste menu in CEdit
How do I override the Paste command in a CEdit control? Basically I want to look at the clipboard and if it is a certain format, paste it in a special way, otherwise I just want to call the normal paste. I have subclassed the CEdit, and tried to hook it in place of the regular CEdit, but my OnEditPaste method doesn't seem to be getting called. Jonathan Arnold "Jonathan Arnold" <jdarnold_online@insors_comm.com> wrote in message news:%23czgzh$REHA.3344@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > How do I override the Paste command in a CEdit control? Basically > I want to look at the c...

previewing windows files in Outlook
Is there a way to preview or auto preview Windows documents using Outlook? I have placed shortcuts to various windows folders on my Outlook bar. When I open the folders in Outlook, there is no AutoPreview or preview pane feature. I would like to view these files in Outlook without having to open each file. I use Outlook 2000. Peter Henderson <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to preview or auto preview Windows > documents using Outlook? I have placed shortcuts to > various windows folders on my Outlook bar. When I open > the folders in...

Can an item you have purchased in the past become a BOM?
We are currently purchasing an item from a vendor (PO history, order history etc) that we are planning on manufacturing ourselves in the next month. I've been tasked to see if there will be any issues with using the same part number we currently ORDER from a vendor to change it into a BOM in the future. I've tested this out in our test company and cannot find any reason why we cannot use the same part number - we simply would not be able to ORDER that part any longer from anyone. Has anyone else ever gone through this process before? any issues? OR is it better to give this i...

How do you obtain a Window Handle?
I am a beginner and having a very difficult time with some tasks. Does anyone have a COMPLETE example of how to obtain the handle of a Child window in VC++ 6? All the examples I have found contain incomplete information. It is as-if one needed to know the handle to the window to obtain the handlt to the window. I've tried ever process I can find in my MSDN Library and they all seen to compare with a cat chasing it's own tail. Take a look at the CWnd::GetWindow() member function. You should be able to pass GW_CHILD and then GW_NEXT in a loop to get all the child windows of a given...

windows Xp KB 979909 and KB 982168 updates don't insall
Windows xp updates KB 979909 and KB 982168 continually show up in my notification area, I click to install them it says they have been installed. Yet I continually get a notification that these updates are to be installed. I checked for installed programs and they are never shown. this has been going of for two days now. does anyone have a idea what is going on? TIA See the "How to obtain help" section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979909 For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY (1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and...

Taste these package for Internet Explorer
--tlfepnlllnr Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="bnuotgfdtwfqmjjvh"; type="multipart/alternative" --bnuotgfdtwfqmjjvh Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="rzvxecduf" --rzvxecduf Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now t...

Copy/Paste to Match Destination Formatting -- BY DEFAULT
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel As a long time PC Word user, I have been accustomed to the large amount of preference customization that is available. One CRUCIAL (for me) customization option in PC Word is the ability to set the default action when pasting from one program (the web or Acrobat) to Word. <br><br>By default, both Word 2008 (mac) and Word 2007 (PC) keep the source formatting when pasting between programs. To me that makes no sense, because 9 out of 10 times you don't want your word document to have many differ...

Human Resources / Payroll Main Window
When clicking on the Human Resources / Payroll button on the left side it doesn't fully present the main Human Resources /Payroll window. For the other modules it works fine. Does someone know of a work around to correct this? Thanks, Kevin It's a known issue. Here's a blog to walk you through fixing it. http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2009/03/18/hr-payroll-navigation-pane-issue.aspx -- Charles Allen, MVP "Kevin" wrote: > When clicking on the Human Resources / Payroll button on the left side it > doesn't...

How to fix script error in internet explorer
An error has ocurred in the script on this page Line 298 Char1 Error class not registered Code 0 URL Outlook Today Do you want to continue scripts on this page Yes or No edie said the following on 3/13/2005 1:13 AM: > URL Outlook Today Did you modify the Outlook Today page? -- Alex Yu http://mucha.us/blogs/alex/ This posting represents my own opinion, and in no way claims to represent the views of Microsoft Corporation. This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. T...

How to dete items in 'Recent Document' window
When one clicks on the office button, a window pops up showing a long list of previous opened Excel files. I would like to delete those items that reference a CD drive. How do I do that? ed See the Ribbon Tips section on this page (Dictator examples) There is a workbook that you can download with a example to disable the list http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "OldManEd" <econgleton@snet.net> wrote in message news:O%23LyAb5jIHA.5956@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > When one clicks on the office button, a window p...

Split window
Is there a way when you split your window to scroll vertically only on one side of the split and not the other? Thanks, Josh -- jspizman ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jspizman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30694 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=504530 No, but try Window>New Window then Window>Arrange>Vertical. You now have two windows that will scroll independently. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:51:20 -0600, jspizman <jspizman.2...

I-9 window needs a record notepad
The I-9 window in DynamicsGP HR does not have a record note field. Often times employers wish to attach work verification information or documents and are unable to do this on this window. -- Patrick Anderson, SPHR HR and Payroll Consultant JAT Computer Consulting ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then c...

Problem with CSocket.Create() on windows 2003
Hii i'm creating a CSocket object and calling its Create Method in a DLL and call this dll from an asp page..but i get an exception on Create(). This only happens with Windows 2003. the code is working fine with windows 2000 server. Also when i created a simple MFC dialog based application (exe) and called .Create() for it there..it worked fine even on 2003. Can someone please tell me if there is any issue with the CSockets in windows 2003 calling in a dll and how can it be resolved. I've also tried using CAsyncSocket but the problem persists. Any help is appreciable. Thanx and regard...

Address Window not performing search
I inadvertantly downloaded third party software that kept taking me through their site for internet searches. After 2 hours I finally found the software hidden in my files and I deleted them....I tried the uninstall but it wouldn't work. Now I can't perform searches using the address window on my browser. I've already reinstalled Internet Explorerer...didn't help. Any ideas? Thanks, Allyson This is the wrong newsgroup for this question, but I'll do what I can. I'd be willing to bet it's something like xupiter or something like that. It has a nasty habit...

Not able to open .xls outside of excel (via Explorer or Outlook attachment)
After upgrading to MS Outlook 2003.....when I find my .xls on my hard-drive using Windows Explorer & then double-click on the file....Excel opens, but does not populate with the desired file. Similar situation with an .xls file attached to an email (even one I sent), I double-click on the attached file's icon & Excel starts, but I get an error on Outlook that the file could not be located. I can then go to Excel/File/Open & choose the file & it opens with no problems. Word .doc files, .pdf's etc. open normally from outside their programs. I have cleared & ...

Paste Function disabled
Hi All, I really need the help of the experts amongst you all! I have an excel format which we use for reporting to HQ. But now I cannot paste data in anymore if the original data was copied from an external Excel workbook. Any idea? So If I do copy and Paste in the same workbook the Paste- function is enabled. If I do copy in Workbook X and I want to paste it in the excel format for HeadQuarter the Paste ( and Paste Special ) function is disabled. I would appreciate your help!!!!! Thanks, Charmy I would guess that there is a macro running when you change workbooks to do the paste t...