Custom list limited to 255 characters? (XL 2007)

I have a client who claims that she could create longer custom lists in Excel
2003 compared to the limit of 255 characters that she managed to Exceed when
trying to regain her customizations in the newly installed Office.

It seems as if she is right? Anyone else who had this problem or can point
me towards a better solution?
--
Best regards

Malin D
Office consultant/Trainer

EXCEL 2007

Hit F1 to launch the F1 Help Facility

Type in:-

EXCEL Specifications And Limits

 - in the Search box then hit Search.

Inspect the topic.

Ctrl-F to lauch Find then, in the find field, type in:-

custom

This returns a FEATURE of Custom functions giving a MAXIMUM LIMIT of:-

Limited by available memory

"Malin D" wrote:

> I have a client who claims that she could create longer custom lists in Excel
> 2003 compared to the limit of 255 characters that she managed to Exceed when
> trying to regain her customizations in the newly installed Office.
>
> It seems as if she is right? Anyone else who had this problem or can point
> me towards a better solution?
> --
> Best regards
>
> Malin D
> Office consultant/Trainer
But this is not a custom function it is a built in list? What I am trying to
figure out is if this limit is a new limit in XL2007 or if it was limited to
the same size in 2003 (which my rather skilled client claims.)

I have scanned the entire limit page in the help feature but I don't think
that this feature is listed.

Thanks for your help so far.
--
Best regards

Malin D
Office consultant/Trainer

"trip_to_tokyo" wrote:

> EXCEL 2007
>
> Hit F1 to launch the F1 Help Facility
>
> Type in:-
>
> EXCEL Specifications And Limits
>
>  - in the Search box then hit Search.
>
> Inspect the topic.
>
> Ctrl-F to lauch Find then, in the find field, type in:-
>
> custom
>
> This returns a FEATURE of Custom functions giving a MAXIMUM LIMIT of:-
>
> Limited by available memory
>
> If my comments have helped please hit Yes.
>

> "Malin D" wrote:
>
> > I have a client who claims that she could create longer custom lists in Excel
> > 2003 compared to the limit of 255 characters that she managed to Exceed when
> > trying to regain her customizations in the newly installed Office.
> >
> > It seems as if she is right? Anyone else who had this problem or can point
> > me towards a better solution?
> > --
> > Best regards
> >
> > Malin D
> > Office consultant/Trainer
I don't think anyone understands the problem or what you are trying to do.

--
Regards
Dave Hawley
"Malin D" <MalinD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> But this is not a custom function it is a built in list? What I am trying
> figure out is if this limit is a new limit in XL2007 or if it was limited
> the same size in 2003 (which my rather skilled client claims.)
>
> I have scanned the entire limit page in the help feature but I don't think
> that this feature is listed.
>
> Thanks for your help so far.
> --
> Best regards
>
> Malin D
> Office consultant/Trainer
>

> "trip_to_tokyo" wrote:
>
>> EXCEL 2007
>>
>> Hit F1 to launch the F1 Help Facility
>>
>> Type in:-
>>
>> EXCEL Specifications And Limits
>>
>>  - in the Search box then hit Search.
>>
>> Inspect the topic.
>>
>> Ctrl-F to lauch Find then, in the find field, type in:-
>>
>> custom
>>
>> This returns a FEATURE of Custom functions giving a MAXIMUM LIMIT of:-
>>
>> Limited by available memory
>>
>> If my comments have helped please hit Yes.
>>

>> "Malin D" wrote:
>>
>> > I have a client who claims that she could create longer custom lists in
>> > Excel
>> > 2003 compared to the limit of 255 characters that she managed to Exceed
>> > when
>> > trying to regain her customizations in the newly installed Office.
>> >
>> > It seems as if she is right? Anyone else who had this problem or can
>> > point
>> > me towards a better solution?
>> > --
>> > Best regards
>> >
>> > Malin D
>> > Office consultant/Trainer

0
ozgrid
4/29/2010 9:08:58 AM
I created a string of 369 characters -- 10 elements of 36 characters each plus
the 9 comma separators.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
ABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
ACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
AEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
AFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
AJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

I used xl2003 and could create that custom list successfully via the
Tools|Options|Custom Lists dialog box.

I loaded up xl2007 and tested it with the same stuff (excel
options|Popular|create custom list dialog).  It failed and gave me a warning
that only the first 255 characters would be kept.

So the limit sure looks like it changed between versions.

==========

But that doesn't mean she should give up.

I could still make a custom list longer than 255 in xl2007 (and xl2003, by the
way) by picking it up from a range.

--

Dave Peterson
0

outlook contact list sync problem
And it happened again. AFter having changed the save as for each contact manually it worked fine for a couple of weeks and suddenly, its crewed up all again and shows, "Smith, Tom" in outlook, on ppc but funy with my sony ericsson phone stays correct. nobody else having this kind of problems? -------- hello, I've been using Outlook for quite some time and it worked fine. My set-up: At work an english Outlook 2002 At home a german Outlook 2000 To sync I use an IPAQ PPC with Active Sync 3.7 I've now installed bluetooth support and sync even with my SE mobile phone wit...

Drop-down list #5

ignore list
I have importet some contact data into mscrm, When I want to add these contacts to a marketing list (add marketing list members / use advanced find/ add all selected members), the adding stops with an error. I have done a trace during the error (occurs everytime I want to add these contacts) which shows me the following error: [2009-08-24 11:15:36.778] Process:OUTLOOK |Thread:5884 |Category: Unmanaged.Platform |User: PlatformUser |Level: Error | Found crmId {319C876A-CC39-DC11-9F61-0030485C3892} in ignore list. Update notification will be ignored Function: CItemHelper<struct Outlook::_Co...

correct total column in filtered list
Dear friends, I have a list(table in 2007) as bellow Serial ItemCode Import Export Remain 1 10 20 20 2 20 10 10 3 10 30 40 4 30 10 50 5 20 20 30 note how last column (remain) is calculated (remain=up remain+import-expor) if i filter (itemcode) for 10 the remain column value not calculated on new condition (correct ...

Using rules wizard to send to a list of emails addys in BCC
i need to setup an automatic mailing of a newsletter that i receive, to be forwarded to a list of emails addresses, where the emails are inserted into the BCC line, and not the TO line. I do not want my clients to see each other's emails. thanks! No, natively you can't. Even when you use a template to reply with and fill in the BCC field it won't work. It is even worse this way; the rule gets deactivated completely. But programmatically it is possible although not supported by Microsoft. For more info; http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/autobcc.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [M...

OWA. CA's. and Exchange 2007

Office 2007 forms

Outlook 2007 addresses
How can I find the list of addresses I have sent emails to? When you start a new email you can put a letter in the To line and list will come up. Where is that list? How can I print it out? Thanks Matt that is the autocomplete cache. You would need a utility to print it out. http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20040621.htm http://www.slipstick.com/problems/nicknamecache.asp -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Out...

Outlook 2007 Install gone wrong

"Customize Outlook Today" does not respond
The "Customize Outlook Today" button no longer functions. I use Outlook 2000 on two separate computers. the Customize feature works on neither one. They both formerly functioned perfectly. I have noted a few other postings with the same issue, but there have been no responses. Is it possible that one of the updates to Outlook 2000 has rendered this feature inoperable? Since I keep my programs up to date, that is the only guess I have. I have the exact same problem on more than one pc. I have been searching for an answer all day. I just decided to start using the opti...

pulling certain characters from a string of text
I need to look up "certain critera" within a string of characters, then return that "certain criterea" to a new column. Some examples of a strings of characters may look like these: K5J091509001 Sample PO#S881009 K55sample PO CarrieRJR TJ5 My "Certain Critera" I have listed on another sheet, named "REP ID" K5J S88 K55 RJR TJ5 How do I pull out the 3 characters of "Certain Criterea" from the string of text and copy or enter it into a new column? Hi, =left(a1,3) "SaraMack" wrote: > I need to look up "c...

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

limit the number of outgoing messages
Hi, who can I limit the number of concurrent outgoing messages? for example: if I have a queue of 1000 messages, how can I force exchange to send only 50 messages at a time? ...

Custom reports #3

Refreshing list boxes
Hi, I have created a database so that mulpile users can add detailss to the table - tblDetails from the form frmDetails or amend details in form frmAmend. I have a list box on the main page frmMain which has a list box lstSearch which shows all the records in the database. When users add new record to the database other users cannot see the added records unless the move to another section in the datbase and the return to the main page thus refreshing the list box. Can anyone tell me if there is a way I can put a "Refresh" button on the main page that updated the list box if the use...

Character Length in a column
I have a column where every cell must have 14 characters. Lets say have the name Angel. I need 9 more charcters. Next cell down have the word cake. I need 10 more charcters.How do I automatciall insert the spaces I need to have 14 charcters. HELP PLEASE!!!!! GOIN NUTS ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements One way: Do you care about what characters are added? I'l...

Share Calender in Outlook 2007
In our organization, we have changed the the default data file path. This makes the "Share a Calender" option disappear. First of all, is there any anything to work around this? Secondly, if there is nothing that can be done in the above case, I tried sharing the calender by publishing it in Office Online. Apparently the calender is shared but when I sent it to my colleague's work e-mail address, he is unable to access it. It asks for authentication and cannot contact the web server when he enters his credentials. How to make this work? I don't want to go sharing my W...

Excel 2007 Line Chart
Hello, Is it possible to configure a line chart in Excel 2007 to ignore the intervals and graph straight to the next value. For example if I have the periods: Jan with the value 1000 Feb with the value 900 March with the value 500 April with the value 0 May with the value 0 June with the value 0 I want the March value to drop directly from 500 to 0 ignoring the interval to April, I do not want a curved line it must drop directly to zero then the line is straight across to April. I have no idea if this is possible, any ideas? Thanks, Brett On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:40:45 -0700 (PDT), TyreDu...