custom function that reads user information

Hi,

I am looking for a custom function that reads some kind of use
information (either author name, or even excel registration number
that is somehow unique (so best choice might be registration number
and that is stored somewhere on a persons computer.

I want to incorporate an If statement, so that the function onl
returns a proper value if the information read from the person'
machine is identical to that specified in the function.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Check this previous posting

http://tinyurl.com/32nuj

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"as_sass >" <<as_sass.15uth8@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a custom function that reads some kind of user
> information (either author name, or even excel registration number)
> that is somehow unique (so best choice might be registration number)
> and that is stored somewhere on a persons computer.
>
> I want to incorporate an If statement, so that the function only
> returns a proper value if the information read from the person's
> machine is identical to that specified in the function.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!
>
> as
>

> ---

bob.phillips1 (6510)
5/6/2004 11:26:06 PM
Bob,

this is great, thanks! I was able to modify this and put it into m
function, and it works just fine!

BTW, is this code in the public domain? i.e., can i use it and freel
distribute it? relpy appreciated!

Reading shared inbox email without it being marked read
Maybe this sounds strange but apparently Lotus Notes works this way. A user has permissions to her bosses email so they can both read it. But when she reads his email from her PC, she does not want it to be marked as read on his PC (so her boss knows he hasn't read it). - She doesn't want to keep changing them to unread from read. Someone thinks it should not come up as read when she opens its. I'm not aware of that being possible. Is it? Preview pane - too much trouble for her. Outlook 2003/Exchange 2003 Thanks Paul Paul Hancock <paul-hancock@dlfi.com> wrote: &...

Reading Forwarded Msg.Dat File Attached to AOL Email
I am trying to view a photo which is saved as an attachment to an Email sent by an AOL user. The file name is: Forwarded Msg.Dat I can open the file with MS Word, and it shows some header/Email type information, and then also says that there is an attached photo as a .jpg file. But the .Dat file is a mixture of that header info, and the attached ..jpg which (when read with MS Word) is a bunch of hex code. I cannot open the attachment with Internet Explorer, a Paint Application, or other tools that one might normally use to view .jpg files. Any ideas or suggestions on how to separat...

prompt for user profile stopped working
I recently installed updates for Office 2003, and when I next went to open Outlook, it went straight to my profile. I closed Outlook and tried again, because I was trying to open my wife's email, but it went straight to mine again with no prompt. I rebooted my computer and tried again, and the prompt came up, so I chose my wifes .pst file and it opened. But the next time I opened it to check mine, it opened straight to hers without showing the prompt dialog box again. I tried a few of the fixes I found online, such as going to mail, choosing profiles and checking ...

share calender and contacts with other user on my computer
my wife and i use the same computer with two different accounts and i can't figure out how to share outlook's calender and contacts ...

Atlantic City Excel User Conference
The time to register is drawing near. If you are planning to attend, register this week to assure your spot. Don't miss this one! April 18 - 20, 2007 - Excel and Access users will converge on Atlantic City, New Jersey for the US East Coast Excel/Access User Conference. The event will provide a fantastic opportunity for database and spreadsheet users to learn about one or both platforms. Add-on classes will provide a unique opportunity to learn about Access and Excel from the masters. www.ExcelUserConference.com/ECEUC.html -- -- Damon Longworth 2007 East Coast Excel / Access User ...

Forcing User inputs
Hi All, I need to force user inputs when inserting data on a row. Example: I have 3000 rows of data that needs to be Entered by a user into the worksheet Transaction 1: A1, B1, C1, D1, E1 Transaction 2: A2, B2, C, D2, E2 etc.... How do I force the user to enter the data of transaction 1 in the order I like ?? Ex. A1 first, then B1, then C1, then D1, then E1 Otherwise ERROR OR How do I force the user to enter CELL B1, before able to enter CELL D1 or E1 ?? Thanks in advance. This isn't perfect, it doesn't actually test to determine the spec...

MOSS licensing user type
When a standard CAL is purchased for MOSS is it for a named user or for any user? If I purchase 10 CALs are they for 10 concurrent users or 10 named users? Licensing questions should really be addressed directly to Microsoft. -- Daniel A. Galant Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine. "James Martin" <JIT@nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:E00C091C-1E97-48B5-84C5-A3828C32A16F@microsoft.com... > When a standard CAL is purchased for MOSS is it for a named user or for > any > user? If I purchase 10 CALs are they for 10 concurrent u...

outlook client with another user
hi, i wish to install outlook crm client on a PC on the domain, loggued with the user X, BUT parametred with the account Y (Y is a CRM user). I tried. Installation is OK but when i open outlook, it doesnt work. i think it use the account X "connected" but i want outlook use the account Y... I try to be clear but.... (MS CRM V 3.0 / Outlook 2003) tks Merci. Mary The Outlook client makes profile specific changes and thius must be installed while User Y is logged into the machine. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Mary" <glups@hotmail.com> wrote in mess...

Assigning asset class information to stocks/funds manually
Hello How do you know what asset class information that Money asks for in the Asset Allocation for stocks ansd mutual funds, if they are not set up automatically in Money? Some seem to happen automatically - some I need to assign. Is there a web site that will tell me per stock/fund or is there a magic formula that I can use? Thanks Scott .. http://moneycentral.msn.com Get a quote using your fund's ticker symbol, the click on "Fund Portfolio" on the left side of the screen. It will list the market capitalization. This will probably change several times a year though,...

Expand sheet as information is entered
Is there a way in Excel to have the sheet expand as information is keyed and the keyed information wraps to new lines. Also, can x of y page numbering be used with this if it is possible? Thanks! Ken K. -- akkrug An Excel sheet contains millions of cells to enter data into. What do you mean by "expand"? What do you mean by "wraps to new lines"? To start a new line just hit enter to move to next cell. If want more lines in one cell you can employ "Wrap Text" formatting or hit Alt + ENTER to start a new line within a cell. You can also use Row Autofit t...

EXCEL 2002: How do I user/simulate a Timer event in Excel form
Hi Everyone I have a very long import procedure that's executed from a menu option. I would like to open an "Import" message form and animate a file flying from one side of the form (one folder) to the other side (another folder) until the import is completed. I can easily do it with other applications but find very hard to do with Excel forms, for example when I use Microsoft Access, I use a Timer event and move the file fractionally every few seconds to simulate the movement. However, Excel forms do not appear to have Timer events like Access or VB. I tried to simulate a ti...

Security for Outlook User
Is there a way to password Microsoft Outlook 2002 running on a 2000P OS? When someone uses my computer, I don't want them to be able to open outlook unless I've given them a password. I can't find this option since I've moved to an OS 2000P platform. Right click on the Outlook Today folder icon, select Properties, then advanced. Set your password there and do NOT forget it. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be delet...

Looking for power shell script to gather white space information
Hello all, good morning. We have a Exchange 2007 Enterprise server CCR with 16 databases. I am in need for a script which will show me white space for each database and send the information to a .csv file. Also is there anything else I can do beside offline defrag to recover white space. I have databases now configured : Deleted Item retention :14 day (default) and mailbox retention: 30 days (default). Lowering these two will give me will probably help to reduce database size. Any information will be helpful. I know 1221 Event ID will show me white space info. Thanks ...

Unique user reports people are getting NDR's when sending him messages within my organization
Strange behavior. About 5 users report that sending messages to "Smith, John" (a valid user in my organization) returns an NDR. I attempted to send message to "Smith, John" and it works fine. I noticed that users who complain messages are failing are housed in the same Mailbox Store, Storage and Exchange server than John, Smith. I attempted to track message below using Messaging Tracking center but no results were returned. Please advise how can I troubleshoot this ? What this error could be ? From: System Administrator Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 7:28 AM T...

The Find function in Outlook is not working
The Find function in Outlook is not working for the majority of my Exchange users. We are all on Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003. We are all on XP SP2. Does anyone have any insight on why this might be happening? They are on Exchange server 2003 using Outlook 2003. No results are returned with basic or advanced find. Server rebooted but the problem still the same. Users can search public folders through tools---> Find---> Find Public folders But they can not search inside public folders using find or adcanced find. Any help please. -- M.B On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 02:13:01 -0700, M.B ...

new user in active directory and setting up outlook
I have a problem I know someone has seen before. I am running server 2003 with exchange. I have a new user I just added to active directory with the same user rights as other users. However when I try to set up this user's Outlook and do a name check I get a message the name doesn't match the address book and could not be verified. I have doubled checked the user's name in active directory and everything looks fine. James Have you created mailbox for that account (in ADUC, r-click account, Exchange tasks, Create mailbox)? wildfire19p wrote: > I have a problem I know someone...

Adding custom Line in XL CHart
Hi, I am trying to add a horizontal line to a chart in XL 2002 WIN XP at "0". The Y axis goes from -50,000 to 1,500,000 but does not mark "0". I would like to add a red horizontal line to the chart to clearly mark the "0" level. I can't figure out how to do this. Any ideas? Tx, Sat I'll try adding a series with 0 I guess. I've tried the other wyas before but just cdn't get it just right. Tx Richard. "Richard Choate" <rchoatecpa@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:ekbJ9LiSDHA.2020@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Have you tried adding ...

OutLook "Customize OutLook Today"
Since my nmost recent upfdate to Outlook 2000 the "Customize OutLook Today" function has ceased to respond. What's the problem? What is the "fix" for it? OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 To change your Outlook Today setting by editing the registry, see: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/oltoday.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickSt...

Importing Customizations from V.Next Beta
Has anyone had any problems importing customizations from the V.Next Beta version into the 3.0 release? I seem to remember that this was not supported. ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C8532340-2669-4A8D-A9BE-F6A8A39652DB@microsoft.com... > Has anyone had any problems importing customizations from the V.Next Beta > version into the 3.0 release? From what I understood, you can not upgrade from Beta to Full but the entities would be able ...

Deleted information reappearing in OneNote after a time.
Why does deleted information reappear in OneNote after a time? OneNote wrote: > Why does deleted information reappear in OneNote after a time? Is the notebook shared and opened on more than one computer? Rainald ...

Exchange 5.5 SP4
Hi, All after defragment pub.edb with eseutil not started Information Store database error 530, 531 bad log signature for database pub.edb how to start with new empty pub.edb ? Thanks Artur Bad log signature means that the log file signature that the database and the log files hold are different so the store will not start as it does not want to play an incorrect log file in and corrupt the database. If your pub.edb contains data then it is best to restore from backup. If you just want a blank pub.edb then you can rename the current pub.edb to pub.xxx and then start the information...

SUM of a colum where IF function is used
Hi, I would like to have the sum of cloumn 'C' in the attached file. An IF function is used to derive column C. =SUM ( C1:C21) is not giving the result. Please help me. Jeevan See responses to your duplicate posting with the attachment. In the future, do not start another thread. Simply post a follow-up in your original thread. ----- original message ----- "Vinay Vasu" <vinayvasu@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23dk6OOj3KHA.5820@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I would like to have the sum of cloumn 'C' in the at...

Prevent Outlook Calendar from deleting old information
I was unaware that when performing the archive function it does not archive your calendar entries as well - apparently after 6-months you are left with totally blank boxes. went into the Calendar archive folder - nothing there. How do I prevent these valuable business records from automatically deleting? How would I retrieve this information? Archive only archives if you tell it to. Do you sync with a smartphone? Syncing with a smartphone when the phone is set to keep old appointments for less than 'forever' will delete them from outlook calendar. -- Diane Poremsky ...

set up multiple users in outlook #3
I am currently using and ISP that provides me with 7 different email and would like to start using Outlook to receive email opposed to the online website. I have been able to add the different email address into my mail accounts, however I am receiving all the emails into one inbox. Is there a way for a prompt to come up asking which user will be using Outlook and only the email pertaining to that user to be received in that session and that when email is sent out it is sent from that user. I understand that I can do it with Outlook Express under Identities Management however I would ...

prevent the users from making changes to the excel report
I have an application written in Visual Basic 6. My application creates a Customer Details Report in Excel. All done till here but now my problem is that I want to prevent the users from making changes to the excel report or to copy/paste/delete data from my report or to save file as another name. I tried protecting the sheet but that only solves half of the problem, user can still save file as another name and copy the data. Use of macro is strictly not allowed. Please help. Thanks in advance As long as users can access your Excel workbook they can defeat any security you place on it to prev...