Custom Formatting for Dates

Is there a manner of formatting to see date as Text?, if entered in same
cell.  Think that is what I need.  Using custom formatting:  yymmdd and
making column narrow, so just see dd (with right justify).

Problem is that going from text to date format, just see ##
is there way to make yymmdd in custom to conform to text???  Thanks
0
nastech (103)

a1     11/2/05

b1     =TEXT(A1,"yymmdd")
you will get b1           051102
====================

"nastech" <nastech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a manner of formatting to see date as Text?, if entered in same
> cell.  Think that is what I need.  Using custom formatting:  yymmdd and
> making column narrow, so just see dd (with right justify).
>
> Problem is that going from text to date format, just see ##
> is there way to make yymmdd in custom to conform to text???  Thanks

Hi, thanks for that.. don't know that much, But can I enter something like
that in custom formatting for date? (trying for all in same column, already
have yymmdd in custom formatting)  Thanks

"R.VENKATARAMAN" wrote:

> a1     11/2/05
>
> b1     =TEXT(A1,"yymmdd")
> you will get b1           051102
> ====================
>
> "nastech" <nastech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a manner of formatting to see date as Text?, if entered in same
> > cell.  Think that is what I need.  Using custom formatting:  yymmdd and
> > making column narrow, so just see dd (with right justify).
> >
> > Problem is that going from text to date format, just see ##
> > is there way to make yymmdd in custom to conform to text???  Thanks

0
nastech (103)
11/14/2005 5:43:02 AM
If it is a date, use just dd for the custom formatting rather than yymmdd.

"nastech" wrote:

> Hi, thanks for that.. don't know that much, But can I enter something like
> that in custom formatting for date? (trying for all in same column, already
> have yymmdd in custom formatting)  Thanks
>
> "R.VENKATARAMAN" wrote:
>
> > a1     11/2/05
> >
> > b1     =TEXT(A1,"yymmdd")
> > you will get b1           051102
> > ====================
> >
> > "nastech" <nastech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there a manner of formatting to see date as Text?, if entered in same
> > > cell.  Think that is what I need.  Using custom formatting:  yymmdd and
> > > making column narrow, so just see dd (with right justify).
> > >
> > > Problem is that going from text to date format, just see ##
> > > is there way to make yymmdd in custom to conform to text???  Thanks

0
RalphOrth (8)
11/14/2005 6:46:02 AM
oh sure, make it easy, jk.. thanks will try that

"Ralph Orth" wrote:

> If it is a date, use just dd for the custom formatting rather than yymmdd.
>
> "nastech" wrote:
>
> > Hi, thanks for that.. don't know that much, But can I enter something like
> > that in custom formatting for date? (trying for all in same column, already
> > have yymmdd in custom formatting)  Thanks
> >
> > "R.VENKATARAMAN" wrote:
> >
> > > a1     11/2/05
> > >
> > > b1     =TEXT(A1,"yymmdd")
> > > you will get b1           051102
> > > ====================
> > >
> > > "nastech" <nastech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
nastech (103)
11/14/2005 7:16:02 AM
I just noticed your other post, and changing the system date format in the
control panel will not affect the way Excel displays the date. I can't figure
out of you are working with a date or text from what you are writing, but I
think it is a date since it displays ## when you make the column narrow. In
your sheet, highlight the cells you want to display as just a day, then on
the menu bar on top, choose Format, then Cells, then Custom--in the Type box,
type dd. Then go and change your system clock back to what you would like it
to show in the lower RH corner.

"nastech" wrote:

> Hi, thanks for that.. don't know that much, But can I enter something like
> that in custom formatting for date? (trying for all in same column, already
> have yymmdd in custom formatting)  Thanks
>
> "R.VENKATARAMAN" wrote:
>
> > a1     11/2/05
> >
> > b1     =TEXT(A1,"yymmdd")
> > you will get b1           051102
> > ====================
> >
> > "nastech" <nastech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there a manner of formatting to see date as Text?, if entered in same
> > > cell.  Think that is what I need.  Using custom formatting:  yymmdd and
> > > making column narrow, so just see dd (with right justify).
> > >
> > > Problem is that going from text to date format, just see ##
> > > is there way to make yymmdd in custom to conform to text???  Thanks

0
RalphOrth (8)
11/14/2005 7:19:06 AM
thanks,, system clock? don't think mentioned that, not using clock anyways,
because takes up space for task buttons, incidently/ would ask MS to put at
left under start, where empty anyways.. since you're here:  2nd problem was:
xxxxx

Trying to make a custom format for date using yymmdd

Iam looking for a formula for conditional formatting, that will change color
if date is older than 1 business day:  (exclude saturday/sunday, legal
holidays if possible)
format using is:  yy-mm-dd (closest could get to:  yymmdd)

Closest I have is:

=DATEDIF(TODAY(),$A2,"M")<6

if trying to get true for < 6months, WHAT NEED:  (if just dd) don't know how
to modify it for if older than 1day.  This is for Conditional Formatting.
Thanks

xxxxxxxxxx

"Ralph Orth" wrote:

> I just noticed your other post, and changing the system date format in the
> control panel will not affect the way Excel displays the date. I can't figure
> out of you are working with a date or text from what you are writing, but I
> think it is a date since it displays ## when you make the column narrow. In
> your sheet, highlight the cells you want to display as just a day, then on
> the menu bar on top, choose Format, then Cells, then Custom--in the Type box,
> type dd. Then go and change your system clock back to what you would like it
> to show in the lower RH corner.
>
> "nastech" wrote:
>
> > Hi, thanks for that.. don't know that much, But can I enter something like
> > that in custom formatting for date? (trying for all in same column, already
> > have yymmdd in custom formatting)  Thanks
> >
> > "R.VENKATARAMAN" wrote:
> >
> > > a1     11/2/05
> > >
> > > b1     =TEXT(A1,"yymmdd")
> > > you will get b1           051102
> > > ====================
> > >
> > > "nastech" <nastech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
nastech (103)
11/14/2005 7:30:07 AM
Use a formula of

=workday(TODAY(),-1)<(TODAY()-1)

which requires the Analysis Toolpak being installed

--

HTH

RP

> thanks,, system clock? don't think mentioned that, not using clock
anyways,
> because takes up space for task buttons, incidently/ would ask MS to put
at
> left under start, where empty anyways.. since you're here:  2nd problem
was:
> xxxxx
>
> Trying to make a custom format for date using yymmdd
>
> Iam looking for a formula for conditional formatting, that will change
color
> if date is older than 1 business day:  (exclude saturday/sunday, legal
> holidays if possible)
> format using is:  yy-mm-dd (closest could get to:  yymmdd)
>
> Closest I have is:
>
> =DATEDIF(TODAY(),$A2,"M")<6
>
> if trying to get true for < 6months, WHAT NEED:  (if just dd) don't know
how
> to modify it for if older than 1day.  This is for Conditional Formatting.
> Thanks
>

> xxxxxxxxxx
>
> "Ralph Orth" wrote:
>
> > I just noticed your other post, and changing the system date format in
the
> > control panel will not affect the way Excel displays the date. I can't
figure
> > out of you are working with a date or text from what you are writing,
but I
> > think it is a date since it displays ## when you make the column narrow.
In
> > your sheet, highlight the cells you want to display as just a day, then
on
> > the menu bar on top, choose Format, then Cells, then Custom--in the Type
box,
> > type dd. Then go and change your system clock back to what you would
like it
> > to show in the lower RH corner.
> >
> > "nastech" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, thanks for that.. don't know that much, But can I enter something
like
> > > that in custom formatting for date? (trying for all in same column,
already
> > > have yymmdd in custom formatting)  Thanks

yymmdd and

Thanks

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)