CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

Does anyone know why VLOOKUP and Compare formulas don't work o
information originating from a CSV file?  I've tried copying an
pasting values only (to leave behind any formatting), but it doesn'
help.

Through countless tests, I've narrowed it down to the CSV file bein
the only possible cause

Hi ajpowers,

Just a guess but the imported data may have leading or trailing spaces or
are numbers stored as text.  You could use the formula =A1=D1 to see if you
get a true or false, where A1 is the lookup value and D1 ia the CVS value.
If false then sometin' aint da same.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"ajpowers >" <<ajpowers.187xyd@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know why VLOOKUP and Compare formulas don't work on
> information originating from a CSV file?  I've tried copying and
> pasting values only (to leave behind any formatting), but it doesn't
> help.
>
> Through countless tests, I've narrowed it down to the CSV file being
> the only possible cause.
>

> ---

lhkittle1 (70)
6/21/2004 9:52:39 PM
I don't understand the formula =A1=D1.  Where am I supposed to typ
that?  My information is on two different spreadsheets

Try something like this;

=A1=[Book1]Sheet1!$A$1

Where A1 is the lookup value on one sheet and [Book1]Sheet1!$D$1 is the
value to be looked up in the table on another Book and Sheet1.

If you are still having trouble with it I would be willing to look at the
two worksheets, if not sensitive material, and see if I can help.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"ajpowers >" <<ajpowers.187xyd@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know why VLOOKUP and Compare formulas don't work on
> information originating from a CSV file?  I've tried copying and
> pasting values only (to leave behind any formatting), but it doesn't
> help.
>
> Through countless tests, I've narrowed it down to the CSV file being
> the only possible cause.
>

> ---

lhkittle1 (70)
6/22/2004 10:50:49 PM
Try something like this;

=A1=[Book1]Sheet1!$A$1

Where A1 is the lookup value on one sheet and [Book1]Sheet1!$D$1 is the
value to be looked up in the table on another Book and Sheet1.

If you are still having trouble with it I would be willing to look at the
two worksheets, if not sensitive material, and see if I can help.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"ajpowers >" <<ajpowers.187xyd@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know why VLOOKUP and Compare formulas don't work on
> information originating from a CSV file?  I've tried copying and
> pasting values only (to leave behind any formatting), but it doesn't
> help.
>
> Through countless tests, I've narrowed it down to the CSV file being
> the only possible cause.
>

> ---

lhkittle1 (70)

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Trouble with Excel 2000 Help file
Running Excel 2000. When I click on "See Also" at the top left of my Help screen, I get an internet explorer error message: "An error has occurred in the script on this page" Line1, Character 1. It goes on with some other stuff. Also, at the top of the page, I don't see hyperlinks anything else, but I see two little blue squares with a dot in the middle of each, which I usually associate with images that don't download. I seem to have my help files confused. I've tried reinstalling Office, but that doesn't help. I've gone to the microsoft support w...

Fax Icon on my File menu and toolbar

Errors saving to network drive

backup file won't work!!
OK, now I've really had it! This is my last resort! Several years ago, while using Money 97, our computer crashed. We had backed up every time we used money, so I thought we were OK. However, we could never get the backup file to pull up after fixing the computer and everything was lost. I vowed that this would not happen again, so I tried backing up on a ZIP disk instead, and then on CDs. I also got on this newsgroup and got the advice that I needed to first copy the backup file onto the desktop and open it from there. I tried doing that with the old program, and it seeme...

Outlook receiving zip files

unable to read file #7

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

Exporting contacts in a csv file

Error loading XML into DataSet

Publisher can not save file

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Run time error 5 : HQClient

LNK2001 and LNK2019 errors with template class
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00BB_01C695ED.3958DA70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have a smart pointer class that uses template functions that works = fine under VC6 but it not linking under VS2005. 1>TestGridToolkitView.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol = "void __cdecl PrismGCSmartPointer(class CPrismSmartPointer<class = CDialog> &)" = (?PrismGCSmartPointer@@YAXAAV?$CPrismSmartPointer@VCDialog@@@@@Z) = referenced in function "protected: __...

delivery failure error
"The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to" then says user unknown, even though other comupters don't have that problem. I get this error for a few clients, yet other clients can email the same address. I have Windows small business server 2000, I am pretty sure everything has updated patches. I know i security updates automatically. My clients are an updated Windows XP SR 1 with Office 2003(outlook) SR1. ...

on Writexml error
(Type your message here) Hi all, I have a XML file as a datasource. I read that file using dataset.readxml.Then in that dataset I make some changes. Now I want to write that changed dataset by overwriting the file that was created initially. I someone please tell me how to do it. -------------------------------- From: ratnesh gupta ----------------------- Posted by a user from .NET 247 (http://www.dotnet247.com/) <Id>sCyOfoucUUyYsxAsNxg9AA==</Id> ...