CSV file problem

Hi,

Using Excel 2000 and I need to edit a CSV file.  My problem is that the
original file has quotes around each element but when I save the csv file
from Excel it strips them off.  I need the quotes left in.  Any suggestion
how to get Excel to leave the quotes in?

Thanks in advance,
Linn

0
lkubler1 (3)

See

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html#csvwithquotes

In article <eU8yb0X4EHA.664@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
 "Linn Kubler" <lkubler@charter2.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Using Excel 2000 and I need to edit a CSV file.  My problem is that the
> original file has quotes around each element but when I save the csv file
> from Excel it strips them off.  I need the quotes left in.  Any suggestion
> how to get Excel to leave the quotes in?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Linn
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
12/14/2004 1:57:01 AM
Cool, great that's exactly what I needed.
Linn

"JE McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message
> See
>
>     http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html#csvwithquotes
>

> In article <eU8yb0X4EHA.664@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
>  "Linn Kubler" <lkubler@charter2.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Using Excel 2000 and I need to edit a CSV file.  My problem is that the
> > original file has quotes around each element but when I save the csv
file
> > from Excel it strips them off.  I need the quotes left in.  Any
suggestion
> > how to get Excel to leave the quotes in?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Linn

0
lkubler1 (3)

publisher did not recognize my files
after updating office 2000, I can no longer read my saved publications How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "bosshossmotorcycle" <bosshossmotorcycle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA4DEA42-9ED4-4E5A-8BA0-F0D724EFCA90@microsoft.com... > after updating office 2000, I can no longer read my saved publications ...

Corrupted Personal.xls file in Excel 97 ??
Oops! This is a correction to the subject of my previous posting. Please excuse me. =========================================================== I am using Excel 97. As of a few days ago, every time I start Excel I get a dialogue box that says "Personal.xls is being modified by Milt" (that's me) and giving me three choices: (1) Open the Personal.xls as a Read Only file, (2) Notify me when it becomes available, (3) Cancel. No matter which choice I take, the same dialogue box appears the next time I start Excel. The only way I have found to stop getting that dialogue b...

StretchDIBits shrink image problem
hi all, When I use StretchDIBits to shrink image from 352*288 to 176*144, it shows the image with red lines, dots. Is there any way that I can do to show a good image after shrinking? >From myphone, it uses StretchBlts and it shows good picture. But when I use StretchBlts, it doens't show any picture at all. Please advise. regards, peggy On 9 Apr 2007 00:28:18 -0700, "peggy83" <teopeggy@gmail.com> wrote: >Is there any way that I can do to show a good image after shrinking? >>From myphone, it uses StretchBlts and it shows good picture. But when >I use Str...

Outlook 2003 HTML formatting problem
After upgrading clients to Outlook 2003 we've started to experience a strange problem with emails formatted in HTML. The scenario goes like this. 1. A local user creates an HTML formatted email and sends it to an external recipient. 2. The external recipient replies to the original message. 3. Originator replies to the reply 4. The external recipient receives the HTML formatted email with portions of the text grossly enlarged. 5. Upon review, it would appear that the external HTML client dropped a (.) changing the font size from 10.0 to 100 causing the enlarged text. Editing the HT...

Vlookups to Excel Version 3 files.
I use a system that on a daily basis creates an Excel version 3 file containing cost centers and their budgets. When I do vlookups from other Excel 97 files to this file it takes a long time for the sheet to calculate. If I save the Excel V3 file as Excel 97 its OK, and if the Excel V3 file is open before the 97 file its OK. I don't want to have to constantly save the V3 file as 97 (I may not be around to do that always) Does anyone know how to resolve this. Thanks Naz ...

creating tmp files
Have Excel 2000 whenever click on save file it creates tmp file too. How can I prevent excel from creating these temp files. Thanks Chandra You cant "chandrak@futaiusa.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9a9701c4343c$e2f2c6a0$a401280a@phx.gbl... : Have Excel 2000 whenever click on save file it creates tmp : file too. How can I prevent excel from creating these temp : files. : Thanks : Chandra But accoding to documents on excel if the file is saved without error messages it renames the temp file with xls why do I still see the xls and tmp fi...

Need help saving a file!
Well let me start off by saying that I feel lost using the Office 97 programs! I had to make a new resume so I got myself a template off of the site here. It opened up in publisher so that's where I created my resume. I've put a lot of time into it and now realize that I think I made a huge mistake! How the heck do I save it as a more "acceptable" file without screwing up the format??? (for uploading as an attachment) Or is that just not possible? I've tried saving it as a word document, but like I said, screws up the whole format. I'm really lost, don...

Sending files from Vista
Windows mail is my default mail client. But if I right click on a data or picture file from my desktop or other areas it wants to send it with Outlook instead of Windows Mail. What settings do I have to change to get windows mail to do all my mail sending in this manner? "Stumped" <Stumped@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C240124-48D3-4EAB-B63B-8A0B20505905@microsoft.com... > Windows mail is my default mail client. But if I right click on a data or > picture file from my desktop or other areas it wants to send it with > Outlook >...

Inbox- Missing files/folders
This is the second time this has happened, I wonder if anyone can help. > Without any warning all the files and sub folders under my Inbox in Outlook > Express disappear totally but files in the Sent, Outbox, Deleted folders etc are all okay. Can > anyone tell me where they went and how to get them back. > Cheers. Hello, Please take a look at the following article. 321505 OLEXP: Outlook Express E-Mail Messages Are Missing from the Inbox Folder http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321505 If you check inbox.dbx file and there is no content of previous mail items, then there is n...

File Formate
I have five Excel files which contain the records of my previous 4 years Business matters. Suddenly yesterday when I opned one of my files I received the following messege. --------------------------------------- The file is not in recognizable formate. if you know the file is from another program which is incompatible with Microsoft Excel, click Cancel, then open the file in its original application. If you want to open the file later in Microsoft Excel, save it in a format that is compatible, such as text format. If you suspect the file is damaged, click help for more information about...

File size limits and workarounds?
Hi All, I've run into the 2 gig file size limit on Outlook 2000 a couple times now. Is there a way to clean the files so I can avoid this in the future? The way I fixed things is that I deleted stuff, then made a new pst file and copied all the folders over to the new file. I went from just over 2gig to 1.3 gigs. I've done this once before I think, so I know I'll hit it again. Just wondering how to avoid all this. Thanks, me Maybe use the Archive options? But remember an archive has the same size limitation, so at some point you would need to create a new Archive fil...

Can't delete file in Outlook express outbox
I have a large email file in my outbox that won't send and I can' delete it -- PhoenixVP ----------------------------------------------------------------------- PhoenixVPC's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=468 View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-187101402 PhoenixVPC, you wrote on Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:46:14 -0500: > I have a large email file in my outbox that won't send and I can't > delete it. Close Outlook Express and search for the file "Outbox.dbx" on your system. Delete it an restart OE. Best Regards Christian Goeller -...

Mouse select problem
I keep running into this problem from time to time. My mouse will act as if the shift key is pressed and selects everything between the current cursor position and the click. This manifests in VBA, in fields on the Property window and in query designer. If I restart Access the problem goes away. Sticky keys are off. Access 2003, XP Pro If I remember correctly this also happened in previous versions of Access This happens when you keep the shift key pressed for too long at a time. There is a solution to undo it that I forgot. You could search for it. My solution -- get out of the ...

problem with fonts using Word as editor #3
All new messages come up with a superscript font. I remove the check mark and go into default, but new msgs keep coming up in superscrip.What is one to do? Leo Leo Kerner <l.kerner@sympatico.ca> wrote ... > All new messages come up with a superscript font. I remove the check > mark and go into default, but new msgs keep coming up in superscrip.What > is one to do? Since you keep asking, I'll reply with my first reaction to all word-as-email-editor problems: don't use Word as your email editor. It's a simple and 100% effective solution to this and a whole host of ot...

XMLSerializer problem, class inside class
Hi, I'm having a problem with XMLSerializer, I have classes like the following: [Serializable] public abstract class EulerObject { private Rectangle rect; private string guid = ""; public virtual Rectangle Rect { get { return rect; } set{ rect = value; } } public string GUID { get { return guid; } set { guid = value; } } public abstract void Draw(Graphics g); public abstract EulerObject MakeCopy(bool sameGuid); } [Serializable]...

Installation Problem for Outlook Sales for CRM 1.2
I installed the Outlook Sales for CRM 1.2, however I cannot see the details of accounts, orders and etc. When I debug, I found the problem is that there is only one file(dmUpdate.xml) in folder of "\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\Client\res\Web\_xslfiles". All the files such as 1_Update.xsl and so on were not copied. When I copied them from CRM Server, everything works fine. Is it a bug in the Outlook sales installation package ? Thanks Drew ...

Having some problems saving excel files
I had a Excel file that was worked on using a Office XP machine, and know it is back on my Mac. Know everytime I save I keep on getting this message everytime using Office 98 for Mac. "This file was created using a later version of Microsoft Excel. If you save this file using Microsoft excel 98, information created with features in the later version may be lost." I have tried the following. 1) Saving as a new file and renaming it 2) Saving as Excel 5.x, and then back to Excel 98 3) deleting the Cell comments that I created in Excel XP, and redoing them in Excel 98 Thank...

Importing CSV files into excel
Just a suggestion, but I don't see where anyone would ever want their imported data changed by default. How about having CSV files import to format TEXT by default and letting the user decide if he wants to make changes instead of making changes that cannot be undone by default. (the "general" formatting that changed all your numbers around) I've given up on using Excel to look at my data files that contain numbers, instead using wordpad and 3rd party freeware to edit data. Minutes instead of seconds to import a file that has dozens of columns of fixed width - lead...

Problem with Executable File generated using Debug Build
Hi All, I am facing a really wierd problem. I am working on a project in which I have implemeted a GUI for controlling laser microscopes. Everything was going fine till I added support for Filter Wheels. The program compiles perfectly fine. Runs perfectly fine if I run it using Microsoft Visual Studios. But When I try to run the program by double clicking on its icon in the debug folder, the program shows that main frame and then hangs. The problem was not there before I added the code for filter wheels. I am placed all the DLL files in the debug folder. Could any body help me out. Regard...

software update problem in $2007 H&B
I've installed Money 2007 H&B and my location is China.Then every time I launched the program,it says something like "To operate correctly,click 'ok' to let Money download the software update." But if I click 'OK',after it download autoupdate.dll(.cab) and autoupdate.xml,it alarms "A software update is already in progress.Please try again when the update is complete." How can I solve the problem ? By the way , can i download the software update manually? I'm having the same problem, and i cannot find the update on microsoft's website...

how to make pst file to be accessible from CD/DVD?
hi any one have idea? thanks > any one have idea? You can't. Full read and write access to the PST is needed. -- -f.h. ...

convert pub file to wpd file?
I use Publisher for all my needs, but a lot of my contacts do not. Is it possible to convert Publisher to word perfect document or any other format that woud be easier for them to open. ...

Unusual Printing problem
We have an MFC application that prints two different ways. One is the traditional document/view architecture provided by CView. The other way is using CPrintDialog, then a CDC that attaches to the chosen printer. Our application is being used on well over a thousand computers with no printing problems, but now we've encountered a bizarre situation. One user has a heavily permissioned Windows network with each user having as little privileges as possible, and our software is run through a Citrix server. When they try to print using either of the above methods, they get the printer selectio...

USB Mouse Problems
The USB IBM laser Mouse on my XP machine is locked up when the computer is turned on. If I unplug it from the USB port and plug it back in, it works. This just started a couple of days ago and I can't figure out how to fix it. I've tried reloading drivers but that doesn't work. I used a different USB port and that didn't help. I checked for malware and the computer seems to be clean. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks. PS: I've also tried another USB mouse and get the same results. "Mike950" <Mike950@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...