Creating drop down lists with multiple options?

I am trying in vain to create a drop down list where users can select more
than 1 choice.  For example, if the choices in a list which i named are as
follows:

Blue
Red
Green
Yellow
Purple

How does one have the option to select any of the colors by themselves or
any combination of all of them up?  For example, if the question is what is
your favorite color?  How can a user choose Blue OR Red and Blue OR Red, Blue
and Green and so on?

Any help would be appreciated.

That will require multiple cells. One cell will only hold 1 value. Any single
cell solutions are going to be more complicated than it is worth.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"acf33" wrote:

> I am trying in vain to create a drop down list where users can select more
> than 1 choice.  For example, if the choices in a list which i named are as
> follows:
>
> Blue
> Red
> Green
> Yellow
> Purple
>
> How does one have the option to select any of the colors by themselves or
> any combination of all of them up?  For example, if the question is what is
> your favorite color?  How can a user choose Blue OR Red and Blue OR Red, Blue
> and Green and so on?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
so i can't create a drop down with check boxes and allow more than one choice
or it becomes an exercise in reprogramming excel (which im not capable of)?
i'm trying to organize a decent amount of data and do it correctly from the
outset.

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

> That will require multiple cells. One cell will only hold 1 value. Any single
> cell solutions are going to be more complicated than it is worth.
> --
> HTH...
>
> Jim Thomlinson
>

> "acf33" wrote:
>
> > I am trying in vain to create a drop down list where users can select more
> > than 1 choice.  For example, if the choices in a list which i named are as
> > follows:
> >
> > Blue
> > Red
> > Green
> > Yellow
> > Purple
> >
> > How does one have the option to select any of the colors by themselves or
> > any combination of all of them up?  For example, if the question is what is
> > your favorite color?  How can a user choose Blue OR Red and Blue OR Red, Blue
> > and Green and so on?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
Multiselect from a DV dropdown is possible using VBA.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for a downloadable sample workbook with event
code.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DV0017

Note that you can have the selections in an adjacent cell or in the same
cell.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:15:01 -0800, acf33 <acf33@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am trying in vain to create a drop down list where users can select more
>than 1 choice.  For example, if the choices in a list which i named are as
>follows:
>
>Blue
>Red
>Green
>Yellow
>Purple
>
>How does one have the option to select any of the colors by themselves or
>any combination of all of them up?  For example, if the question is what is
>your favorite color?  How can a user choose Blue OR Red and Blue OR Red, Blue
>and Green and so on?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

1
Gord
1/26/2010 11:03:22 PM
This site may offer a solution for you.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DV0017

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"acf33" <acf33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying in vain to create a drop down list where users can select more
> than 1 choice.  For example, if the choices in a list which i named are as
> follows:
>
> Blue
> Red
> Green
> Yellow
> Purple
>
> How does one have the option to select any of the colors by themselves or
> any combination of all of them up?  For example, if the question is what
> is
> your favorite color?  How can a user choose Blue OR Red and Blue OR Red,
> Blue
> and Green and so on?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Wrong unread count in inbox (1 is list but no there is no messages)
I'm trying to figure out why a user has this problem. The unread inbox count shows 1, even if there are no unread messages in the Inbox. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Check your view (View, Current View, Customize Current View) and make sure there are no filters set. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 Author, Absolute Beginner's Guide to OneNote 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** "mr_gustav" <randy.riauka@saultc.on.ca> wrote in message news:17b1b01c418c3$e7e4aff0$a10128...

Creating array of specific object types dynamically
Hi, little gotcha. Some COM objects requires array of specific type. To give you example, following DOESN'T work: [array]$X = @() However below code works: [int32[]]$X = @() For my framework, array type can be dynamic and I don't know in advance what type it's going to be. So what I would need is below: [$PropertyType[]]$X = @() This doesn't work with error message "Unable to find type". As a workaround, I solved it using following: Invoke-Expression "[$$PropertyType[]]`$Var = @()" This code works as expected, I am just curious if ...

automaticly create graph
what i would like to do is create a spread sheet where by i entered the fixed and variable costs as well as the selling price. i would then like a graph to automaicly change and display the this info. Does anyone know how to do this. Decide which cells on the spreadsheet you wish to include in the chart. Select those cells. Follow the menu option: Insert/ Chart, and answer the questions in the wizard. Have you looked in Excel help at the topics concerned with charts, starting with "Create a chart"? Have you looked at the training material under http://office.microsoft.com/...

Create static text from cell reference

Dropped connection to POP3 servers
Just installed Office 2003 under XP Home. Outlook is dropping connection to POP3 servers, I check 2 different servers with a S/R. Both fail at the same time, never separately. Sometimes I can exit Outlook gracefully but a reboot is required to get Outlook to work again. Sometimes locks entire system and have to powerdown manually. Pattern not fully determined but it appears to happen when there is other activity to the internet that is going to specific servers using an ID and password. I use Medved Quotetracker with E*Trade quotes (requires ID). If I bring up Quotetracker, Ou...

Importing spam list
Hi, I have a long list of spam email addresses that I want to import into outlook. How do I do this? Do they have to be separated by commas? Thaks, Paul Where is this spam list generated? What version of Outlook? Where do you propose to import them? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Paul Ellis asked: | Hi, | I have a long list of spam email addresses...

Creating a Graph
hi all, i want to create a grapg dynamically getting the values from a file.. take for example the first row is the x axis and the second row is the y axis. i am planning to do this in mfc. what needs to be done for this.. if somebody has an example relating this please send me the link or the code.. thanks Read the data. Plot it. First, you have to read the data. You read the data and build an array of <x,y> pairs in whatever way you want to save them, e.g., int, float, double. This is pretty elementary programming. To do a graph in a very fancy way, you should use an existing gra...

Sorting Attendee Lists in Outlook 2003
Is there any way to sort attendees by either name or attendee status in Outlook 2003? I don't know how Microsoft could be so oblivious to the need for this feature. You can't even click on the column headers to sort, let alone print out a list of people sorted by accept and decline. Microsoft's online help system recommends Alt + PrntScreen???? How archaic is that? Is there anyone out there that can help me??? Thanks! ...

selected row count of list box
A2k Is there a way to get the selected row count of a list box dynamically as the user selects rows? Delphi has an event called "OnSelectionChanged" but Access is much more limited. I don't want the user to have to exit the list box or click a button or anything manual in order to see the # of rows he's selected. How can this be done? I know about "lstCusts.ItemsSelected.Count" but not sure what event to use it in to accomplish what I need. Thanks, Keith Never mind. I did this and it handles both mouse and keyboard selections: Private Sub lstCusts_AfterUpdat...

Sumproduct with multiple date criteria
Having a tough time with this one. Sheet 1 Column A = Start Date, Column B = End Date, Column C = Quantity. Sheet 2 Row A = Start Date, Row B = End Date. I would like Row C to sum quantity from sheet 1 where ever the two date ranges intersect. The date ranges on sheet 2 represent the beginning and ending of a week (Mon-Sun). Sheet 1 Column A Column B Column C 01JAN2010 24JAN2010 1,000 Sheet 2 Row A 04JAN2010 11JAN2010 18JAN2010 25JAN2010 Row B 10JAN2010 17JAN2010 24JAN2010 31JAN2010 Row c 1,000 1,000 1,000 0 Do the Sheet 2 Star...

manufacturing scrap not calculating on pick list and serial #'s no
I have entered my percentage of scrap on a MFG BOM and is seems to be calculating properly in the setup. When I release the components and add them to a pick list the scrap is not calculating. I also choose serial numbers and they do not carry thorugh and print on the pick list. Is there some setting that I have missed? -- Paula ...

Data Validation List not showing

Querying multiple records in two tables

using vba so search multiple Sheets

Adding extra data options
Is there a way to customize CRM to allow for adding another heading? I would like to add a second field similar to topic and would like to call it type. Can you add extra data fileds and types in CRM 3.0? You can add extra data fields to an entity. Go to entities customization at setting area. -- Marco Amoedo Plain Concepts http://geeks.ms/blogs/marco/ "xxdcmast" escribió: > Is there a way to customize CRM to allow for adding another heading? I would > like to add a second field similar to topic and would like to call it type. > > Can you add extra data ...

Problems with MFC list controls
I have a large list control with many inventory control items displayed within. When someone single clicks on an item, it displays information about that item in another part of the dialog. I have a three-fold problem, the master list has multiple columns in it, in order to make the selection work properly, only column 0 can be selected, is there a way to make a valid row selection if you select an item using any of the other columns? Second issue is the highlight of the selection. Only column 0 in the list control will highlight, is there a way to make the entire row highlight when an...

IF statement based on True/False that activates a certain list box
I've been asked to create a formula that will react to either "yes" or "no" entered into a cell which will show options in another cell based on a certain list. Example: Cells D3:D5 contain the values Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday (list named BegWeek) Cells E3:E5 contain the values Thursday, Friday, Saturday (list named EndWeek) Cell A3 accepts either "yes" or "no" entry only from a list If A3 = "Yes" then B3 will = drop down list BegWeek If A3 = "No" then B3 will = drop down list End Week I don't even know if thi...

Create a Loop for create a phone call
Hi Best Regards Excuse me for my bad english I am developing a workflow, which must create automatically phone calls and assign them to certain users of the following way: it must create the number of 10 calls and to assign them to user 1, to create 5 calls and to assign them to user 2 etc the data of the phone calls is in a database I am trying to create a loop but I have not found like I am thankful for your help regards You will need to do this using the CRM SDK/web service. Do something like : CrmService service = new CrmService(); // Setup the CrmService class here foreach (U...

How to import a list of links into Excel?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to import a list of links in to Excel? Under the sheet "Date", there is a list of http links under column C, and a list of name under column B, I would like to import each link into specific sheet at cell A1. For example, in sheet "Date", there is a link www.cnn.com in cell C2, and 1 in cell B2, so this link is imported into sheet "1", and keep running the rest of links. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it in Excel macro? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric Hi Eric If you have numerics in...