Creating a Combined Date/Time Shortcut

I know Excel provides shortcuts for entering the date (CTRL + ;) and the =

time (CTRL + SHIFT + ;), but I really need one that will enter both the =
date=20
and time in the same cell at the same time. (Since Excel does provide=20
formatting for same-cell date and time, it seems kind of odd that there =
isn't=20
a shortcut to facilitate entry.) Is it possible to create an entirely =
new shortcut=20
that doesn't use macros? (This last point is important, since the =
workbook is=20
shared on a network.)

Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated--I'm getting=20
desperate. Thanks in advance!

Why not use this

Ctrl-;
press the space bar
Ctrl-:
Enter

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Michael Link" <MICHAEL_LINK@MCGRAW-HILL.COM> wrote in message news:13d201c512ac$28969800$3a01280a@phx.gbl...
I know Excel provides shortcuts for entering the date (CTRL + ;) and the
time (CTRL + SHIFT + ;), but I really need one that will enter both the date
and time in the same cell at the same time. (Since Excel does provide
formatting for same-cell date and time, it seems kind of odd that there isn't
a shortcut to facilitate entry.) Is it possible to create an entirely new shortcut
that doesn't use macros? (This last point is important, since the workbook is
shared on a network.)

Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated--I'm getting
desperate. Thanks in advance!

0
rondebruin (3790)
2/14/2005 3:56:02 PM
I thought of that, but (believe it or not) I've had comments from users =
that=20
that was too cumbersome.  I've seen way too many cell misentries where =
(for=20
example) the space was omitted, rendering the cell unusable for =
calculations=20
unless I went in and fixed them manually. I really need a single =
shortcut to=20
ensure consistent entry with absolutely minimal errors.

I really appreciate the feedvback, though! Thanks!

new=20
shortcut
>that doesn't use macros? (This last point is important, since the =
workbook=20
is
>shared on a network.)
>
>Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated--I'm getting
>desperate. Thanks in advance!=20
>

>.

0
anonymous (74722)
2/14/2005 4:04:29 PM
Have you tried:

<Ctrl> <;> <SpaceBar> <Ctrl> <Shift> <:>
--

HTH,

RD

"Michael Link" <MICHAEL_LINK@MCGRAW-HILL.COM> wrote in message
I know Excel provides shortcuts for entering the date (CTRL + ;) and the
time (CTRL + SHIFT + ;), but I really need one that will enter both the date
and time in the same cell at the same time. (Since Excel does provide
formatting for same-cell date and time, it seems kind of odd that there
isn't
a shortcut to facilitate entry.) Is it possible to create an entirely new
shortcut
that doesn't use macros? (This last point is important, since the workbook
is
shared on a network.)

Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated--I'm getting
desperate. Thanks in advance!

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
2/14/2005 4:05:00 PM
Thanks for the fast feedback--but I don't think that's going to do it =
for me.=20
(See my response to Ron de Bruin, below.) If you have any other ideas, =
I'd=20
really appreciate it!

0
anonymous (74722)
2/14/2005 4:13:37 PM
You must use a macro then

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:131c01c512ae$dcf7bd40$a501280a@phx.gbl...
I thought of that, but (believe it or not) I've had comments from users that
that was too cumbersome.  I've seen way too many cell misentries where (for
example) the space was omitted, rendering the cell unusable for calculations
unless I went in and fixed them manually. I really need a single shortcut to
ensure consistent entry with absolutely minimal errors.

I really appreciate the feedvback, though! Thanks!

0
rondebruin (3790)
2/14/2005 4:15:36 PM
I was kind of afraid of that. Sigh. Thanks for the confirmation, though!

the=20
date
>>and time in the same cell at the same time. (Since Excel does provide
>>formatting for same-cell date and time, it seems kind of odd that =
there
>isn't
>>a shortcut to facilitate entry.) Is it possible to create an entirely =
new
>shortcut
>>that doesn't use macros? (This last point is important, since the=20
workbook
>is
>>shared on a network.)
>>
>>Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated--I'm getting
>>desperate. Thanks in advance!
>>

>>.
>>=20
>

>.

0
anonymous (74722)
2/14/2005 4:34:30 PM
If the problem with the macro and shared workbook is that you can't add any
procedures without unsharing the workbook, then how about adding another
workbook on that shared drive.

It's sole purpose would be to provide that shortcut.

After you create that workbook, you could hide it (windows|hide), close excel
and answer yes to the save prompt.  Then the workbook will open hidden and
nobody will even know it's there.

Yes, the users will have to open it -- but just make that a training issue!

Here's some sample code that may get you started:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
    Application.OnKey "^T", "DoTimeDate"
End Sub
Sub auto_close()
    Application.OnKey "^T"
End Sub
Sub DoTimeDate()
    On Error Resume Next
    With Selection
        .NumberFormat = "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss"
        .Value = Now
    End With
    On Error GoTo 0
End Sub

The shortcut is:  ^T (control-shift-t (ctrl-T))

Michael Link wrote:

> I know Excel provides shortcuts for entering the date (CTRL + ;) and the
> time (CTRL + SHIFT + ;), but I really need one that will enter both the date
> and time in the same cell at the same time. (Since Excel does provide
> formatting for same-cell date and time, it seems kind of odd that there isn't
> a shortcut to facilitate entry.) Is it possible to create an entirely new shortcut
> that doesn't use macros? (This last point is important, since the workbook is
> shared on a network.)
>
> Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated--I'm getting
> desperate. Thanks in advance!

--

Dave Peterson
0

How do I create a sample in Excel?

Time Series
I have about 30000 lines of data that looks like so: Time Count 93000 447 93001 1020 93002 1438 93003 2177 93004 3042 93005 3467 93006 2913 93007 3341 93008 3547 93009 2908 93010 3512 93011 4090 Where ColA is time. I am having trouble creating a graph with time on the x-axis and count on the y-axis. Thank you in advance. You need to make an XY chart But with 30,000 data points you could run into trouble; Help says you can 32,000 data points in a single data series. However, if you want markers it will look like heck. You could limit the data like this: assume y-values in B2:B30001 in ...

Date display in Excel

Duplicate Rows
I have an extract from a student information system in Excel that looks like this. Student Class Grade Quarter John Chemistry 70 1 John Chemistry 80 2 John Math 95 1 John Math 100 2 Alice Chemistry 67 1 Alice Chemistry 47 2 Alice Math 88 1 Alice Math 85 2 What I would like is this: John 70 80 95 100 Alice 67 47 88 85 However, since there are hundreds of students, this would be an extreme pain to do by hand. Is there any built-in formula or function in Excel that can do this? What is it that you actually want to do? (The best approach depends on what your desired end r...

C# Adding Days to a Date
Hello, I have 2 objects: objContract.activeon and objContract.expireson. I am trying to add 364 days to objContract.activeon and assign it to the value of objContractexpireson. ---------------------------------------------------------- // Contract Start Date DateTime dt = DateTime.Now; objContract.activeon = new CrmDateTime(); int iFound = 0; string sTemp = ""; if (objAccount.paymenttermscode.Value == 1) // due on receipt - use Todays Date { objContract.activeon = objInvoice.CFDinvoicedate; } else // ...

Separating Date and Time in a cell

Creating Exchange 2003 organization

Run time error 5 : HQClient

date function #3

Can't create the item #2

Time Format Question
Hello, I currently have time entered like this: 173517 90207 I need to look like this: 5:35 p.m. 9:02 a.m. I've done a ton of research but nothing has worked so far. Thank you. With your values in column AA, try: =TIME(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-4),LEFT(RIGHT(A1,4),2),RIGHT(A1,2)) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201003 "Toria" wrote: > Hello, > I currently have time entered like this: > 173517 > 90207 > > I need to look like this: > 5:35 p.m. > 9:02 a.m. > > I've done a ton of research but nothing has worked so fa...

creating template for multiple emails
How or can one create an email template (same subject line and message)for multiple emails (approx 100's)? Needing to shorten the time it takes sending 100's of individual emails (with the same subject line and same message) to sales staff on a weekly (some times daily) basis. Company does not want sales force using other sales persons email addresses (they are contractors). Try using a Distriburtion List, send one message, it goes to all of them, or get the message ready, put your address in the TO: field, and put everyone else in the BCC: field?? That way no one can see wher...

calendar for multiple time zone users: all day events
Users in different time zones post absences and meetings to a shared company calendar. When an all day event is scheduled in one time zone, it shows as spanning two days for other time zone users. How do we make this work properly? For the others it does intrude on a second day. BossLady wrote: > Users in different time zones post absences and meetings to a shared company > calendar. When an all day event is scheduled in one time zone, it shows as > spanning two days for other time zone users. How do we make this work > properly? Until you upgrade to Outlook...

How do I create upper/lower case letters in cells?
I have a large spreadsheet with names/addresses that are all capitalized. I want to make them upper and lower case (SMITH = Smith). What's the formula? You could create helper cells with this formula =proper(A1) "boz130" wrote: > I have a large spreadsheet with names/addresses that are all capitalized. I > want to make them upper and lower case (SMITH = Smith). What's the formula? ...

Combining Several Worksheet into one
I have over 30 excel worksheets that are: 1. Password protected 2. The sheet is also password protected 3. Each worksheet contains only one tab call "All" and this tab is in the same format and contains the same column in every sheet. 4. It's located in the same folder I need to write a macro that will open all these workbook in this folder and combine the data into one new sheet with only one tab called "All". I am able to write the code to open all the workbook but am having a difficult time figuring out how to copy only the cells with data into the new workbook...

Times
I have an MP3 tag program that exports a list of my MP3's to excel which includes the time for each song. The cell format in the exported file is set to general but I need to have the time entered as [m]:ss so I can total a the time for a number of songs in a cell (with a [h]:mm:ss format) to get a total time which may be over 1 hour. The only way I can seem to do this is by changing the cell format from general to [m]:ss and placing a 0: in front of the time that has already been entered as 04:39, but with over 2000 songs this could take quite a while. Does anyone know if there is an easy...

Option trades with past expiry dates not showing up in Portfolio M
Hello: Money 2006 Portfolio Manager does not show closed option trades that have expiry dates in the past, even when the "show closed positions" is checked. The transactions are still there in the investment accounts, just not visible in portfolio manager. I just called microsoft support and have notified them of the issue and hope that this issue is fixed as an update. If not, it pretty much makes the portfolio manager (and Microsoft Money 2006) useless for option trading investors. "MumbaiBabu" <MumbaiBabu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1...

How do you sort a date range by month?
We are trying to find out how many birthdays fall with in a given month using excel. You could use a helper column, with something like = A2. Format this (Format - Cells - Number - Custom: mmm. Now you can use Data - Subtotals, "At each change in: Month" and "Use function: Count." -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com/ ------------------------------------------- "Brewisc13" <Brewisc13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44E02AAC-8216-43F5-846F-E981E978E44B@microsoft.com... > We are trying to find out how many birthdays fall with in...