Thanks!
0
HalB (9)

Look on Chip's site at www.cpearson.com
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"HalB" <HalB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3781AD3F-EF30-46AA-AC68-DF25ACEC2EB5@microsoft.com...
>I am looking for a way/formula that will count the number of times a cell
> with conditional formatting has occured.
> I have a column of cells that is compared to another column of cells and
> if
> one condition is met (<), the cell's color is set to Red or if another
> condition is met (>) the cell's color is set to Green. I am wanting to add
> column that gives me the total number of Red cell's in that column.
>
> Thanks!

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
2/20/2005 3:45:35 PM
Hal

You should be able to count the cells based upon the condition that turned the
cells red.

e.g.  CF Cell Value is >50 turn red.

Enter formula in a cell  =COUNTIF(A1:A100,">50")

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 07:41:05 -0800, "HalB" <HalB@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am looking for a way/formula that will count the number of times a cell
>with conditional formatting has occured.
>I have a column of cells that is compared to another column of cells and if
>one condition is met (<), the cell's color is set to Red or if another
>condition is met (>) the cell's color is set to Green. I am wanting to add a
>column that gives me the total number of Red cell's in that column.
>
>Thanks!

0
Gord
2/20/2005 5:56:38 PM
Thanks for the response.

The problem is I am having trouble understanding how to check a range of
cells. For instance, Column A contains 18 rows with different values, Column
B contains 18 rows of different values that have conditional formatting
applied based on their comparison to Column A (Red = <) or (Green = >). I am
looking to count the number of times Column B is formatted Red.

Example:

    A   B
1  4    4
2  4    3 (Red)
3  3    4 (Green)
4  5    4 (Red)
5  3    3
19      2 === The result I am looking for.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Hal
>
> You should be able to count the cells based upon the condition that turned the
> cells red.
>
> e.g.  CF Cell Value is >50 turn red.
>
> Enter formula in a cell  =COUNTIF(A1:A100,">50")
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 07:41:05 -0800, "HalB" <HalB@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I am looking for a way/formula that will count the number of times a cell
> >with conditional formatting has occured.
> >I have a column of cells that is compared to another column of cells and if
> >one condition is met (<), the cell's color is set to Red or if another
> >condition is met (>) the cell's color is set to Green. I am wanting to add a
> >column that gives me the total number of Red cell's in that column.
> >
> >Thanks!

0
HalB (9)

Conditional Formatting #29
How can I format a range of cells in a row, based on the conditional format of a single cell in the same row. I am able to get the single cell to change, but I would like the other cells in the range to change colors as well. Thanks, John Hi John 1. Highlight the entire row (e.g. row 1) 2. Goto conditional format 3. You have to enter the condition with an absolute reference. e.g. =$A$1="text" this will change all cells in row 1 if A1 contains "text" HTH Frank John wrote: > How can I format a range of cells in a row, based on > the conditional format of a singl...

Suppres Zero or empty Cell value in a line graph
Hi I'm using Office 2007. I have two charts using data from the same sheet. The second graph is a copy of the first. In the first graph, the empty and zero value cells are not displayed. In the second graph, the zero value cells is displayed (draged to zero) although the option "connect points with line" is checked. The strange thing: if I change the Y-data to another part of the sheet, it is no longer dragged to zero. Even if the cell is empty it's still dragged to zero A formula that returns "" is not an empty cell, it's a formula (or it's a small ...

how do I add a 'web address' to a cell in excel with a hyperlink?
how do I add a 'web address' to a cell in excel with a hyperlink? I am a new student to computers, and part of a test is to insert a hyperlink to a cell in excel linking to a web address. I have searched computer for any 'Hyperlink' connection words, but I think it not on here, Is that possible, although I have top of range computer. Anyone with a solution? I be ever so greatful. in xl2002 ctrl+k>in the link to select existing web page>either type in (at the bottom) or point to the url on your browser>enter -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austi...

Conditional Format #23
I want to format the background of cell to a10 red if a10 is currently empty and the length of the string in a5 is 1. Can somone offer the correct syntax for the conditional format of a10 as everything I try fails. Thanks, Fred You need a condition of Formula is and a formula of =AND(A10="",LEN(A5)=1) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2EBDDC73-FED7-451F-BCF3-A0E819888027@microsoft.com... > I want to format the background of cell to a10 red if a10 is currently...

count if #4
=COUNTIF(B4:B17,"X") this works great with X, but I would like to include L and V in this formula. How would I do this??? Thanks You could do the brute force version: =COUNTIF(B4:B17,"X")+COUNTIF(B4:B17,"L")+COUNTIF(B4:B17,"V") or you could use something like: =SUM(COUNTIF(B4:B17,{"X","L","V"})) This is an array formula. Hit ctrl-shift-enter instead of enter. If you do it correctly, excel will wrap curly brackets {} around your formula. (don't type them yourself.) Kevin wrote: > > =COUNTIF(B4:B17,"...

Publisher File formats
I need to send file in a tif or jpeg format but when I save the file I still get the pub extension after the .tif' Can I not save in anything but pub? Thanks Ray, It would help us to answer your question if you told us which version of Publisher you are using. -- JoAnn Two things are aesthetically perfect in the world - the clock and the cat. --Emile-August Chartier "Ray" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:006101c3dc62$7649ce40$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I need to send file in a tif or jpeg format but when I > save the f...

Linked Cell Property In Activex controls
Can someone point me to an example showing how this property can be used, linking, as an example, an option button to a specific cell? Say if I wanted "1" to appear in cell B2 of the worksheet if the option button is clicked KG, The option button puts TRUE or FALSE into its Linked Cell. You can get 1 or 0 out of that by referring to it with double negation operators. = --A1 -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:924E6B40-6040-4016-B75B...

Removing Blank Cells #3
I would like to know if there is a way to remove the blank columns and rows from a worksheet. There really is no need for this many blank rows in the workpaper I am working on and I assume it contributes to the overall size of the spreadsheet. Thanks in advance. Hi you can't remove them (you can hide them if you like9. Also they do not add up to the size of your worksheet 8at least as long as your used range is correct) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Jeff Mortenson wrote: > I would like to know if there is a way to remove the blank > columns and rows from a works...

Display Sheetname in a cell
I'd like to display a worksheet name "with the body" instead of "in the margins" (ie, using Header / Footer definitions). Is there a built-in mechanism for picking up the worksheet name in a formula? I tried putting Function GetSheetName() As String GetSheetName = ActiveSheet.Name End Function in a code module and " = GetSheetName() " in a cell; but quickly discovered that <F9> doesn't cause the user defined function to re-evaluate. Suggestions? -- Clif Try this: =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("fil...

Hyperlink directly to a cell in a worksheet
Hi there, I'd like to hyperlink directly to a cell in a spreadsheet (spreadsheet opens to a specific cell selected). The link I'm using opens the spreadsheet, but it goes to the same cell everytime. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance for any help. Here's what the link I'm using looks like: www.myserver.com/Payroll_Risks_&_Controls.xls#='Risk Scores 1, 2, or 3'!$A$27 Risk Scores 1, 2, or 3 is the name of the worksheet and A27 is the cell I want to go to. ...

drag and drop problem with cell references
i have a cell with a formula in one worksheet that references another cell. the formula looks like this: =IF((ISBLANK('Draft'!$D25)),"",'Draft'!$D25) where 'draft' is another worksheet in my workbook. the formula works fine, it looks empty if there is nothing in the referenced cell('Draft'!$D25), otherwise it mirrors the content of that cell. If i type something in the referenced cell('Draft'!$D25), it still works great. But if i drag something to the referenced cell than the formula gets screwed up and replaces the $D25, with #ref. I am gue...

Determine if another cell is hidden in a Formula
Hi! I would like to display a special message in a cell when another cell is hidden. Is it possible? Something like (in cell A2): =If(IsHidden(A1), A1, "") I guess I could do it with a user function... but if I use that in a lot of cells (hundreds) it might significantly slow down the refresh speed... Any thoughts ? J Whales ...

Conditional formatting of text
Greetings, all - I am creating a simple spreadsheet template to be distributed to users for data entry purposes. The first column contains the names of the desired data elements. The second column contains the definition for each data element. The definitions are formatted in red text. I intend for the user to remove the definition and replace it with the proper information for each element. For example: Data Element Definition 1.0 LastName The last name of the person to whom questions about the sample should be directed. The user would replace ...

Signature format changes in replies with Outlook 2007
Hi We are using Outlook 2007 and are finding that our signatures will sometimes change font and spacing in reply messages. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks ...

Need help removing characters in multiple cells
I have an excel 2007 sheet that has over 300 cells in a column that have a name of a store plus a number between paranethesis. Is there a one step way I can remove the paranethesis? Here is an example: K-Mart (ABC#73846365) and I want to have just the following K-Mart Each cell has a different store name and set of numbers within the paranethesis. Thanks Select the range to fix. Edit|replace what: _(* (spacebar, open paren, asterisk) with: (leave blank) replace all It looked like you'd want to remove the space character after the t in k-mart. "<----- Mardm...

multiple conditional formats
How can I set up a worksheet for more than 3 conditional formats You can't. You would have to use a VBA macro to apply the formatting, which would be static and not change with changes in the cell values -- you'd have to run the macro again. On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:57:03 -0700, "RC" <RC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I set up a worksheet for more than 3 conditional formats On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:57:03 -0700, "RC" <RC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I set up a worksheet for more than 3 conditional formats You can use ...

Percentage format lost
I have a form with an unbound text box whose row source type is this select query: SELECT CheckFinalPercentages.AllocType, CheckFinalPercentages.[Master-Sub], CheckFinalPercentages.SumOfPERCOUT AS Pct FROM CheckFinalPercentages ORDER BY CheckFinalPercentages.AllocType DESC , CheckFinalPercentages.[Master-Sub]; The query runs fine and returns the SumOfPERCOUT in percent format when I run the query...it used to return it in percent format also on the form, but I must have done something that made me lose it. Now, each time I open the form, the third column is returned in number format (1...

remember path when linking many GIFs to cells?
When I link a number of GIF images residing in a different directory to Excel 2002 cells, the program does not remember the last directory it looked in when a new link is entered. Is there a way to set up a default path for this boring operation? Thanks, z.entropic ...

How do I change the format of how my active cell in Excel is view.
I sometimes have trouble locating which cell is active in my Excel worksheet. I would like to be able to change it to something other than just a heavy black border. Here is one way that highlights the row and column of the activecell. Private Sub WorkSheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Cells.FormatConditions.Delete With Target.EntireRow .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE" .FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 35 End With With Target.EntireColumn .FormatConditions.Delete .FormatConditions.Add T...

format changes on pivot table although preserve formatting is che.
Post the question the body of the message, subject lines get truncated -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Aannd" <Aannd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:282F34F1-42CA-4F0A-8A62-A71C64E30741@microsoft.com... > ...

FRx catalog print in Excel format
We're on FRx SP10. My main user wants to know if we can print out the Catalog of Reports in Excel format. I've not seen where we can but to make sure, can we? -- Sandy GP Sys Admin / Proj Sys Analyst If you can print to an Adobe pdf you can get it into Excel. After it is a pdf document you can copy/paste it into Excel. It works well for the summary catalog report but not the detail. the detail report wants to print each catalog on a separate page. "GP Guy in AZ" wrote: > We're on FRx SP10. My main user wants to know if we can print out the Catalog > o...

make cell show blank when total is zero
Here is my formula: =COUNTIF(OFFSET('Daily MP'!$A:$A,0,MATCH(H$3,'Daily MP'!$5:$5,0)-1),"*" & $B8 & "*") When the total is zero, how do I show the cell as blank instead of having a 0 show in the cell? Hi you could use a custom format such as 0.0;-0.0; -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "jtinne" <jtinne@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0B58C97D-34AF-43FA-AFB7-51C90ABD3363@microsoft.com... > Here is my formula: > =COUNTIF(OFFSET('Daily MP'!$A:$A,0,MATCH(H$3,'Daily MP'!$5:$5,0)-1),&...

Counting Different Values
Well here we go, i have coloum B which has the name of the person and column F has the number now i want to have a summary page which has : Name & Number from the other page counted up. For Example: Robert Smith 10 Robert Smith XX Jim Smith 10 Jim Cox 10 Jim Cox XX Jim Cox 10 and on the summary page it has: Robert Smith - 10 Total: 1 Robert Smith - XX Total: 1 J...

Help with counting values that have different endings
Hi guys, i just joined SQLMONSTER and was wondering if you guys can help me with this problem... I have 10 columns and 8,000,000 rows which have stock ticker names and exchange tickers-like the following: [Column A] AQR.L GDY.LS NBAE.LS (blank) 0023CA.S FOR.L AQR.KZ ... ... How do I find the number of unique ticker names in my database and disregard the .L, .LS, .S, .L, .KZ endings (because I am looking for the unique tickers, not the exchange). I.E., I want the values counted to be only AQR, GDY, NBAE, 0023CA, FOR or 5 values (I don't want AQR to be counted twice becau...

How do I change a macro to use relative cell addresses?
When I record a macro, it uses absolute cell addresses. How do I change the macro to run from a specific cell and relative to that cell? try activecell.offset(1,2) However, I suspect you are using a lot of SELECTIONS which usually aren't necessary. Why not copy/paste your code here along with an explanation of what you are trying to do. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Roger D" <Roger D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D6AC8E62-A990-4BE2-9B4F-BF3EDECE504D@microsoft.com... > When I record a macro, it uses absolute cell addresses. Ho...