Counting cells with a specified frequency(how many times it appear

Hi,
    I want to sum up cells thats has any word appearing 10 times in the
column. In the other words, the specified word can be anything. The end
result is to the sum up cells that has any word appear 10 times in the column.

eg.
          column 1
row 1  a two the
row 2  two 924 the
row 3  the desk to
row 4  let's can to two

if i want to sum up the cells that has any word appearing twice, the result
will be 1
word frequency of 3, the answer will be 2 (row 1 - the  & two, row 2, row 3
- the, row 4 two)

Thanks

0
Kelvin (49)

Linking Time-varying charts
Hi all, Here's my problem. I've got a set of Excel files with monthly data which is updated every month. So in January I only have Jan data. In February I have Jan and Feb data, and so on. The chart I have for this data always displays a full 18 months data from October 2003 to March 2005, and as more data is added, the line on the chart snakes its way from left to right. These files are submitted to me from various sources. As a central data collector, I now want to link these Excel files into a single Excel file which will display all the charts in one place for convenience. Ho...

Excel VB-Copy formula down until adjacent cell (left) is blank?
Here is exactly what I am trying to do through VB in Excel: Weekly data pull fills colums A:G. Row count is always different. I am modifying the data pull through VB, and I have a VLOOKUP formula in cell H2. What I want VB to do is copy that formula down column H to the last row (with data) each week. I guess I want it to be dynamic so that as rows decrease/increase the formula is only copied down to the final row/record. I know someone out of this smart group will know how to do this! Thanks in advance! Tony (pseudo code) in a macro .... dim lngLastrow as long dim rngTarget...

Read Online Statement -- All the Time in Money 2006?
I just upgraded to Money 2006 from the '04 edition. It appears that it always wants me to "Read Online Statement" for all of my investment accounts, even though there's been no actual transactions in the funds. I think all that's changed is the price of the fund or stock for the day. I don't think earlier versions worked this way, and it seems odd that it asks mne to Read the Online Statement after doing nothing than grabbing the day's latest prices. Is this what everyone is experiencing, and am I the only way to find this odd? Thanks, Paul Pinella Radar Media G...

Q: Referencing named cells in external worksheet ?
Using Excel 2002. I have a workbook with 12 worksheets (one for every month of the year), wherein a lot of the information is looked-up (using VLOOKUP) in simples arrays. I saw no point in implementing the arrays as a 13th worksheet, because I will have a yearly version of my monthly worksheets in one workbook (so one for 2003, 2004, etc). If I change the array(s), I want them to be reflected in all referencing cells. Problem: If my workbook containing my arrays (called "Global") is loaded, I have no problem and the references to it read as: (blabla) 'Global.xls'!Roster ...

Limitations to # of Decimal places for seconds (time)? #2
Bernie Deitrick Wrote: > Xprezons, > > Are you really recording every 1/10 millionth of a second? And, yes > Excel > limits you to three decimal places on the seconds > > Thanks a ton for your help, Bernie. I guess this is what I have to do. And yes, the system does log time to the accuracy of 6 decimal digits. Thanks and Regards, Xprezons -- Xprezon ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Xprezons's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1505 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread....

Visible cell characters
Can I increase the # of characters that are visible in a cell? 67 Excel Help on "limits" or "specifications" reveals that Excel will allow 32,767 characters to be entered in a cell. However, it goes on to state that "only 1024 characters will be visible or can be printed" To work around this limitation, stick a few ALT + ENTERs in at appropriate spots. The ALT + ENTER forces a line-feed and expands the 1024 limit. How far is not really known. Just experiment. .........From Dave Peterson.......... I put this formula in A1: ="xxx"& REPT(REPT(&...

Cell Reference Problem with Network
Let's say I have a spreadsheet with two worksheets = SheetA and SheetB. SheetA might reference a cell in SheetB with a formula like =SheetB!A1 But when I move this to the network the reference changes to include the network drive and file name like: ='Z:\FOLDER\[FILE]SheetB!A1 the file may move from my laptop to the network several times and this becomes completely confusion as the reference looks, not within the same spreadsheet which is what I want it to to, but for another file out on the network. How do I explicitly reference a cell within a difference worksheet but alwa...

How to generate a truly empty cell
"" generates a zero-length string, not a truly empty cell. This is causing problems elsewhere. I'd like to find an output for an IF statement that will give me a truly empty cell. The current formula is: =IF(COUNT(C24:C29)>0,SUM(C24:C29),"") Any ideas? If it involves a macro (as I think it might, having read other posts), please explain how to implement it. Thanks! <This is causing problems elsewhere> It shouldn't. Don't use ISBLANK(A1), use A1="" -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "paulkaye" <paulmjkaye@gm...

Splitting cells
in cell A1 i have the numbers 123456789. i want cell B1 to have numbers 1234567 and cell C1 to have just 89. what is the formula? i have tried text to columns If this is for extracting the first 7 characters use LEFT() =LEFT(A1,7) =RIGHT(A1,2) -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "fazz" wrote: > in cell A1 i have the numbers 123456789. i want cell B1 to have numbers > 1234567 and cell C1 to have just 89. what is the formula? i have tried text > to columns Hello Jacob - i did not explain this very well.The digits in cell A1 is variable length. In cell C1 i n...

Specify account to send from
I tried replying to a work email earlier tonight and after I sent it, although I specified which account to send the email from, the saved sent message said it had been sent from my personal (default) account. I've got four accounts on Outlook, so I tested them against each other and found that all my messages sent from my personal (default) account came through fine, but all the messages sent from the other accounts to my personal (default) account said they had been sent by my personal (default) account. Anyone have an idea why this is happening and how I can fix it? ...

sum and times within text boxes
I want to multiply text boxs ie 4(1box)x $1.00(2box)=Total $4.00 (3box). I also want sum total (5 text boxes) for grand total. Is this feasible on form?? Thanks On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:58:01 -0800, He cries for help <Hecriesforhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Have you tried an expression like: =[1box] * [2box] (assuming your control names are 1box and 2box. This expression would go in 3box' Control Source property. -Tom. >I want to multiply text boxs ie 4(1box)x $1.00(2box)=Total $4.00 (3box). >I also want sum total (5 text boxes) for grand total. > >Is this ...

Setting multiple meeting times for different attendees on the same day
I am a recruiter and use Outlook to schedule interviews with out of town candidates. It's critical that all my interviewers be available on the same date but at different times during the day. I would like to be able to pull up all of my interviewers' schedules at the same time and schedule them in different time slots but only having to send one meeting request. Example: I have 5 managers that will be interviewing the same person on the same day at different times. I have to list them all as "required attendees", check their schedules, then back out and send o...

Validation rule to prevent overlapping time periods
I have a table: InactID-AutoNumber PreceptorID-Number InactStart-Date/Time InactEnd-Date/Time I don't want records that have overlapping time periods for a PreceptorId. I tried: [InactStart] < (DLookUp("[InactEnd]","tblInactive","[PreceptorID]=" & [PreceptorID] & " and [InactID]=" & [InactID]-1)) but found that the DLOOKUP function was not permitted in a table validation rule. Any suggestions? You won't be able to use a table validation rule here. Instead, use the BeforeUpdate event procedure of the *form* where the data...

making a sum outcome negative based on adjacent cell value
I have 3 columns of single figures. At present i'm using the sumproduc fuction to multiply and total the figures in column A that fall betwee 4 and 9 with the adjacent figure in column B... =SUMPRODUCT(--($A1:$A600>=4),--($A1:$A600<=9),($B1:$B600),($A1:$A600) I'd like to add column C to the formula, so that if it contained value of -1, 1 or 2, the sum of the adjacent figures in columns A and appears as a negative number. For example A3= 7, B3= 2, C3= 1 Outcome= -14 A4= 9, B4= 1, C4= 5 Outcome= 9 A5= 3, B5= 2, C5= 2 No sum because figure in column A ...

Calcualting the time between email received date and reply date
Hi My boss wants data as to within how many days a reply was sent to a message. Is it possible in microsoft outlook to find out after how many days a message got replied? Thanks Shanks Shanks <Shanks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My boss wants data as to within how many days a reply was sent to a > message. Is it possible in microsoft outlook to find out after how > many days a message got replied? WIth Outlook 2003, one can observe the received time and compare it to the "You replied" time shown in the Info Bar. -- Brian Tillman Hi Brian Is there a...

Merged Cells
I have imported data into Excel. The left-hand column has merged cells containing a reference number. The remaining columns contain varying records associated with the reference number, a one to many ratio. I need to display the worksheet so that the appropriate reference number is displayed in the left-hand column for each of the records in the worksheet. There are hundreds of reference numbers. Is there an automated way to do this besides unmerging each section and copying the reference number into the now unmerged cells? Thank you. ...

HOW to COUNT THE FREQUENCY of specific CHARACTER WITHIN a CELL?
How can a frequency of a specific character be counted with in a cell. Ex -" #4 Bluebirds, #6 Aquatic" is in cell B2 - how do I count the number of "#" that appear in cell B2? =LEN(B2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B2,"#","")) HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >How can a frequency of a specific character be counted with in a cell. Ex -" >#4 Bluebirds, #6 Aquatic" is in cell B2 - how do I count the number of "#" >that appear in cell B2? >. > ...

Cutom Time Format
I want to format a cell with a custom time format that will allow my users to type in the time without the colons. [1014 = 10:14]. I've tried several different ways of setting up a custom format to do this, but nothing works. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks! -- Sherry Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const WS_RANGE As String = "H1:H10" On Error GoTo ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = False If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range(WS_RANGE)) Is Nothing Then With Target .Value = TimeSerial(Int(.Value / 100), _ ...

How many decimal places can a cell display?
How many decimal places can be displayed in a cell? I'm running a brute force VBA procedure of finding fractions that will approximate pi to as many decimal places as Excel will display, but I don't know how many decimal places Excel will display accurately. Anybody know? I guess this is also a matter of how many decimal places VBA will calculate accurately as well. Sub PiFractions() Dim dividend As Integer, divisor As Integer, quotient As Double Dim rowpointer As Byte rowpointer = 1 For dividend = 22 To 10000 For divisor = 7 To dividend \ 3 quotient = dividend / diviso...

COUNT /COUNTIF for Multiple Column Defined Dynamic Named Range
Hi, Would like to use Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS" in Formula. The Dynami Named Range "RESULTS" spans 30 COLUMNS and many ROWS. Need help with Formula to COUNT specified criteria in each separat COLUMN of the Defined Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS". Looking for on Formula that can be adapted with an OFFSET / INDEX to work on the othe COLUMNS. Example Results required from Formula: COLUMN 1 in Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS" - COUNT instances of numbe 75 COLUMN 2 in Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS" - COUNT instances of numbe 75 COLUMN 30 in Dy...

When pasting the cell content sometimes disappears when scrolling
When I paste information from a different source into Excel and scroll down the text in certain columns is disappearing. When I scroll back up some of it reappears and some disappears again. The template was originally created in Excel 2003 (I think) and we've just upgraded to 2007 so I'm assuming it has something to do with that as I've never come across this problem before. Is there a setting I need to change or do we need to start the template all over again. It's quite a complex template so that would have to be my last option. Any help appreciated. Many thanks...

Project data and time imported into Excel
Hi I am exporting date fields from Microsoft Project into Excel, the problem I am having is finding a way of getting rid of the time portion as it is interferring with the calculation. I understand that a date and time is stored as a double, the integer part is the date and the decimal part is the time. I would like to easily remove the decimal part of the imported part. Any help would be good. thanks daryl You might want to split the time and date into two separate columns. If your date/time is in A1, you can split them like this: B1: =INT(A1) C1: =MOD(A1,1) Format the cell...

Setting Cell Color within a Cell
I'm using quick test professional which uses Excel DataTables, but with half the functionality. I'm basically exporting a the datatable from Mercury quick test to excel. With in my quick test script I'm performing a compare between two excel documents, and I wish to represent the difference with a Red background. Basically, Is they anyway in which I could add so code within my cell that would automatically change the back ground color. Example: My result is 4.13. I would then change this variable within quicktest to something like vbRed.4.13. Then when it gets sen...

Adding Formula to Existing Cells
In Excel, I have a column with various numbers in each row. I want to multiple each number by 1.02. Short of doing this with extra columns, is there a way to use find/replace and add *1.02 to whatever is already existing in each cell? Paige, Enter 1.02 in some blank cell and copy that cell. Then select the number you want to multiply by 1.02. Go to the Edit menu, choose Paste Special, and choose the Multiply operation. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "paige" <anonymous@discussio...

SUM cells in every other column IF adjacent cell equals a criteria???
I'm setting up a spreadsheet that will be added to daily. Each day has two columns... column A is a drop down list with limited choices (lets say 2). Column B will be a number. Day two will be column C and D... C will be the drop down list and D will be a number. Day three will be column E and F and so on. Now the tricky part is for me to SUM the numbers from each day for the matching drop down choice. Example: I want to SUM B1,D1,F1... but only if A1,C1,E1... equals the criteria. Trying to be as clear as possible... what I should have in the end is 2 (the drop down choices) different ce...