Count unique names in a list

hi
How do I count a list of names, some names appear more than once.  I only
want to count unique names.
I use excel 2007
Thanks
Cassie

One way...

=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A20<>"")/COUNTIF(A2:A20,A2:A20&""))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Cassie" <Cassie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi
> How do I count a list of names, some names appear more than once.  I only
> want to count unique names.
> I use excel 2007
> Thanks
> Cassie

For range of B1:B20.

=SUMPRODUCT((B1:B20<>"")/COUNTIF(B1:B20,B1:B10&""))

"Cassie" wrote:

> hi
> How do I count a list of names, some names appear more than once.  I only
> want to count unique names.
> I use excel 2007
> Thanks
> Cassie
Brad

Thanks this works fine

What would the formula be if I also needed to count all the unique names by
month.  The months are in col c.  the names appear multiple times in the file
at least once in each month - I only want to count John Smith once in January
but his name appears 4 times.

Cassie

"Brad Vogt" wrote:

> For range of B1:B20.
>
> =SUMPRODUCT((B1:B20<>"")/COUNTIF(B1:B20,B1:B10&""))
>

> "Cassie" wrote:
>
> > hi
> > How do I count a list of names, some names appear more than once.  I only
> > want to count unique names.
> > I use excel 2007
> > Thanks
> > Cassie
He's behind you
--
Mike

question.

"T. Valko" wrote:

> One way...
>
> =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A20<>"")/COUNTIF(A2:A20,A2:A20&""))
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "Cassie" <Cassie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi
> > How do I count a list of names, some names appear more than once.  I only
> > want to count unique names.
> > I use excel 2007
> > Thanks
> > Cassie
>

> .

I know!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Mike H" <MikeH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> He's behind you
> --
> Mike

> question.
>

> "T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> One way...
>>
>> =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A20<>"")/COUNTIF(A2:A20,A2:A20&""))
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "Cassie" <Cassie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > hi
>> > How do I count a list of names, some names appear more than once.  I
>> > only
>> > want to count unique names.
>> > I use excel 2007
>> > Thanks
>> > Cassie
>>

>> .

Compare two file/colunms, hide row not does not equal list.
Excel 2000 -have two files. File "A" has 1 through 4155 records (rows with three columns) in numerical order. File "B", has a list of almost 200 rows/numbers (one column) from file "A". How can I hide the rows in file "A", not are listed in file "B"? Thanks, Jerry Not sure whether you are still monitoring this post, Jerry. Anyway, here's some thoughts ventured .. Conceptually, you should be able to achieve this via setting up a helper col and then autofiltering on the helper. Let's start by simplifying the scenario by having bo...

Virtual list ctrl and LVIF_PARAM
Hi, This is from MSDN documentation on virtual list control. "...Virtual list controls maintains very little item information. Except for the item selection and focus information, all item information is managed by the owner of the control. Information is requested by the framework via a LVN_GETDISPINFO notification message..." "...In the handler for the LVN_GETDISPINFO notification message, you must check to see what type of information is being requested. The possible values are: ... - LVIF_PARAM The lParam member must be filled in. ... You should then supply whatever...

A document with the name "xx" is already open......
Opening excel documents directly from the My Documents folder with the program not open we get the following error message: "A document with the name "xxx.xls" is already open. You cannot open ttwo documents with the same name, even if the documents are in different folders. To open the second document, either close the document that's currently open or rename one of the documents" No other documents are open. When we close the error message everything is fine. When we first open Excel and then open from there, we do not get this error message. How can we...

Known Email Address in distribution list bounces back
Hi, I've got an address that is an external contact in Exchange as a member of a distribution group. The email address is definately a good one as single emails to that address get through ok, but anything sent to the distribution list gives the sender a bounceback from the contact's address. Anyone got any ideas? Many thanks Rich =?Utf-8?B?TWNEaXRjaA==?= <McDitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:FE088019-435A-4864-8607-4F3BD4812A16@microsoft.com: > I've got an address that is an external contact in Exchange as a > member of a distribution group. The e...

Pulling data from individual files to master list
Hello, I've just been entering the world of Excel for the past few months, as I started a new job last year and my main duty is to bring the company into the 21st century (or even the late 20th, at this point). What I'd like to do sounds a little backwards, but I think it's the way to go, if it's possible: I'm creating individual sheets for our products, so that all the relevant info for, say, product A001 is shown on one sheet named "A001.xls". But I would also like to create a "master" list. I say "master" in quotes because it's not r...

Create task and sub-task lists using the calendar
Looking for the best way to organize 10 task subjects. Some having as many as 5 sub-tasks, as well as creating to do lists for 4 employees. I set these up in the Folder List and would like to drag these into the Calendar allowing me to print each person a To Do List. A friend suggested Categorizing ,but I like having the folders all visible in the Outlook Shortcuts. Any help would be appreciated. ...

LDAP and Check Names
We currently have Outlook 2003 connected to an Exchange 5.5 server (neither of these products can be upgraded), and our organisation has an LDAP server. I have added the LDAP server into Outlook, and if you go to the Address book and do a search, it returns all the values it is supposed to. However, you change the order of the address books so that the LDAP server is searched first, type a name (surname or forename) into the "To" box and click check names then the LDAP server is not searched. Instead the following error is generated: "The search request to the L...

How can I count unique values in a query in the report footer
Am using Access 2003 I have a report that gives me the count of the status of individuals . This works fine as long is there is only one record in the query (in my query there is one record per month). When I query 12 months (individuals may appear in various months) it counts each record of an individual. For Example in a query considering 12 months for a widow Jones it may count her 12 times and for a survivor named Smith may count her 8 times: Widows 12 Survivors 8 I would like to add a count in the report footer that will tell me how many unique individuals I have in the repo...

count.if
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------546803732AB8FAF86B0B460C Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Is there a way to count the number of cells in a range base on the format of the cell? I.e. in a range the number of red cells? Thanks for any suggestions gianni --------------546803732AB8FAF86B0B460C Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="giandomenico.rocchi.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Description: Card for Giandomenico Rocchi Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="giandomenico.rocch...

Distribution List error #2
I have Exchange running as part of a Small Biz Server. When we try to create a DL of external address's (like 180 addresses) we get an error saying that we have exceeded the max size of the DL. I can't find anything that provides any indication of a limit such as this. Thanks again, Mark Semans 180 certainly isn't the limit of a multi-valued attribute in AD.... Did you try creating another DL to confirm it wasn't specific to that particular object? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog -------------------------...

CRM
Hi, I've got a problem to import data into drop down list (CRM). I alreday try cdf tools. But, when I execute the "p_cdf_PopulateStringMap" nothing happens! The cdf_StringMap is not completed... Help! someone has an idea to resolve my problem ? thanks regards, When you have installed the Data Migration Framework, you have also got 2 executables. You can (probably) find them in this folders: c:\program files\microsoft crm data migration tool\cdf c:\program files\microsoft crm data migration tool\cdfmigration one of the tools is called initializecdf.exe. Run this tool and...

How to create my own generic list?
I'm still new at C# or any OO program and my coworkers are all at a seminar this week. How do I create my own "generic list" that implements all the features of the .net generic list<string> plus a method to fill itself from strings in an external file. Is there a simple template somewhere I could start with? Do I just inherit from generic list and add my method? thanks, LJB "LJB" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:O%23EBRGuuKHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > I'm still new at C# or any OO program and my coworkers a...

Canadian CRM Discussion List
Hi all: If anyone working with CRM is located in Canada, please let me know as I would like to get some discussion groups going. Thanks. John. John Feel free to ask any crm questions here as we have an international audience "John Straumann" <jstraumann@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:eMioB96qDHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi all: > > If anyone working with CRM is located in Canada, please let me know as I > would like to get some discussion groups going. > > Thanks. > > John. > > ...

Go to specific line in numbered list?
Hey all, I have a question that will hopefully save me a lot of time! I'm working on my dissertation, and my data (transcription of speech) is formatted in a very long numbered list. The thing is that there are often more than one actual lines per list item, like so: 1) ____________________________________ _______________________________________ ____________ 2) ____________________________________ ______________________________________ etc. What I have been trying to figure out is a way to jump to a specific *list number*, rather than actual line number. I have a lis...

Sort By Account Name in Activities
Does anyone know if this is possible? I have tried customising through : http://crm/tools/viewEditor/viewManager.aspx?id={00000000-0000-0000-00AA-000010001903}but this only allows you to add 6 field names that i don't want. Is there a way to add "Company Name" to the list of columns i can add or is there another way around this?ThanksSimon ...

Same display name in Contact Attribute
We recently upgraded from v 3 to 4. Now I am trying to import my contacts but an error is displayed: "There are two columns in Microsoft Dynamics CRM with the same display name. Change the display name for one of the columns in Microsoft Dynamics CRM before importing." I went to customizations to check which are the two attributes and they are: utconversiontimezonecode timezoneruleversionnumber Both dont have a display name and both are system attributes. What woudl be a workaround? ...

Local and Internet name...
Hello, I got a problem with a exchange 2003 SBS. The domain name ( let say 123.org ) is by a provider , I configured pop3 connector to pik up email, this works fine. As some 123.org users are in my lan and others around the country, I got a problem when I try to send a mail to the users that are not configured in my server. The exchange server server answer me that the user is unknown. I heve certainely configured the server as as the FQDN 123.org name mail name and this is my problem. So my question is, can I change that and where. Thank you very much for any help. Jean-Pierre ...

counting totals, but not using "like"
Morning all, i have a pretty simple query totaling up the Incidents for a year. The field I am looking up is a text field, that has a lookup to another table (I know, most people don't like that, but I have a lot of options there) When I run the query: SELECT Count(tblSENEIncidentLogCY.[NATURE OF DISTRESS]) AS [CountOfNATURE OF DISTRESS] FROM tblDISTRESS INNER JOIN tblSENEIncidentLogCY ON tblDISTRESS.DISTRESS = tblSENEIncidentLogCY.[NATURE OF DISTRESS]; no problem, gives me a Total number of all entries in that field. What I am trying to do is have a number of only t...

Extract list using functions
Hi, can anyone help with the following: I want to extract items in a list and show them in another worksheet. An example of the master list would be: Name Dollars Quantity Months Customer1 $ Q 12 Customer2 $ Q 12 Customer3 $ Q 6 I want to be able to extract all those customers which have less than 12months data (as indicated in the month column). I want to be able to do this using functions in another worksheet and list those seperately there. Is there a way to do this? Elijah Hi y...

Automatically populating distribution lists in a public contact folder
We have a custom application which we wrote to add contacts in a public contact folder and to create and populate distribution lists in the same folder. One one machine, everything works fine, but on another machine, the distribution lists do not always get populated. Our application does not indicate any sort of error. We are using the outlook application automation object to create these items. We have been unable to determine why it works on one or two machines, but only sometimes on others. All machines are using Outlook 2003 SP1. ...

Best way to make name tags?
I need to set up a template for some name tags to be 3.5" by 2.5". Is there an easier way to do this besides messing around with text boxes? I was trying to do it through the Custom Publication through Page Setup, but then they all have to be exact same and I can't change the names for each tag. I don't have any special paper or anything, just the measurements that they need to be. Any thoughts or guidance would be very much appreciated! Are you planning a mail merge so each name tag will be different? If you plan to print many tags on a page and cut them yourself, your...

SQL Server Name error
I keep getting an error when installing the Data Migration Framework that says: "Setup cannot proceeed because it failed to get the SQL server name" Anybody have any ideas for me. Are you installing it on the same machine that you already have CRM installed on? Sounds like it might not be finding the registry entries from the main install. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:47:20 -0500, "Brian Mahloch" <bmahloch@rhinosystems.com> wrote: I keep getting an error when installing the ...

Lists, Excel 2003, automatic subtotals
I have created a List using Excel 2003. I have sorted the list on the selected field. Instructions say to select a cell outside the list and select Data, Subtotal. However, the Subtotal is grayed. Therefore, the Subtotal dialog box is not available. I have done this in the past with Excel 2002; then one had to be in the list for the Subtotal dialog box to be available. However, if I go inside the List, it doesn't work either. Any help would be appreciated. Hi Suomi, > I have created a List using Excel 2003. I have sorted the > list on the selected field. Ins...

I want to show chart data in order of bars, not row names
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to show a chart that has about 20 values, and I have sorted the source data so that I have the highest value items at the top and the lowest value items at the bottom. For example, if rows were Apple, Banana, Guava, Orange, and Yucca, I have sorted the data in order of the greatest value items (20 Guavas, 10 Oranges, 5 yucca, 2 bananas, and 1 apple). Yet the chart (a bar chart) only seems to let me display in either ascending or descending value by food name (either Apple to Yucca or Yucca to Apple...

Validation list
Is there a way of using a list from another worksheet without having to bring the list into the current worksheet? Hi! Use a defined name. Sheet2!A1:A10 named List Data validation Allow list Source =List Biff >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way of using a list from another worksheet without having >to bring the list into the current worksheet? > >. > If you name the list on the other sheet, you can refer to it by name in the data validation dialog box. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html smskater wrote: > Is ther...