Corupt excel file ???

I have a excel file that seems to want to open, but then when it is done
opening, There is no data or blank sheet.  It goes though the possess
and say's at the bottom ready opening but then there is nothing and the
screen look's like I just opened Excel but no spread sheet. I then can
go to file open another sheet and it works. (Not the one I wont) any
body help. of coarse we don�t have a backup??? Email:
bhogan@emediaofli.com

---

First, check to see if the file is actually loaded.

Click on Window and see if it appears at the bottom of the list.
If it does, maybe it's just off the visible screen.
Window|Arrange|tiled (and resize by hand)

If not, make sure that it's not hidden:
Under window, there's an option to Hide or Unhide (if something is hidden).

If you see "unhide", then unhide your workbook and save it unhidden.

====

If none of that works, can you open the workbook via File|open (as opposed to
double clicking on it in windows explorer)?

If that works, then sometimes one of these works:

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

An alternative might be to do:
Try Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

"acs096 <" wrote:

> I have a excel file that seems to want to open, but then when it is done
> opening, There is no data or blank sheet.  It goes though the possess
> and say's at the bottom ready opening but then there is nothing and the
> screen look's like I just opened Excel but no spread sheet. I then can
> go to file open another sheet and it works. (Not the one I wont) any
> body help. of coarse we don�t have a backup??? Email:
> bhogan@emediaofli.com
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
1/28/2004 2:40:48 AM
It may be that the workbook has been saved as hidden. Open it and see if
you can do Window/Unhide.

---

Bought Pub 2003 now it won't open my Pub 2003 file
I just bought Publisher 2003 yesterday. I spent 3 hours creating a project. I tried to laod the saved project and got the message "Publisher can not open file. I tried open pun 97 files with the same result. I've used Publisher 2.0, 97 for years. What am I missing? Most likely you are running Norton Anti-Virus. Norton AV can actually break a Publisher file rendering it unusable. You need to disable script-blocking and possibly the Office plug-in components of Norton AV. Refer to http://www.davidbartosik.com/pub2002/pub2002_issues.htm -- David Bartosik - MS MVP for Publisher help...

Excel Data Querry using criteria from Cell
Hello, I have created a data query in Excel using DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA - NEW DATABASE QUERY and then selecting Access and browsing to an query within an Access database. This query returns all data into excel, but I would like to limit the criteria based on what a user has typed into a cell in the Excel workbook. I thought this could be accomplished by clicking DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA then PARAMETERS but the PARAMETERS option is grayed out. I can select EDIT CURRENT QUERY, but this just brings me into the Microsoft query, where I don't see any options to query based on...

How to convert Quicken QFX files?
I am unable to convert a Quicken QFX file to be used in Microsoft Money 2003. Any ideas? In microsoft.public.money, Greg wrote: >I am unable to convert a Quicken QFX file to be used in >Microsoft Money 2003. Any ideas? Have you tried File->Import? ...

Excel 2003 not understanding Access 2003 "like"
I have a number of Access queries linked and displayed in an Excel workbook by way of Data, Import External Data, Import Data. Some of the criteria and select statements in the queries use the keyword "Like" (e.g. Like "*Smith" to pull up all names ending in "Smith"). These statements seem to be completely ignored by Excel so that records I should see are not appearing in the workbook. This worked fine in versions 97 (from which we've just upgraded) so is this a version 2003 bug? If so, is there a fix? ...

Change 2007 excel Autofilter back to 2003?
Does anyone know if there is a way to change excel's 2007 autofilter functionality back to like excel 2003 autoflilter use to work? I need to quickly bring up like values and compare other columns based upon the filtered values and the extra clicking of the check boxes is driving me nuts! If it helps any (and if you haven't thought about it yet), you can click the "(Select All)" entry twice to remove your current selections. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "jonnybrovo815" <jonnybrovo815@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36837406-1...

How do I print a text file ?
Hi, I am new to the group and wonder if any of you could offer any advice. I am trying to print a text file directly from my visual c++ application to the default printer without displaying the print dialog What is the best way of doing this ? If it is not possible to print directly from a text file, what commands to I use in between CDC::StartPage () To print the following Hello, my name is Joe Bloggs How are you I hope you can help with this problem etc..... CDC::EndPage () Thanks in advance Paul Paul, More info on printing than you can comfortably shake a stick at: http://www....

publishing images with Excel workbook
I have created an workbook with Excel and put a photo on the first page. when I publish the workbook as an web page (interactivity) my photo is missing. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? I have try everything I know to do = insert picture, putting copying photo to clipboard and shift, pasta picture and still logo is missing. Lee ...

How do I create a Cost Volume Profit Graph in Excel?
I was wondering if I could get some help on how to create a CVP graph in Excel 2007. A cost volume profit shows how costs, revenues, and profits vary with volume (sales). You can either plot total cost, or fixed and variable costs, which add up to total costs. One way to show this is to make a break-even chart. Put unit sales (number of items sold) in the first column, fixed costs in the second (which are a constant), variable costs in the third column (these are typically a straight line through zero), and in the fourth insert formulas that sum fixed and variable costs to make total ...

enumerating file on a directory
hi, How can i enumerate files on a directory based on a filter like "*.h" and store the result on an array on VC++. tnx, hope you guys can help. I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you? http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html Look For CFileFind Class if working in MFC or FindFirstFile FindNextFile or FindClose if you project based on Win32 -- cheers, Alok Gupta Visit me at http://alok.bizhat.com "lawrence" <las@cybees.com> wrote in message news:#NvsWCRXFHA.2796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > hi, How can i enumerate files on a directory based on a filter...

Outlook pst file
My original pst file was about 30 mb in size. Somehow it is corrupted and showing only 30 kb in size. I am not able to recover my previous info. Is there any way to retrieve info from this pst. You could try the inbox repair tool, scanpst.exe David "Ajay" <ajayget@indiatimes.com> wrote in message news:07e301c358de$6534d0d0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > My original pst file was about 30 mb in size. Somehow it > is corrupted and showing only 30 kb in size. I am not able > to recover my previous info. Is there any way to retrieve > info from this pst. ...

how can I split a single cell diagonally in Excel 2000
Anyone out there know a way to split a single excel cell diagonally in order to have it contain 2 pieces of information? Forrest, As far as I know, you can not split a cell diagonally so that it can contain 2 pieces of information. However, you can merge cells which might give you the effect that you want. To do so, go to the standard toolbar and hit Format -> Cells -> Alignment Tab -> Text Control and work with the merged cells option. ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Forrest" wrote: > Anyone out there know a way to split a single excel ce...

Reading ranges and copying data from Excel when it is not open
Is there a way in code to copy data out of an Excel file even if Excel is not up and running? If Excel were open, I'd copy, say, the first 30 rows and paste the info to PowerPoint. Then, since rows 1-5 are for column headings, I'd hide rows 6-30 and copy a new range which would look involve 30 rows, but since rows 6-30 were hidden would be 1-5 and then 31-55 as a contiguous block. I am trying to do this in VBA without opening Excel and instatiating objects, etc. Is it possible? What VBA commands would I use? You would need to treat the excel file as a database and use ADO to g...

No files selected in openfiledialog
How can I test for openfiledialog OK clicked without any files being selected? (I'm using it with multiple select as true.) I've tried if openfiledialog1.filenames = nothing then ... and if ubound(openfiledialog1.filenames) = -1 then ... but both these give compile errors. Grateful for advice. Am 11.05.2010 15:46, schrieb simonc: > How can I test for openfiledialog OK clicked without any files being > selected? (I'm using it with multiple select as true.) > > I've tried > > if openfiledialog1.filenames = nothing then ... > &g...

Mode Indicators in Excel?
A good example of a missing mode indicator one for whether th calculation mode is set to manual or automatic. Isn't there any othe way to find out other than going to the Tools>Options>Calculatio dialog? This has messed me up almost any time calculation gets set t manual. Another example is that trying to use stored Custom Views for filtere lists gives the error "Some view settings could not be applied" on som worksheets (usually complex ones), but works OK in others (usuall simpler ones). I know sheet protection is one thing that can caus this (which itself has no mod...

Open File Dialog Help
I am trying to set the m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir to "My Music" on an open file dialog, but can't seem to get it to work right. I would like it to default to the c:\documents and settings\user\My Documents\My Music, regardless of the machine the application is running on. The project is being built using Visual C++ 6.0 Professional, on a Windows 2K machine, but may be running in any Windows environment. Thanks, SHGetSpecialFolderPath(CSIDL_PERSONAL) gets you to My Documents ...

Copy a file with only values no formulas
Is there an easy way to copy a workbook so that it only has the values and not the formulas? Thank you. -- Lee Coleman Right click on a sheet tab and select all sheets. Then select all cells on the active sheet. Do a copy, then Edit, paste special, values. Right click on a sheet tab and select ungroup sheets. Save the workbook under a different name!!!! Bob Flanagan Macro Systems http://www.add-ins.com Productivity add-ins and downloadable books on VB macros for Excel "Lee Coleman" <lee@nospam.jjlgreenhouses.com> wrote in message news:OIOx4$FeHHA.4020@TK2MSFTN...

Log files in Great Plains 8.0
We use a web based program to import orders from our website into Great Plains. We have recently come across some errors where invoices show up with no associated order or customer information. The only thing that shows on these invoices is item information. I believe these invoices are generated somehow by a glitch in the import we do for our web orders. Is there a log file somewhere in GP where I can see what information was entered based on date? Or if anyone else has experienced this problem before, am I correct in my assumption that the "ghost" invoices are being caused by ...

Chart drawing problem in Excel 2003
Over the last few months I have had the same problem in excel with all charts where I've used a two colour fill effect for either a data series or background. When I use this feature the entire chart is only viewable in black and white and excel takes a long time to actually draw the chart. However if I print the chart or even copy and paste into excel all the colours are as they should be. The mpeg moving shows how excel draws an example chart when the chart sheet is activated http://www.paperlessbooks.co.uk/barchart_example.avi and to see how excel prints to pdf see the pdf belo...

Relative File locations
I have a program that opens file #1 in folder XYZ. In this file is a reference to another file #2 in another folder. Is there a way to reference file #2 so if I put file #2 and file #1 in the same folder, the reference will always be made to the folder that contains the file #1, no matter where I may relocate it? Thanks, ...

Auto Filter
When using the filter only the first 1000 unique entries in a list will appear when you click on the arrow. I have more than 1000 unique entries [ie. company names] that I would like to see when filtering. Is there any way of being able to accomplish this? Hi you may have a look at http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits for a workaround Frank Gail wrote: > When using the filter only the first 1000 unique entries in a list > will appear when you click on the arrow. I have more than 1000 > unique entries [ie. company names] that I would like to see when > filterin...

Excel cant SAVE added data?
This is a copy/paste with minor edits from post submitted yesterday ... Excel 2000 ... I have a single page spread sheet (my own) ... built in Excel 2000 (still Excel 2000) that was working fine. After expanding the spread sheet to handle more equipment I received error message stating: Excel can not SAVE all of the added data & formatting ... Here I had the option to select OK without fixing ... CANCEL ... or ... HELP. I selected HELP & ended up on a blank HELP Page ... So now I am turning to this board. Anybody know what gives? Could I be running into a formatting limit i...

Answer file local admin password
Hi, I am trying to apply a local admin password to all PC's during my ghost roll out. Everthing works from my answer file with the only exception the local admin password is not applied. Here is the current part of my answer file [GuiUnattended] AdminPassword="R0ver" EncryptedAdminPassword=NO ...

Coloured wheel of death with excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I get a coloured wheel of death every time i use excel from office 2008, almost every time I type into a cell, for about 3 - 6 seconds. I've looked on here and there seems to be a lot of discussion about hp drivers, but I don't have an hp printer. I'm working in normal view. Can anyone help? First, be certain that both Office (12.2.3) & OS X (10.6.2) are fully updated. Run Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions, then see if things improve after a restart of your Mac. If things are still ...

Importing large tab-delimited text files?
I deal with very large data sets that are in tab-delimited .txt format. Many times, there are more than 256 columns of data. The Microsoft Knowledge Base had an article titled "Sample Macro to Import Data with More Than 256 Fields or Columns". This could do the trick for me if I could modify the macro to accomodate tab-delimited formats. Q1: Could anyone tell me how to modify the macro described above for tab-delimited .txt files? Q2: Does anyone know of a bulk file conversion utility that would change a tab-delimited text file to a CSV format? Thanks a bunch, Mark R-S Ma...

Schedueled Auto Send .xls File to Receipients
I have an MS2007...I have a progress tracking excel spreadsheet that I must send to certain associates on a biweekly basis. What functionality exists or coding is reqiuried for my document to be automatically sent to selected receipients on a scheduled basis until the project is complete? ...