Corrupted Personal.xls file in Excel 97 ??

Oops!  This is a correction to the subject of my previous
posting.  Please excuse me.
I am using Excel 97.  As of a few days ago, every time I
start Excel I get a dialogue box that says "Personal.xls
is being modified by Milt" (that's me) and giving me three
choices: (1) Open the Personal.xls as a Read Only file,
(2) Notify me when it becomes available, (3) Cancel.

No matter which choice I take, the same dialogue box
appears the next time I start Excel.  The only way I have
found to stop getting that dialogue box is to go to Progam
Files/Microsoft Office/Office/XLS Start ... in which
folder resides the file Personal.xls and right click on
that file and then select Properties and then check the
attribute Read Only.  In other words, I make it a read
only file.

(a) Does making Personal.xls a read only file interfere
with its function?
(b) Is there any other way to stop having that dialogue
box appear when I start Excel?
(c) Is there any way to delete the existing Personal. xls
file and force Excel to create a new uncorrupted
Personal.xls file? Or would that cause the loss of some of
my customizing settings?

The only reason I can think of for the occurrence of the
dialogue box is that last week, when I was trying to learn
how to create macros,  I may have triggered the problem
I'm now having.

Thanks in advance,

Milt Beychok

0
mbeychok (4)

Phobos:

As I said in my posting, the Personal.xls file is in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\XLS Start

I've done some searching and reading since I posted.  What
I gather is that the Personal.xls file does not exist
until one creates one's first macro (which is probably
what happened when I was trying to learn how to record
macros).  When that first macro is macro is created, the
Personal.xls is automatically created (and stored
in ....\XLS Start), and all one's other future macros are
stored in that file. From then on, whenever Excel is
started, the Personal.xls file is loaded and remains
hidden ... but the macros are available for use.

So I must have somehow messed up the Personal.xls file
which was created while I was trying to learn how to
create a macro.  What I have done now is to completely
delete the Personal.xls file ... and I no longer get the
annoying dialog box when I start Excel.

From my reading, one can also open a new workbook and name
it Book.xlt.  Then one can format and customize the
Book.xlt in a manner that one would like all other future
workbooks to be formatted and customized.  In other words,
Book.xlt is intended to be one's template for all future
new workbooks.  By storing Book.xlt in ...\XLS start, that
template would be loaded and remain hidden whenever Excel
is started and all of the formatting and customizing in
that template would be applied to any future new workbooks.

I gathered the above understanding by performing a Google
search on Personal. xls and Book.xlt and reading the many
returns that I got.  I hope my understanding is correct.
If not, please let me know if I have it right.

It would be a great idea if someone wrote a detailed
article about Personal.xls and Book.xlt with a detailed
step-by-step explanation of why and how they work.

Milt Beychok
0
mbeychok (4)
7/26/2003 10:06:21 PM
Only "global" macros go in the personal.xls workbook. Normal macros that are
for that workbook only will go into normal modules within the current
workbook. However, if someone attempted to write a new macro with the macro
recorder and then selected Personal Macro Workbook from the dropdown in the
dialogue box that comes up which asks where you want to store it, then it
would create a personal.xls workbook at that time.
Richard Choate

"Milton Beychok" <mbeychok@cox.net> wrote in message
[...]

rchoatecpa (136)
7/26/2003 10:32:25 PM
Do you start multiple instances of excel (not just multiple workbooks in the
same instance)?

Do you see multiple excel icons on your windows taskbar?  If yes, then that
might be the problem.  The first instance opens the file, the second says it can
only open in readonly mode.

If this is true, I'd try to stop the behavior.

Close Excel and
Start|Run
excel.exe /regserver

The /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's factory defaults.

If that doesn't work, try:
Try Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

=========

But to answer your questions:

a.  A readonly version of personal.xls won't stop its functions, but it might be
irritating if you record a macro (or simply make changes) in the readonly
version.  My personal (no pun intended) opinion is to not touch personal.xl*
(like recording macros directly into personal.xl*).  I'll record into a test
workbook, revise it there (many saves along the way!).

Then when I'm happy, I'll merge it into my personal.xl* file.

b.  Marking the file as readonly (in windows is one way) of stopping the
dialog.  Saving the file as an addin should work, too.  But then your macros
won't be visible in Tools|macro|macros...  If you already build a
toolbar/menubar that runs your macros, you're set.  If not, you'll have to do
some extra work.

I'd really try to stop opening multiple instances of excel.

c.  Personal.xls isn't the spot where your settings get stored.  (It's not like
Word's Normal.dot which holds lots of stuff and maybe some macros.)  It's just
another workbook that's (usually) dedicated to macros and userdefined functions.

d. (I added this.)  If you really didn't have a personal.xls file until you
recorded the macro and you don't want that macro anymore, you can dump it.
(Save it somewhere else--just in case!)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

And personal.xls is only hidden if you saved it as a hidden workbook.

But other than that, your explanation looked ok to me.

But there is nothing special about personal.xls.  It's just another workbook.
It is usually stored in XLStart so that it starts up there, though.  But other
workbooks can be stored there, too.

And in general, personal.xls is used for storing macros that the user wants to
have available whenever he/she opens excel.

And on top of the book.xlt template that new workbooks are based on, you can
have a sheet.xlt template in your XLStart folder, too.  Then any new worksheets
added to existing workbooks would be based on that template.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

(1) No, I don'r run multiple instances of Excel nor do I
see multiple Excel icons in Windows.

(2) Since the only macro I had on Personal.xls was the
botched one that I tried to record, I came to same
conclusion as you did.  I simply deleted the file and I no
longer have a Personal.xls file.  When and if I ever learn
how to write Excel macros correctly, then I might again
create a Personal.xls file.  Your idea of practicing macro
creation in a test workbook (instead of Personal.xls)is a
good one that I'll certainly do.

(3) Having read further, I now understand that my
preferred global settings should be stored in Book.xlt and
Sheet.xlt and both should be stored in \XLStart

Milt Beychok

0
mbeychok (4)
7/27/2003 12:27:03 AM
Thanks for the correction.  (It's been awhile since I created mine.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

exit excel within vba
Hello All, I have a vba code, at the end of this code I want to exit excel not close. If I close the excel workbook I can not run excel again from the scheduler. Can anyone provide me help?? thanx all. Murat Demir Hekimoglu You want to quit excel? Application.quit could be what you're looking for. Murat Demir HEKIMOGLU wrote: > > Hello All, > > I have a vba code, at the end of this code I want to exit excel not close. > > If I close the excel workbook I can not run excel again from the scheduler. > > Can anyone provide me help?? > > thanx all....

Excel Bar Graph Questions
I want to compare FY08 & FY09 data (By each mth) using excel bar graph. So, on the X-axis need to show 08 & 09 bar graph in DIFFERENT color. What's the restrictions now I can see is ONLY ONE color shown on data on X axis. Anyone knows how to do it? Many Thanks Hi, Did you move one of the series to the secondary axis? If so see http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Ruby" <Ruby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:223C6B4E-345D-40B7-A217-AEA3FA686F...

Can Excel 2007 link with Outlook 2007
I have a list of companies names that I need to add the addresses to. I don't want them to be on the same worksheet. I will need to add compaines to the list from time to time. Also Is it possible to link these addresses with outlook? Thanks, Dan ...

Excel text box #2
Is there a way to set the default text alignment to "center" for both vertical and horizontal in the draw text box? I am using Excel 2000. I found it for the cell default. That's what I want to do with the draw text box. -- Thanks To get the horizontal centering--just select your text and hit the Center Icon on the format toolbar--just like you would to center text in a cell. I had to hit enter a few times (at the beginning of the text) to center it vertically. rvrl wrote: > > Is there a way to set the default text alignment to "center" for both > ...

Writing the DBF file
Hello, All! I have a trouble with writing a database to a file. Here's my code: // Write the file structure SDBFHeader dbfHdr; dbfHdr.nVersion = 0x03; strcpy(dbfHdr.cLastUpdate, _T("3A6")); dbfHdr.nNumOfRecs = m_ctrlList.GetItemCount(); dbfHdr.nNumOfBytesInHdr = 32 + (3 * 32) + 1; dbfHdr.nNumOfBytesInRec = m_nFieldsLength[0] + m_nFieldsLength[1] + m_nFieldsLength[2] + 1; dbfHdr.nReserved1 = 0x00; dbfHdr.nIncmpltTrans = 0x00; dbfHdr.nEncrypt = 0x00; strcpy(dbfHdr.cMultiUser, _T("")); dbfHdr.nIndex = 0x00; dbfHdr.nLangID = 0x00; dbfHdr.nReserve...

outlook 97 no right click functionality in inbox
When I right click on an email I no longer get a context menu. The mouse pointer briefly changes to an egg timer then back to pointer, thats it. anyone have any suggestions? Upgrade to a supported version? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, werd asked: | When I right click on an email I no longer get a context menu. The | mouse pointer briefly changes to an egg timer then back to pointer, | thats it. | | anyone h...

Excel integration of models in various workbooks
I have a few different models in seperate excel workbooks ... one for cars, one for houses, one for retirement accounts.. I recently had the idea to take outputs from each of these models and plug them into a single workbook something like life.xls. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to wrap them (the house and car models) with an interface (VBA?) which I can pass parameters and can call from a macro in life.xls to retrieve the output from. Essentially I'd like each of the workbooks (house,..cars) to be like a callable function into which I can pass parameters, and which return...

Excel missing file
I am a registered user of Office XP Pro. Excel will not start. It is missing a file. In the process of moving, disks in storage. Where can I go online to download the missing file? And, how? ...

How do I change my "Personal Contacts" to just Contacts?
My computer crashed but not before I saved my Outlook folder. The problem is how do I import all of the data (emails, contacts, calendar) into the right places? The old was 2003; the new is 2007. As of now, the old "Outlook" folder is sitting on my new Desktop, which probably doesn't make the most sense. The main issue is that all of my contacts are listed as "Personal Contacts" when I really want to make them just "Contacts" in general and create a subset of truly personal contacts. Thanks. goodguy9544;112956 Wrote: > My computer cra...

Active X Controls Shrinking on Excel worksheet
I have a workbook and sometimes the ActiveX controls such as listbox, options, checkboxes on the worksheet shrinks or expands while clicking on the controls. Does somebody has experirenced same kind of problem or somebody knows the fix. The only to fix this problem is to restart the machine again. Thanks in advance. ...

excel #13
I need to know if there is a way to put a scroll bar with text, as a pull down menu in a cell. Hi Chelo, Check out Data | Validation | List. HTH -- Regards, Zack Barresse, aka firefytr "Chelo" <Chelo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8BB85A00-4175-47C7-A4EF-52260FD5049A@microsoft.com... >I need to know if there is a way to put a scroll bar with text, as a pull > down menu in a cell. ...

non linear regression in excel
Hello I have some charts which I am trying to fit lines of best fits to. The general shape of these curves is something representing '4 o' clock' on a clock. I am trying to do non-linear regression to get the closest fit to these curves but the trendline functions on excel are very limited (ie logarthmic,exponential,polynomial etc) and do not produce a sufficient trendline. I was wondering if anyone knows how I could possibly produce the trendline that I require that fits the data on the curve. Many thanks for your help. Warm regards Nikeel - If the general shape is a singl...

Please help me with my Excel
I have got a new lap top and I have a good antivirus and spyware. my pc works good but once I open Excel my CPU jumps up to %100 and the strange thing is that when I click on other programs my CPU comes back to %4. The more strange thing is that when for example I press F2 to edit a cell , CPU works good but when I press Enter, again it goes back to %100. Here our IT man reinstalled my MS-Office and he did some other exotic operations but there was not any slightest change and the problem is still existing and going on my nerve. Please scientists help me ! I work with Excel 7 hrs per day ...

sqlcmd and Error(s) to a file
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162773.aspx sqlcmd File Names sqlcmd input files can be specified with the -i option or the :r command. Output files can be specified with the -o option or the :Error, :Out and :Perftrace commands. =========above lines are from the URL listed above============= Ok. If I set this command, I get the desired behavior: :Error "./myerrors.txt" (The desired behavior being, if no errors occur, then that file is created, however, it is empty, which is a great indicator for "nothing bad happened") ================= ...

Excel 2002: Can I save all files by just one click ?
Hi, I have 10 working files in an active window. There is no Save All button under the file menu. May I know if I can save all the files at one click without having to exit excel ? Thanks Low This delivers it in 2 clicks ... Hold down Shift key, click File > Close All Then click "Yes to All" in the ensuing prompt to save changes Success? Celebrate it, hit the YES below -- Max Singapore --- "Mr. Low" wrote: > I have 10 working files in an active window. > There is no Save All button under the file menu. > May I know if I c...

Dynamic Excel
Dear All Is there anything that I can do in Excel to my Excel report dynamic? For eg... is it possible to create something which will create results based on figures keyed in... ? Any suggestions would be welcomed... It would be good if u could send me similar Excel project of yours... to me as reference... Cheers --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi this is a little bit vague :-) maybe as a starting point: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot02.html http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/exce...

How do I remove the (blank) from an excel pivot table?
I am trying to create a pivot table from a liston an excel spreadsheet. Many of the items on the list will be blank. On the pivot table, the blank items show up as (blank) - I want the cell to be empty! I tried setting the table empty values but that doesn't work...any help would be greatly apprecated... If you click the small black triangle near the top of the Table, a menu will appear. Just clear the checkbox next to (blank) -- Gary''s Student "MarkfromAZ" wrote: > I am trying to create a pivot table from a liston an excel spreadsheet. Many > of the...

Refreshing a Microsoft Office Excel Chart Object
Can a Microsoft Office Excel Chart Object be refreshed by linking it to an excel spreadsheet? The "chart object" is being copied from the originating excel spreadsheet, using the special past function to make an Excel Chart Object in a Word doc. DonC, Use Paste Special, pasting it as an Excel Chart Object in the Word document. Use the Paste Link button. Now it's linked to the cells of the original worksheet. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- "DonC" <don.cook@farmersinsurance.com> w...

hide the personal
When everytime I start excel, it automatically opens the excel file - personal.xls which store all my macro. How I can hide it when I start excel. Hide the Window from the Window menu and then do a Save All from the File menu. The file will remain hidden next time you open Excel. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com (email address is on the web site) "Lok Tak Cheong" <tc.lok@adckrone.com> wrote in message news:%23CLrZMUWHHA.3948@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > When everytime I start excel, it automatically ope...

Excel 2002 #5
Is there a way to set an excel file to open to the same worksheet regardless to where it was last saved? Trip, In the ThisWorkbook code module, put the following code. Change "Sheet1" to the desired worksheet name. Private Sub Workbook_Open() Worksheets("Sheet1").Select End Sub -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Trip Levert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:095401c3bdaa$69673f90$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to set an excel file to open to the s...

How to convert an excel macro code to a Visual basic program
As it is in the subjec title, this is my question: How to convert an Excel macro code to a Visual Basic program? The fact is I am using some excel macros written for excel 2002 and I want to work with them just like a distinct program. I tried to do it directly, but I faced with lots of errors. Any help would be highly appreciated. ...

Modern.ttf font file requested
Hi, I have bought a Dell computer almost 2 years ago and it already had the modern.ttf font file installed (no, I am not talking about the modern.fon file). I have first reinstalled Windows XP without any problems. When I have installed Windows XP for the second time and thereafter, the modern.ttf file was not installed or it was missing from the Windows XP installation disk. I have looked all over the internet for a possible download link, but have not had any luck. Is there a way that someone would send me the modern.ttf file or tell me of a place to download the file or exactly what sof...

If I closed an excel doc without saving can I get it back? thx
I opened up 2 version of excel and tried to close one, I forgot the other was opened and when I chose not to save it I lost my old one also. If there anyway I can get it back? I tried system restore but that was turned off also ;( Thx for any help! If that file was originally out on the drive, then you should be able to just open it up and have the pre-changes-made version of it available. However, if you were creating it from scratch and closed without saving it, then it is gone. System Restore would never help in a case like this - System Restore does not save user data; it is a...

Error with the Deployment Manager- access to the file \CRM\_xslfiles\1_Create.xsl refused
Dear all, Dear all, Configuration: CRM 1.2 on a SBS2003 with the rollup 1.2 I 'm unable to deploy my customization . Indeed, as usual i created some new customization fields through the deployment manager and i added them to the account form. No problem with this. But when i launched the Deployment Manager for publishing it failed after a while and it seems there is a problem to access to the following ..xsl file: ...\CRM\_xslfiles\1_Create.xsl. Before i didn't have this problem. Strange? In the event log i have the message: "Erreur ProcessImportWorkItem : Access to the file &...

BdStart.xls is locked for editing
Hi guys, This is driving me nuts! I have run into this problem more times than I can count. Does anyone know what it is I am doing wrong or what to do to fix the problem. "BdStart.xls is locked for editing" message appears in every excel file I open. Please help! Thank you so much. Jennifer Jennifer Several Posts about this back a year or two. Can be found at Google. http://groups.google.com/groups?as_epq=bdstart.xls&hl=en One Poster said he could rename it. Try to delete from the XLSTART folder or move it out. You might have to go into DOS to delete it. None of the ...