copyright and worksheet protection

I have two questions. The first is about getting copyright or some other
protection for a worksheet. The second is about incorporating a disabling
feature in the worksheet.

BACKGROUND: I have developed an excel worksheet that would be used as a
selling tool for a specific type of loan. The worksheet would be used by
representatives of companies that offer this type of loan. The worksheet
incorporates the use of the Excel template: "loan calculator with extra
payments". The calculator has been modified. It is my intention to sell the
worksheet to companies that offer the loan. I would like to offer it on a
trial basis.

1ST QUESTION: Is it possible to get copyright or some other type of
protection?
If yes, could you offer guidance? If no, why not, and do you have any other
suggestions?

2ND QUESTION: Is possible to incorporate a disabling feature into the
worksheet? Specifically, I am thinking of something that would cause the
worksheet to stop functioning after a period of time such as 30 days, and
also display a message regarding the disabling. The disabling feature should
not be defeatable.

Thank you for your help.

--
dow
0

Hi Dow,

> 1ST QUESTION: Is it possible to get copyright or some other type of
> protection?
> If yes, could you offer guidance? If no, why not, and do you have any other
> suggestions?

You can ensure your macro code is invisible: IN the VBE select Tools,
vbaProject properties and click the protection tab. Now check the lock project
for viewing box and enter a password.

Important note: This password is NOT secure, there is code available that can
crack the pw in splitseconds.

> 2ND QUESTION: Is possible to incorporate a disabling feature into the
> worksheet? Specifically, I am thinking of something that would cause the
> worksheet to stop functioning after a period of time such as 30 days, and
> also display a message regarding the disabling. The disabling feature should
> not be defeatable.

There are many ways to achieve that, starting with placing a text file with the
first install date somewhere and comparing to that file at each opening.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

0
jkpieterse (271)
1/3/2005 2:52:37 PM
1. If you are self employed you own the rights to a spreadsheet you develop
but not if you did it for use in a company you work(ed) for even if you did
it in your spare time.
However since you are saying it is built on an already existing template you
might want to check out the EULA and the small print regarding this

2. You can try but anyone that knows how to search google should be able to
crack anything you come up with. So it's not a very good idea..
But here's an example

http://tinyurl.com/478s2

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"dow" wrote:

> I have two questions. The first is about getting copyright or some other
> protection for a worksheet. The second is about incorporating a disabling
> feature in the worksheet.
>
> BACKGROUND: I have developed an excel worksheet that would be used as a
> selling tool for a specific type of loan. The worksheet would be used by
> representatives of companies that offer this type of loan. The worksheet
> incorporates the use of the Excel template: "loan calculator with extra
> payments". The calculator has been modified. It is my intention to sell the
> worksheet to companies that offer the loan. I would like to offer it on a
> trial basis.
>
> 1ST QUESTION: Is it possible to get copyright or some other type of
> protection?
> If yes, could you offer guidance? If no, why not, and do you have any other
> suggestions?
>
> 2ND QUESTION: Is possible to incorporate a disabling feature into the
> worksheet? Specifically, I am thinking of something that would cause the
> worksheet to stop functioning after a period of time such as 30 days, and
> also display a message regarding the disabling. The disabling feature should
> not be defeatable.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>

> --
> dow
0
PeoSjoblom (789)

Copy worksheet ---> worksheet
Hi All, I have 3 Worksheets in 1 Workbook.... the worksheets are known as...: (1). Manifest (2). Deliveries (3). Stuffing each worksheet has at least 2 columns that will have the sam information as the others..for example: Manifest has 1 column (A) named Receipt Number, Deliveries and Stuffin also have 1 column that has this column as well. My question is, what formula do I need to apply so that when introduce the Receipt Number in Manifest's Receipt Number column i will automatically be introduced in Deliveries and Stuffing's Receip Number Column? That way I dont have to be intro...

Open a message box if a worksheet is opened
This is a 2 parter. I need a simple macro that states how many times a worksheet has been opened today. I want the results to reflect in cell A1. Then when A1>0 (as the sheet is opened), I need a message box to open to display a simple sentence which can then be closed by clicking an OK button. Here's thanking you in advance. Michael Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() With Me.Range("A1") If .Value > 0 Then MsgBox "Sheet opened " & .Value & " times", vbOKOnly .Value = .Value + 1 End If End Wit...

Display worksheet with prompt/button
I was wondering if there is a way to have Excel prompt the user with question, then open up a worksheet based on the answer to tha question? For example, when Excel opens it could ask the user to make th appropriate choice about what part of the workbook they want to use then open up the corresponding worksheet....ie. if the user wants th "apples" worksheet they could select the apples button and if they wan the "oranges" worksheet they could select the oranges button and woul be taken to the appropriate worksheet based on the button they select -- Message posted from h...

How do I setup a worksheet to track gas mileage/gallon?
I want to keep track of how much gas I'm using per gallon in my truck. Hi Billymick, You can get as complicated as you want doing this but in the simplest terms it can be done with a couple of columns of data:- start miles end miles Distance Fuel added mpg 1000 3000 2000 100 20 Distance is a formula = B2-A2 mpg is also a formula =C2/D2 Start miles is taken from you odometer Fuel added is what you put in at the pump So the next time you fuel up, start miles would be 3000 and end miles would be you odometer reading and you would drag the formula down. Mike "billymick"...

Protect Code
I understand it is difficult to protect vba code. What Im looking for is all possible methods that could be used to make it very difficult to access the VBA code. I plan on releasing a template as trialware and plan on using various protection. I am intrested in any methods that can slow the process or create obsticles to prevent the changing of code. Hi with VBA: no real way to protect it. Nearly everything can be circumvented in a couple of minutes. Only secure solution: Use COM addins (created with VB or another programming language) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "...

Pictures in Cells
Hello, I teach elementary computers, and I often make my own online worksheets for the kids. I am making an "ABC Order" sheet where I have pictures of animals in one column and pictures of animal names (as opposed to just typing the names in the cells) in another column. The kids will slide the names into alphabetical order, then slide the picture of the animal next to it. My question is this; is there a way to "protect" or "lock" the pictures so that the kids can move them but not accidentally resize them? I have tried every combination of loc...

VBA copy cell to another worksheet
Hello, I am trying to copy text information from one worksheet to another. I open only the first sheet then I have a comand button by where I want to say transfer the values. La macro give an error at ObjWorshett.Cells(Riga, 1).text = oDO.GetText Errore di run-time '1004'. Errore definito dall'applicazione o dall'oggetto. Thanks in advance! Franco Dim oDO As New DataObject oDO.SetText [B2].Value oDO.PutInClipboard Dim ObjWorshett As Worksheet Dim strNomeFile As String strNomeFile = "\\srv01\Dp\ANTONELLA\sblocco.xls" Set ObjWorshett = Appli...

Updating Excel Worksheet
I have an Excel worksheet that I created from a flat file and then added some other information. Is there any way to take a new flat file (updated info) and merge it into the worksheet? If so how would I deal with dups. ...

Viewing Worksheets withing One Workbook
My PC Excel (2002) allows me to have many worksheets within one workbook. I can see the tabs at the bottom of the workbook to access each sheet. Does it work the same in the Mac 2004 Excel? The MAC person I am sending my PC workbook to says he can only see one worksheet when there should be four. He doesn't see any tabs at the bottom showing the different sheet names. What can I have him look for to find these sheets? Thanks once again :) No Tabs can be seen? In Excel for Windows you would go to Tools>Options>View> and checkmark "Sheet Tabs" or hit CTRL + P...

Very Slow Worksheet Calculation
I have code that runs on activation of a sheet to unprotect it, filter out zero rows, and reprotect. Since I added this code to the workbook it calculates very slowly - not only the sheet it runs on, but all sheets. I am fairly new to use of VBA. See code: Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() ' ' Autofilter Macro ' ' Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual Application.ScreenUpdating = False ActiveSheet.Unprotect ActiveSheet.Range("$A$1:$N$74").Autofilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="<>0", _ Oper...

Copying rows identified by countifs function to seperate worksheet
In excel 2007 is there a way of copying rows identified by the countifs function, into a seperate sheet For example: A B C 1 John Yes Top 2 Peter No Bottom 3 Jack Yes Top 4 Paul No Bottom 5 Mike No Top 6 Harry Yes Bottom If I had the following function: =countifs(B:B, "Yes", C:...

Frozen worksheet section to show on all other worksheets
I have created a "Navigation" tab that has buttons using macros that take you to all the other tabs in my workbook. I used VBA code to hide all my tabs except for the Navigation one. This way I can click on button that take you to the tab but its all seamless to the viewer and makes it more like a dashboard. The problem is that I have to keep going back to the dashboard to choose another tab or add all the buttons to every tab. Is there a way to permanently split the windows or show that appropriate area of the navigation page at the top of every tab so i have all...

SSL protection won't work with other than port 25
Hi, We have problems with secured smtp connections. ISPs in Finland block port 25 to outside smtp server, so we are using port 7725 as secondary port to smtp. I made proper configurations to smtp virtual server so that it listens also 7725. This configuration works when I dont' user secured connections, but when I enable ssl protection in outlook it doesn't work, port 25 works same time as it should. I tried to test smtp with telnet to port 7725 and it responded fine if ssl wasn't required (and I could sent mails), and if I put ssl required mode on, it asked starttls as it...

How? compare two worksheets and identify rows of data that appear on both.
Ok, Suppose I have 2 worksheets. Sheet 1 has 1000 lines of data spanning xNumber of columns. Sheet 2 has 500 lines of data, also spanning the same number of columns. An unknown number of identical lines of data appear on both sheets. How can I get to a point where I can build one worksheet that is a composite of both sheets - such that no identical line of data appears twice on the final sheet? Thanks in advance, Simon. You could do this several ways. It really depends on your data integrity and what sort of data it is. -- Use a VLOOKUP OR INDEX/MATCH formula to compare the 500 row...

Populate cell with data from another worksheet
I would like to flag a cell with an A for active or I for inactve (lets say cell A1) and based on the entry have another cell (G1) populate an entry from another worksheet. The catch being that it will be dynamic in the sense that the data retrieved can be reused if it ever becomes inactive again. So, my dilema is when a A1 is marked active I not only want to populate the cell with data from Sheet2 I also want the cell used on Sheet2 to be made unavailable for future use. When A1 is marke inactive I want the corresponding cell in Sheet2 made available again. Thanks, Todd ...

Can I move a button from toolbar to a worksheet?
Hi all, I need to move or copy filter Reapply button [Data\Sort&Filter \Reapply] from toolbar to my worksheet. Is it possible? Thanks, Arty You could add that button to your QAT I don't think you can drag it to the sheet. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 06:56:56 -0700 (PDT), Arty <artemedu@mail.ru> wrote: >Hi all, >I need to move or copy filter Reapply button [Data\Sort&Filter >\Reapply] from toolbar to my worksheet. Is it possible? > >Thanks, >Arty ...

Excel 2003
I have 12 worksheets, one for each month, in the same spreadsheet file. I have formatted the first one, but how can I copy the formatting (ONLY the formatting) through to the others without having to do each one separately? If you click the intersection between the row and column identifiers in your formatted sheet, this will highlight the complete worksheet. Then click the Format Painter icon, click the second sheet tab and click in cell A1. Repeat this ten times. Pete ...

Selecting Print area in protected worksheet
I have a worksheet where the users enter data, new rows etc. The calculations are at the bottom and I have protected them. However, when I do this the users can no longer set the print area to print. How do I solve this? DRB, I can set the print area with the sheet protected and or the workbook protected in 2003 with no problems ??? -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "DRB" <DRB@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Opening Lotus password protected file
I'm trying to convert some of my old lotus files that are password protected into Excel files. My old Lotus program got corrupted somehow so I can't remove the password thru Lotus. Any ideas on how I might make the conversion? Would appreciate any help. Thank you. ...

Worksheet menu Bar Missing
In customize tools the option to select or deselect the above is missing. Anyone know how to restore it back Cheers Shona Open excel hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window type this in and hit enter Application.CommandBars("worksheet menu bar").Enabled = True back to excel and test it out. If it didn't work, you can kill your existing toolbar file and it'll reset every customization you've ever made. close excel windows start button|find/search for *.xlb rename them to *.xlbOLD Back to excel to see if everything is back to norma...

How do I copy a worksheet from a workbook as csv file
I have a workbook with several worksheets. I want to record a macro that will save one tab, "CSV Data" as its own csv file to another location. Any ideas? Try this one to save the file in C:\ Sub Sheet_CSV_File() Dim wb As Workbook Dim strdate As String Dim Fname As String strdate = Format(Now, "dd-mm-yy h-mm-ss") Fname = "C:\Part of " & ThisWorkbook.Name _ & " " & strdate & ".csv" Application.ScreenUpdating = False Sheets("CSV Data").Copy Set wb = ActiveWorkbook W...

Protection / Grouping
Is there any option that I can select when protecting a worksheet that will allow the user to still use the outlining buttons? Paul Smith I am using XL 2003 for this project. "Paul W Smith" <pws@NOSPAM.twelve.me.uk> wrote in message news:u6dlN8dzKHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Is there any option that I can select when protecting a worksheet that > will allow the user to still use the outlining buttons? > > Paul Smith > > If you already have the outline/subtotals/autofilter applied, you can protect the worksheet in code (au...

protecting a group of cells not a whole worksheet
I would like to protect a group of cells and not a whole worksheet but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. I think this would be the best way for what I am wanting to do. I have a spreadsheet that I send to 13 people. They make changes and send back to me and then I have to up-date the changes. If I could protect all the cells except for the one they enter in - then I could save the file on a shared drive and it would eliminate me up-dating. Is there a way to do this? Hi select the cells for which you want to allow entries. After this goto 'Format - cells - Protection&...

Worksheet is compacted
Hello, I'm not sure how to explain this. I have a Budget wooksheet that now only has 5 columns on it. Somehow about a year ago I removed the blanks to the right. Now of course I'd like the sheet back to normal. If I copy the cells all formatting is lost. What options do I have aside from a reconstruction effort? Please help. Timothy; These columns are hidden. Press CTRL +A Select Format | Columns | Unhide to show all columns again. Mark. More Excel ? www.rosenkrantz.nl or contact@rosenkrantz.nl -----------------------------------------------------------------...

Macro to copy & paste-special-values data to selected worksheets
I have a workbook containing worksheets called “List-1”, “List-2”, “List-3”, “List-4” and many other worksheet “templates”. I need a macro to perform the following: 1. On any of the particular worksheet templates, copy the data on the entire row for all rows within the range A1:H50 only if the value for that row in column H is greater than 0, and then “paste special values” the data on the worksheet called “List-1” starting at cell A1. In other words, for any row within the range that has a value in column H that is greater than 0, the entire row of data in column A-H will be...