copying Word-Table to Excel

When copying a table (where a table item contains
formatted text with "line breaks") to Excel, each "line
break" generates a new sub-row and not, as wanted, an
equivalent "line break" in the corresponding excel cell
(which can be generated manually by pressing ALT+ENTER).

How can I reach this?
Is it, alternativly, possible to generate the ALT+ENTER in
Excel automaticly by using a special control caracter in
the "replace" field of the search&replace function?

Peter
0
ppccc (1)

If you change the table in Word to use a special character instead of a carriage return, then
when you get it into Excel you can replace that character with character number 10. To do that,
in the Replace with box, hold down the ALT key and on the numeric keypad type 0010.

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:53:07 -0700, "peter" <ppccc@web.de> wrote:

>When copying a table (where a table item contains
>formatted text with "line breaks") to Excel, each "line
>break" generates a new sub-row and not, as wanted, an
>equivalent "line break" in the corresponding excel cell
>(which can be generated manually by pressing ALT+ENTER).
>
>How can I reach this?
>Is it, alternativly, possible to generate the ALT+ENTER in
>Excel automaticly by using a special control caracter in
>the "replace" field of the search&replace function?
>
>Peter

0
myrnalarson (223)
8/29/2003 7:57:54 PM
Just to add to Myrna's reply:

That table in word can contain both the newline ^l and new paragraph ^p marks.
Each of these cause trouble in excel.  So change both of them to that special
character.  (I like to use $$$$$.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Sorting by Color in Excel 2000
I want to sort text by color. I have a worksheet with some rows in black font and some in red. I need to group the rows in red font together. Is there anyway to sort by color? Thanks Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm not possible without VBA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Greg" <gregor1974@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0ce901c4ac89$2be98dc0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I want to sort text by color. I have a worksheet with > some rows in black font and some in red. I need to group > the rows in red font together. Is there anyw...

Incorrect formatting opening .csv file in Excel
When opening a database generated .csv file with the following data: "1","10E-024","1" Excel opens it incorrectly formatting the text as a scientific number: 1 1.0E-24 1 If I save the file as .txt, and open in excel using the import wizard, I can specify that the column should be text, and the item code 10E-024 appears correctly. However this is far from ideal, as it relies on a manual step and the file cannot be saved as .csv again - otherwise the same fault happens next time the file it opened. Is there a way of forcing Excel to open .csv files in raw da...

Excel #21
I have another question for this paper that I'm working on and I can't seem to find the answer to. I'm a new user for Excel and I know next to nothing about it. Any help you can give me would be great... The question is: "If you see a spreadsheet with row AND column headings as NUMBERS, what is the problem (if any!!)? Tools > Options > General tab > uncheck R1C1 reference style > OK "allybell1980" wrote: > I have another question for this paper that I'm working on and I can't seem > to find the answer to. I'm a new user for Excel...

Merging Excel Sheet with Excel Sheet (Just like in MS Word!)
Hi everyone, Purpose: create classroom roster between one Excel spreadsheet as data source and another excel sheet. I know how to use one excel spreadsheet as a data source to merge with another word document; however, by using this method, I found that the link between the files keep dropping from time to time, especially when the folder has been moved around. I'm thinking of creating the same layout of the Word document in another Excel spreadsheet and somehow "LINK" the data source and the other spreadsheet together, but I'm not sure how, or whether thi...

Push single contact field data into prepared excel workbook
I am new to macros but ameager to get some formulated to help run my small business. I have been trying to find some code which suits my requirement of pushing signgular fields from a contact into a pre-prepared excel book which is loaded with the next stage of macro-powered automation. I recieve enquiries both via email and by phone. I use my blackberry to save phone enquiries to address book and Anagram for Blackberry to capture the required contact data from our email enquiry form. Both are then synchronised with my Outlook contacts. Either from the point of creation, or through ...

How to change pivot table source database?
How can I change the source database for a pivot table in an Excel spreadsheet. Our database server has been changed and when I create a new dsn pointing to the correct server, I get an error message indicating that the query on the old server is still trying to be used. Thanks, Steve This should work for you (?) Open the pivot table and click on it. Menu - Data/Pivot Table report. Click the Back button on the Wizard dialog that appears and connect t the new data source -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Word 2008- Save and name with applescript
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a .dot template file that I use daily. I don't have a problem with the rest of the script but i'd like to replace two dialog boxes with text that i've already entered in fields DName and DOB, but for the life of me cannot figure out how to reference or pull the text out of these two text fields in a word 2008 document. Essentially the first two text form fields in the document contain the name and date of birth and i want to turn that into the file name. <br><br>i.e. what i've ...

Read from Barcode Reader in Excel and Auto hit enter
I am trying to read a barcode off an item, it then goes into it's place in the excel sheet but I cannot get it to automatically hit enter, I have to walk back to machine to hit it. As I recall (12 years ago...) there is a setting on the barcode reader to add Line Feed -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Neo" <Neo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB95BB3A-91C8-4965-9528-7D32920B81EB@microsoft.com... >I am trying to read a barcode off an item, it then goes into it's place in > the excel sheet but I cannot ...

refresh pivot tables
if i have my pivot table not set to refresh on open. is there a way to refresh all of them at once. when i want them to be refreshed? does F9 do this? from the help, F9 says this: Calculates all worksheets in all open workbooks. F9 followed by ENTER (or followed by CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER for array formulas) calculates the selected a portion of a formula and replaces the selected portion with the calculated value. SHIFT+F9 calculates the active worksheet. CTRL+ALT+F9 calculates all worksheets in all open workbooks, regardless of whether they have changed since the last calculation. CTRL+ALT+...

Excell 2002 xp
need to enable file sharing so that we can have version control on a Excel document Tools, Share Workbook, select (put a check mark into) the option "Allow changes by more than one user...." Then make choices in the Advanced tab as desired.... MRO "sarosh Tafti" <sarosh.tafti@mcdanalds.ca> wrote in message news:071401c38219$9bcc8110$a401280a@phx.gbl... > need to enable file sharing so that we can have version > control on a Excel document ...

How can I have an initial zero in an Excel cell?

Diagonal Pivot Table?
Hi, I currently have data that looks something like A | B | C 1 | 1 | 5 1 | 2 | 9 2 | 1 | 7 2 | 2 | 4 (but obviosuly many times bigger) If I put this in a pivot table, with A and B on the axis, it would loo something like: _ | 1 | 2 1 | 5 | 9 2 | 7 | 4 This is because it counts (1,2) as different from (2,1). Is there an way to concatonate the two? i.e.: _ | 1 | 2 1 | 5 | 2 | 8 | 4 Let me knwo if this doesn't make sense. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Wait, cancel that! Turns out I don't need to worry. thanks anyway, - -- Message posted from http://...

excel causing system to be in low system resource
Hi all. Whenever i open my excel application, i am always prompted low system resource and have to exit the application. However all my other office applications like word, access work fine when i open them. I face similar problems before and i reinstall excel to solve the problem. Is there a better solution which can solve this problem once and for all? Thks in advance ...

Copy sheet in Excel
Hi Wonder if anyone of you encounter this problem before? When I try to copy worksheet in a workbook, the following prompt comes up, indicating name conflict. "A formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name 'aaaa', which already exists on the destination worksheet. Do you want to use this version of the name? - To use the name as defined in the destination sheet, click Yes - To rename the range referred to in the formula or worksheet, click No, and enter a new name in the Name Conflict dialog box" When I clicked yes, another prompt comes up indicating ...

Change theme colors in Excel
Working in the Excel 2010 Beta version, but I think it's the same in 2007... How can I change the theme and/or standard colors? I can find the colors I want with "more colors" but I have to add to recent colors EACH time I use Excel. Any way to change default settings for the color palette? ...

How to reach through subform to underlying table?
With VBA I've learned to pull data from fields on my subform like this: sbfVendorDetail.Form.[Start Date]. However, fields such as the ID may not be on the subform since the user doesn't need to see it and it would take up space. Is there a way to read the ID field of the current record of the subform without putting the field on the form? "WDSnews" <wdsnews.0640@oregoncity.com> wrote in message news:eQAVmQ$5KHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > With VBA I've learned to pull data from fields on my subform like this: > sbfVendorDetail.Form.[Sta...

how to jump from form to related record in table
I am trying to deal with the limits on updating fields in queries. So, in a form that shows data re orders waiting to be shipped, I'd like to be able to doubleclick on the order_ID number field (let's say order # 02975) and have that cause a related form or table to open at record number 02975. Then, I can directly edit the data that needs editing. Using Access 2000 "Macro builder" and the On Dbl Click event, I have been able to get a desired form to open and have the focus, but I cannot get the related record to be selected. (I'd prefer selected to filtered.) I am ho...

Publish to Sharepoint from Word?
Hello, When we had our old Sharepoint I was able to publish from Word and Excel to Sharepoint. When I try to do that now it does not work. In Word, when I want to publish my document, I was able to publish it to (Office button --> Publish -->) Document Management Server. But when I have the 'Save As' window open, no Sharepoint server is available. When I press the 'Create New Folder (Alt+F4) I am able to add the Sharepoint server. But when all administrative actions have been performed, no Sharepoint server is available in my 'Save As' window. And wh...

[Excel 2003] problem in files with pivottables after install Office Service Pack 3
Hi all. System: Windows XP Pro SP2, Office 2003 Professional + Service Pack 3 I have a problem with some xls files after install office service pack 3. With service pack 2 this files normal open. With service pack 3 after open file displays dialog (my translate from russian) "In workbook ... have contents which can not be read. Try restore contents of workbook ? If you trust source of this workbook, press button YES". If I press "No" - file not opens. If I press "Yes", displays next dialog. This dialog form content a list of corrections in file. Biggest pa...

Lookup table oddity
Hi I have a lookup table that was in an assessment exercise and it refuses to work on one cell. There are two lookup tables in the exercise... one looks up the product code - this one works okay. The one that won't work properly is the second one, which uses the supplier as the lookup value. I tested it out on a computer with 2003 at the training centre where I work and it worked. However, it won't work on my 2007, or any of the computers using 2007 that I tried it on. I can attach the file for anyone who is interested in looking at this oddity. It is driving me distracted...

Combining Excel files
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C39406.568A3A80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have all my timesheets in separate files and I would like to extract = values from each file to use in analyzing my time spent on projects and = time spend doing administrative tasks, etc. Can someone give me some tips on how to get started (e.g.. how to = extract valves from one file to another) Thanks Cory ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C39406.568A3A80 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859...

how to fix cells in excel and other move
I saw alot of excel wher some celles do not move and other move up and down so can any body help me to know how to make it Try this. Click on a cell, say B2 and pull-down: Window > Freeze Panes -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200847 "Bassam" wrote: > I saw alot of excel wher some celles do not move and other move up and down > so can any body help me to know how to make it ...

How to put VBA formula in Excel Sheet
hi there, how can i fix the error for this VBA? Sub PutDate() Range("A1") = "="Date :" & TEXT(TODAY(),"dd-mm-yy")" End Sub pls. help me for this. thanks in advance. EricBB One way: Public Sub PutDate() Range("A1").Formula = "=""Date :"" & TEXT(TODAY(),""dd-mm-yy"")" End Sub Note that quotes within the formula string must be doubled. In article <AA203817-803E-40C2-B617-7B1BDC3E1A59@microsoft.com>, EricBB <EricBB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: &...

Name Cell, Copy Named Cell, And Add All Named Cells
I'd like to be able to have a cell that is able to be copied and then have another location that adds the original cell and any copies of that cell. In my situation, I have a group of cells that get copied different numbers of times each time I use the document. There is one cell in that group and all the copies that need to be added, but I never know how many times I'll be copy that group. Is there a trick for doing this? Thanks. There may be a trick but I don't understand your request. Can you use some cell references for examples. Gord Dibben MS Excel MV...

how do i show figures as words?
I'm sure I've seen a spreadsheet where a number was entered into a cell, and there was another cell which must have contained a formula to show that figure in words (eg. for writing a cheque), does anybody out there know how to do this? It's probably really simple!! Cheers Carolyn See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH Bob Phillips "Carolyn" <Carolyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89E0BBB2-F03E-4383-8BA1-3F0F40AA52AB@microsoft.com... > I'm sure I've seen a spreadsheet where a number was entered into a ce...