Copying info from cells and putting them into a letter

I have a few columns in various sheets in a document, say columns A, B and
C. The range of the cells within these columns is from 7:31. Now what I
would like is for, in a new sheet, I am going to create a template letter
sheet, "sheet13". Now everytime, I enter information in any of the cells
within the columns, A, B and C, I want the information to be copied over
into my template letter sheet, "sheet13". As the information will remain in
my spreadsheets for a while, I only want the information copied over from
new information which has just been inputted that day. I could maybe create
a cell which has the options yes or no for contacted, and so if the answer
is no in this cell, then a letter will be created using the info in that
cell!

Any suggestions if this makes sense?

0
joebloggs1 (11)

I have just read over my first message and it was a bit jibberish so here's
what I want. At the end of a row, I will have a box which when clicked on
will run a Macro to create a letter. Now can this letter be created in MS
Word? If not, then I would like a template to be created as an Excel
document. If it is easier to, I can save the letter template, so that when
running the Macro, within the Macro code, somewhere it can be written "open
###### document." Now, in cell A2 of my template document which will be
saved, I want the name written in D3 of the row which the button to run the
macro is on. Then in cell A4, I want the number which is in F3 of the row
which the button to run the macro is on to be copied over. Finally, in A6, I
want the date which is in G3 of the row which the button to run the macro is
on to be copied over into this letter sheet.

Any hints? I know this is long winded but it's hard to explain!

0
joebloggs1 (11)
5/20/2004 11:10:17 AM
I think I'd use mailmerge inside word.

Some links:

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge

The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave
Rado.

Then I'd use a helper column and put an X in it.  Inside the word, I could
filter on that helper column and only include those rows with an X.

Then after I got everything correct, I'd wipe out those X's in excel.

You could use Data|filter|Autofilter within excel to show just the nonblanks and
get them all at once.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

formatting cells for radar graph
Is there a way to format cells so that when you type in a whole number, it is converted to a decimal? (EX: If I type in 150, I want the cell to format this whole number as .150) I have a radar graph that I have set up to graph product thickness, when the thickness is less than a whole number. Thanks Hi Debbie, Yes: use Tools|Options and open Edit tab; locate Fixed Decimals and set it to 3 However, I think this is "global" and will apply to all workbooks you subsequently open; so do remember to set it off. Alternative: enter the three digit numbers; type 1000 in an empty ce...

Too many cell formats #3
I am wondering if there is any way for me to find out how many cell formats I am using. I know the linit is 4000 and I hve a user that uses very close to that. Is there a report or a third party app that would let me check my sheets fo this information? Thanks and Happy Holidays. I'm having difficulty understanding why there would be so many cell formats? What purpose does this serve? "Adrian" wrote: > I am wondering if there is any way for me to find out how many cell formats > I am using. I know the linit is 4000 and I hve a user that uses very close > to th...

Format Cells Custom Forumula?
How do I interpret (#,##0_);[Red](#,##0) or other similar formulas so I can figure out what is wrong or create a new one for a specific situation? I looked throughout help but couldn't find anything. I know this one rounds the value of the formula and spaces it so if it is a negagive it doesn't mess up the spacing on the page, but I don't know how to read the actual formula to determine what does what. Thanks, Mike See "About custom number formats" in XL Help. In article <F2FEC468-63AE-4F9C-BE97-ED44A6D5CDED@microsoft.com>, Mike King <Mike King@discussi...

my formated column is displaying one cell incorrectly
I have a spreadsheet with 4 columns; the 4th columns is a formula going across the 3 columns a+b-c = d with d preferably equally zero. When I format column d almost all of the columns that equal zero display as a dash (preference). However periodically one or two of the rows will display as 0.00 and I can't seem to get the formatting to change to the dash. I have tried to reformat all columns all other cells and to no avail. Has anyone else run into this issue and if so how have u solved it. The only way I can solve it is to actually put a zero in the cell. If the numb...

Macro/keyboard shortcut to increment a cell value
I would like to set up a keyboard shortcut (e.g., Ctrl+I) that would increment the value of the selected cell by 1. Can someone get me started by pointing me in the right direction? I have some experience creating simple macros in Word, if that is what's needed. Thanks -- PC: HP Omnibook 6000 OS: Win 2K SP-4 (5.00.2195) LAN: P2P with an HP Vectra workstation Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com (11/03/04) One way is to make a macro and assign the shortcut key to it: Option Explicit Sub AddOneToActiveCell() With ActiveCell If IsNumeric(.Value) Then .Value = .Val...

Referencing a Range of Cells
Hi all, I have named a range of cells on one worksheet, say I called (A1:B10) as "My_Range" on "WorkSheet_1". And then I got another worksheet which want to copy the same value on another worksheet "WorkSheet_2" using the name as a reference. How could I do this? Also, could I specify a particular value inside the named range? For example how could I display the B3 cell in "My_Range"? Thanks for your help. Derek C hi. not sure why you would want to do it this way but try this Sub macSetRange() Dim rng As Range 'range to copy Dim rng1 As...

Code to read a cell from every workbook in a folder
Any Ideas about what code would read the formula in cell c3 of ever workbook in a folder and give an array of the workbook names and th formula??? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Something like this? Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim myFiles() As String Dim fCtr As Long Dim myFile As String Dim myPath As String Dim tempWkbk As Workbook Dim wks As Worksheet Dim oRow As Long Dim logWks As Worksheet Dim myAddr As String myAddr = "C3" 'change to point at the folder to check myPath = "...

format cell
How to set a cell so that when I key in [number] follow by [/] follow by [number] and display as number - number I.e key in 3/4, appear as 3 - 4 Not by formatting alone. You could format the cell as text (not general, not a date) and use the adjacent cell to return the string the way you want to see it: =substitute(a1,"/"," - ") After you do all your data entry, you could hide the original column or even convert the formula column to values and delete the original column. crapit wrote: > > How to set a cell so that when I key in [number] fol...

Can you change only one cell size in a workbook?
No. You can change the width of a column, or the height of a row. And next time, please remember to ask the question in the body of the message, not just in the subject line. And if this is related to charting, it is not clear how. Was this intended for one of the other Excel groups? -- David Biddulph "Becky" <Becky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A4504F7-4FA9-44C4-A79C-5E67A9E8C169@microsoft.com... > ...

Clearing Cells
Hi I'm using an Excel sheet for pricing items customers purchase. In A2 I could enter any of 4 prices e.g. £30 , £15, £10, £5 In B2, C2, D2, E2, I have entered the following formula =IF(A2=Rate_30,A2,0) It follows that B2 shows £30 and C2,D2,E2 show 0.00 that works ok the problem is with 200 rows its a lot of zero's is it possible to add to the formula something that clears all the zero's so that the columns are easier to read. This sheet is used on a daily basis so the customer could call in tomorrow and buy something at £15 the £30 would c...

a macro to copy only 2 lines w/i a cell separated by 4 line breaks
Can anyone help me determine how to copy only 2 specific lines from a cell that contains text in 4 lines that is separated using the line break function? Which two lines? You may be better off parsing into 4 cells then picking the two you want Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:31:01 -0700, poltpar <poltpar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can anyone help me determine how to copy only 2 specific lines from a cell >that contains text in 4 lines that is separated using the line break function? ...

Copy rows to master sheet
I have spent more hours than I care to admit trying to figure out the code for copying rows that have updated date to a master sheet. I have a command button on the bottom of four sheets that I want the user to press and send information that has changed to the master sheet. I want them to be in sequential order (no spaces). Upon sending it, I want the changes to the cells to revert to the original state. They are supply order forms. The only thing that changes is the number of units that someone wants and the total price for the units. For example: Sku# Item Name #Wanted Unit Pri...

Copy files from one directory to another...
Is there some simple code to copy files from one directory to another? Basically what I want to do is create a little app for my wife so she can plug her digital camera in to the computer, double click an icon on the desktop, the app runs and copies all the image files from the camera to a directory on her computer, then deletes the images off the camera. I do know the directory names for both the camera and the destination. But I won't know the names of the files. Please help. Thanks, Fred One thing I left out, the camera's memory stick comes acts just like a drive on the comput...

set excel cell value
i'm no expert at vba and have been having a hard time trying to send a value from an open access form to a specific cell in excel. I've been writing a module in Ac2000 that opens excel, names the sheet, and sends some Access table data over. Thanks to Bob Larsons code I was able to do most of this. After a week of trial and error i'm now also able to format the sheet the way it needs to be, plus some conditional formatting that seems to be working out great- now i'm very badly stuck on trying to send a value from an open access form to a particular cell in the shee...

Keep copy of forwarded messages in Inbox
If a message arrives in my Inbox and I forward it to someone, I still want the message to stay in my Inbox. But it doesn't - it disappears to my sent box. I want it to be in both places. Still in my Inbox, with a copy in by Outbox showing that I did forward it to a colleague. This was automatic in Outlook Express so I am lost. How do I force this in Outlook please? Thank you. Linnane Do you have your Inbox sorted by the icon column by any chance since normally Outlook keeps a message forwarded from your Inbox in your Inbox. Check to see how the folder is sorted. "Lin...

Copying an Excel spreadsheet to a Word document
Up until now I have only had to copy either Excel charts or small Excel ranges to Word. I'm trying to copy a whole spreadsheet (which is sized to fit on one Excel page when printed) but I can't manage to fit it into a single Word page. I don't see any sizing handles; I trying playing with the Word document orientation and margins but nothing has worked. This is Excel 1.01 but I am really stuck. What's the way around this? Select the range, hold down shift while clicking edit and select Copy Picture then paste into Word, that will give you size handles -- Regards, Pe...

is it possible to change print ink color based on cell value?
Is it possible to change print ink color based on value in a cell for a spreadsheet application? Example: If a cell's value is over 250, can I have it print the number in red ink to draw my attention to it?? You can use Conditional Formatting (Format>Conditional Formatting) to test the value and set the font colour accordingly. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Dave The Mechanic" <Dave The Mechanic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B63AB99-5824-4AFB-A206-D4CDF1BB9D48@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to chang...

custom a cell
How do make that when I enter 1234 its should come out 12.3 -- shlom ----------------------------------------------------------------------- shlomo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1530 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=34680 Format > Cell > Number > change decimal and symbol -- Cissy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cissy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20107 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread....

ActiveCell.Copy Range("R3C27")
I thought it should be easy. I'm writing a macro. The first part leads the Active Cell to a location depending on the value of various (declared) variables. I then want to copy the value in this cell to another cell on the same Worksheet. The line in the title doesn't work nor do nor do various alternatives involving Paste or Select. I always get the dreaded Error 1004 - and the Help button is totally unhelpful. Does anyone know how to copy the contents of the Activecell to another Cell on the same Worksheet? Stuart activecell.copy _ destination:=cells(3,27) or a...

Matching cells by content then cell fill with color
Thanks to JEM, I am using this routine to color three consecutive cell a specific color, in this case red: Public Sub ThreeCellsRed() ActiveCell.Resize(1,3).Interior.ColorIndex = 3 End Sub What I need now is a way for the routine to continue to find all th similar cells, let's say for sake of disc they are people's names, s when I execute the above on my name, mrh, I want it to continue in th worksheet and find all exact matches and color those same cells red. Another thought, say my name (MRH) is in "A1" and it is also in "D1". But in "D1" I use "...

Moving cursor to another cell w/out selecting entire area
PLEASE write your question in the body of the post and NOT just the subject Have a look here: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm -- Gordon Burgess-Parker Interim Systems and Management Accounting www.gbpcomputing.co.uk "Darin" <Darin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:525460EF-810C-4599-A841-2940CB8E0471@microsoft.com... > PLEASE write your reply in the body of the post and NOT in the subject line. Have a look here: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm -- Gordon Burgess-Parker Interim Systems and Management Accounting www.gbpcomputing.co.uk "Ragdyer&qu...

Error moving/copying messages from 1 folder to another
The following seems to apply to many mailboxes in our Exchange 5.5 environment. I am tryinig to move messages from one folder to another and I constantly get the following message: "Can't copy the items. Some items could not be copied. They were either moved or deleted, or access was denied." I have tried to move these using the exchange admin account. I have tried different versions of Outlook (2000 / 2002). I have tried to copy/move to different folders. I have noticed that I can do one message at a time, but only if I open the message first. Obviously I can do this for th...

Outlook 2007 copying email 1 to email 2 in contacts
I am running XP Pro and recently started to use Office 2007. I also use Plaxo to synchronise contacts, calendar etc. I have noticed that in some of my contacts, even though I start of with only Email1 field filled, after a while I end up with contents of email1 field before copied to email 2 and even email 3. I even exported the contacts to Excel and deleted the contacts in Outlook, deleted the email1 and email2 fields in the Excel field then imported back to Outlook. After some use, the same things happen. I have also noticed some duplication within the Categories (I would have more t...

copy & paste worksheet with print settings into new worksheet
How do I copy the current month's report into a new worksheet and keep the print settinds of the original worksheet in the new worksheet? Not by copy/pasting cells. You can right-click on the sheet tab and "Move or copy" Check "create a copy" and select where you want copy of the sheet to be inserted. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 04:17:02 -0800, Larry Ohio <Larry Ohio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I copy the current month's report into a new worksheet and keep the >print settinds of the original works...

Copy a Price Level in 9.0
Isn't there a way to quickly & easily clone an entire price schedule? ( on v 9.0). For custom pricing for a new customer, I first creates a new price schedule, then add each inventory item to the new schedule one at a time and configure the price levels for each item manually. I would like to have a "Master" price schedule say... "Distributor List" that contains "standard" prices. Can I clone the Master Distributor List by copying it (all the items & prices it contains) to a NEW price schedule "Distrbutor - 01, then edit the Di...