Copying file names and not the actual file

I have a folder in Excel which contains about 500 files
with different file names refering to a different client:
e.g. "Proforma Bill Smith-GS010203" "proforma John Smith-
CS010302"
I am currently tying to set up an Excel spreadsheet and
would like to copy just the file names into the
spreadsheet - not the actual file.
I have been trying to copy and paste, just the file titles
and had no luck, as excel only wants to copy the file.
In Excel you can "Copy" and "Paste Special" if you want to
just copy the values, and I wondered whether you could do
the same for file names?

Help!!!

Justin - UK

Importing into Excel from a Text file
We have a text database of about 7,000 rings. It is in a fixed format. Unfortunately some where we have about 4 or five rings whose format is screwed up. We figured by importing to Excel, we should be able to find where the records are to fix them. But, we just can't get the following format to import into excel. If anyone can help us, we sure would appreciate it! Thank you Greg Gates www.ringdesigner.com Each record begins with Begin Product Each record endswith EndProduct a semicolin seperates each record Also there are para symbols at the end of every line Herer are a...

hyperlink to existing excel file
When I create a hyperlink to an existing excel file and then click on it, explorer opens to the folder that the file is in instead of the excel file opening. Just to test I pointed it to a word document and the doc file opened fine. How do I get a hyperlink to open the excel file? Thanks. Are you sure it isn't to the folder instead. Only way I can reproduce that is if I select the folder instead of the file when I create the hyperlink. As expected if I use a hyperlink to a particular file it will open.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "purplehaz" <software@for.me> wrote i...

Doubble loop to copy and paste
Hey guys :) My table goes like this: A B C D E F ........ _________________________ 1 | 1 Title 1 2 | 1 Subtitle a 3 | 1 Subtitle b 4 | 1 Subtitle c 5 | 1 Title 2 6 | 1 Subtitle d 7 | 1 Subtitle e 8 | 1 Title 2 9 | 1 Subtitle f .... and so on. What I want the macro to do is this; for each value "1" in column A, copy the "Title n" in column E into ...

Save for Web (.htm) file
I have two similarly structured XLS file. One file "A" is much longer...perhaps 2000 rows long...when saved as a htm file it is around 500KB. I take another XLS spreadsheet that looks like the same structure...rows and colums...only about 560 rows...when I save this as webpage .htm it ends up being 11.2MB. What the heck happened? How do I get it down in size. There is no apparent reason why a smaller file ends up being 11 time larger that the smaller file when saved! Thanks, --confused ...

Is there a way to setup excel to prompt for a backup copy upon ex.
I want to automatically create a backup onto a disk each time I exit program. "sonny" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the Subject field. Please take advantage of the Message area, even for short inquiries. Thanks |:>) "sonny" wrote: > I am currently using 2000. Thanks "CyberTaz" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. > > It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the > Subject field. Ple...

point exchange to a different priv1.edb file
I have a snapshot of my priv1.edb file on a different drive. I know that exchange 2003 lets us me the priv1.edb file to a different location if the file isn't already there. Is there a way to have exchange point to a different priv1.edb and use it? On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 21:31:01 -0700, Han <Han@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I have a snapshot of my priv1.edb file on a different drive. I know that >exchange 2003 lets us me the priv1.edb file to a different location if the >file isn't already there. > >Is there a way to have exchange point to a differ...

Adding Named Formulas to a Chart
Guys I've been trying to figure out how to add a named formula to series' field. Do i just add teh name of the formula in quotes, singl quotes, or what? thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Maurice, like this: =workbook.xls!rangename -- DDM "DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tricks" Visit us at www.ddmcomputing.com "maurices5000 >" <<maurices5000.178a3w@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:maurices5000.178a3w@excelforum-nospam.com... > Guys I've been trying to figure out how to add a named formula to a > ...

How do I force all capital in a column of lower case names?
I read the help, but it doesn't tell me where to enter the formula. If you do not have a blank column next to the mentioned column, then insert one. Enter the formula in a cell adjacent to the cell you want to change, and copy down. Then copy this column, go to the original column, select a cel, right click and click on Paste Special, tick values. Delete the helper column. Iow, with you lower case data in Column E, click on Column F, if not empty, and insert a column. F is then an empty column. Say your data starts in E2, then in F2 enter =UPPER(E2). Move cursor to the botto...

Hyperlink Error
I have a hyperlink set-up for a netwrok file. It works fine, but when the file is copied the hyperlin chages to the folder that the file has been copied to. original link - L:\folder\folder\file Changes to - C:\file How can I get it to keep the original link? Justin ...

getting a single line from a file
I was wondering if someone could tell me how to read a single line from a text file. I tried using getline, but my MFC program does not recognize the getline function. Nor does it recognize <string> or <string.h> or using namespace std. So is there another function that I can use in MFC? Roger Take a look at the CStdioFile MFC class. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "R.H." <roger.huggins@intermec.com> wrote in message news:e98o6IMmDHA.1764@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I was wondering if someone could tell me ho...

overwritten file
I have a client that overwrote an excel sheet. He did not have autorecovery on. Is there any way to recover this document? Sorry, no. -- John johnf202 at hotmail dot com "mark" <mark@mwts.cc> wrote in message news:4c7501c356ae$89ae8500$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have a client that overwrote an excel sheet. He did not > have autorecovery on. Is there any way to recover this > document? Backup file is pretty much his only option if one exists. Has he perhaps sent the file anywhere else that he can get a copy back from, or if so he could possibly still have a ...

SDK Q: "taxes distribution(s) does not equal the actual amount" error when posting
I am trying to have our orders processing system properly populate the Great Plains tables so we can TRANSFER our orders to invoices (at which point third-party tools perform so WBS re-distribution) and then POST them to GL. Thanks to rrs1977@gmail.com for your previous help. With that, I've been able to get the system to create orders and batches which Dynamics allows our users to open and Transfer to invoice (and properly triggering our third-party redistribution utilities). However, when they try to post the invoices to GL, an error shows up indicating "taxes distribution(s...

'error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing registration" Project Name
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C80055.07F02D20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="gb2312" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, all I wrote a COM project with VS2003, when I compile this project = ,finally I get the error like 'error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error = code from "Performing registration" Project Name. Any helpful ideas would be highly appreciated! -ja ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C80055.07F02D20 Content-Type: text/html; charset="gb2312" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable...

File Size #4
Using Windows XP and Office 2007 Is there a reason that Publisher files keep growing in size? We have a weekly bulletin with some static information and some information that changes from week to week. On Monday, we open last week's publication, delete the no-longer-relavent text boxes and pictures, and add new text boxes and pictures for the current week. That has been our standard practice. I just noticed that the file size is increasing exponentially which leads me to believe that even though I delete things, there is still some sort of "ghost" material left in the...

Preventing Excel files from being moved or deleted
What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an Excel file on a network? This is more of an network operating system setting question. I would think putting the file on a share that the users only had readonly access would be enough. But this would mean that the users could still copy (not move) the file. And they wouldn't be able to update the workbook. bg500 wrote: > > What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an > Excel file on a network? -- Dave Peterson All explained in Start>Help and Support "p...

Windows Easy Transfer won't load files?
I ran Windows Easy Transfer on my laptop with Windows 7 RC1 to save and move my profile data because Win 7 RC is shutting down. I am trying to install the Windows Easy Tranfer data to Windows Vista Business. Each time I try it won't read the file but keep asking for the drive with the data to be loaded. I tried a test by moving the the data (.MIG) files out of the folder I saved them to and put them in the root of the drive but that didn't help. I tried a test of copying the files to the root of C: and now it actually sees the file for the short test at home I trying in t...

Why receive duplicated copies of every email?
Hi there, I have an Exchange 2003 server. Users are using Outlook 2003. There is one issue with one user's account. When he sends out emails from his Outlook 2003, some recipients sometimes receive two copies of every email. It doesn't always happen, but the majority. He is sending to recipients individually, not any distribution group. If I look at the Massage Tracking from the System Manager, it does show those emails are delivered twice. Any idea would be greatly appreciated, Ross Are they delegates for anyone else on the DL? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replie...

publisher 97 won't import a file graph of acceptable quality.
To MSFT: Let me try this again. I have Pub 97 that I must use for writing a manual. I try to import a black and white graphic-a chart, in jpeg or gif or whatever,but the graphic is of such poor quality that it can not be used. This only happens in my Publisher program. I have tried to change the adapter accerleration reading, but it does not help. Does anyone else have this problem with the older version of Pub 97? Do you have this problem with later versions of Publisher? Any ideas are appeciated. Check your graphics filters. Might have some corruption going on. They are in a folder sim...

List of File Extensions
Is there a list somewhere that contains the file extensions used in Office 2003 applications? I need to backup files before re-installing my OS. These include files that store settings, customizations, macros, Outlook address books, etc. ...

Making Design Gallery Objects available to other files in publishe
Hello, I created some custom objects and saved them to the Design Gallery, and they did appear under My Objects. However, I saved the file and opened up a new one and to my shock My Objects was empty. I opened the earlier file where I created and saved the objects and they were still there. Does this mean that the Design Gallery if file-specific and not saved in a Publisher Application file for use in other .pub files? Perhaps that is the default setting that can be changed later. Please help me on this matter. Thank you in advance for your support. Alcide <Alcide@discussions.micr...

Fully qualified domain name change
When I first installed Win2003 and Exchange we didn't have a fully qualified domain name yet so the installation of Exchange used the email format of "sender@company.local". While this is OK for internal email external email cannot recognize company.local. We now have a fully qualified domain name so how does one change the current "company.local" email addresses to "company.com" addresses? Thanks and I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. -- Gyro You need to 'apply' a new RUS policy to add the new e-mail addresses to each mai...

Change multple table names
I have over 100 similar worksheets with two tables on each sheet, currently with excel inscrutable names. I would like to automatically change the names of the tables to reflect two things: 1. the name of the worksheet 2. conatentate sfr on the first table in the sheet and ct to the second table on the sheet. I've spent the last four hours searching the internet and playing around with this to no avail. Recording a macro gives me this: Range("Table.AthertonSFR[[#Headers],[Date]]").Select ActiveSheet.ListObjects("Table811131517192123").Name = &q...

Automatic open locked excel file through access control
We know,Excel has prompt password to open it files. Is it possible to create a code that can supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we open the excel file through our access control in a form, the excel files can be opened automatically.But when the excel files opened from its default icon,it will prompt a password first. On Jul 10, 8:43 pm, "shiro" <s...@play.com> wrote: > We know,Excel has prompt password > to open it files. > Is it possible to create a code that can > supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we > open the excel file throu...

I can not remove the read only from a file on a cd why
Can someone help me. When I store a file on a cd and then retrieve it, I can not edit it, it comes back as read only. When I go to the file and try to change the attribue within the properties and remove the read only access it is denied. If I save on the hard drive I can make what ever changes I want. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Jeff Smith (212) 929-8024 Jeff, as far as I'm aware, it is still not possible to save a file directly to a CD, as it needs to be "burnt" via burning software . This includes any changes to the file if you have opened it directly from...

Custom name in "from field" in Inbox
Hi, I would like to show custom name on from field in my inbox. By that I mean, I would like to change the way of display name when receive emails. Sometimes, I receive without display name and only shows email address I would like to show my defined name for that. Is there any way to do? Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com JoeBlack <JoeBlack.15roa7@outlookforum-nospam_.com> wrote: > Sometimes, I receive without display name and only show...