Copy/Past Conditional Format

Good morning board ... :)

Presently, I have approx 15 rows by 100 columns loaded
with Conditional formatting ... working ok so far.

Now I need to extend this same pattern down ... maybe
skipping a couple of rows between each pattern.

Issue ... Conditional format formulas are not changing
when I do copy/paste due to $ locking the cell positions.
And if I take the $ out ... then Conditional format
appears to fail where they already exist.

I am certain this can't be unique, but I do not know the
fix or work around ... Therefore, I am coming to the many
Magicians of this board ... Thanks ... Kha

Have you tried the format painter on the Standard tool bar
the little paint brush " highlight one of your row...with
the require format..then single click on the paint brush
for transfering it one or double click on it to transfer
it to mutiple cell...when your done just press Esc that
will deactivate your format painter...

"Ken" <Kenneth.H.Allen@pw.utc.com> wrote in message
> Good morning board ... :)
>
> Presently, I have approx 15 rows by 100 columns loaded
> with Conditional formatting ... working ok so far.
>
> Now I need to extend this same pattern down ... maybe
> skipping a couple of rows between each pattern.
>
> Issue ... Conditional format formulas are not changing
> when I do copy/paste due to $ locking the cell positions.
> And if I take the $ out ... then Conditional format
> appears to fail where they already exist.
>
> I am certain this can't be unique, but I do not know the
> fix or work around ... Therefore, I am coming to the many
> Magicians of this board ... Thanks ... Kha

Conditional format formulas work the same as ordinary worksheet formulas as
regards absolute/relative/mixed referencing and copy/paste. The bit to be
careful about is what this means when you select more than one cell and then
type in a conditional format formula.

As a simple example, suppose you select A1 and B1 (with a1 as the active
cell) and type in the CF formula
=(A1=$A$1)
Precisely this formula is what determines the format of A1. But the formula
adjusts to
=(B1=$A$1)
for cell B1 (just as a normal formula would if copied/pasted within the
worksheet).
You can see this by selecting A1 and B1 in turn, each time going back into
conditional formatting as though to edit the CF.

If you then copy row1 formatting to row 2, the formatting of all four cells
A1:B2 will depend on $A$1. This may be what you want. However, you may have
wanted the formatting of each row to depend on its own column A cell. In
this case, you should have used the CF formula
=(A1=$A1)
(note the mixed reference). This will adjust correctly for B1. However, when
copied to row 2, only the column reference will be fixed and the CF for B2
(for example) will be
=(B2=$A2)

Just like ordinary formulas within the worksheet, it all depends on what you
want to achieve.

0
Paul

Help with conditional formatting with 2000
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to group data together into increments of 10% of th numbers and then chart them based on these groups. For example, I hav 300 data points that vary from 20 to 500 in value. I want them t appear in a chart based on the number of values that fall in the lowes 10% of numbers (ie. 20-40) then the next 10% (ie. 40-60) etc. up to th top 10% of numbers, but I do not want to manually determine what thes ranges are. I want to see a distribution of how many numbers fal within each 10% of values. I am not sure if this makes sense, please let me know...

Copying data from one chart to another

Date Formatting when Concantenating

1 Chart

Report Format

need custom cut and paste functions
Hello, I once wrote here about a problem I had cutting and pasting where columns would turn to "REF!" after a cut and paste. I would work around it by copying, pasting and then manually deleting instead. I thought turning everything in the sheet to absolute references would solve the problem but it didn't so now I am thinking of a different solution. Could someone tell me what I need to do to write my own cut and paste functions which would basically copy the selection and then on a paste it would paste and then delete the original selection from where it was copied from...

copy-paste from excel to powerpoint
Office 97 When I copy a number of cells from Excel to powerpoint, I can't get rid of the grid lines. There are no borders. When I'm in Excel, I see the faint grid lines as you normally would. Unfortunately, these lines also display in powerpoint. How do I stop that behaviour. Thanks so much for any help. Diana Select all the cells you are copying. Then: Format > Cells... > Patterns Then select white color ( bottom right) When the backgound color is set the gridlines vanish unless borders are turned on -- Gary''s Student "Cowtoon" wrote: > Off...

Excel 2003 Copy/Paste filtered column
I have a filtered column on my spreadsheet. I have copied the column, changed the figures and then tried to paste it back on to the filtered column. It is not copying over the original filtered column but rather over cells that have been filtered out. The worksheet/cells are not protected. What could the problem be? Kind Regards Heather That's the way pasting works. It'll hit the visible and hidden cells. Heather wrote: > > I have a filtered column on my spreadsheet. I have copied the column, > changed the figures and then tried to paste it back on to the filter...

Conferting File format
One of my users stored 250 photos on CD in a pdf format. The person that will work with them wants them in a raw format. Is there any way to convert the entire disk at one time to a raw format, rather than opening each file and saving in the new format? Thank you. vsp deborah <vspdeborah@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > One of my users stored 250 photos on CD in a pdf format. The person > that will work with them wants them in a raw format. Is there any way > to convert the entire disk at one time to a raw format, rather than > opening each f...

date/time formatting

Too many different cell formats #6

format cell #4

Copy Matrix Items
I am afraid I know the answer to this already but here goes- I have a prospective shoe store customer who receives as many as 500 pairs of shoes in a lot. Most of the time 50% or more of these shoes have not been stocked before and they don't know what the shoes will be until they get the lot. Because of the nature of shoes they need the ability to quickly enter in the assorted sizes and colors in a run of Men's, Women's, Children's etc. While the New Item Wizard for a Matrix Item works well the customer would like to not have to enter in the size runs each time since they a...

How to copy aQuery to a new Table?
I have a database in a Table, a report based on that same Table and a Query based on that Report. After two months or so I like, after some new data input, to save the Table into a new Object Table. What is the best way for the Report and Query to follow the new Table whitout recreating the original Report & Query? Thankyou for your comments. I use MS Office Access 2007. Joe T >>I have a database in a Table, a report based on that same Table and a Query based on that Report. Your phrasing is wrong when it comes to the elements of an Access database. A dat...

unicode format files for Outlook 2002
I use Outlook 2002. I would like to use Unicode files (for larger size). I see references to using it with Outlook 2003, but none for 2002. can unicode files be used with Outlook 2002? If so, how? thanks, Huck No OL 2003 & 2007 only "Huck Rorick" <huckrorick@groundwork.org> wrote in message news:epYUYAl4IHA.2348@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I use Outlook 2002. I would like to use Unicode files (for larger size). >I see references to using it with Outlook 2003, but none for 2002. can >unicode files be used with Outlook 2002? If so, how? > > than...

Conditional Formatting on cells beginning with a hyphen
Is it possible to do conditional formatting on cells beginning with a hyphen? Thanks, Greg 1. Place the cursor in A1 cell and select the Range 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and paste the below formula =LEFT(A1,1)="-" 4. Click Format Button>Font>Color select your desired font & Background Color pattern and then give ok Change the cell reference of A1 to your desired cell, if required. But keep in mind that when applying the conditional formatting the Active cell should be in the ce...

"Can't copy the items. You don't have permission ..."
I use OL 2003, latest service pack,etc. My PST file is about 1.2 GB and is Unicode-compatible. Lately Outlook shuts down suddenly without warning, and I have left checked the box to restart Outlook automatically. This is a big annoyance. However, in the last 2-3 days, I'm seeing a new kind of problem. I can't delete or move messages from mail folders. I get the message that is in the subject line, and the balance of this message is: ... to create an entry in this folder. Right-click the folder and then click Properties to check your permissions for the folder. See the folder o...

Volume License copy of Windows Server
Gurus, Is there anyway anymore to get a full Volume License copy of Windows Server (e.g., version 2008) which does NOT require Internet activation? -- Spin Start with Vista/Windows 2008, your options to activate are by Internet or Phone. I believe the command that kicks it off is: slui.exe 4 "Spin" <Spin@invalid.com> wrote in message news:84nk89Far1U1@mid.individual.net... > Gurus, > > Is there anyway anymore to get a full Volume License copy of Windows > Server (e.g., version 2008) which does NOT require Internet activation? > ...

time formats #3
I have an Excel sheet with a long list of times spent on various projects. The times should all be in minutes and seconds. The first time reads 2:29 and I know that is accurate, for 2 min, 29 seconds. In the formula bar, it reads, 2:29:00 AM. Another...the cell displays 0:40 and I know that is right, for 40 seconds. But in the formula bar, I see 12:40:00 AM I want numbers, but apparently I am looking at times. I tried changing the format. When I check the format for 2:29, it comes up Custom and says it is hh:mm, not mm:ss. I tried changing it to mm:ss, but that changes the displa...

EXTRACTING UNIQUE RECORD BASED ON CONDITION
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C781BF.08FB92F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello everyone! I would like to extract unique records based on a condition. For = example, how to extract unique record from column 'B' when column 'A' = has "AP" or any other desired condition. The data is as follows: A B =20 MI 70056542=20 MI 70056543=20 AP PATRICK CUDAHY INCORPORATED=20 AP PATRICK CUDAHY INCORPORATED=20 AP SUGAR CREEK ...