Copy data from one cell to another

I have a list of data that looks like this:

          A                     B
1   123-45-6789         5.82
2
3 ----------------         -----
4   234-56-7890         9.53
5
6 ----------------         ------

I need it to look like this:

          A                     B
1   123-45-6789         5.82
2   123-45-6789
3 ----------------         -----
4   234-56-7890         9.53
5   234-56-7890
6 ----------------         ------

I have never done a macro before, so a function would be great if possible.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Dawn

Select all of column A, do Edit / Go To / Special / Blanks, Type  =  but
don't hit enter, hit the UP arrow once and then hit CTRL+ENTER together.
Now select Col A again and then copy and paste special as values.

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

"excel idiot" <excelidiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a list of data that looks like this:
>
>           A                     B
> 1   123-45-6789         5.82
> 2
> 3 ----------------         -----
> 4   234-56-7890         9.53
> 5
> 6 ----------------         ------
>
> I need it to look like this:
>
>           A                     B
> 1   123-45-6789         5.82
> 2   123-45-6789
> 3 ----------------         -----
> 4   234-56-7890         9.53
> 5   234-56-7890
> 6 ----------------         ------
>
> I have never done a macro before, so a function would be great if
possible.

> Thank you in advance for any help!
> Dawn

0
ken.wright (2489)
3/23/2005 11:14:48 PM
Thank you so much!  You just saved me hours of work.

"Ken Wright" wrote:

> Select all of column A, do Edit / Go To / Special / Blanks, Type  =  but
> don't hit enter, hit the UP arrow once and then hit CTRL+ENTER together.
> Now select Col A again and then copy and paste special as values.
>
> --
> Regards
>            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
>               Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

>                   It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-)
>
> "excel idiot" <excelidiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a list of data that looks like this:
> >
> >           A                     B
> > 1   123-45-6789         5.82
> > 2
> > 3 ----------------         -----
> > 4   234-56-7890         9.53
> > 5
> > 6 ----------------         ------
> >
> > I need it to look like this:
> >
> >           A                     B
> > 1   123-45-6789         5.82
> > 2   123-45-6789
> > 3 ----------------         -----
> > 4   234-56-7890         9.53
> > 5   234-56-7890
> > 6 ----------------         ------
> >
> > I have never done a macro before, so a function would be great if
> possible.
> >
> > Thank you in advance for any help!
> > Dawn

You're very welcome, and thanks for the feedback  :-)

--

> Thank you so much!  You just saved me hours of work.
>
> "Ken Wright" wrote:
>
> > Select all of column A, do Edit / Go To / Special / Blanks, Type  =  but
> > don't hit enter, hit the UP arrow once and then hit CTRL+ENTER together.
> > Now select Col A again and then copy and paste special as values.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >               Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

> >                   It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-)

> > "excel idiot" <excelidiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a list of data that looks like this:
> > >
> > >           A                     B
> > > 1   123-45-6789         5.82
> > > 2
> > > 3 ----------------         -----
> > > 4   234-56-7890         9.53
> > > 5
> > > 6 ----------------         ------
> > >
> > > I need it to look like this:
> > >
> > >           A                     B
> > > 1   123-45-6789         5.82
> > > 2   123-45-6789
> > > 3 ----------------         -----
> > > 4   234-56-7890         9.53
> > > 5   234-56-7890
> > > 6 ----------------         ------
> > >
> > > I have never done a macro before, so a function would be great if
> > possible.
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance for any help!
> > > Dawn

0
ken.wright (2489)

Locating a specific cell
Hi This is a simplified example of what I am trying to do I want to display the result for the max and min and also the year and month. In this case the min is 2 in Feb 2009 and the max is 9 in Mar 2010 A B C D E 1 Jan Feb Mar 2 2009 3 2 7 3 2010 5 4 9 -Regards bookman Please note that this is an array formula. You create array formulas in the same way that you create other formulas, except you press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter the formula. If successful in 'Formula Bar' you can not...

Cannot Display All Cell Characters
I have a column in a workbook that contains all text (comments) One of the cells does not display all characters I know that Excel 97 has a 256 character limit per cell. Is there any way to get around this limit Thanks EU Read about in HELP, index, specifications Try using Alt+Enter to force a line break -- --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "exceluser@hotmail.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.co...

several companies (clients) on one physical Ex 2003 server
Hi I get the job to set up an IT-environment, where we can host several companies (20 - 100 users per client) who want to outsource their IT infrastructure. It should be a terminal server environment on windows 2003 with exchange 2003. The clue is to use as few as possible physical servers. Now the question is: I want to host several of these clients on one Exchange 2003 enterprise server. How can I make it possible that they can't see none ressources among themselves (no free/busy-times, calendars, adress books etc.)? they have also different smtp-domains for email adresses. Has som...

Chart Data Recovery
I have a dilemma I have a spreadsheet that only has a chart in it, that was linked to another spreadsheet. The other spreadsheet has disappeared (HD died and data was not recoverable and no backups were made). I can see that the chart still has all of the correct data points in it, because I cna hover the mouse over the line and it will tell me the values. Is there a way to extract the data from the chart so I can rebuild my original spreadsheet. The amount of data is 4 daily readings of 4 different values from the Financial markets over thelast 4 years, so it is a lot of data. Any...

Clearing unlocked cell contents macro
HYCH Would like to run a macro with the following for several pages, but only want to clear contents of unlocked cell within the worksheet, rather than scrolling through and doing it manually? any help with this would be wonderful Steve Try this one. Note that the sheet has to be unprotected to use the SpecialCells function. Sub ClearUnlockedCells() Dim sh As Worksheet Dim cell As Range Dim pWord As String For Each sh In ThisWorkbook.Sheets If sh.Name <> "NotThisSheet" Then sh.Unprotect Password:=pWord For Each cell In sh.Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTy...

Excel macros graphs work on one laptop, but do not on another. Wh
I have macros that generate graphs embedded in a spreadsheet. These graphs also auto populate a title and series names based on the data. On my laptop the graph titles and series names populate correctly, on another they populate with the generic "Chart 1" and "Series 1, Series 2, ...". Is there a configuration setting or something of the sort that would prevent or affect the series names and chart titles from populating correctly? 1> Compare Excel product-versions once, if its different on both machines, install required version to match them with eac...

Transaction data truncated
When I import data from my financial institution all debit transactions start with "Share Withdrawal ATM *POS*"...and then lists the merchant. Since Money only imports the first 24 characters I can't see who the transaction was to - does anyone know of a way to change the settings so that it can import more characters? I know Quicken imports 32, but I don't like the fuctionality of that program. ...

Data conversion tool
We planned to upgrade 1.2 to 3.0 directly, but met some problem of stopping CrystalAPS service. Later on, we found the issue in ReadMe.html, but too late, we had have installed a new 3.0. The question is can we find a way to convert the current 1.2 database into 3,0 by a standalone tool, because I just don't want to roll back to 1.2 and upgrade again. ...

Retrieving data from an inactive Registry
Hi - I recently reinstalled Windows XP clean on a PC, but I did it on a new hard drive. I have the PC's original hard drive, with information in its Registry files that I need to retrieve. How can I export data from these Registry files? Thanks CL Chuck Lavin wrote: > Hi - > > I recently reinstalled Windows XP clean on a PC, but I did it on a new > hard drive. > > I have the PC's original hard drive, with information in its Registry > files that I need to retrieve. > > How can I export data from these Registry files? Use ...

Format of cells problem...
Hello I built a macro that will go through a list of data and higlight in bold type cells that are of a certain value. The values are text e.g. Smith, Jones, etc. I get new values each month from an external source in a .xls file. If I right click those new values they are formatted as general with alignment general and bottom. That format is exactly the same as the ones in the excel sheet that I paste the new values to. However, when I run my macro it fails to highlight cells. For example, suppose for May-05 I have 'Smith' in cell A1 and for Jun-05 I have 'Smith' in...

V-Lookup Data Formats Imported from Crystal
When I use data imported from Crystal in a V-Lookup, it appears to be in number or general format, but the lookup function fails. I can make it work cell by cell if I copy from one list to another, but that is slow! Any way to get imported data into the correct format automatically? -- Hudd Hi try after importing: - select an empty cell and copy it - select your importted data - goto 'Edit - Paste Special' and choose 'Add' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Hudd wrote: > When I use data imported from Crystal in a V-Lookup, it appears to be > in number or ...

Changes not getting saved to data source
Hi. I'm kinda new with ADO .NET. I'm having trouble saving edit and delete changes back to the data source. Adding new record is fine. Only edits and deletes don't work. Here's my code: Dim r As DataSet1.PeopleRow OleDbDataAdapter1.Fill(DataSet11) r = DataSet11.People.Rows(0) r.Name = "Kevin" r.AcceptChanges() Dim ret As Integer = OleDbDataAdapter1.Update(DataSet11) My DataAdapter and Dataset are strongly typed and they were created through VS 2008 data wizard. By the way, I'm using an MS A...

Copying four filtered cells
Thanks to Luke, Edhardo, Jacob Scaria. But my problem is going on. Copying four filtered cells by means of macro ? we know that there will be maximum 4 cells as result of filtering (or we can also assume that we will copy only first four cells (grades)) In Luke' s I have this problem: For example I will copy to A2 from the filtered place. In A6, A7.... THERE ARE DATA. If I make 100 as Luke' s suggestion these A6, A7... are overwritten "Luke M" wrote: > Is it always the same 4 cells? How do you if it the filter will only give 4 > results? &g...

leave cell blank
if a cell has no data for a formula to perform, how do I get the formula not perform and leave the cell blank? try something like =if(cell="","",formula) "Keith" wrote: > if a cell has no data for a formula to perform, how do I get the formula not > perform and leave the cell blank? ...

copying cells #4
I am trying to copy data down. I need to fill each of the empty cells with the data that appears above it before the occurance of the next data item. For example: 9B0B4C504A70A90B14DFDAB0ADBE477D - 464EED0D421A8763AE9E539B278257FC - - 5B0AB65A11D4BA460000459400000000 - - B2D45E0211D550F10100D58698469B02 - Becomes: 9B0B4C504A70A90B14DFDAB0ADBE477D 9B0B4C504A70A90B14DFDAB0ADBE477D 464EED0D421A8763AE9E539B278257FC 464EED0D421A8763AE9E539B278257FC 464EED0D421A8763AE9E539B278257FC 5B0AB65A11D4BA460000459400000000 5B0AB65A11D4BA460000459400000000 5B0AB65A11D4BA460000459400000000 B2D45E0211D550F...

When I copy a formula to other cells, it displays the data ....
in the field I copied from. I did NOT use absolute in the formula. If I double click on the cell with the incorrect data then press enter, the data is updated and correct. What is going on here, I have never had this happen before? Thanks in advance to any answers... -- Jeff Hi goto 'Tools - options - Calculate' and enable 'Automatic Calculation' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "jay" <jay@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:46B66AFC-512C-45AD-A073-AA2FBB1A606D@microsoft.com... > in the field I copied from. I did NO...

Cell Format 04-14-10
In a predesigned workbook, I was entering a date in a cell but it would default to the general format. I tried changing the format in the cells dialog box but it still displays as a general format. The date displays in the formula bar as a date, but not in the cell. How do I get the cell to display the date format that I want? Could be you are in "Formula View" CTRL + `(backquote) to toggle on/off Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 04:43:01 -0700, Angelo <Angelo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In a predesigned workbook, I was entering a...

Change Cell color with macro
hello all, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this. I want to be able to change the background and font color of any cell where text is equal to a specific text. I do not know if I have the right syntax, but here goes If text = "Fail" then Range("A1:J19").Select With Selection.Interior .ColorIndex = 3 .Pattern = xlSolid End With Selection.Font.ColorIndex = 2 Selection.Font.Bold = True Else If text = "Pass" Then Range("A1:J19").Select Selection.Interior.ColorIndex = 5 Selecti...

Access 2007 What is up with correcting my spelling when I put data in a field?
Why on earth would a database (storage device) ever want to correct the spelling of something I put into it? Here is my problem. I created a table with a field as a test for someone and in one of the rows I entered a field with the word Cafe When I queried the database to find all instances of the word 'Cafe' I found 0 results. When I went back into the table to see what was going on, I discovered that the data in the field was change to Caf´┐Ż This to me makes no sense. And even if I can turn off spell checking, why would anyone change the information I'm telling it to sto...

make 2 cell in once
in cell a1 john in cell b1 smith, i want to have in cell c1 both names how do i make it -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com In C1 type =A1 & " " & B1 or =B1 & ", " & A1 depending on what you want your names to look like however, this is now a formula, if you delete column A or B you will have a problem so you then need to select column C copy it, choose edit / paste special - select values and click OK Regards JulieD "yoem >" <<yoem.1ah3xc@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:yoem.1ah3xc@excelforum-nospam.com.....

Integration between COPY journal entries and Analytical Accounti
When we using the function "COPY" journal entries (that is in Transactions -- Financier -- General) although the data of the journal entry is copied, the process omits to copy the dimensions and the data entered in Analitical Accounting Module. The same occurs in the functionality OF CORRECTING, where we can't to edit the accounts to add information of Analitical Accounting. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the messa...

accessing objects of one class into other(urgent)
hello, I have created a dialog based application called "Combo".I have inserted a dialog in my project and added a class for it called midialog.created a menu for parent dialog and now i am dispalying my dialog as modal popup child on selecting the menu of parent dialog.Thus i have created object of my class in the appwizard genereted class called "CComboDlg".And it works fine.Now i want to access some variables of CComboDlg class in my class,so i created its object in my class and accessed the variable.I included the necessary header file too....But on comp...

vb to clear cell contents
Hi, Looking for some very basic VB assistance. I use a range of cells to hold some temporary data, after which I clear the range with a macro. The range always begins at "B4"and has a fixed number of columns, but the number of rows could be between 1 and 15. I currently do this (messily) as follows: Sub ClearCells1() Range("B4").Select Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select Selection.ClearContents Range("B4").Select End Sub which I have now discovered doesn't work if there's only 1 row of data, ...

How do i download or acquire the data analysis plus tool for Excel
I am using office 2003. There are on the CD; put Excel or Office CD in drive do Start:Control Panel | Add/Remove click on Microsoft Office 2003; then on the Change button specify you want Tool Pac -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Lamont" <Lamont@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39249022-B3B4-4D6D-9D7E-C6B7AB9BBF81@microsoft.com... >I am using office 2003. Lamont - "Data Analysis Plus" is an add-in for Excel that has some features beyond those included in Excel's Analysis ToolPak. "Data ...

Copy and Paste a formula as Values in a fixed Range as a loop statement using VBA
I have 3 work sheets i.e. a "Summary" sheet, a "Phase1" and a "Phase2" sheet The Phase1 and Phase2 sheets are a result of certain parameters that are entered separately for each of the Phases that produces the results in them. All the 3 sheets have fixed ranges and they are A2:AC151, the dates are within the range C3:AC150 for each Phase. All the 3 sheets have the same structure something like this A B C D E SAP NO CostCenter Dec-03 Jan-04 Feb-04 422100 DTF-Office 60,000 186,000 174,000 422140 DTF-Office 40,000 124,000 116,000...