Converting rows to columns on a large scale

I have a workbook of names and addresses.  All information is in column A...

John Doe
111 5th st.
New York, NY
Joe Smith
1st St. E
Chicago, IL

etc.

I want to convert this entire workbook to column form as follows,

John Doe                    111 5th St                        New York, NY
Joe Smith                    1st St. E                            Chicago, IL

Is there a way for me to do this without using "Paste Special" and
"Transpose" for each individual entry.....or tediously moving each entry one
by one?

bootsy
0
Bootsy (5)

delete empy rows
Hi, I have a sheet with 3000 lines, I am using only thre coomns A, B, C How can I delete all rows that has empty cells in colomn C i.e. row 5 contains Sam in colomn A , 2 in colomns B , nothing in colomn C. I want to delete this row row 6 contains 3 in colomn A, nothing in colomns B, 34 in colomn C. I want to keep this row. can this be done Khalil Try this on a *spare* copy .. Select col C Press F5 > Special > Blanks > OK Right-click on the selection > Delete > Entire row > OK -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>y...

Unhiding rows
In Excel 2000, someone has hid the first 45 rows of the worksheet. I can't unhide them. The sheet is NOT protected. I tried various things including Edit/Go to/A1/Format/Row/Unhide but nothing works. Any clues? .......Baffled in Ontario row height? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software Granite Shoals, TX donaldb@281.com "Connie" <marverncon@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0b4001c35c24$077545d0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > In Excel 2000, someone has hid the first 45 rows of the > worksheet. I can't unhide them. The sheet is NOT > protected. I t...

selecting rows using a variable
I am using excel 2003 and I need to select rows using a variable. Here is what I have now: Dim name As String name = Range("e800") ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("individual stats").Range("a1:a1540").Select Selection.EntireRow.Hidden = True Dim Start As Integer Dim finish As Integer Start = Application.WorksheetFunction.Lookup(name, Range("Q800:Q881"), Range("t800:t881")) finish = Application.WorksheetFunction.Lookup(name, Range("Q800:Q881"), Range("u800:u881")) ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("individual stats&q...

select and delete all blank rows
I could save a lot of time if I knew how to select and delete all blank rows from a document, and also separate things. An example of separating things would be a list contains fruits, vegetables and meat. I could separate all the fruits from the list easily. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then clic...

Pivot Table Report: Getting average of difference of two date columns
Hello I have data in excel sheet as: WORK_ID PROJECT START_DT END_DT 1001 P1 1/1/2006 1/10/2006 1002 P1 1/25/2006 2/20/2006 1003 P1 3/15/2006 3/20/2006 I want to have a report that will give me average time taken to finish a work in a project. That is, I have to take average of (end_dt - start_dt) for a project group. How do I do this in a pivot table report. When I use a calculate field to get the days worked for a work_id using DATEDIF(START_DT, END_DT, "D") then excel computes only sum on that (pivot table report ...

Trouble with Filters on a large file
Have a huge file, 29000 rows with 6 columns. Ran a auto-filter but the filter stops at the "1001" row. Thought that I was quite familiar with auto-filters until this. Can anyone please help tell me what's worng or what I should do?? Thanks in Advance Michael Think 1000 is the limit for items to display in the autofilter droplist Try Debra Dalgleish's coverage on this at her page: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits for a possible workaround (Look under "Limits to Dropdown Lists") -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xd...

65536 Rows for how long????
Hi there! I was wondering: is Microsoft planning on expanding the 65536 row limit? They most deffinitely should! Best regards, Albert "Albert" <Albert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote > I was wondering: is Microsoft planning on expanding the 65536 row limit? > They most deffinitely should! Why "certainly"? -- Bob http://www.kanyak.com Well, not "certainly", but its certainly my opinion. I think 65536 is not enough. I believe that, among other things, Excel was made for managing large amounts of information efficiently. I think that in this d...

How can I color every other row
Help please. I want to make it easier to use a large spreadsheet where two rows are used for each record. Filling in the background color of every second row prevents mistakes when entering data. I want to color only the used range, not the entire row. I recorded a macro and got the following: TheRange.Activate With Selection.Interior .ColorIndex = 36 .Pattern = xlSolid End With I really appreciate the help. On way: Dim iCtr As Long With ActiveSheet.UsedRange For iCtr = .Row To .Rows(.Rows.Count)....

Rows to Columns
I have data arranged in rows across a spread sheet, for example B2, C2, D2, etc. How can I change that to a column, for example A1, A2, A3, etc without reentering all the data? Thank you --Select B2:D2. Copy the range --Select A1. Right click>PasteSpecial>Transpose>OK If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "Walter Seaton" wrote: > I have data arranged in rows across a spread sheet, for example B2, C2, D2, > etc. > How can I change that to a column, for example A1, A2, A3, etc without > reentering all the data? >...

Converting Outlook Files
I need to convert all my files, (address book, saved messages, calendar etc.) from a computer running XP to a syster running 2000 Professional. If you are using Microsoft Outlook, you just need to copy over your *.pst file(s). From there, you can import the items into your new system or open the *.pst file via File | Open | Personal Folders/Outlook Data file and then drag/drop items between the old folder set and new one. If you are using Outlook Express, you should ensure that Windows 2000 is running IE6/6SP1 (which would be equal to Windows XP/Windows XP SP1 respectively). You will nee...

Filtering rows with tracked changes
Hi I am trying to work out how to filter the rows that have been updated over a period of a couple of days. I understand that you can highlight records with tracked changes in a certain time period � but I would like to be able to just have those rows that have highlighted cells to look at. Any ideas out there? You can list changes on a new sheet but it doesn't allow you to see the whole row. Cheers, Mike P.s � is it possible to highlight changes between dates � I can only see highlighting changes since � ...

Filtered list & maximum no columns problem
Hi I have a filtered list with a considerable amount of associated data, which I am performing calculations on. I have run out of columns for this data. It is not practical to split the data into other sheets, as I am making frequent changes to the filter criteria. Any suggestions? Bertie -- claytorm ------------------------------------------------------------------------ claytorm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=11610 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398516 ...

How to convert closed invoice to active invoice?
maybye anyone has ideas how to solve this problem? ...

How do I Change the Column Names (Re-Name A -
I want to Change the Column Headings from letters to actual names. How do I do that? hi this can not be done. excel needs these to find/remember where everthing is on the spreadsheet grid. you can change the letters to numbers but that is it. on the 2003 menu bar... tools>options>general tab. check R1C1 reference style. or you can get rid of the letters all togeather. on the 2003 menu bar.... tools>options>view tab>uncheck row & column headers. but they are still there, just not visible. usually when someone want to wants to get rid of the column header letters, they u...

Ghost Data/Large Operation
I have inherited a spreadsheet from a former coworker. In this spreadsheet, I cannot add or remove column(s)/row(s) without getting the "Large Operation" message indicating 'this is going to take forever to accomplish and are you sure you want to do this?' That's even for one column or row. I'm almost positive it has something to do with this sheet thinking that the last cell of data is EI1046599 even though there is no data in many thousands of rows and several dozen columns up to that point. My normal solution for this type of situation is to copy al...

Printing Double Columns
How do I get an Excel spreadsheet to print in double columns? The two columns in question are narrow enough for this. Art David McRitchie has a macro that will "snake" the columns. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm Personally, I'd copy into MSWord (maybe hitting NotePad if MSWord slows down when I paste). Then use MSWord's Format|Column to make life easy. AjM wrote: > > How do I get an Excel spreadsheet to print in double columns? The two > columns in question are narrow enough for this. > > Art -- Dave Peterson Dave, That was a...

columns within columns
I'd like to make a single page spreadsheet with the twelve months across the top. within each, i would like 4 or 5 columns representing the weeks.this will be an actual 2010 calendar. the titles for the inner columns will be the date of the first monday of the week. vertical grid lines separating the months are a little darker than the grid lines separating the weeks. the y axis will be the values to be entered any suggestiions? Before you start have a look at John Walkenback's calender @ http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/files Look for Array Formula ...

Visio 2002 Pro database column notes
Hi, I know this question has been asked before, but I'm still not sure where to go from here! I have reverse engineered a database, and fully documented each table and column via the notes fields. It is my understanding that in this version, the notes cannot be printed or exported out. Looking at previous posts in this ng, it has been suggested that this is only available in the "Enterprise Edition". After looking at Microsoft's site, it seems that Visio 2002 Enterprise comes in two versions, Network and Architect. Can both of these access/print the notes fields? The Net...

Change Excel Column Headings from A,B etc to names?
I want to import an excel csv file of e-mail addresses ito googlemail but I do not know how to change the column headings from A, B etc into name and addres etc column headings which google will accept You cannot change the column headers. Use row 1 for your column titles of Name, Address etc. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:46:00 -0700, Sandy Mac <Sandy Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to import an excel csv file of e-mail addresses ito googlemail but I >do not know how to change the column headings from A, B etc into name and >addres etc...

A large number of messages are pending in the e-mail server send q
How can I get around this, I tried force connection, didn't work? Meanwhile store.ex is holding up lots of memory and the main drive is running out of space. Could any of these event create this problem? I just can't explain why some sites recieve our mails and some don't. Thanks - Check outbound smtp connectivity - Check DNS name resolution (if you're not using smarthost) - Are messages in the q for a particular domain? Is that domain valid/resolvable? - Restart smtp svc & routing engine svc - Check event log for any errors. Bump up Diagnostics Logging on MSExchange...

Photos not moving with rows when sorted!
Excel 2000. A worksheet with names of people, and various data about them. Each row is a record--the person's first name, last name, and various data, each column is a field. One column is labeled "Photo", and has a small photo of the person in it. I notice that when I sort the rows, by data in one of the columns, such as "first name", "last name", etc., the photos do not sort correctly with their rows. Why? Do photos just remember their place on the page, their cell position (E7 or whatever), and not the row they are in, are not considered part of the row...

How do I change the scale of logrithmic curve on the x-axis?
I would like to reduce the x-axis range on a logrithmic curve from 10 to 50, but I am restricted to a scale of 10 to 100? A logarithmic scale by definition goes up in decades. You have to use multiples of 10, by this I mean 0.01, 0.1, 1, 10, 100, 1000 etc. You cannot use anything else -- Jon Quixley ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Jon Quixley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25803 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=465768 It's true that Excel's chart engine i...

Comparison of Columns
I have three columns thast represent Set numbers, I want to compare the values in column "B" with those in column "A" find where they match and then calculate how many rows they have moved either up or down and put the answer in column "C" Col A Col B Col C 1127 1129 +1 1129 1130 +1 1130 1132 +3 1102 1102 0 1131 1131 0 1132 1133 +1 1133 1135 +1 1135 1137 +2 1062 1138 +2 1137 1062 -1 1138 1141 You need to provide much more detail. For example, what exactly do you mean by "where they match&quo...

FINDING "EQUALITY" within 3 consecutive columns
I have 3 consecutive columns, A,B, & C with various numbers within each...also there are probably 1500 rows. How do I find the rows where each of the three numbers within that row are equal? EXAMPLE: A B C 1 128 158 188 2 127 128 128 3 211 188 170 4 199 196 165 5 ...

delete a too-large message
when I click on the message and press delete, I receive an error msg "Can't open this message. Outlook has begun transmitting" this message has a VERY large attachment (pictures) Create a new mail profile. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, new pmv asked: | when I click on the message and press delete, I receive an error msg | "Can&#...