converting neg. # to positive ones..

I have a spreadsheet full of numbers like -0.2, -0.4, -0.7, etc. that I
need to convert to positive numbers.. someone at work by mistake typed
in these #s with parenthesis, now excel is reading them as neg.
numbers..  I imagine there's some kind of formula I can apply to all the
cells that contain these numbers to convert them to positive #s, but
don't know which one (I do know how to do formulas..) it's for charting
purposes, so these values REALLY need to be positive values (they don't
need to just LOOK like positive values..)

I don't have a computer at home, am at a friend's house, where I just
opened a news acct in netscape, but at work I have access to usenet only
thru google, and they don't carry the microsoft.public groups, so PLEASE
respond to me by e-mail..  hopefully before Monday morning..  thank you
very much..

Frances Del Rio
www.francesdelrio.com

0
fdr06 (1)

Enter minus one "-1" (no quotes) into an empty cell.
Right click in the cell and choose Copy.
Select the cells with the negative values.
Right click in the selection and choose PasteSpecial,
Then click Multiply, then <OK>.

Clear the cell with the minus one.
--

HTH,

RD

"Frances Del Rio" <fdr06@hotmail.com> wrote in message

[...]

Ragdyer (92)
9/13/2003 12:18:46 PM
You should have given your complete email so we didn't have to go thru a
web site. You need to look at these.

  http://tinyurl.com/n8cl

  http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/help.html

  one answer
  Enter minus one "-1" (no quotes) into an empty cell.
  Right click in the cell and choose Copy.
  Select the cells with the negative values.
  Right click in the selection and choose PasteSpecial,
  Then click Multiply, then <OK>.

  Clear the cell with the minus one.
  --

  Another - from me
  =abs(mycell)

"Frances Del Rio" <fdr06@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I have a spreadsheet full of numbers like -0.2, -0.4, -0.7, etc. that I
> need to convert to positive numbers.. someone at work by mistake typed
> in these #s with parenthesis, now excel is reading them as neg.
> numbers..  I imagine there's some kind of formula I can apply to all the
> cells that contain these numbers to convert them to positive #s, but
> don't know which one (I do know how to do formulas..) it's for charting
> purposes, so these values REALLY need to be positive values (they don't
> need to just LOOK like positive values..)
>
> I don't have a computer at home, am at a friend's house, where I just
> opened a news acct in netscape, but at work I have access to usenet only
> thru google, and they don't carry the microsoft.public groups, so PLEASE
> respond to me by e-mail..  hopefully before Monday morning..  thank you
> very much..
>
> Frances Del Rio
> www.francesdelrio.com

0
Don
9/13/2003 1:37:26 PM
You made us go through tinyurl just to get to something not as good as
  http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100
or even this
  http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*

Besides the PasteSpecial another solution is a macro solution:
  Fix Right Minus sign (#fixrightminus)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrow.htm#fixrightminus
using

          cell.Value = CDbl(cell.Value)
or  what I like better
       cell.Value = CDbl(Replace(cell.Value, "CR", "-"))

---
HTH,

"Don Guillett" <donaldb@281.com> wrote in message news:u1SyswfeDHA.2432@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> You should have given your complete email so we didn't have to go thru a
> web site. You need to look at these.
>
>   http://tinyurl.com/n8cl
>
>   http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/help.html
>
>   one answer
>   Enter minus one "-1" (no quotes) into an empty cell.
>   Right click in the cell and choose Copy.
>   Select the cells with the negative values.
>   Right click in the selection and choose PasteSpecial,
>   Then click Multiply, then <OK>.
>
>   Clear the cell with the minus one.
>   --
>
>   Another - from me
>   =abs(mycell)
>
> "Frances Del Rio" <fdr06@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I have a spreadsheet full of numbers like -0.2, -0.4, -0.7, etc. that I
> > need to convert to positive numbers.. someone at work by mistake typed
> > in these #s with parenthesis, now excel is reading them as neg.
> > numbers..  I imagine there's some kind of formula I can apply to all the
> > cells that contain these numbers to convert them to positive #s, but
> > don't know which one (I do know how to do formulas..) it's for charting
> > purposes, so these values REALLY need to be positive values (they don't
> > need to just LOOK like positive values..)
> >
> > I don't have a computer at home, am at a friend's house, where I just
> > opened a news acct in netscape, but at work I have access to usenet only
> > thru google, and they don't carry the microsoft.public groups, so PLEASE
> > respond to me by e-mail..  hopefully before Monday morning..  thank you
> > very much..
> >
> > Frances Del Rio
> > www.francesdelrio.com

0
dmcritchie (2586)
9/13/2003 7:17:25 PM
Francis,

Insert three columns to the right of your column with numbers in it.
Assuming your numbers are in Col A then insert Col B, Col C and Col D.
In B1 put     =A1*A1
In C1 put     =SQRT(B1)
Copy these down as far as you need.
Select all the used cells in Col C and Copy them.
PasteSpecial (Values) to Col D
Delete Columns A, B and C
The square of a negative number is always positive (-2 * -2 = 4)
The square root of a positive number is always positive.

HTH
Henry

"Frances Del Rio" <fdr06@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I have a spreadsheet full of numbers like -0.2, -0.4, -0.7, etc. that I
> need to convert to positive numbers.. someone at work by mistake typed
> in these #s with parenthesis, now excel is reading them as neg.
> numbers..  I imagine there's some kind of formula I can apply to all the
> cells that contain these numbers to convert them to positive #s, but
> don't know which one (I do know how to do formulas..) it's for charting
> purposes, so these values REALLY need to be positive values (they don't
> need to just LOOK like positive values..)
>
> I don't have a computer at home, am at a friend's house, where I just
> opened a news acct in netscape, but at work I have access to usenet only
> thru google, and they don't carry the microsoft.public groups, so PLEASE
> respond to me by e-mail..  hopefully before Monday morning..  thank you
> very much..
>
> Frances Del Rio
> www.francesdelrio.com

How do I convert an existing MS Excel worksheet tracking a simple. #2
I am a novie Excel user who has tracked the activity of my simple savings account with an Excel worksheet. I would like to set up this existing worksheet to perform autosum functions when I enter deposits, withdrawals, and interest instead of manually doing the math on a calculator to arrive at the balance total after each entry. ...

Re: Converting Access Database From 2003 to Access 97
jixiaoli <jiaxialoli@eyou.com> wrote in message news:... > > Tim <xtimx_wildingx@yah.com> wrote in message > news:27e001c3fc97$6b59bbd0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am developing applications in VB and Access. I distribute an Access 97 > database as part of the system. I have recently upgraded from using Access > XP to Access 2003 to manage the distributed database. Since I still wish to > distribute the database in Access 97 format to clients, I convert the file > from Access 2003 to Access 97 format before distribution. The distribution > database contains ...

One "Resume Next" or two?
Suppose I have error handling code similar to the following: Err_MyFunction: on error resume next rst1.close rst2.close I don't want to see an error message from trying to close recordset vars which are already closed. I actually want/expect them to be closed. But of course, depending on where the error occurred, one or both rst vars might still be open when the error handler fires, so I put the "resume next" statement to guard against this eventuality. But suppose both rst vars are already closed when the error handler fires? In this case, both close state...

Pulling data from one cell to another
A column contains people's first name and last seperated by a comma. Ho can I tell excel to pull everything after the comma to B column an leave the first name in Column A? Thank -- inthewa ----------------------------------------------------------------------- intheway's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=672 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26918 intheway, have a look at data text to columns, post back if you need more help on this -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post a...

copy format and formulas of one report to a second report
I need to copy a report to create a second report, and am looking to know how to globally change formulas to a different table/query. The fields in the two tables are identical, the data results are different. Example of a Current formula: =Sum(IIf([Customer Sat Results database]![The service or information you received was appropriate and help]="Good",1,0)) New report formula would be: =Sum(IIf([Internet Customer Sat Results database Query1]![The service or information you received was appropriate and help]="Good",1,0)) there are about 96 formulas t...

How do I advance the range by one row Excell VBA automatically #2
I am using Sheets(Array("Breakfast", "Lunch", "Supper", "Bedtime")).Select Range("B94:D98").Select but when I run this more than once it overwrites what was put in the first time. ...

Problem when converting handwriting to text
Hi, I have a tablet, Motion Computing LE1700, with Windows 7 Professional 32 bits English. I installed Office 2007 and OneNote 2007 in Spanish. I take notes sometimes in English, sometimes in Spanish. I thought that OneNote could convert handwriting to text in English and Spanish but it is only working in English. When I try to convert handwriting in Spanish (choosing Spanish as main language) OneNote does nothing. No error, no messages, absolutely nothing. The same behavior happens with OneNote 2010 Beta Spanish. Is it correct? How could I convert Spanish handwriting to te...

joining up files to one database
i got a few files i want to join to gether to make one file, so when i click it, all the tabs are at the bottom of the page? hope you understand that cheers for the help Shed, You'll need to do a Move (Edit, Move or Copy Worksheet) to move each sheet (or a copy of) into a common workbook. Then save that. No magic button. Shortcut: Right click a worksheet tab -- Move or copy worksheet is there too. Or you can tile (Window, Arrange) the two workbooks (get them both on the screen simultaneously), and drag the tab from one workbook to the other. Hold the control to copy instead of m...

IM Payroll transactions into one batch
Hi, I know I'm missing something very basic, so I apoligize ahead of time. I'm trying to adjust a payroll integration to deal with a new set of source data. It was recommended that I start from scratch and reference an existing integration. I have everything i need setup (i think). I have the employee ID, start/end dates, hours, etc mapped correctly. the only problem is that it is trying to create a seperate batch for each payroll transaction instead of creating one batch and putting all the transactions into it. Therefor it only ever integrates the first person in the list and ...

How do I convert a csv file to an Excel file?
Hi- My Excel program does not recognize .csv files. I know Excel can easily convert these files, but I am not sure how to tell my version of Excel to do this. It is Excel 2002 on Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks- Anne In Excel File -> Open Change "Files of Type" to ALL Files You should be able to see your CSV file. "Anne B" wrote: > Hi- > > My Excel program does not recognize .csv files. I know Excel can easily > convert these files, but I am not sure how to tell my version of Excel to do > this. It is Excel 2002 on Windows XP. Any su...

Publisher 2007's PDF converter removes transparency from pictures.
Hello, I really would appreciate any help in the following issue. I have some gif pictures in my publisher 2007 document that are transparent (tried this with png pictures too). Everything looks good when I print the document to a printer. But if I use Microsoft's built-in PDF converter then the transparancy becomes "white" and that is not good. My printer requires a PDF and can't work from publisher 2007 files. Any suggestions on how to STOP publisher from getting rid of the transparency?? Thanks! I'm not seeing this. When you move the image over another obje...

convert an angle to degrees minutes seconds
angles are formatted like 90.5 degrees. or 90 degrees 30 mins 00 seconds it shoult look like this 90* 30' 00" (the * is a degree symbol) i odnt know how to get excell to do this See http://cpearson.com/excel/latlong.htm In article <3350A92A-E3AF-4977-B034-CFE6BC454AFF@microsoft.com>, Mac <Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > angles are formatted like 90.5 degrees. or 90 degrees 30 mins 00 seconds it > shoult look like this 90* 30' 00" (the * is a degree symbol) i odnt know how > to get excell to do this ...

How to convert an Excel file to CSV File
IS there anyway to convert an excel file into comma delimited file - I used the Save as and CSV file format, but that didnt help much. Any other options/ways we can do this. Thanks, Damu "Damu"... > IS there anyway to convert an excel file into comma delimited file - I > used the Save as and CSV file format, but that didnt help much. hi Damu, Worksforme, what did it do instead for you. If you view it in Excel it is going to look like nothing changed. View the created .csv file with Notepad such as right click on the file from Explorer (File Manager) and View with No...

Converting PostedFile to an XMLDocument.
I need to convert an HTTPPostedFile I am getting from the client to an XMLDocument. The class I am using must have a document. The following gives me an error when I try and build. I cannot change the converting class. Any help would be appreciated. The error is: Value of type 'System.Web.HttpPostedFile' cannot be converted to 'System.Xml.XmlDocument' The code: Select Case Extension Case "xml" ConvertXML.LoadCMRToTempTables(Session.SessionID, SelectedFile.PostedFile) <<< error here. Case ".B8" ConvertB8.LoadB8IntoTe...

Forcing all outbound mail through one account
I have two ISP's, NTL and BT, so I have to IMO accounts, NTL and BT, in my Office 2003. I only ever connect through BT these days, so I can receive NTL mail (password authenticated) but not send NTL mail (IP address authentication). Is there a way that I can force replies to mail that came in via the NTL account to go out through the BT account? I would expect the origin of the replies to be my BT email address, and that is fine. I can force this change manually, by selecting the account once I'm in the reply, but I'd prefer to automate this task. -- Steve Swift http://ww...

Moving email from one computer to another
How do I transfer email folders from outlook in one computer to outlook in another computer? Thanks in advance Export all your messages to a .pst file from outlook and then import them on the other from that same .pst file. File / Import Export Wizard / Export to a file / Select Personal Folder File ..pst / Select which folder has your mail / Pick the location and the name of the backup file / Then click on FINISH. I hope this helps Thanks "Mickey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:022f01c3c9ac$1a01a860$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How do I transfer e...

Next Date given one date
At this time, I cannot use VBA. Here is my objective: For a given treasury note security: Cell A1, Date 6/17/2004 - today's date Cell A2, Date 7/15/1997 - first coupon date I want to identify the "previous coupon date" and "next coupon date" from today's date based on the frequency of the "first coupon date". Logically speaking: * Security pays 2 times each year * Based on first coupon date, pay dates are: 1/15 & 7/15 * Given today is 6/17/04, the next pay date is 7/15/04. * Given today is 6/17/04, the previous pay date is 1/15/04. Can this be...

Combining data from multiple worksheets into one
I have 4 files with hundreds of worksheets in each file. I need to combine all 700,000 rows of data from all the worksheets in these 4 files into one worksheet to take into Access to append additional data. Is there a way to do this without cutting and pasting the data from each individual worksheet into the single list? I'm using Office 07 and although the data is the same format in each of the worksheets the entries vary in the number of rows from sheet to sheet. Mark This macro will do what you want. The following conditions must be met for this to work. The 4 wor...

Re-assign the records from one user to another
Hello, I know that it should be option to re-assign the records on the 'User Definition' screen (under Actions), but when I go into this screen with the SysAdmin role, I don't have this option. Any ideas? Regards, Inna. ...

I need a four sided program to print on one sheet
I need to make a four sided program, front & back to print on 8.5 x 11 sheet Okay - so what's your question? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "debbie hughes" <debbie hughes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9FA1ECD-6405-4690-BCA3-5AD2FE716683@microsoft.com... >I need to make a four sided program, front & back to print on 8.5 x 11 >sheet debbie hughes wrote: > I need to make a four sided program, > front & back to print on 8.5 x 11 sheet ============================== Choose one of the pre-formatted greeting ca...

How to combine two reports in one chart
I'm working on a shipping report that includes 3 different shipping regions. I created new reports for each region and now I want them to be in one common chart. How do I do that? Byron720;575293 Wrote: > I'm working on a shipping report that includes 3 different shipping > regions. > I created new reports for each region and now I want them to be in one > common > chart. How do I do that? create a table that consolidates your three reports and base the chart on that table. -- teylyn Telyn -- 'teylyn.posterous.com' (http://teylyn.pos...

Converting a PDF of an Excel sheet back to Excel?
Hi Everyone, I have just been asked by my boss if it is possible to convert a PDF of an excel worksheet back into excel!I have no idea if it is possible, can anyone please help in this regard? Cheers Ash You should be able to copy and paste the values, but you definitely will lose the formulas. On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:31:48 -0700, "Ashley" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi Everyone, > >I have just been asked by my boss if it is possible to >convert a PDF of an excel worksheet back into excel!I have >no idea if it is possible, can anyone pl...

match one cell for another one that contains it
I'm trying to do a true/false for a cell that contains info from another cell: A1 = auto A2 = automobile This is the closest as I can get: =ISNUMBER(MATCH("A1",E2,0)) I don't know how to do a "contains" function where all of A2 contains part of A1 to set it to True. Thanks in advance for the help! This forum is great! -- krayziez ------------------------------------------------------------------------ krayziez's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34891 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?thre...

Converting time to decimal then rounding
Hi I have a formula =MOD(T11-R11,1)*24 Where T11 is 22:43 and R11 is 22:34 The difference of these time values is 9 minutes or .15. Currently I am getting the result of .1 because it is not rounding up. The result I need is ..2 -- so that Excel will round .01 to .04 down and .05 to .09 up. How should I adjust my formula? Thanks!! Maybe: ROUNDUP((A1-A2)*24,1) Micky "JB Bates" wrote: > Hi > > I have a formula > > =MOD(T11-R11,1)*24 > > Where T11 is 22:43 and R11 is 22:34 > > The difference of these time values i...

email AWAYS from one account even I tell it to use another email
I'm using Outlook 2003 fully patched, ok I haven't patched the French grammer checker and the infopath (neither of which I use) on Win XP Home SP2 fully patched. Anyhow, all my emails going out are showing up in the sent box with an incorrect email address. When I Create a New Message, one of the first things I do is select which email account the email message is to go out from. I'm selecting my pop3 email account. (The check mark is beside the pop3 account!) I type in my message, press the send button, and the email shows up in my sent box with a hotmail account on ...