Converting data from .wks files to Excel

My old computer had Works programs, and all of my staff
scheduling and budgets are done in Works spreadsheets.  I
need a tool to transfer that data so it will open in an
Excel format.  Any ideas?
0
boynec1 (1)

Open in Works and save as Excel format

"Boyne" <boynec1@northland.lib.mi.us> wrote in message
: My old computer had Works programs, and all of my staff
: scheduling and budgets are done in Works spreadsheets.  I
: need a tool to transfer that data so it will open in an
: Excel format.  Any ideas?

Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can
read.  .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, .csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read.   You
can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS.

http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/converter/wkscnvxls_e.htm

Text from the website above:-

Microsoft does not provide an import Excel filter for Works-WKS files later than version 2. (for
Works-WPD and Word they do). There is no standard way to convert a lot of Works-WKS files into the
Excel format. You need to save each file out of Works manually into XLS which is a pain in the
neck. Here comes our MS Works Spreadsheets to Excel Converter. It does not need a Works
Installation and you can use the batch converting wizard (see right side).
  a.. Completely integrated into Excel 97/2000/XP, no external program
  b.. Imports MS Works Spreadsheet (*.WKS) 3.x ,4.x, 200x files
  c.. Convenient, selfextracting and selfinstalling setup procedure
  d.. Can be removed completely with standard deinstall procedure
  e.. Works with Windows 9x, ME, NT 4, 2000, XP
  f.. Our RL-File-Conversion-Wizard is part of the package
  g.. Converts cell alignments, font styles, etc.
  h.. Excel helper macros to make migration easier
  i.. No need for a Works installation
  j.. Free Updates: Our registered customers can download the latest version from our download
area at any time

Two articles from Microsoft that deal with Works and the files it can open/save as.

Works: Sharing Works Files with Other Programs
   http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-ca;271080

Works: Limitations of Sharing Files with Excel
   http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-ca;269273

--
Regards
                   Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL2K & XLXP

  Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference

"Boyne" <boynec1@northland.lib.mi.us> wrote in message
> My old computer had Works programs, and all of my staff
> scheduling and budgets are done in Works spreadsheets.  I
> need a tool to transfer that data so it will open in an
> Excel format.  Any ideas?

0
ken.wright (2489)

Excel 2007

data input in text box

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

MS Money 95 data files

Excel not Access

Where is the workspace file stored?

help with simple maths in excel

Opening Excel Workbooks

cant start outlook pst file to large

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Sorting Data #5

Convert date
How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? For example: 09-13-2003 to 2003256 Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/jdates.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany gary wrote: > How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a > Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? > > For example: 09-13-2003 to 2003256 On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:24:57 -0700, "gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a >Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? > >For exa...

HELP! remote data not accessible msg

opening .bak file

Trying to read XML file into dataset