Control Toolbox: How do I use the "Combo Box?"

Hi,

I need a drop down box in a particular cell, getting it there is easy, putting what I want in the drop down box/list is not! How do I get a "List" in the the combo box to read: 1, and then under that number I want 2, all the way up to 5. I want it to work so that I can see the drop down box and when it is selected I can see the numbers 1 thru 5 following each other in order, below each other. I have tried "Edit" under "Combo Box Object", that doesn't work! If I double click the "Combo Box" in the cell, I go into a "Microsoft Visual Basic" screen, then I'm lost!
--
Thank you,
Brenden

Hi
why not use 'Data - Validation - List' for this. See:

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

Brenden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need a drop down box in a particular cell, getting it there is
> easy, putting what I want in the drop down box/list is not! How do I
> get a "List" in the the combo box to read: 1, and then under that
> number I want 2, all the way up to 5. I want it to work so that I can
> see the drop down box and when it is selected I can see the numbers 1
> thru 5 following each other in order, below each other. I have tried
> "Edit" under "Combo Box Object", that doesn't work! If I double click
> the "Combo Box" in the cell, I go into a "Microsoft Visual Basic"
> screen, then I'm lost!

0
frank.kabel (11126)
6/10/2004 11:02:35 PM
Show the control Toolbox and click on the Design Mode icon (top left icon).

Then rightclick on your combobox from the control toolbox toolbar and select
Properties.

Click on ListFillRange and type in the address of a range that contains your
values (1 to 5).

You may want to type in an address for LinkedCell, too.

Then click on the design mode icon once more and try it out.

====
I think I'd use the Data|validation that Frank suggested.  But that dropdown
arrow isn't always visible.  (but it's easier to work with.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Can I use sp w/ parameter as row source for a combo box?
I have a working stored proc that takes one parameter and gives me exactly what I need for populating a combo box. The stored proc does sums on the results of a UNION query with 3 very distinct components - the only variable is a 'region_id' parameter. Is there a way to reference the sp as the combo box source and pass in the parameter? I have no problem with tweaking the cbo's properties at run time. If not, then I guess I could define the view to do the summing with the region as one of the GROUP BY's and then in the front end write SQL to only grab the summed ...

what is a combo box?
I am using the education template and I am trying to find out what a combo box is. I need a field on a table that can be added to. I have a student that takes course A and then a month later takes course B. How can I create a field on the students detail sheet that can add to it over and over again. -- Enjoy every day! A combo box allows the user to select from a list of choices. It may or may not limit selections to items already on the list. The list may be derived from a table/query, or you can use a Value List for a few choices that are unlikely to change (e.g."...

How to set the amount of values visible when open a combo box?
How to set the amount of values visible when open a combo box? and How to have a default value highlighted when opened as always the top of the list is visible. Bart Excell 2003 Is your combobox in a userform or on a worksheet? AA Arens wrote: > How to set the amount of values visible when open a combo box? > and > How to have a default value highlighted when opened as always the top > of the list is visible. > > Bart > Excell 2003 On a worksheet. With data from another sheet. The combo is set via Menu > Data > Validation > List. Bart jkend69315@aol.com w...

How do I adjust the font size in a Combo Box?
I have a Combo Box and the font size is extremely small. I cannot adjust the font size through the Format Control (right click) and the font does not increase in relation to the Combo Box (i.e. if I enlarge the box, the font size stays small). I assume you're using the combo box available from the control toolbox, not the forms toolbar. Make sure the control toolbox is visible, select the combo box and click on the properties icon (it's the one with a picture of a hand pinting at a list). The properties window will come up. On the left hand column of it, find the word Font. Click...

Populating cells by selecting items from Combo Box? How to?
I have a combo box with three different house models. I need th spreadsheet to show the square footage of each side of the house fo each model when it is selected from the combo box. Basically I have four cells in a column, Side 1, Side 2, Side 3,Side for each side of the house. Then, next to each of those cells I woul like the values of the square footage to show up when that particula house model is selected from the combo box (the square foot #s ar always the same and can be inputted beforehand) I'm not sure if there is a way to do this without using much code(don' have much kno...

Running a report from a combo box?
I have a student database and I have a heap of queries setup that I run to create pivot charts but most of the data is from a yes/no check box so I'm able to get stats from it. What I want to do those is run reports from a combo box drop down menu that shows me the same data. For example I have a combo box with the home situation, you are able to choose for each student what there how situation is, I can then show this in a report again the child but I want to create a query like the other one's or a report that shows me the number of students and a break up of who has what ho...

How to select query fields based on Combo box?
Greeting, I have a table which has 5 fields, ID, Name, Age, School and Class. I have a combo box which shows the fields of a Query. This combo is located in form which presents all the fields of the table. What I want to do is once the user selects a field for more than one the fields in form shown as selected. Also, I want to make a button for reshow all fields in form. Thank you in advance. ...

Is there any way I can find out how many rows in a combo box?
Hi I have a combo box that displays all the records in my database that match a record being imported, using the postcode. Is there any way I can determine, for the current record, how many rows are in the combo box. i.e If there are > 1 row displayed. Stapes Totaly useless example: Private Sub Form_Current() Dim Cb As Access.ComboBox set Cb = Me.Combo0 Debug.Print Cb.ListCount End Sub HTH Pieter "Stapes" <steve.staple@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1189602453.888135.39110@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com... > Hi > > I have a combo box that displays all...

how do i use one combo box to determine the content of a second combo box?
Hello, I have been trying for several days to figure out how to use one combo box to determine the content of a second combo box. I am creating a database listing equipment by manufacturer and model # I would like to create one combo box that gives a drop down list of manufacturers Then, based on the manufacturer chosen, I would like to have a second combo box which gives a drop down list of model #'s offered by the chosen manufacturer It seems like a fairly simple concept, but I have poured through the "using access 2003" guide with no luck Access version I'm using: 20...

How do you add choices to a combo/combo box?
I've tried looking for help every where. I can create/move/resize the box, but i can only put in one choice. Thank you now for any help I may recieve. Ron You can use a list that you refer to, you can hide the list in another sheet.. It differs a bit depending on which of the 2 boxes you are using. (the one from control toolbox or from the forms toolbar) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9197FC80-7230-46A6-8C59-360EF2C04F7C@microsoft.com... > I've tried looking for help every where. I can create/move/res...

ReadOnly combo box?
How do I set read only property of a combo box? I know that I do it with the SetReadOnly function of an edit box, but this function seems to be missing for combo boxes. I know that property exist, but I want it to look like the read only edit box. >-----Original Message----- >Go To Combo Box properties / Styles Tab / type : Drop List > >Sreeram > >"Jocke" <joape382@student.liu.se> wrote in message >news:00f001c34ce8$448e0e70$a001280a@phx.gbl... >> How do I set read only property of a combo box? I know >> that I do it with the SetReadOnly fu...

vlookup from a combo box?
Is it possible to have a vlookup command that's looking up what a combo box displays? How do I do this? -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/ms-excel/200507/1 Is the combo box from the Forms toobar, or the Controls toolbox? In either case, you can link it to a cell, then have the VLOOKUP operate on that cell. The two work differently, though. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com/ ------------------------------------------- "MA via OfficeKB.com" <forum@OfficeKB.com> wrote in message news:5106191014980@OfficeKB.com... > Is i...

Difference between a "dropdown" and a "drop list" combo box?
They seem to behave the same to me. Thanks for any help. No they aren't. A "drop down" combo box lets you edit the text field while a "drop list" combo box does not. "BillC" <billc@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23dXaIC9PEHA.3524@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > They seem to behave the same to me. Thanks for any help. > > ...

How many characters can be displayed in a combo box?
Access 2003. What is the maximum number of alpha-numeric characters that can be displayed in a combo box? I have a combo box on a form. The ControlSource of the combo box is tied to LongInteger field in a table. The RowSource of the combo box is an SQL statement that selects two columns from another small (<100 rows) table. In form view, the combo box is set to hide the first column, and display the second. The first column, an autonumber type, is the BoundColumn for the combo box. The second column, pulls data from a memo field. In the Query Builder, displaying the RowSource SQL st...

how can i create a parameters entry in query with list/combo box?
I am trying to create a query with parameter entry c/w list/combo box for the user to chose? But i can't. Pls help. Eg. [Enter the Stock Name] { I hope that a list/combo box will come together with the prompt so that the user don't need to know what the stock name} Thank You can't use that prompt with a combo. What you can do is create a form with a combo box/list box where the user can select a value, and in the query create a reference to this combo Select * From TableName Where FieldName = Forms![FormName]![ComboName] You can create a button in the form to open the quer...

Multiple selections from a combo box?
Is there a way to use a combo box to get multiple selections? In other environments that I know about, the user would click on several items, using the control key - I guess Windows Explorer is an example. If not a combo box, how does one accomplish this design task? Use a listbox, with its Multiselect property set to Simple or Extended, to do this. -- Ken Snell <MS ACCESS MVP> "Laurel" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eSd9jDHLIHA.4688@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to use a combo box to get multiple selections? In other &...

Combo Box?
Hi All Can someone KINDLY REFRESH MY oOLD BRAIN COS my memory is failing me.. Can someone kindly help to teach me how i can put the items into a comb box on the userform...? cheer -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi normally against the form initialize event combobox1.additem "item1" combobox1.additem "item2" or if coming from a range Dim rng As Range set rng = Range("A1:A10") for each cell in rng combobox1.additem cell.value next Cheers JulieD "hce >" <<hce.1bu7of@excelforum-nospam....

Bug with Combo Box?
Hi, I have noticed that either on a web page or a desktop application form, Combo box always appear at the top of each control either you change the z index or not. Is that a bug with Combo box or what? Is there any way to send the combo box behind some control (button, static) ? Thanks in advance. Fahad Ashfaque fahad_ashfaque@yahoo.com Change the Z order doesn't work? "Fahad Ashfaque" <fahad_ashfaque@yahoo.com> д����Ϣ���� :05dc01c39f4d$9294cf70$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > I have noticed that either on a web page or a desktop > application for...

How do I make I subform visible depending on the value selected in a combo box?
Hello, On my main form there is a combo box containing five values. If the user selects either value 1 or value 2, I want a subform to be visible, otherwise the subform should not be visible. What code should I put into the combo box 'after update' event to make this happen? Or should I be focusing on the subform's "visible" property? Thanks for your help. George M. How about something like: Select Case Me.cboName Case 1, 2 Me.SubformName.Visible = True Case 3, 4, 5 Me.SubformName.Visible = False Case Else End Select -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, ...

How to update field with value from combo box?
I have frmProductionOperation which is bound to junction table tblProductionOperation with a combo box cboWorkstation and a text box txtOperation. The row source for cboWorkstation is SELECT tblWorkstation.WorkstationID, tblWorkstation.WorkstationName FROM tblWorkstation; tblWorkstation also has tblWorkstation.OperationID which is linked to tblOperation.OperationID The row source for txtOperation is SELECT tblOperation.OperationID, tblOperation.OperationName FROM Operation; My question is about txtOperation. When the user selects a workstation from cboWorkstation I want txtOperation to aut...

Prevent edit on combo box?
I initially added 3 integer values to my combo box, then I set the value of the combo box to the first integer. I want my combo box to ONLY offer these 3 integer choices, but I see that it's possible for a user to edit the value of the combo box. How can I prevent users from changing the front value of a combo box? Thank you! Set the MatchFound property of the ComobBox to TRUE. Check out the VBE Help on 'MatchFound'. -- Hope this helps. If it does, please click the Yes button. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Gary Brown "Robert Crandal&quo...

Tab out of combo box?
I have embeded a forms combo box in an Excel spreadsheet. Everything seems to be working the way I want it to with one exception. After selecting or entering a value I can't tab out of it to go to the next cell. Can this be changed? Thanks ...

how can you chane the font size in a combo box?
wondering if their is a way to change the font size of text in a Combo Box? Hi You can't change the font property of a combo box from the Forms Tool Bar but this property is available if you use the combo box control from the Controls Tool Box. HTH Cordially Pascal "Missile" <Missile@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: C0695889-F9AE-44AC-8D27-F94802F1989F@microsoft.com... > wondering if their is a way to change the font size of text in a Combo > Box? ...

add extra item to a combo box?
Hello, I have a form with a combo box on it and wish to add 1 item to the list. How do I do this? Thanks Geoff PS I can create a new combo box with an extra item but the table does not reflect this extra item ... I can however open the form and move to any record and use the drop down list to add the new item ... if the cbo is a bound object you can use the Not in List event and program it to add the text using ado or doa to the table and then I use a macro to requery the cbo. If it is unbound I am unsure, I have never done an unbound before. "Geoff Cox" wrote: > Hello...

How do I specify data from a combo box?
My problem that I am having is this. Based on the following example table: A B C D 1 2 4 5 a b c d w x y z How do i get my drop down box to input the data from the last column (D) into my table? In one of my forms, I have column (A) for my first drop down box and I want to choose data from column (D) for my second drop down box. If this is possible or not, give some ideas what direction I should take this. Thanks. C.J. I'm a bit puzzled by the data example you provided. It looks like you have fields (A, B, C, D) and rows of data (&...